Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #14716
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by b45her View Post
I had some interferance but was able to loosen the headers and raise them away from the pipe.. How are they otherwise? Performance etc? Cant see them lasting like the stock rads but mine had a big hole in them..

I really havent ridden the bike much since insalling them but I did notice a pretty big differenceriding in traffic to and from work. I was running 220*+ with the old rads and hardly 150* after the new rads. BUT that is just backand forth to and from work in town. No off road use as of yet.

My lower fitting was too short. The stock water pump hose was just too short by about 1/2"
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #14717
b45her
MotoJunkie

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
My lower fitting was too short. The stock water pump hose was just too short by about 1/2"
It seems to be hit and miss if you get a quality fit with these.
b45her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #14718
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b45her View Post
It seems to be hit and miss if you get a quality fit with these.

For the price of them, that is expected I guess. I only paid around $120 shipped USD.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #14719
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
I really havent ridden the bike much since insalling them but I did notice a pretty big differenceriding in traffic to and from work. I was running 220*+ with the old rads and hardly 150* after the new rads. BUT that is just backand forth to and from work in town. No off road use as of yet.

Thats a pretty serious drop there. They are not any bigger rads though right? Roughly the same volume? I could see the old ones had some bent fins, but I could not imagine that would result in such a drastic change in temps.

Was that reading taken after the rejet also?
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #14720
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Thats a pretty serious drop there. They are not any bigger rads though right? Roughly the same volume? I could see the old ones had some bent fins, but I could not imagine that would result in such a drastic change in temps.

Was that reading taken after the rejet also?

The core of the new rads is alot bigger than the stock rads so the volume is alittle more but not alot, maybe a few ounzes. I jetted the bike down(leaner) by 8 sizes from a 168 to a 160 since I am not at 8000' instead of 100' or below sea level. It could have been a cool day also. I know that I can remember trying to get the bike to "heat up" to a normal temp and it wouldn't. I did a new thermostat at the same time. I converted mine to the Stant "mid-80's small GM car" 'stat. I used a 185*. Just remember, I havent actually ridden the bike muck, just a short 6 miles ride through Denver to get to work.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #14721
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Put my carb back together with the uncorking goodies and new bolts. Problem is the bike wont start now. I kicked it like 100 times. I tried to drain the float bowl and its empty. Any idea? The petcock is set to ON and I have gas in the tank.

EDIT: I have the idle screw ~2 turns out.

medisyn screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 04:30 PM
medisyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #14722
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Put my carb back together with the uncorking goodies and new bolts. Problem is the bike wont start now. I kicked it like 100 times. I tried to drain the float bowl and its empty. Any idea? The petcock is set to ON and I have gas in the tank.

EDIT: I have the idle screw ~2 turns out.

Float is stuck. Take it back apart and check that the float needle slides freely.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #14723
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
if not the float, check the petcock is not clogged with the in tank filter failing. Mine fell apart and clogged petcock.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #14724
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Float is stuck. Take it back apart and check that the float needle slides freely.
Yup the float needle was indeed stuck. Now it just backfires and won't start. It was 130am so I gave up for the night.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #14725
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
check valves are in spec at TDC, mine also stopped backfiring when I found they were way loose. Not sure if it makes sense, but it only happened when trying to start it, not while running. thank goodness as here in Tijuana, in a enclosed underground garage it sounded like a gun shot.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #14726
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

I checked the valves they were fine. Doing a google image search it looks like I don't have the float pin installed correctly. I have the metal tab on the pin BELOW the bit of the float bowl that pushes it up/down. I cant really get a good picture of what it looks like when its properly installed.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #14727
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I checked the valves they were fine. Doing a google image search it looks like I don't have the float pin installed correctly. I have the metal tab on the pin BELOW the bit of the float bowl that pushes it up/down. I cant really get a good picture of what it looks like when its properly installed.

Basically, hook the needle onto the float "tab" and let it hang by the spring clip. The tab on the float needs to push directly on the needle. The clip is used to pull the needle down with the float when the fuel level is low allowing the fuel to flow again.

Edit: Here you go, this is a good step-by-step

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4033

RalphyDo screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 07:43 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #14728
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Basically, hook the needle onto the float "tab" and let it hang by the spring clip. The tab on the float needs to push directly on the needle. The clip is used to pull the needle down with the float when the fuel level is low allowing the fuel to flow again.

Edit: Here you go, this is a good step-by-step

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4033

Yup I totally had it wrong. I had the clip under the tab.

EDIT: Installed the float needle correctly. Back fired on me twice after 15+ kicks. This bike used to start in 2-5 kicks. Doh! Since it was almost midnight I gave up. Neighbors likely wont like those backfires My right hamstring is going to be buff after this is over. Man this is getting annoying. Between waiting for parts and being busy working the bike has been down 3 weeks. Also my new lead-acid battery is dead from the tail lights being on as I try to kick it hundreds of times.

medisyn screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 11:55 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #14729
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Help with float level..

On my Dads 02 XR650R we are having a real problem with the carb. After a rejet it began dumping fuel out the over flow. We have pulled the carb and cleaned it, replaced the float needle valve and reset the float height to 19mm.

After doing this it was still leaking fuel, some time intermittent if not riding the bike very long, but almost always once it was warmed up and riding for several hours. And when it leaks it runs out.

We have checked and double checked the float heights and it still behaved the same way. With the carb off you can blow into the fuel line as you rotate the carb it the valve shuts off.

I put a clear plastic hose to see where the fuel level was and at 19mm it rose halfway up the carb, several inches over the float body. We rest the floats and they are now almost 25-26mm, but the fuel level is about 7mm bellow the overflow per the clear tubing.

We put it back together and it seemed to be fine. We laid it on each side and a little bit spit out, but stopped after placed back on the kick stand. Well my Dad rode it this weekend and it has began leaking again......

I am not sure what we are missing, the float height dose not seem to change the symptoms and it did it with the old valve and the new valve.

Any ideas????
thanks
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #14730
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Carb gaskets?
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote