Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #14386
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
for the seat, I'd look at a Seat Concepts kit, I've done it on my DRZ - easiest to do and best bang for the buck. They have a thread under Vendors here. My XR came with a Renazco seat which is really nice, but I heard pricey.

If your hands are going to sleep I'd look at your seating position and your back/neck. Could be too much weight on your hands, unlikely with a dirt bike, or your neck is causing problems. Or if your hands are cold, wear gloves - j/k
My hands could be numb because maybe I had a death grip on the bars. This thing is a handful compared to my ninja 500 and I am still a fairly new rider. (Less than 3000mi's riding total)
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #14387
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
My hands could be numb because maybe I had a death grip on the bars. This thing is a handful compared to my ninja 500 and I am still a fairly new rider. (Less than 3000mi's riding total)
LOL the ole death grip. That gets better with time. ;)
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #14388
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
LOL the ole death grip. That gets better with time. ;)
Yeah I am nice and loose on the ninja 500, but not the XR-R. I will get used to it. So far my face hurts too from the grin. Nobody has the sweet cheeks?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #14389
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Hey - troubleshooting my XR right now....looks like weak (yellow) spark.

Testing my coil .....I have found no references anywhere to resistance for the primary and secondary.... only peak voltage tests, which I can't do.

My primary is showing 4.5 ohms, and my secondary from coil to plug cap is 11,250 ohms. Does this sound right or is this completely wacked?

Also, found a little puddle of water inside my stator cover. Rusted the silver end of one of the ignition coils on the stator - no other visible damage. I sanded the rust off, could there be any other ill effects there? It hasn't changed my problem, still runs like crap. It is not completing a burn and the plug is blackity black black black after just 30 seconds. Carb is clean and valves adjusted.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #14390
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Jiminy Cricket - Spark issues

[QUOTE=Jiminy Cricket;19544748]Hey - troubleshooting my XR right now....looks like weak (yellow) spark.

Testing my coil .....I have found no references anywhere to resistance for the primary and secondary.... only peak voltage tests, which I can't do.

My primary is showing 4.5 ohms, and my secondary from coil to plug cap is 11,250 ohms. Does this sound right or is this completely wacked?

Also, found a little puddle of water inside my stator cover. Rusted the silver end of one of the ignition coils on the stator - no other visible damage.[/I][/I]

If its had water inside the cover check there's no rusty flakes between the solder points on the trigger coil.
(Thats what stopped mine - faulty gasket, lots of water and rust!)
Also check the stator gasket is not damaged/allowing ingress of water
Check fit of the rubber grommet on the stator cover, if all else is OK thats the only place water is likely to get in

JM
jm-2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #14391
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008 View Post

If its had water inside the cover check there's no rusty flakes between the solder points on the trigger coil.
(Thats what stopped mine - faulty gasket, lots of water and rust!)
Also check the stator gasket is not damaged/allowing ingress of water
Check fit of the rubber grommet on the stator cover, if all else is OK thats the only place water is likely to get in

JM
Hey JM, thanks. The trigger looks ok. The gasket is f'ed, and so is the rubber. I just don't know if the stator gets f'ed if a couple pole ends (one of them the ignition pole) of the stator shows rust. I sanded off the rust, but the running condition hasn't changed. Could there be more problems that I can't see?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #14392
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

So is there a missing bolt on my (new to me) XR-R?

http://i.imgur.com/47nct.jpg

Seems like something should be there...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #14393
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
I am fighting with ignition problems aswell! I just bought all new(used off ebay) ignition components and guess what?! No spark! I tried the stator, nothing. Tried the CDI, nothing. Tried the coil, nothing! All different parts, nothing different. The only thing I have not changed is the wiring harness but I did check it out and it is fine(continuity)

I am just about ready to set this thing on fire!!!

Anyone around Denver want to earn some beer by testing my CDI's on their known-running bike?
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #14394
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:

No, nothing goes in that casting hole
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #14395
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:

Drain opening for water that falls into the spark plug pocket. Keep it open with a toothpick in case mud clogs it up.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #14396
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

My main jet has a brass nut on the holder. It was set to hold the jet from seating completely into the carb body. If I take the nut off, it screws in farther. The bike ran fine in this position, but has anyone seen this before? It's a 170 main, and I've got a 68s pilot, for what it's worth. Oh, and it's clean now.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #14397
Jaronimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
howdy folks how would I go about fitting a 41mm fcr to my xr650r, if its too much to modify Im gonna sell it
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #14398
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Jiminy,

"weak spark, orange colour, black sooty plug" - does not sound like a weak spark to me.
Get a normal button, 4 holes, and rig a grounded wire through 1 hole and another wire, which you will connect to the HT of the coil, in the opposite hole. This creates a jump distance of ~8mm, and it should jump this distance easily - try? Take the plug out the head, then kicking becomes a doddle.
But it sounds like yours will do this fine, your carb is the problem - and good lord, I hope you cleaned it well! Shiny parts bru, and use compressed air too to unblock any hole you can find.
That nut on the emulsion tube (the long part) should be there. But check
http://www.dealercostparts.com/pages...BNYMBN4E1700BL
and see for yourself what parts must be there and which one's you have? I think the big tube seats on the needle jet and the nut is just a locker, and if you say that without it it goes in further then maybe the n/jet is absent - which would explain that very sooty plug & shite running?

Your freshly sanded bits now shining you may want to put some grease on, or paint the lot with oil. Would stop rust forming the next time some water makes its way into it, and normally a wee bit of oil does actually.

Jaronimo,

depends what version/type FCR you got. Some have the slide operating system on top making it just too high to fit, and you'd have to heat-up & dent your tank(s). Jetting these things is not too easy either, and a plain pain compared to a TM40. Then, the advantage over the latter is minute if at all, probably only noticeable when you go to the dragstrips with it, so I'd KIS and get a TM.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #14399
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket View Post
My main jet has a brass nut on the holder. It was set to hold the jet from seating completely into the carb body. If I take the nut off, it screws in farther. The bike ran fine in this position, but has anyone seen this before? It's a 170 main, and I've got a 68s pilot, for what it's worth. Oh, and it's clean now.
Yep, what he said above. Back off the nut. Screw the jet all the way in until it stops, then lock it down with the nut.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #14400
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
I am fighting with ignition problems aswell! I just bought all new(used off ebay) ignition components and guess what?! No spark! I tried the stator, nothing. Tried the CDI, nothing. Tried the coil, nothing! All different parts, nothing different. The only thing I have not changed is the wiring harness but I did check it out and it is fine(continuity)

I am just about ready to set this thing on fire!!!

Anyone around Denver want to earn some beer by testing my CDI's on their known-running bike?
It sounds like it is something easy.

Spark plug HT lead, spark plug cap, wire on coil ground to earth broken, ground wire in stator broken,
condenser faulty, bad connection in wiring harness etc
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote