gerich_7
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
This is what I use for a disc lock.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/p...FQeCQgodsDQAJA

It helps with possible theft
I'm using the same lock but it's quite heavy and sometimes it's alarm on it's own. It depend on how do you hang it on the brake disk. Also the alarm element inside the lock very fragile. If it falls down from a 1 meter (as it was in my case) it can break the mount clips inside.
My advice - try to find the lightweight version of the lock!
gerich_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #14358
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Thanks guys for the advice so far. Are you guys all changing your oil every 600mi?

Ordered the set of bolts for the rear peg, I notice one of them is already changed with a similar bolt has already been changed on the right side. The front bolt.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #14359
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
The headlight is fairly dim until I bring up the revs. Normal?

EDIT: Looks like its possible to eliminate the battery by using large capacitors?
Mine's like that too. But the battery is old. But I can still use the blinkers. Then again mine are LED and don't draw as much power.

I change mine ever 600ish, but if you just ride on the street you could push it to over 1000. Don't think it would be an issue.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #14360
gerich_7
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice so far. Are you guys all changing your oil every 600mi?

Ordered the set of bolts for the rear peg, I notice one of them is already changed with a similar bolt has already been changed on the right side. The front bolt.
I do every 600mi - oil change, and every 1200mi - oil filter change.
gerich_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #14361
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:

3. Service interval. Is it any different for street riding? Do I need to still do 600mi oil changes?

4. The bike has been piped and jetted. I notice its easier to cold start it with no choke. Is this "normal?" The bike stalls if I turn on the choke and appears to back fire during deceleration and letting off the gas quickly.

5. I have no speedo. I am being sorta cheap and have ordered a Sigma BC 1609 Cadence Bicycle Speedometer. I know several people have used it just fine. Do I need to source a magnet for it to work? Also can I just epoxy a magnet to the brake rotor and be good to go?

6. I dont need much wind protection. What is popular with you guys?

7. Security: Do you guys put a disc lock and just hope to god it wont get stolen?

Man I love this bike, I cant wait to get the few issues sorted out and get the bike registered so I can get it on the road. Also in the future I plan a better seat, bigger tank and maybe bars. The 100mi trip I did to get it home left my ass and hands numb. I was so stoked at how well it rode at 70mph (I think it went up a tooth i the front)
#3. I've done a lot of street riding on my XRR motard and sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs that showed no viscosity breakdown after 1500-2000 street miles and no abnormal contamination levels. I'll stick to 1500ish for oil changes. My carb vent lines are filtered so I'm not getting any contamination through them.

#4. Can be an exhaust leak but I have mine sealed up very well and I still get a lot of popping on decel. Mine is a pretty aggressive build though. I never need full choke on mine. Half choke if really cold. Otherwise with proper jetting and the choke plate mod it starts pretty well with no choke.

#5. I also use a Sigma but use a magnet that clamps on the spokes that came with a Bell bike computer. I'll get a pic of it.

#6. I don't use anything except my X2 headlight.

#7. I use a cable lock wrapped through front rim and triple clamp.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #14362
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
I just put a pad lock in my caliper and use that as a disc lock. Works pretty well. When parked back home, I chain it to my other bike as well.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #14363
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Nope it is dead. Works with the headlight off.

EDIT: can I charge the battery pack with a battery tender. As in the battery tender brand one that works on car batteries?
You should not use a lead acid charger on NiCd batteries, and it won't do you any good anyhow. If the bike doesn't charge it niether will the charger. Buy a new battery pack and let the bike charge it for $12.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #14364
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
You should not use a lead acid charger on NiCd batteries, and it won't do you any good anyhow. If the bike doesn't charge it niether will the charger. Buy a new battery pack and let the bike charge it for $12.
Where can we get a new battery for $12? Homemade? I think the Tusk one is 35, I'd love to save the 20 bucks.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #14365
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
2. The baja designs kit has some funkyness. With the headlight off the blinkers and horn work fine. Turn the headlight on and they stop working! I checked the battery pack. It has 10v or so. The bike has sat for about a year. That means your Nicad-pack is stuffed and your carb needs cleaning. Also, it could mean that with your headlight ON there's too little power to charge the battery or drive the DC-bits, and your indicators are this. Got the std 35W headlamp and filament globes as flickers?

3. Service interval. Is it any different for street riding? Do I need to still do 600mi oil changes? Up to you. If you love this bike you should, or at least use a full synthetic oil. Still cheap I'd say...

4. The bike has been piped and jetted. I notice its easier to cold start it with no choke. Is this "normal?" The bike stalls if I turn on the choke and appears to back fire during deceleration and letting off the gas quickly. When you have the carb off for cleaning I'd check the jets, but with the choke full ON those symptoms are quite normal.

