Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #121
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Frank, great video...I was waiting for the "ambush" in the canyon, like in the cowboy movies!

Question: during those long stretches in Nevada, did you or your butt ever wish you had your 950?

Bruce, during the technical sections (10%?) did you ever wish you had a 520? And was the radiator JB weld the only SE problem during the trip?

A vicarious joy! Thanks!
Hi Doc, nope, my behind was absolutly fine throughout the trip except for the paved stretch to Portland. Then I wished I had the 950. Other then that, no.

Bruce was at home on the SE. No other issues with the SE, and the one we had was self inflicted.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #122
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Thumb What a great report!

DP, Sittin here at lunch on a crappy 35 degree day in NC and decided to start readin the TAT II thread. Only made it through Colorado during lunch (watched the vid twice), but man all I got to say is WOW! You guys know how to lift a guys spirits.
Doing the TAT I trip in May with a couple of buds. You guys did such a great job with both reports we've decided to use the reports as the foundation for our rides.
Thanks for the great reports. I'm sure we'll be talkin soon. TW

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #123
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Wicked Screw work!

Said screw it and just finished Utah. You guys are Godlike!
May have to go home sick. Can't wait to log back on tonight.
Thanks again for lettin us "bleacher boys" live thru you guys.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #124
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Wicked May?

TW:

Good luck. JUST DO IT!

One question / comment though; Why May? If you search through TAT posts on ADV you will see lots of folks that do the rides in the spring. I'm sure the thought is "let's get out and ride as soon as the weather breaks". Bad idea, IMO. Read the posts and ride reports. Lost of weather issues, mud, snow, etc. etc. You will see from DockingPilot's posts that we do our rides in September. No sooner than the very end of August. We have always had great weather. In fact spectacular.

No, wait. I didn't mean that. You should ride in May. Yes, May. No later than June. No one should ride in September. You should all be at home by September. September is bad.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #125
Idaho525
orange rider

Oddometer: 77
Chef DK - where are you?

Once again, a great report. So how did DK handle not preparing gourmet meals along the way on a ride out in the western US? Did he get the shakes once you hit Oregon and streams with fish to catch?
Idaho525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #126
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oregon

Well, looking back, we've ridden our bikes quite a distance across "real America". As she is, in all her true beauty. Unmolested by corporate. No Cracker Barrels, Burger Kings, trac housing developments and so on. True Americans, like the sweetest old black women in rural Mississippi who heard we were hungry after her diner had shut for the night after our arrival. She insisted we ride over, "I'll open for ya all, don't ya fret" she said. The meal she cooked us was what I'm talking about here. True southern, the kind of food most will never get a chance to enjoy. The real deal. This is what the Trans Am Trail is all about. Seeing America in the raw.
And so, after riding through Appalachia, the cotton belt, Ozarks, the Great Plains, the Rockies, the Colorado Platue, the Great Basin Desert and many, many miles in 2 rides, we have arrived to the Cascade Ranges of Oregon.
Like I said before, as soon as you cross into Oregon, the landscape and your mindset changes

We spend the night in Lakeview. A very nice town.

The bikes have taken us a long way and performed flawlessly.

Redcorn, a happy man.

DK enjoying the comforts and conveinces of civilization again.

We ask around and get a unaminous opinion. "Eat dinner at the Mexican place". And we do. Possibly the best I've had, no it was the best. Popular place to eat too as it was nearly full.

Riding up to Crater Lake

Cold this morning.

We take a breather

We arrive in Union Creek, just outside of Crater Lake.

John and I check in. Bruce & DK are around 1 hour behind us enjoying the ride. We rent a cabin. A big one !

Here they come !

Again we ask the locals were to eat. And we go there. It's fancy, but the food is good. OK, we can clean up and do fancy.
Redcorn is my date for the evening, and he's happy about that.

Yea, we know were not in Nevada anymore where "Dinner and conversation without obligation" includes a massage with happy ending. NO ! WE DIDN'T GO IN THERE I TOLD YOU BEFORE !

Trying to act like we have some class. See ? Johns wearing those glasses to look aloof.
Bruce is asking if the stock market is up or down today and DK is taking a dump.

We ride back to the cabin which was 20 miles north. We then start a fire sit back and have a few beers and start talking about our end game.

I have to be in Portland tomorrow night for a following morning flight back to the east coast. John has one more day breathing room than me. John and I have to be back to work monday am. Bruce and DK have another day's worth of time. Our plan is to go to Crater Lake tommorrow. From there I will beeline it for Portland where Allied is waiting for our bikes and the Ramada Inn has our street clothes we wore on the way out in a UPS box. John, will ride north to Newport on the coast, which is within striking distance of Portland. Bruce and DK will ride to Port Orford then Portland the next day.

Crater Lake was breathtaking. You have to go off the TAT to get there, but most guys do and for good reason.

We split up and I head for Portland and my am flight out. John also heads for the coast but close to Portland.

On the TAT again.

"Who you calling Brucine" ?

The Pacific is out there somewhere

There it is !

DK elated.

Redcorn

Johns steed had done a great job.

Redcorn thinking "wow, what a journey".

Sea Lions

And now, I give you the final video: OREGON + A WRAP UP

Again, You can choose to see it in High Quality HERE

or just watch it here in normal quality:

The adventure was awesome, one we will not forget. I hope you guys enjoyed our RR. If you think you would like to ride the TAT or any other kind of trip, I'd tell you to just plan it and do it. You'll be glad you did. These guys are my close friends and we have a tight bond because of the adventure trips we did and will continue, god willing, to do.

DockingPilot screwed with this post 12-05-2008 at 01:38 PM
Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #127
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler
Said screw it and just finished Utah. You guys are Godlike!
May have to go home sick. Can't wait to log back on tonight.
Thanks again for lettin us "bleacher boys" live thru you guys.
Thanks for the kind words Tarheel !

Old 12-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #128
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,695
Great report, Frank!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #129
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Nice finish to a great ride for everyone. I sure hope Nevada is still there next year. Looks like all the bikes performed very well and quite the testament for all.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #130
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho525
Once again, a great report. So how did DK handle not preparing gourmet meals along the way on a ride out in the western US? Did he get the shakes once you hit Oregon and streams with fish to catch?
Thanks ! DK didnt mind this time Thanks for remembering our Idaho trip, thats very nice of you. Glad you like it. It was really something, our "Crown Jewel" for sure.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 AM   #131
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear
Hey Dockingpilot,

This is one helluva RR man!! I've been thinking about doing this ride along with some buddies but now I know I want to do it!! I was a little wobbly about taking my '08 KTM450 EXCR because of oil capacity issues but now that i've seen your RR and a couple of other RRs featuring the same bike, my fears are pretty much gone!

Still, I'd like to ask DK a few questions about his 530, like how far did he ride between oil changes, and how much oil did he cary with him on the ride? I did a search here for "DK" and didn't come up with his handle, so if you can point me in his direction I would be grateful. DK, if you see this maybe you can answer or PM me.

Again, great ride and looking forward to the rest of it
Hi KBear,
I'll answer for him, DK's busy cleaning his cameras at the moment.
DK changed his oil with the rest of us in Battle Mnt. Nevada which was about the 1,200 mile mark. He did have to top off his oil daily though. He carried a small container of oil with him and simply topped up at the end of each day. Bot that sight hole on that bike is small though And when it get dust on it.......
Your 450 will do just fine, don't worry.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #132
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Light is right

Yes, I was the one charged with carrying glasses and reading menus. We were so extreme in our quest for light traveling this trip we brought just one pair of reading glasses to share.

Bruce is not even bothering to try to read the menu. Frank is saying to Bruce "I think I'll get the special (cause he can't see the menu)"

Once again a fantastic adventure with the best riding buds in the world (or at least within 50 miles of Hackettstown).

I'd do it again in a second.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #133
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Bucket list material. ++. Thanks for taking the time.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #134
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01
TW:

Good luck. JUST DO IT!

One question / comment though; Why May? If you search through TAT posts on ADV you will see lots of folks that do the rides in the spring. I'm sure the thought is "let's get out and ride as soon as the weather breaks". Bad idea, IMO. Read the posts and ride reports. Lost of weather issues, mud, snow, etc. etc. You will see from DockingPilot's posts that we do our rides in September. No sooner than the very end of August. We have always had great weather. In fact spectacular.

No, wait. I didn't mean that. You should ride in May. Yes, May. No later than June. No one should ride in September. You should all be at home by September. September is bad.
JP, Good call on the wx, but it's not really my call. I'll talk to the guys about adjustin fire and looking at Sept.
Funny thing is 3 of us were on a Eastern US, Canada, Indianapolis MOTOGP 3,000 miler the same time you guys were jammin on the W TAT.
RIDIN IS RIDIN!
Can't wait to pick you guys brains during our TAT prep.
Just finished the RR. Fantastic stuff as many others have said. Again, thanks for the great RR.

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 12-06-2008 at 07:36 AM
Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #135
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thanks Bruce for helping through the onset of winter here in Montana.

Great ride report. Thanks to Rufus too for his info on the RFS approach. You had a fine collection of bikes on that trip and I imagine they all came out of it pretty well although they were very different machines.
Keep us posted on when you are coming out again. Maybe we will cross paths. Thanks for treating our ground with the respect and the appreciation it deserves.