Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #13801
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
No problem, just wanted to see if he was still making them. I don't mind waiting for a quality product, and I certainly can't blame a man for enjoying himself
frickenmotarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #13802
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 749
XRR Build

Making some progress on getting the XRR back together! Thanks to my bro KosmicKLR who helped me get the front forks back on, 100 % rebuilt with RaceTech Gold Valves and sprung for my weight. Same for rear shock got the same treatment. Roger at On Road Off Road did me good. He does full rebuilds for street, off road, road racing, and full set ups/fine tuning. Has the only shock dyno in Austin.

http://www.ororcycle.com/

The rear swingarm was installed per the manual, using special tools to tourque the inner and outer castle nuts that set the preload on the swingarm.

Everything I am doing right now is just a "mock up" because I know it will need some fine tuning and adjustment. With a lot of aftermarket parts going on, have to be careful of how it all fits up, and it all works together well. Minor things like cable routing and such will take some fine tuning. All the cables: throttle, clutch, and decompression lever are plus 3" longer than stock.

All the hardware will get Blue Locktite or anti-seize as appropriate for the part. (No Locktite on fender and bodywork bolts that are inside the alloy sub-frame)

Here is a shot of the bash guards installed with new grips. I like these larger size grips because the help quell the vibes abit, I find them comfortable but still give me feel I like. Little things like opening up the end of the throttle sleve, getting the slack out of the longer cables, and routing on the best path all take time.

Here are the Rox Risers, 2", which allow you to pivot the bars further forward to open up the cockpit. If you just added straight risers, the bars would come into close to the chest, making it hard to get into the standing DS position. The further forward bars also get more weight on the front end for better control.

Here is the rebuilt shock, ready to rock and roll!

The oversize rads and new hoses are getting mocked up. The hoses need some trimming because the new rads are thicker, changing the positions of the hoses a bit. Also, have to check very closely for any chaffing of the hoses, because the clearances are now tighter, due to the larger size rads. I found one area I will have to cut up my old hose, and put on the new one to serve as a buffer against chaffing.

Unabiker rad guards also making their way on. Even though I have HodakaGuy's famous Tanker Brace on, I wanted the extra protection of the Unabikers. I think with the big tank, tanker guards, and Unabikers, this will be a bullet proof cooling system!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #13803
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,454
Enjoying your build details. I've almost got mine ready after prepping for a few weeks, many similar modifications as you've done. Look forward to seeing your future posts

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #13804
Jaronimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
hey folks I am looking at parting out some parts off my XR650r where do I post the details on the sale?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #13805
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronimo View Post
hey folks I am looking at parting out some parts off my XR650r where do I post the details on the sale?
Here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #13806
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

XRR Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Enjoying your build details. I've almost got mine ready after prepping for a few weeks, many similar modifications as you've done. Look forward to seeing your future posts
Thanks for following along on the build. Its a learning experiance for me. I like the XRR a lot because its a solid platform to build on, and all the known issues are sorted out. I think chassis and geometry makes for a great DS bike also.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your build. I hope someday to hit the Trans Canada Trail, that is truely and epic ride!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #13807
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Buell78753 : did you revalve the forks and shock when you were in there, or did you just respring and add the gold valves?
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #13808
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

XR650R Valving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Buell78753 : did you revalve the forks and shock when you were in there, or did you just respring and add the gold valves?
Sintax, Roger at On Road Off Road did all the work for me. The Gold Valves incorporate re-valving. Roger shimmed the Gold Valves according to my weight, riding style, and that I have an oversize tank. Race Tech allows you to plug in the numbers and it gives you the optimal shimming arrangement. It should be pretty close for me.

I think someone that knows what they are doing can get very good results just re-shimming the fork and shock, with stock parts, also. For example Precision Concepts likey does some of the best work on XRR suspension. WIth correct spring weight, shimming, and fresh oil the XRR can be improved a lot, even without the Gold Valves.

After I ride it, will set up the sag more precisely front and rear.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #13809
cello
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
White Power E Exhaust

Hi Guys
Just wondered if anyone has had problems trying to fit the White Power E Headers to the BRP?

Thought this would be a 1 hour job......Wrong! THe stock pipe came off easy enough but when offering up the right hand exhaust port header to the barrel it only seems to fit when you dont have the retaining guide on the studs. With the guide located on the studs it seems to be pulling the header off centre and it does not line up Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Tried rotating the bracket through 180 degrees but that makes it worse so I have the right orientation. The left hand exhaust port lines up perfect bu the right does not !!!

Both bike and exhaust are secondhand so dont know if things have had a knock and kicked them out of allignment - looking at the engine / header pipe it all looks OK.

Any ideas guys ????

Thks
cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #13810
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771

Just picked up a 2000 xrr. Lots of reading and learning to do to make this my dual sport monster.

Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #13811
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Hodakaguy

I Know hodaka guy, not sure how much he follows the xrr forum. I will let him know he has some sales waiting. PS I am sure he looks at his PM. Somebody was asking if the unibiker radiator guard and tanker brace will work with the 6.3 Acerbis. They will and the install is a pain especially if you have added a fan. Really complicates checking/adjusting valves.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #13812
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
hey guys i rewound a factory stator i bought off of an inmate on here some time back. problem is now my bike wont start, wont even bumpstart. ive rewound a xr650r stator before without issue so im thinking the stock ignition coils are bad. anyone ever have this issue?
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #13813
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,998
Hi Guys. I'm still making the braces but I've been slammed lately and I'm currently out of stock. Back in May when I ran out I was prepping for our upcoming Desert trip...now that I'm back I've been working on the house and my VW Westfalia build. I'll try and get a batch going soon though and I'll post up here when they are available. I build them on my days off so it has to get squeezed in with everything else.

Sorry for the delay in getting them built....I'll have them up soon

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #13814
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacone View Post
I Know hodaka guy, not sure how much he follows the xrr forum. I will let him know he has some sales waiting. PS I am sure he looks at his PM. Somebody was asking if the unibiker radiator guard and tanker brace will work with the 6.3 Acerbis. They will and the install is a pain especially if you have added a fan. Really complicates checking/adjusting valves.
Just to clarify the Tanker Brace will install easily with this combo, the fan/rad guards will make access to the valve cover a lot tighter. With the Tanker Brace/Acerbis desert tank combo I really feel a rad guard isn't needed.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #13815
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Fitting Unabiker with Fluyidines?

Just a question on fitting up Unabiker rad guards with oversize Fluyidine rads. I got the Unabikers because I saw them installed on another XRR with the Fluyidines. But, I figured with the deeper rad, the Unibikers may not fit. What I did not see was that likely the back supports were not installed.

So I can only get the upper Unabiker mount bolted in and the lower mount is only "sandwiched" in. The back rad supports wont fit.

I am running the Acerbis tank with Hodakaguy's tanker guard. I see Hodakaguy's sage advice that a rad guard is not really needed with this combo. But, while the Unabikers are not fully braced in the back, they are still fairly well mounted and still provide additional protection. But, I dont like anything that is half ass on my bike.

So, any tips or mods for fully mounting up the Unabikers with the deeper rads, or should I just bail on it, and go without? Or, try a different radiator guard?

Thanks dudes!