User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #136
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,129
Good job, Frank !!

Very pictoral and entertaining ride report. I'm sure your adventure will spark even more growth in the TAT community. Three or four years ago, this was pretty much an obscure ride.

In July 2007, I generally made the first tracks in Utah, Nevada and Oregon, and a couple of friends who were trailing me a couple of days used these tracks to confirm their gps routes.

In July 2008, I was often following 4-5 fairly recent tracks.

Glad you had a successful adventure !
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #137
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 119
Hi DP!

Got an e-mail from DK today telling me all I wanted to know. So thanks for the response! Again, awesome RR. It is one of the best TAT reports I've read on this forum.

I was on a solo ride on my Beemer street bike out to the west coast back in Aug. which fulfilled a dream I've had for l lot of years. Saw a lot of territory and relatives I hadn't seen in more years. But now I gotta do it off road and like you say, see the real America! Planning has begun!!!

kbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Hi KBear,
I'll answer for him, DK's busy cleaning his cameras at the moment.
DK changed his oil with the rest of us in Battle Mnt. Nevada which was about the 1,200 mile mark. He did have to top off his oil daily though. He carried a small container of oil with him and simply topped up at the end of each day. Bot that sight hole on that bike is small though And when it get dust on it.......
Your 450 will do just fine, don't worry.
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #138
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,472
No problem my freind. Don't worry, you'll enjoy this trip, just leave yourself enough time. The 450 will do just fine out there.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #139
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Disaster Peak

I just don't remember you guys saying anything about the fantastic ride around Disaster peak--or did I forget ???

I do remember it was of my favorite parts of Nevada----we went thru a gate that just looked like we were trespassing thru a ranch--and riding on a private dirt road behind the ranch that was in really bad shape and washed out. And came to a creek that we thougth was impassable--but we found a way.

Did you guys ride thru that area ??? Disaster peak was in our view most of the day as I remember.

Disaster Peak
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #140
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
The worst bit of this RR is the fact that it's finished!

Thanks for the fantastic write up and taking us all along with you guys on your trip.
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #141
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I just don't remember you guys saying anything about the fantastic ride around Disaster peak--or did I forget ???

I do remember it was of my favorite parts of Nevada----we went thru a gate that just looked like we were trespassing thru a ranch--and riding on a private dirt road behind the ranch that was in really bad shape and washed out. And came to a creek that we thougth was impassable--but we found a way.

Did you guys ride thru that area ??? Disaster peak was in our view most of the day as I remember.

Disaster Peak

Hey Big Dog, didn't the trail road beyond Disaster Peak just suddenly end at vertical dropoff at a ravine ? I seem to recall having to do a workaround to cross a big washout somewhere around there. Truly would be a disaster if one wasn't paying attention.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #142
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
Hey Big Dog, didn't the trail road beyond Disaster Peak just suddenly end at vertical dropoff at a ravine ? I seem to recall having to do a workaround to cross a big washout somewhere around there. Truly would be a disaster if one wasn't paying attention.
I just looked at Sam's route as I laid it out and our track logs-----and we followed it exactly---but I do recall at least 2 places in the disaster peak area that if they got worse would be impossible to cross--one was a near washout as you said---the other was an impassable big creek where a culvert was gone--both sides of the creek were near vertical and very deep--we luckily poked around and got around that one too.

Sounds like things have gotten worse since we went thru.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #143
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
---the other was an impassable big creek where a culvert was gone--both sides of the creek were near vertical and very deep--we luckily poked around and got around...

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #144
funster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Well, depends on the rider of course and how much you want to work. Bruce rides that 950SE like most guys ride 250's. The 1200GS might be a bit much. But you can take the big bike alternates with no problems. Dont overload the bikes.
Hi am enjoying your pictures of your trip across the west. I am living in missoula mt. now but have ridden a good share of the west in past years but you guys found some stuff i missed. Next spring i am heading for moab to ride and a lot more of Montana. I have been a husky rider since 94 starting on a 610 wxc what a bike and i bought a 06 610e last year since my te250 is not real fast on the road. Do you have trouble with your 610 in sandy sections i have had some issues with my 610 that i never had before with a husky. seems very front heavy. Bill young
funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #145
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
A most excellent ride report. You guys know how to do some epic rides. I read your Idaho RR a couple of months ago and thought it was awesome. For some reason, I don't recall too much about your eastern TAT ride - perhaps because I knew the east just can't offer what the west does in terms of adventure riding. I'll have to go back and re-read that one. It's good to know that there are still great places within this country that are unspoiled by man. Nevada looks like the real wild west. I would love to do the TAT some day, but like many others, can probably only do it in sections, which is still fine by me.

Johnpitts01, we probably live within a mile of one another. Would like to hook up with you guys for a local ride some time. I just picked up a used XR650L a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of acquiring all my riding gear. Might take me a month or two to get my stuff together.

O Captain My Captain screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 04:55 PM
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #146
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe

Yup, found it...that's the spot !

Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #147
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Great ride dockingpilot! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to do the TAT.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #148
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

At this very spot (as I'm standing in the picture)------we went left about 200ft.---and there was a way thru the creek-----you had to look for it. You see me sitting there bewildered--next thing I know GasPipe is on the other side
And he took this picture of me.
And that is disaster peak in the background
That peak was named after a guy who broke his leg up there.
Guess I'd a broke mine if I tried to jump that creek.
Then the creek would have been called "Disaster Creek"

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 04:17 AM
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #149
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,472
Mark, you mean you couldnt jump that 610 across ? You could have expelled a little gas for extra propullsion

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 AM   #150
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Mark, you mean you couldnt jump that 610 across ? You could have expelled a little gas for extra propullsion
Well you can see I was backing up to get run at it
Always plenty of extra propulsion !!!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014