4a. Bike has stalled on me 2-3 times, but since I put new gas in it it has been OK. There you go, clean it. The FMF pipe on there is too loud. Is it possible to quiet it down without replacing it? Re-packing should help.

6. I dont need much wind protection. What is popular with you guys? Condoms, Durex for me. Oh, sorry, wind... a HD Electra Glide has the best I know, rolled a cigarette and lit it once, going 60mph

7. Security: Do you guys put a disc lock and just hope to god it wont get stolen? Right now its safe in my garage. I am worried about leaving it anywhere haha. A lock with an audible alarm may do it for you, but I'd rely on a heavy, no, overkill, chain + lamppost here - dunno your hood.
I'd save for a Trailtech Vapor, has temp and various alarm-led's, really handy.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #14366
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Where can we get a new battery for $12? Homemade? I think the Tusk one is 35, I'd love to save the 20 bucks.
Just look on the various battery shops on the internet for the size and capacity of NiCd. I just made up that price, but its not far off.

Edit, it was a ways off. The cheapest packs are in the $22 range.http://www.all-battery.com/12vnimhni...ackseries.aspx

If you are a real cheap bastard like some of us, you could id the bad cell(s) in your pack and replace it. That would run you the cost of one cell; $3 or so.

I built a LiFePO4 battery using A123 racing cells for $50. I like it.

crypto666 screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 05:48 PM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #14367
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Just look on the various battery shops on the internet for the size and capacity of NiCd. I just made up that price, but its not far off.

Edit, it was a ways off. The cheapest packs are in the $22 range.http://www.all-battery.com/12vnimhni...ackseries.aspx

If you are a real cheap bastard like some of us, you could id the bad cell(s) in your pack and replace it. That would run you the cost of one cell; $3 or so.

I built a LiFePO4 battery using A123 racing cells for $50. I like it.

I'm rocking a 15$ battery under the seat... I'd have to ask my buddy the product number but it was 10$ + shipping.

Ahuh! Found it:

http://www.batterysharks.com/Nationa....2_b12-1.2.htm

That's not my bike, but you get the idea. It fits. My buddy installed his with his wiring jobbie in there, and I fit mine across the bar because my set-up is different with a steel subframe.

Works AWESOME for using signals on side of highway, keeping voltage high at idle to run multiple accessories, and charging phones at night. Solid addition to the XRR for dual sporting for sure.

We had a 4$ adapter that used my GPS power cord and plugged our phones in. After a few drinks beside the fire the phones would be charged!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 06:20 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #14368
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
#3. I've done a lot of street riding on my XRR motard and sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs that showed no viscosity breakdown after 1500-2000 street miles and no abnormal contamination levels. I'll stick to 1500ish for oil changes. My carb vent lines are filtered so I'm not getting any contamination through them
Yep, 5,000 km's oil changes here using Mobil 1 4T.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #14369
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
You guys are awesome. Here is the update on my little piggy:

Ordered that 15 dollar shipped battery. Whooo.

I took a look at the front left fork that was pissing oil. I took out the metal c-clamp thingy and cleaned up using a cut credit card into a "C" shape. I got the idea from a few pages back and this youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzf...feature=g-hist

I do have a question about this, is the top seal just a dust cover or the actual fork seal? If so is this removable? I can just pull up to get to the "real" seal under neath to pick out the crud with my crude credit card tool.It didn't look like I could pull it out.

Doing this seemed to reduce the leaking from a torrent of fork oil to a very, very, tiny amount. Might have to still replace the seals.

Does there exist better forks like from newer dirt bikes that just swap right on that will fit my supermoto wheel? How much does a shop charge to replace fork seals on average?

I have installed the cheep-o Sigma BC 1609 bike speedo. I ziptied it to the fork and jb-welded a very small magnet to the rotor. Seems to work, I will test it out when I get the bike registered tomorrow. You guys are right I should have probably gotten the vapor. I got the Sigma for now because it shipped amazon prime so I got it fast. I hope the magnet does not fling off at speed....

The FMF packing is in the mail. I will clean the carb when I get a chance. I am a youngin' so I never really messed with any carb'ed. Always worked on cars with FI. Motorcycles are still new to me as of May.

Thank you guys again for all the advice. I am so excited to get to ride it. My Ninja 500 feels so boring now.

EDIT: What is the blue light on the dash that the baja designs kit adds to the dash? Sorry I am such a noob. I should have done WAY more research before buying :P

medisyn screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 12:28 AM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #14370
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
I'm putting DOT knobbies on my XR, but here's a question. When using wheels originally equipped with rim locks, should I retain them if I'm going to be mostly on the road and rarely letting tire pressures go below 15psi?

No problem leaving them in, but makes it more difficult to repair on the trail if I have a flat.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote