Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #14281
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
BuRPsa, thank you for the info. Part of my problem is I'm 6'6" (198cm)tall. The acerbis was very uncomfortable when sitting. The IMS looks skinner that the acerbis, this is good for me. I'm use to the coupler system, because of owning severial GS's. I also have the Fluidine Rad's, so no fan needed. I don't ride in stop and go city traffic. All my other aftermarket tanks are transparent aswell (IMS 3.2/4.6), it's the only way to go...function over form.

Take your time on the pictures, one from the back of the bike, would be great.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #14282
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Yeah, I also thought it is narrower, I checked lotsa pics before I bought.
Here's views, and note the small reserve compartment.

BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #14283
Garthe

Looks really good. Ok, one last question. Vacuum pump, can you explain how it works.

How do you turn it on/off?

Do you carry a spare one?

Do you need a battery, to help power it?

What is the down side, if any (not counting the extra hose set up)?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #14284
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
I have the IMS 7 in red.I like the tank because it sits lower than the Acerbis and carries the fuel lower. I'm 6'2" and standing is no problem in the knee area. The vacuum pump is operated by vacuum supplied by a port just in front of the carb.It pulls fuel from the low side on both sides of the tank and runs constantly.I have complete faith in the pump,been using them in my sleds forever and never had a failure. As a bonus you can see the fuel level even with the red tank
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #14285
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
You turn it on/off by running the engine or not, as it is driven by intake vacuum pulsing - hence no battery neither power. So no, it can't be switched on/off in practice, which means it works all the time and the fuel just circulates inside the tank - that reserve-compartment just is part of the tank, it flows over.
Inside sits a springloaded diaphragm, of which on one side the - varying, pulsing! - vacuum acts, on the other side sits the fuel. The fuel enters this pump via a non-return valve/checkvalve, part of the pump. When the vacuum is highest the membrane is pulled in, when it is lowest it springs out, so it follows the fuel-volume changes, it pumps.
Simplicity itself, and helluva reliable too.
This tank reaches quite low, lower than an Acerbis I believe, and without this pump it would not work. Zero tilting of bike required, and when parked on the sidestand there remains plenty in that compartment for riding off - during which it fills quickly again, it really works well.

Now the thick bit. I, knowing this tank needed a vacuum pump, started looking for one after ordering the tank (which takes 3 weeks to arrive here, is normal). So, I could find only 1, a Mikuni, so bought it. I got it home days before the tank arrived, which, on opening the box, turned out to have the exact same pump inside as part of the accessories.
So, yeah, reluctantly I have to admit to you that yes, I do have a spare
Will leave it at home at all times though, they don't break.

Downside? It's fugly. But you better tell someone who cares about that, I need it for upcoming trips In fact it won't be enough, will need to carry 15 liters extra for one planned stretch.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #14286
Garthe

Thanks guys, great info. Sounds like a found a tank that will work for me.

Now, I just have to find the $$$$$.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #14287
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
I have the IMS 7 in red. As a bonus you can see the fuel level even with the red tank

Now you have me thinking about red...

Is it fighting red?

Does it match the front fender?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #14288
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Yeah, I also thought it is narrower, I checked lotsa pics before I bought.
Here's views, and note the small reserve compartment.

May I enquire about your frame protectors ?

Sweet bike

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #14289
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Now you have me thinking about red...

Is it fighting red?

Does it match the front fender?
It is a pretty darn close match

hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #14290
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,179
For anyone thinking about an IMS 7, I think you need to leave the petcock on "reserve" all the time, because once the fuel level gets low enough the only gas that gets to the engine is that getting pushed into the basin by the pump. The depth of the basin is about as deep as the reserve level on the petcock, so if it isn't on reserve the gas isn't deep enough to drain through the petcock.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #14291
cragdweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Best bearing kits

Just looking for feedback on the quality of the various linkage/swingarm/wheel bearing kits out there. I have seen All Balls, Moose, Pivot Works, and of course Honda OEM. I've searched and not found much on the aftermarket parts quality. Had my shock serviced and am taking the opportunity to check all the bearings in the rear. Of course the swingarm pivot bearings were completely toast, and one of the three shock linkage bearings is wasted. Rear wheel bearings are also not looking good...

Thanks for any feedback.
cragdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #14292
Garthe

I've always used pivot works, I blame marketing.

The BIG red tank, sure looks good...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #14293
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cragdweller View Post
Just looking for feedback on the quality of the various linkage/swingarm/wheel bearing kits out there. I have seen All Balls, Moose, Pivot Works, and of course Honda OEM. I've searched and not found much on the aftermarket parts quality. Had my shock serviced and am taking the opportunity to check all the bearings in the rear. Of course the swingarm pivot bearings were completely toast, and one of the three shock linkage bearings is wasted. Rear wheel bearings are also not looking good...

Thanks for any feedback.

You don't have to go with a kit, but if you do make sure they use proper, high quality bearings. SKF being one of the larger players, FAG is another one, etc.

Pretty much standard is SKF though. Moose usually rebrands quality products. I wouldn't hesitate to try theirs.

Proper care and those bearings should last a good long time. Keeping them greased is key.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #14294
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Sweet kickstand mod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
It is a pretty darn close match
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #14295
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Thanks guys, great info. Sounds like a found a tank that will work for me.

Now, I just have to find the $$$$$.
Don't do it. I had one and hated it. It fit great and rode well, but the mess of fuel and vacuum lines was a nightmare. After 3 orders to Mcmaster-Carr I finally had the correct quick connect fittings with built in shut off valves which helped the installation a ton. One more order and I finally got some spare o-rings that fit.

However, I had one of the o-rings in a quick connect fail over the winter and leak ~3 gallons of fuel in my garage while I was gone to work one day. Be sure and factor that into your reliability.

I bought the popular Acerbis 6.3 for $250 shipped from Rocky Mountain ATV a few months ago and haven't looked back. An extra .7 gal of fuel is not worth the vacuum/fuel hose nightmare.
cdogg44 is online now   Reply With Quote