Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #13081
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
I do mx, dual sport and motard style riding, and this past weekend riding my motard setup on a track day i had the clutch slipping when at full throttle only, feeding it in slowly eliminated the slip but it was slow doing it that way.

After my first session out, i had a look at my adjustment and still had freeplay in it so it couldnt of been the adjustment, but when i went back out on my second session(and every session after that) the clutch didnt slip anymore, so what gives?

If the fingers on the basket get worn bad enough the clutch won't be consistant. I've never worn out a friction pack on a thumper, it's always been a basket problem for me.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #13082
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Where do you guys recommend mounting the vapor/vector coolant temp sensor?

Also, I lost the hose clamps for it (got the spedo a year ago), will walmart bought ones work?
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #13083
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Also, I lost the hose clamps for it (got the spedo a year ago), will walmart bought ones work?
Maybe not, I think walmart doesn't sell metric hose clamps...
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #13084
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Well by that I meant any store-bought ones really. If it's on the top of your head. what size do I need.

I wish I could find them.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #13085
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I pulled my clutch apart to have a look.
Everything seems fine except for the very last steel plate thats just before the thinner fiber plate and those judder springs.
It has a groove in it all the way along the plate.
Ive read some threads where they mention they also have grooves in theyre plate but nothing about if this is normal, so can anyone tell me if this is just normal wear and tear?
Also, reading others threads, they mention theyre plates are alloy( and they upgrade to the aftermarket steel ones), well mine are steel and i bought my bike when it was almost new so i doubt anyone has changed a clutch kit when new, only thing i can think of is that the Australian model came with steel clutch plates or they upgraded along the way(mines 04 model).

Here is a picture of what im talking about, should i replace or not worry about it?

mazman808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #13086
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
What seat is best?

I'm sure this question has been asked before. What aftermarket seats are you guys using? What makes it great and what would you change?
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #13087
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
I pulled my clutch apart to have a look.
Everything seems fine except for the very last steel plate thats just before the thinner fiber plate and those judder springs.
It has a groove in it all the way along the plate.
Ive read some threads where they mention they also have grooves in theyre plate but nothing about if this is normal, so can anyone tell me if this is just normal wear and tear?
Also, reading others threads, they mention theyre plates are alloy( and they upgrade to the aftermarket steel ones), well mine are steel and i bought my bike when it was almost new so i doubt anyone has changed a clutch kit when new, only thing i can think of is that the Australian model came with steel clutch plates or they upgraded along the way(mines 04 model).
Here is a picture of what im talking about, should i replace or not worry about it?

That clutch looks good
What type of oil are you running ?
A non Moly type oil is needed
and if that's not the case and you are running the correct oil then check the clutch stack height, when properly set up one extra steel added to the pack will cause the last fiber to run off the edge of the basket. if not add a extra steel plate and see if you can adjust the clutch
also a heavier spring is recommended (4 of)
I run the heavier springs and a extra steel plate in one bike, and in another bike only the springs the extra steel wont allow me to adjust the clutch.
That grove is not the cause of your problem it looks like a foreign object may have been the cause? it might be normal?
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #13088
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 120
Cold day down under so thought I'd put up some pics of the BRP. I've had this bike for awhile and was setting it up to be my adventure bike for an Australian tour but had some minor problems with earthquakes destroying our city so it was put on hold for a year to let the....ahem.....dust settle so to speak.

This is Australasian version 650R which has lights and switch gear for road compliance. Setup with Protapers, Barkbusters, Moose Racing plate, Givi screen, Ram GPS mount, Pro Moto Billet rack and the 25L Safari tank. Currently rigged with the original Giant Loop but I also have a Denali rack with the subframe reinforcement to be used with Andy Strapz expedition panniers and a Wolfman expedition roll bag. Although the original intention was to try and do an 'alpine style' approach (cut your tooth brush in half etc) with the bike setup so it would still handle in sand etc and the later was getting too heavy in rear IMO. Anyway, included a few pics of a ride through the upper South Island high country recently. The pig's such a great bike to ride out there.

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #13089
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
That clutch looks good
What type of oil are you running ?
A non Moly type oil is needed
and if that's not the case and you are running the correct oil then check the clutch stack height, when properly set up one extra steel added to the pack will cause the last fiber to run off the edge of the basket. if not add a extra steel plate and see if you can adjust the clutch
also a heavier spring is recommended (4 of)
I run the heavier springs and a extra steel plate in one bike, and in another bike only the springs the extra steel wont allow me to adjust the clutch.
That grove is not the cause of your problem it looks like a foreign object may have been the cause? it might be normal?
Ive been using the Fuchs comp4 oil in it for a while, then recently tried the castrol power1 racing and after 2 rides thats when i noticed the slipping.

I checked the measurement of all my fibers and steel plates. found the specs that say 3mm for fibers and 0.30mm for steel, 2.69mm for the smaller fiber plate and mine come up within specs(a bit thicker then what those numbers say as im guessing those number are minimum specs).

What i find odd is that it only slipped for my one session, which goes for about 15min, after that all other sessions it was perfect.
mazman808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #13090
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked before. What aftermarket seats are you guys using? What makes it great and what would you change?
Capt. Egregious, I have a XPC suede seat and I still am VERY HAPPY with it. The seat has gotten even more comfortable with time. Below is a link to my review of the seat a short time after I received it. 200 plus mile days are comfortable on the seat and I figure roughly I have 6000 miles on the seat. IMHO it was money well spent...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5442
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #13091
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
Capt. Egregious, I have a XPC suede seat and I still am VERY HAPPY with it. The seat has gotten even more comfortable with time. Below is a link to my review of the seat a short time after I received it. 200 plus mile days are comfortable on the seat and I figure roughly I have 6000 miles on the seat. IMHO it was money well spent...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5442
That seat looks pretty comfy.
I will be looking for a seat pretty soon and may have to look at XPC.
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #13092
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Renazco. I couldn't be happier with it. I had the stock seat on it before, and I'd get uncomfortable after 20 minutes. With the Renazco seat I have ridden for hours without any issue. It is the best mod I've done.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #13093
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Here's how I celebrated Cinco de Mayo.

gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #13094
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,117
Quote:
Ive been using the Fuchs comp4 oil in it for a while, then recently tried the castrol power1 racing and after 2 rides thats when i noticed the slipping.

I checked the measurement of all my fibers and steel plates. found the specs that say 3mm for fibers and 0.30mm for steel, 2.69mm for the smaller fiber plate and mine come up within specs(a bit thicker then what those numbers say as im guessing those number are minimum specs).

What i find odd is that it only slipped for my one session, which goes for about 15min, after that all other sessions it was perfect.

Did you bother checking what I mentioned?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #13095
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Did you bother checking what I mentioned?
Yes, if your clutch basket looks like Flyguy's avatar, it will greatly degrade the clutch's ability to grab. If the basket is worn and If you're cheap and careful, you can repair a worn basket pretty good with a grinding wheel. I've done it with a right angle grinder with good results, better yet was did it on my dad's table saw with a grinding or cutting wheel, when I was a kid.

Though those Hinson baskets look real nice if you're into spending a few bucks on your bike.