Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #166
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1
Great RR Frank....oh, but I guess thats been stated a few times before. But, man, this brings back some sweet memories. I've ridden it Nevada before, with a guide. And I really, really, liked the remoteness and wild west atmosphere. Maybe some day I'll get back out there. Hope to do MOAB area next year.
Thanks ! Yea, Nevada was my personal favorite. If you go to Moab, don't miss the White Rim Trail of course or the Schaffer Switchbacks

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #167
Rascus
The Realist

Oddometer: 419
Dockingpilot, great report. I just spent the last hour or so going through both your threads of the entire trip.

These threads have inspired me even more to want to do the TAT either in parts or as a whole.

I like your idea of having 4 or 5 guys going out with you. Myself and a friend are already starting to get ideas, logistics, etc worked out so we're well planned ahead.

What if anything would you have done differently when it came to planning this trip? Did you miss something that you got half-way through and went, "oh shit, should have thought of that"

Any other side info like that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, awesome report!
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #168
bmc1025
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Great read and awesome pics
The wild west video is great also. I cant wait till next year I will be doing the TAT for sure thanks for spending the time to do such an excellent report.
bmc1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #169
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Any trouble with the KLR on the trip? Did you think it was small/light enough?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #170
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Thanks Dave. Well to anwer your question, we planned this trip diligently. And we had good intel and help from good sources. So, no, we were well prepared and wanted for nothing and the whole journey went off without a hitch. If you dont prep for a big trip like this you just may end up aborting. We did rent a sat phone but never needed it. Make sure you have the route down pat and transfered to GPS. Floundering around inside Eagle Canyon or western Nevada looking for the right way to go is not going to be good. Even more so if your in tripple digit heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascus
Dockingpilot, great report. I just spent the last hour or so going through both your threads of the entire trip.

These threads have inspired me even more to want to do the TAT either in parts or as a whole.

I like your idea of having 4 or 5 guys going out with you. Myself and a friend are already starting to get ideas, logistics, etc worked out so we're well planned ahead.

What if anything would you have done differently when it came to planning this trip? Did you miss something that you got half-way through and went, "oh shit, should have thought of that"

Any other side info like that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, awesome report!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #171
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
Any trouble with the KLR on the trip? Did you think it was small/light enough?
Thanks
Well, Im not John, but I'd say no. Maybe a bit heavier than he would have liked but John is an excellent rider.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #172
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Trip planning / KLR

Or trip planning is beyond reproach. It's all Docking Pilot's work. I think our planning rivals a NASA mission. We have maps, GPS routes and local knowledge.

I can only think of one thing we might have done differently this year. We might have slowed down a bit in some places.

Regarding the KLR - for 98% of the trip it was the perfect bike. But those 2% I was wishing for a lighter bike. And I skipped Eagle Canyon. I might have done Eagle Canyon if I was 100%. But with my leg injury I thought it best not to try it.

This gets back to the planning. We had an alternate route - the "big bike friendly" route to go around Eagle Canyon. Those of us that didn't go in took some detours and visited some interesting arches in the area. Our group is quite amazing too. Somehow we managed to rendezvous on the other side of Eagle canyon. There is no way this should have happened. It's sort of a sixth sense thing with us.

A couple of notes on the KLR as prepared for the trip. I dropped one tooth on the front sprocket and up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. I wanted as much low end grunt as possible. I also run Dunlop D606 tires. I was running @ 18 PSI for most of the trip. The bike did really well in the sand we encountered. I might have tried to manage my fuel a bit better to try to be as light as possible in the tricky sections.

As a result of this trip I put the KLR (and me) on a diet. The KLR has shed the passenger pegs, the highway pegs and crash bars, the E-bay luggage racks and the side panels, the stock luggage rack. All of this stuff adds up and I feel the bike is a bit easier to manage.

The KLR will do fine.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #173
Rascus
The Realist

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Thanks Dave. Well to anwer your question, we planned this trip diligently. And we had good intel and help from good sources. So, no, we were well prepared and wanted for nothing and the whole journey went off without a hitch. If you dont prep for a big trip like this you just may end up aborting. We did rent a sat phone but never needed it. Make sure you have the route down pat and transfered to GPS. Floundering around inside Eagle Canyon or western Nevada looking for the right way to go is not going to be good. Even more so if your in tripple digit heat
Frank, thanks a lot on responding.

I'm definitly the type to have every single detailed layed out way before hand before embarking on something like that. The more I see pictures and trip reports on this amazing trail, the more I can't wait to hit it up!

I may have to pick your brain later when we get ready to go.
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #174
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

No problem Dave.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #175
AOL
Tequila is good for your

Oddometer: 24
Great RR DockingPilot Congratulations I am planning a trip for April, starting in Las Vegas and Ending in Yellowstone National Park but we want to ship the bikes as you did since we are from Monterrey Mexico and do not have much time. Did Allied held the bike for you in their warehouse or you pick them up just in time after they arrived?

Can you let me know how you did the shipping?

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

AOL screwed with this post 01-25-2009 at 05:56 AM
AOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #176
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

We went through www.motorcycleshipping.biz
They will hold it for you if you like. We had ours dropped off at a local dealer that held them for us. Excellent service from Allied.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #177
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Our Wigwum for the night

Where did John pick up that fancy boot? I have been wearing something similar for about a month now. Hope to be riding again in another 2-3 weeks.

Enjoyed the Ride Report, just like I enjoyed your trip through Idaho. Still haven't done an epic ride on the 690. Hope to ride the CDR this next summer.
IBA #23263

DirtRideRoader screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 10:27 PM
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #178
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Fancy boot

I got the boot at the emergency Room in Battle Mountain, NV.

should be standard issue from any doc / hospital.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #179
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01
I got the boot at the emergency Room in Battle Mountain, NV.

should be standard issue from any doc / hospital.
I broke one of the bones in my foot in December out in Arizona. I rode the rest of the day. There is no way I could have gotten my foot in my boot the next morning. Not without alterring the boot. You must be one tough hombre.

Looks like a great ride. I hope to do it soon.
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #180
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,034
Loved the ride report DPilot. Well done.

thanks for sharing!

wish I was riding more, but I'm living vicariously through those of you that do.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote