ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #1456
Steck-bob
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Bo-Zone
Oddometer: 55
Thanks

Thanks guys for the insight to the BD headlight, I think I will pull the trigger on it later this week.
Allen
Steck-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #1457
red pig rider
adventurer
 
red pig rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: s.l.c. utah
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsAZ
Gus:

I saw a few on Fleabay last night....

Dave
thanks but i don't know. seemed to be either crap or too spensive. plus i cant stand buyin shtuff from there. much rather buy from a fellow inmate.

gus
__________________
#uc% the dumb sh*+
red pig rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #1458
Dave JP
BRP Rider
 
Dave JP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by red pig rider
thanks but i don't know. seemed to be either crap or too spensive. plus i cant stand buyin shtuff from there. much rather buy from a fellow inmate.

gus
Gus:

I hear ya, man. I'd rather buy from an inmate, too.

BUT, there it is on fBay..... Ya just have to be extra careful.

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #1459
chip
Follow Me
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 1,763
quick question

I've mentioned the BRP that was my neighbors and sitting for so long, and now it's running great. One thing I didn't do is adjust the valves. I can here the slightest tick, which I think are the valves, should I have them checked? I've never done valves on anything so I'm just shooting in dark on this.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #1460
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip
I've mentioned the BRP that was my neighbors and sitting for so long, and now it's running great. One thing I didn't do is adjust the valves. I can here the slightest tick, which I think are the valves, should I have them checked? I've never done valves on anything so I'm just shooting in dark on this.
I'd wait and tell him it needs to be done, use it as a price reduction point. They are really easy, all you need is some bent feeler guages, hand tools and about an hour (first time) 20 to 30 min once you do it a couple times. A little noise out of the valve train isn't that uncommon, it usally means that at least one tappet is slightly loose (much better than being tight). You can adjust them to get a baseline starting point since you don't know the bike's history.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #1461
chip
Follow Me
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 1,763
Cool. He doesn't seem to interested in collecting any money. I'm just going to take him some cash and a bill of sale and say "sign here".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
I'd wait and tell him it needs to be done, use it as a price reduction point. They are really easy, all you need is some bent feeler guages, hand tools and about an hour (first time) 20 to 30 min once you do it a couple times. A little noise out of the valve train isn't that uncommon, it usally means that at least one tappet is slightly loose (much better than being tight). You can adjust them to get a baseline starting point since you don't know the bike's history.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #1462
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond
 
Akunin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Black Hills SD
Oddometer: 121
With all these bikes changing hands... it just makes me wanna cry!! I had to sell mine to move (she says I get another 1 with taxes!!) so anyone have any XR650R's for sale... oh say about February?? lol
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #1463
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akunin
With all these bikes changing hands... it just makes me wanna cry!! I had to sell mine to move (she says I get another 1 with taxes!!) so anyone have any XR650R's for sale... oh say about February?? lol
Watch the Denver area C/L, tagged ones pop up on there all the time.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #1464
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond
 
Akunin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Black Hills SD
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
Watch the Denver area C/L, tagged ones pop up on there all the time.
Thanks!! I'll be looking at for those there soon! And here it is the perfect time to be riding right now too! Hmm... anybody willing to trade a XR for a Jeep? Ok, not really serious (but I've thought about it!!).
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #1465
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,518
Just spent a sweaty lunch hour fixing my lights. Rant about BD's pathetic tail light design to follow!
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #1466
chip
Follow Me
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 1,763
I saw those tail lights. I'm pretty sceptical about BD. I was looking at these last night:

http://www.electrosport.com/products...ghts-parts.php

chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #1467
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Upstate, You Nork
Oddometer: 525
I just put a Zeta/Dirt Freak taillight unit on my BRP. Nice stuff!

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/i...AAAW-79941.jpg
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #1468
Transrider5587
Adventurer
 
Transrider5587's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 52
Thumb BD Tail Light

Peten95 what troubles did you have with the BD tail light????? I have the LED set up and have ran it for a few years..zero issues. IMHO the BD set up is top quality. Expensive as hell...but worth the money.
__________________
The best motorcycle is the one that is being ridden right now........
62 Honda Trail 90....tiny thumper..................2003 XR650R Plated
1986 Yamaha TT225s little thumper..............2009 BMW GSA
1989 Honda Transalp...big v-twin
2001 Honda VFR....bigger v-4](Sold)
Transrider5587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 AM   #1469
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer
 
B DIRT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: your moms house startn a small fire in her panties
Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transrider5587
Peten95 what troubles did you have with the BD tail light????? I have the LED set up and have ran it for a few years..zero issues. IMHO the BD set up is top quality. Expensive as hell...but worth the money.
+2 on that, Im running it on two different bikes
__________________
2002 XR650R (plated), 2000 XR650R (trophy), 1990 Transalp, 2002 CR125R (woods weapon), 1977 CT90, 2009 Big Red
B DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #1470
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,421
tryin something new

There's probably many of you that already know this trick. I just discovered it so I'll throw it out here. I've been trying out a new method when kickstarting the BRP cold. Normally my bike takes 2 or 3 kicks to start, it's never been hard to start especially cold. For the last 2 weeks I've been able to fire it up first kick cold consistently. All I've been doing was to flip it to full choke and kick it through once with the compression release in (so it's real easy ) almost what you'd do to get it past TDC (I consider this a priming it and not a real kick .

I flip the choke completely off and kick it normal (no throttle). It's fired up first time every time since I started trying it. Try it out.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014