User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #14251
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Calling Captain Ron - TZ250 / XR650R

This guy has made a pretty interesting track bike using a TZ250 frame, an XR650R engine, and alot of nice parts!

I don't know the guy and am not trying to help sell it or anything else. So please don't send this over the craigslist hell as I will post the proper link there.

The ad is on craigslist for the Inland Empire (So Cal)

Here are some parts:
1993 TZ250 Rolling Chassis
2005 XR650R liquid cooled motor
Custom head work, big valves, straightened intake
45mm Mikuni HSR flat slide pumper carb jetted for oxygenated fuel
Lots of spare jetting
Velocity stack
Marvic Magnesium wheels
Ceramic wheel bearings
Stock CDI
Carbon fiber rear hugger
Stock TZ250 rear shock
Stock TZ250 front forks
Sprung for 175# unsuited
Full floating front brake discs
Steel braided front brake lines
Fresh air intake
16 tooth front sprocket
Custom Muzzy pipe
Ohlins steering damper
245# wet
Reverse pattern shifting only
H.D. clutch
12.5 Weisco piston
Medium stage Hot Cam
Carillo rod
Idler gear removed. Bump start only.
520 chain
Domino quick turn throttle
Titanium and Aluminum everywhere
Race Ready
Original TZ250 rear wheel stand
Doc-Z roller starter
Tire Warmers

Here is a photo:
http://images.craigslist.org/5I25V55...1141511c97.jpg

bump screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 11:22 AM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #14252
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
pretty interesting bike. I'd like to take a spin on it and see what it can do.

I think i'd much rather have it in factory form. I'd love to have a TZ250 or TZ350 track day bike.

How much is he asking?
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #14253
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,295
BuRPsa, would you mind posting up a picture of your XRR with the IMS tank. What do you think of the tank? Is it more narrow than the Acerbis?
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #14254
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
I did look there before coming here. The bike has ran with this RR and wiring harness for over 2 years. The sparking RR has me stumped. I am sure I probably shorted out a component, jtrust have no idea which one.

Edit; Forgive me, I quoted the wrong damn post.

Are your light housings grounded? Try ungrounding them. They may have started out ungrounded, but worked themselves i nto a ground. I have seen this before, spark jumping to the frame from the rr, but I can't remember if it was the grounding issue. Yeh, I know your lights are dc, but that doesn't mean they aren't the problem.

crypto666 screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 03:41 PM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #14255
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Thanks, I like that it still uses the factory shrouds.
4.6 should do 150 - 180 miles on the road if I stay off the throttle.
I'm sure a 6.3 would be a better option for commuting though.
Another quick question. What size tank do they start feeding fuel from both sides? is it 6.3 and larger?

Sorry I missed that. I thought somewhere you mentioned vacuum pumped from both sides. That's the big 7 gallon.

The 6.3 has two petcocks so it does get fuel from both sides, but the front lobes would hold some fuel that you simply can't use. Maybe 1/4-1/2 gal? Worst case is you could start lifting the front of the bike =)

The 6.3 is quite a bit narrower than the 4.3 clarke when standing. It is wider in the front when sitting.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #14256
BigStick
Discovering

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Sorry I missed that. I thought somewhere you mentioned vacuum pumped from both sides. That's the big 7 gallon.

The 6.3 has two petcocks so it does get fuel from both sides, but the front lobes would hold some fuel that you simply can't use. Maybe 1/4-1/2 gal? Worst case is you could start lifting the front of the bike =)

The 6.3 is quite a bit narrower than the 4.3 clarke when standing. It is wider in the front when sitting.

I have both the 6.3 Acerbis and the 4.4 IMS. Excuse me if I'm off a little on the capacity.

My impression: Yes, the Acerbis is narrow enough while standing, but as soon as you sit down that monster tank is right between your knees making it more difficult to slide forward on the seat and/or maintain a forward position.

There are no shortcuts - smaller tanks are better ergonomically. Most of the time I run the IMS 4.4, but it's fun once in a while to go back to the stock tank and it's better ergonomics. I only run the Acerbis if I absolutely need the added range...

-'Stick!

"A motorcycle is whatever you want to make it. Turn it on and you can give yourself a real thrill!"
~ Bruce Brown, On Any Sunday

AMA Lifetime Member
BigStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #14257
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,295
The IMS is 4.6 gallons......
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #14258
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,924
And if one wants, the Pig can be a phenomenal Adventure Bike!!!!!

Leaving for the 1,000 miles CAM Ride in 5 days!!!!!

By the way.....Wolfman Bags completely ROCK!!!! Awesome storage and super light weight.

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #14259
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Ralph,

the ignition and the stator/lights are 2 completely separate things - which actually is not quite true as two windings on the stator supply the power for the ignition module, but these are electrically totally separate!

That is why I am stumped as to what happened. The RR has nothing to do with the ign curcuits. It has been a hard to start bike for a few weeks too. I thought it was the valves needing adjusted, after the 3rd time adjusting them this happened.

The ignition system also has a (loose) pickup coil (also in the stator cover), and these two pwr-coils & pickup coil connect to the ignition module. From here it goes to the coil & sparplug and to the kill switch..... and it is here I would look first!
Never mind your lights not working, I would disconnect the stator from the RR for now, just concentrate on the ignition/spark!

The lights work, that is a non-issue. They are wired right to the battery via HWDB switches.

Take the killswitch off the bars, completely, let it hang in the air. Also make dam sure there's no other switches connected to the killing wire (which, to kill, must be grounded to frame).

First thing I did was unhook the kill switch. No luck.

Then remove sparkplug, plug it into the cap, and let it rest against the frame or engine.
Next cycle the kicker >> got spark?

Negative, no spark. I bought a new RevBox off craigslist today(still in factory packaging, unopened) No go, not the module.

If so (and I think so!) then your killswitch has a problem, just fix that.
If not then you need to do as per the manual for the ignition-system, I'm sure there's quite a bit mentioned in there. A bit of work but it should pinpoint what is wrong ignition-wise.

The FSM has 4 pages regarding the ignition system and how to problem shoot it. Not overly insightful but it goes thru the steps. None of the components has voltage readings in Volts, such small readings that they are in MV! I am leaning towards the stator being the problem, altho, it looks fine and smells fine

Any one has resistance readings of a known good exciter coil and pulse generator?
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #14260
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Edit; Forgive me, I quoted the wrong damn post.

Are your light housings grounded? Try ungrounding them. They may have started out ungrounded, but worked themselves i nto a ground. I have seen this before, spark jumping to the frame from the rr, but I can't remember if it was the grounding issue. Yeh, I know your lights are dc, but that doesn't mean they aren't the problem.

Forgot to multi-quote. The lights are HIDs in plastic housings that are wired directly to the battery via HWDB switches. I will try unhooking the RR from the lights, as Burpsa said( I think he said that) try it again!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #14261
RalphyDo
Banned

Ok, I am about half a tard, maybe full tarded. I plugged the new module in but forgot to hook up one of the power wires from the power coil on the stator. She sparks now! Time to go see if it starts!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #14262
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
The above picture is WAY too much gear =) Trust me, you won't use half of it, or the stuff you did pack is much too large.

Still have a good ride though =) Take lots of pics.

I don't mind the width of the Acerbis. In fact I'd take that width over the knee width of the Clarke 4.3. No issues riding through technical terrain. I'm 6'4" which might make a difference but I love it when I can do 400+ KM with no gas fill-ups. Also, it rides extremely well for taking on 27+ liters.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #14263
RalphyDo
Banned

Sooooooo. I think I have found it!!!! The new module did the trick. She started and ran fine! BUT......I had all the wiring for the RR and battery and stator unhooked when I started the bike and the tail light came on! Which means the tail light is somehow hooked into the ignition power coil and not the lighting coil. That part of the harness is stock so I will have a look-see at the wiring diagram to see where they are going. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #14264
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
And if one wants, the Pig can be a phenomenal Adventure Bike!!!!!

Leaving for the 1,000 miles CAM Ride in 5 days!!!!!

By the way.....Wolfman Bags completely ROCK!!!! Awesome storage and super light weight.
My god man, another human smuggler....

You do know that homesteading laws are no longer valid, so if you are thinking of claiming a section of land out there, good luck.

Kidding, it looks like really nice gear, but I could never do that to my xr.

What spring are you running? 15kg?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #14265
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
My god man, another human smuggler....

You do know that homesteading laws are no longer valid, so if you are thinking of claiming a section of land out there, good luck.

Kidding, it looks like really nice gear, but I could never do that to my xr.

What spring are you running? 15kg?

The nice thing about this set up is....it is only a few bolts away from being a dirt bike. Also, my pig is not my trail bike. I have a smokin awesome YZ426 to run light and fast.

.49's up front and 12.0 in the rear.....it is perfect for this setup. My Pig is really my light adventure bike.

Those bags look big and heavy, but they aren't. The top duffle holds my slep pad, down bag and 7lb tent.......all totall the top bag is only 15 lbs. the whole set-up, when packed out comes in at about 40 lbs.

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote