Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #14716
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Put my carb back together with the uncorking goodies and new bolts. Problem is the bike wont start now. I kicked it like 100 times. I tried to drain the float bowl and its empty. Any idea? The petcock is set to ON and I have gas in the tank.

EDIT: I have the idle screw ~2 turns out.

medisyn screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 05:30 PM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #14717
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Put my carb back together with the uncorking goodies and new bolts. Problem is the bike wont start now. I kicked it like 100 times. I tried to drain the float bowl and its empty. Any idea? The petcock is set to ON and I have gas in the tank.

EDIT: I have the idle screw ~2 turns out.

Float is stuck. Take it back apart and check that the float needle slides freely.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #14718
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 204
if not the float, check the petcock is not clogged with the in tank filter failing. Mine fell apart and clogged petcock.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #14719
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
Float is stuck. Take it back apart and check that the float needle slides freely.
Yup the float needle was indeed stuck. Now it just backfires and won't start. It was 130am so I gave up for the night.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #14720
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 204
check valves are in spec at TDC, mine also stopped backfiring when I found they were way loose. Not sure if it makes sense, but it only happened when trying to start it, not while running. thank goodness as here in Tijuana, in a enclosed underground garage it sounded like a gun shot.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #14721
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

I checked the valves they were fine. Doing a google image search it looks like I don't have the float pin installed correctly. I have the metal tab on the pin BELOW the bit of the float bowl that pushes it up/down. I cant really get a good picture of what it looks like when its properly installed.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #14722
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I checked the valves they were fine. Doing a google image search it looks like I don't have the float pin installed correctly. I have the metal tab on the pin BELOW the bit of the float bowl that pushes it up/down. I cant really get a good picture of what it looks like when its properly installed.

Basically, hook the needle onto the float "tab" and let it hang by the spring clip. The tab on the float needs to push directly on the needle. The clip is used to pull the needle down with the float when the fuel level is low allowing the fuel to flow again.

Edit: Here you go, this is a good step-by-step

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4033

RalphyDo screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 08:43 PM
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #14723
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
Basically, hook the needle onto the float "tab" and let it hang by the spring clip. The tab on the float needs to push directly on the needle. The clip is used to pull the needle down with the float when the fuel level is low allowing the fuel to flow again.

Edit: Here you go, this is a good step-by-step

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4033

Yup I totally had it wrong. I had the clip under the tab.

EDIT: Installed the float needle correctly. Back fired on me twice after 15+ kicks. This bike used to start in 2-5 kicks. Doh! Since it was almost midnight I gave up. Neighbors likely wont like those backfires My right hamstring is going to be buff after this is over. Man this is getting annoying. Between waiting for parts and being busy working the bike has been down 3 weeks. Also my new lead-acid battery is dead from the tail lights being on as I try to kick it hundreds of times.

medisyn screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 12:55 AM
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #14724
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Help with float level..

On my Dads 02 XR650R we are having a real problem with the carb. After a rejet it began dumping fuel out the over flow. We have pulled the carb and cleaned it, replaced the float needle valve and reset the float height to 19mm.

After doing this it was still leaking fuel, some time intermittent if not riding the bike very long, but almost always once it was warmed up and riding for several hours. And when it leaks it runs out.

We have checked and double checked the float heights and it still behaved the same way. With the carb off you can blow into the fuel line as you rotate the carb it the valve shuts off.

I put a clear plastic hose to see where the fuel level was and at 19mm it rose halfway up the carb, several inches over the float body. We rest the floats and they are now almost 25-26mm, but the fuel level is about 7mm bellow the overflow per the clear tubing.

We put it back together and it seemed to be fine. We laid it on each side and a little bit spit out, but stopped after placed back on the kick stand. Well my Dad rode it this weekend and it has began leaking again......

I am not sure what we are missing, the float height dose not seem to change the symptoms and it did it with the old valve and the new valve.

Any ideas????
thanks
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #14725
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Carb gaskets?
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #14726
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Any ideas????
thanks

Submerse the float in a cup of water for a couple hours, shake it next to your ear to see if it has taken on water.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #14727
szramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
got problem , recently purchased xr and running only on half way chocke , if i close it its die on when riding or standing running? dirt in jet? sorry for stupid question im running only injected street bikes last 8 years
szramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #14728
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Before i bought my xr i never did work on motorcycles. But since Ive got it I feel a bit more technically inclined. Finally got to do a little tuning of the edelbrock on my 02 I just bought 700 miles ago, accel pump needed more shot(wheelies much easier when it doesent bog) and it was running lean both problems fixed. As far as other things ive done so far, I did my first valve check and adjustment(anyone else have trouble trusting themselves on that), corrected the chain freeplay, replaced a clutch cable, installed skateboard wheel sliders, fixed all the baja designs wiring (was destroyed by po), put a tool bag on the rear fender, 2 oil changes down just changed the filter, and last but not least I signed up for advrider TIme to get really into it and get into the engine i think, makes me nervous just thinking about it though. Anyways shes a beast now especially after i got the carb set up right. Thanks in advance for all the advice i will undoubtably be asking for.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #14729
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by szramer View Post
got problem , recently purchased xr and running only on half way chocke , if i close it its die on when riding or standing running? dirt in jet? sorry for stupid question im running only injected street bikes last 8 years

I bet it hasn't been run in a while. It is now your turn to learn all about the carb, which is pretty simple. Take it apart, note the jets, clean it up and put it back in.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #14730
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Before i bought my xr i never did work on motorcycles. But since Ive got it I feel a bit more technically inclined. Finally got to do a little tuning of the edelbrock on my 02 I just bought 700 miles ago, accel pump needed more shot(wheelies much easier when it doesent bog) and it was running lean both problems fixed. As far as other things ive done so far, I did my first valve check and adjustment(anyone else have trouble trusting themselves on that), corrected the chain freeplay, replaced a clutch cable, installed skateboard wheel sliders, fixed all the baja designs wiring (was destroyed by po), put a tool bag on the rear fender, 2 oil changes down just changed the filter, and last but not least I signed up for advrider TIme to get really into it and get into the engine i think, makes me nervous just thinking about it though. Anyways shes a beast now especially after i got the carb set up right. Thanks in advance for all the advice i will undoubtably be asking for.

Congrates! Yes, some of us do question just how much clearance we have in our valves. But after doing it enough times and riding thousands of miles, you will get more comfortable.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote