Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #61
Springs
Shipping Wars

Oddometer: 2,270
Great report guys and

Congrats on your finish!!
Really enjoyed reading your report! Are you going back 09?
Thought you guys should have this one!
Photo by(Austin Westphal Photography)

Finisher 2009 42nd running S.C.O.R.E Baja 1000, 313 X
Finisher's 2008 41st running S.C.O.R.E. Baja1000 202 X

http://www.snortnboarracing.com/

http://sidestandup.com/default.aspx

http://www.riderdown.org/forum/

RIP Jeff, and now Gary. I miss you both!

Springs screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 12:02 AM
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #62
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
I am planning on it as long as I can afford it. I don't know about the team though, it may be a solo event next year. What about you guys? Going back for round 2?
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #63
Springs
Shipping Wars

Oddometer: 2,270
That is the plan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
I am planning on it as long as I can afford it. I don't know about the team though, it may be a solo event next year. What about you guys? Going back for round 2?
We are getting started right now to make it happen!! Keep in touch!

Finisher 2009 42nd running S.C.O.R.E Baja 1000, 313 X
Finisher's 2008 41st running S.C.O.R.E. Baja1000 202 X

http://www.snortnboarracing.com/

http://sidestandup.com/default.aspx

http://www.riderdown.org/forum/

RIP Jeff, and now Gary. I miss you both!
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #64
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
On an Adventure. We could be a Solo team. like in Dakar.

Who's the water carry'er?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #65
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
On an Adventure. We could be a Solo team. like in Dakar.

Who's the water carry'er?
They would need to shorten the distance between pits. My 990 doesn't have enough fuel range.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #66
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
They would need to shorten the distance between pits. My 990 doesn't have enough fuel range.
I quess that makes me the water carrier then.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #67
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
wow, nice going guys (and gals). I've been bitten by the baja bug and now have to figure out how to go about pulling off such a feat! ..... so I'm starting out by gobbling up everything I can read on line first. It's another very pretty day here and I should be out riding right now, but there's still the better part of the afternoon ....... but first a few questions!

I know (i read) that I'd to pm you with questions about the boring details but ... there's others out there that would really like to know and help prepare themselves for the b1k. I know it's sharing "racing secrets" but hey, I have to at least gotta ask!

gas seemed to be a problem. I don't remember reading if you used one of the pay for it type of pitstops. how far between pits did you need to go? what exactly was the problem? you needed more range or have the pits closer? would an msr fuel bottle(or2) get you out of these fixes?

what class did you race and what was the entry fee. what about all the other gear needed for the race or could you rent all that? then there's the sat phone and spot, guess I should buy a spot and then rent the sat phone .....

what's it like to get your support/chase vehicle around the course? i see that it's gotta be easier on a loop race, but what do you think about the long line type of course? did you just camp out everywhere or is there plenty of rooms to be had where ever you found yourselves?

lights: that was an interesting bit of the story, hid x2 vs halogen x1 ...... i thought hid would be the way to go?

I know you were on the big bikes, what did you think about the smaller bikes? i hear that some use 250f but mostly the 450cc seemed to be the bike of choice ? and red on top of that? did honda have some nice support and pit stations? I currently ride a blue 250 btw and waiting to see if a 450 is next for me, especially if fuel injection happens on the wr or red equivalent.

how did you train? what did you eat during the race? what seemed to be the best gear to wear? yeah, I got questions ...... and guess that's enough for now ... thanks for sharing guys!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #68
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis
wow, nice going guys (and gals). I've been bitten by the baja bug and now have to figure out how to go about pulling off such a feat! ..... so I'm starting out by gobbling up everything I can read on line first. It's another very pretty day here and I should be out riding right now, but there's still the better part of the afternoon ....... but first a few questions!

I know (i read) that I'd to pm you with questions about the boring details but ... there's others out there that would really like to know and help prepare themselves for the b1k. I know it's sharing "racing secrets" but hey, I have to at least gotta ask!

I don't have any race secrets, nowhere near fast enough for that stuff.

gas seemed to be a problem. I don't remember reading if you used one of the pay for it type of pitstops. how far between pits did you need to go? what exactly was the problem? you needed more range or have the pits closer? would an msr fuel bottle(or2) get you out of these fixes?

Gas was only a problem during prerun as there is no pit support other then your chase vehicle. I was the only one with a problem, my 990 was getting horrible mileage but the two 950's didn't have a problem with fuel range. During the race you have a pit every 45 miles with Baja pits.

what class did you race and what was the entry fee. what about all the other gear needed for the race or could you rent all that? then there's the sat phone and spot, guess I should buy a spot and then rent the sat phone .....

we raced sportsman over 250, entry was $950 plus $50 per rider for a score membership. The sat phone was rented from Skycall communications, skycallcommunications.com and it costs about $10 per day and $1.75 per minute, incoming texts are free so if you have a person watching the irc tracker then can text the pit crew your location. You don't need a spot the irc does the same thing. You rent the irc tracker.

As to other gear it's just tires, lights, new sporckets and chain, and whatever spares you can beg borrow and steal.

what's it like to get your support/chase vehicle around the course? i see that it's gotta be easier on a loop race, but what do you think about the long line type of course? did you just camp out everywhere or is there plenty of rooms to be had where ever you found yourselves?

The loop is easier to support as we could pretty much get our one support truck to almost the whole coarse. With it going to the tip there I don't think there is any way to have one vehicle and get to all the rider changes. We did have a rider on a 950 just incase we needed to haul ass to a unexpected spot.

We camped while prerunning and the day of the race nobody sleeps. We rented a house in ensenada and got a group of people together. We had like 12 people in there for a few nights. The house was about $1000 for 10 days.

lights: that was an interesting bit of the story, hid x2 vs halogen x1 ...... i thought hid would be the way to go?

I think the 100w halogen will always penetrate farther into the night but with a twin 8 inch hid setup you get better flood light and go plenty far but I have never ridden with a twin hid setup so I'm just going off what I saw while racing.

I know you were on the big bikes, what did you think about the smaller bikes? i hear that some use 250f but mostly the 450cc seemed to be the bike of choice ? and red on top of that? did honda have some nice support and pit stations? I currently ride a blue 250 btw and waiting to see if a 450 is next for me, especially if fuel injection happens on the wr or red equivalent.

A small bike is fine it just depends on what you want to race. When you get out on the fast flat stuff you will just not have the power of the 450+ guys but if your okay with that then a 250 is fine. I love my 525 and couldn't think of a better bike to do that race on. It's super stable at any speed and it's not too heavy for the more technical stuff. Remember there isn't anything close to singletrack in the race.

how did you train? what did you eat during the race? what seemed to be the best gear to wear? yeah, I got questions ...... and guess that's enough for now ... thanks for sharing guys!
I didn't train really. I went on a few walks with my dogs and wife which I do all the time anyway and rode my mtn bike twice. Mostly I just rode my motorcycle as much as possible and tried to ride long days with very minumal stops.

Gear, just wear whatever you typically dirt bike in but I would suggest a pressure suit if you don't wear one already.

Food, I didn;t eat while I was on the bike just drank a mix of redbull and water. Off the bike I ate banannas, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and anything else that was easy and of course more redbull. Yes I'm a redbull addict and proud of it.

I'm happy to answer any questions you got. This was our first baja race, actually it was our first long race and Yogois first race ever so we learned a lot.

Thats why we named ourselves "Shoulda Woulda Coulda racing". Theres a lot we should have done would have done if we new and could have done but it was one hell of a good time.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #69
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

thank you very much for your detailed reply! you might have thought as yourselves as coulda woulda shoulda, but you did it, you did it when the rest of us are in the coulda woulda shoulda division. you're now a baja god in my book! I've been wrestling with this dream for awhile, can I actually pull this off? can I just get to the B1K starting line? Your reply may have shifted my dream now into a goal! ....... and I'd be (don't know what this word would be) if I made it to the finish line ..... but you do! .... and that puts you in a very exclusive club! we bow to you o' baja god! .......I'm gonna go shopping for some racing lights now ........ and practice some offroad night riding while it's that kind of season ........
Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #70
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the god comment but really our team was just a bunch of people having fun and giving it a go. It's mostly just getting over the fear of the unknown that I think keeps people from doing any race.

I was scared my first race but when the flag dropped it all goes away and you just ride and do your best whatever it may be. The logistics of baja are a challange but it's not that bad. Just KISS, keep it simple stupid. The more you over anaylize the whole thing the scarier it gets.

Also, don't forget the reason you ride a bike is for fun, I think a lot of people forget that when it comes to racing.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #71
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs
Congrats on your finish!!
Really enjoyed reading your report! Are you going back 09?
Thought you guys should have this one!
Photo by(Austin Westphal Photography)
Sweet photo!!!
Thanks for post'n it.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #72
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Quote:
Thanks for the god comment but really our team was just a bunch of people having fun and giving it a go. It's mostly just getting over the fear of the unknown that I think keeps people from doing any race.

I was scared my first race but when the flag dropped it all goes away and you just ride and do your best whatever it may be. The logistics of baja are a challange but it's not that bad. Just KISS, keep it simple stupid. The more you over anaylize the whole thing the scarier it gets.

Also, don't forget the reason you ride a bike is for fun, I think a lot of people forget that when it comes to racing.
I think a lot of people take their racing way too serious, I like to have fun! (even while I torment myself with super tight single track enduro events). I usually have a small camera with me, just in case right? the camera I discovered plays a big part in keeping things from getting too serious! somehow shifting the focus of me racing and onto my subject in the photo keeps the racing animal inside from getting too much of a hold of me.
Your KISS idea is what I'll be after. after doing a bit of traveling and camping at various enduro events, I know that whatever happens we can figure it out, get to a race, get to the start line and back again, then motor on home. getting past the "fear of the unknown" is a tough one, but with reports and advice from guys like the "would should coulda" team it sure helps shine a big ol' honkin' pair of HID lights into that dark void!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #73
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your KISS idea is what I'll be after.
I have to give credit to Neduro for that one. Like you I was searching for info on B1K. I was worrying about way to much then talked with him and he said "keep it simple stupid" and all of a sudden things got much easier. Of course do everything you can to increase your chance for success but don't worry about things that you can't do otherwise you won't even make it to the race.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #74
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

in keeping with KISS, I'll be looking into "tire balls", to lessen the chance of flat tire problems. right now I'm looking into either single or dual HID lights, which one? and I'll have a helmet light. whether I ironman it or hookup with a team, the light system will work where ever, as long as the bike's electrical is set up for it. I'm already riding as I'd be the B1K, I just need some night riding experience, and I've got some great places to practice.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #75
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
in keeping with KISS, I'll be looking into "tire balls", to lessen the chance of flat tire problems. right now I'm looking into either single or dual HID lights, which one? and I'll have a helmet light. whether I ironman it or hookup with a team, the light system will work where ever, as long as the bike's electrical is set up for it. I'm already riding as I'd be the B1K, I just need some night riding experience, and I've got some great places to practice.
Buy as much light as you can.

I hadn't really ridden at night before the race. I went out once to test the light and found that it was perfect but didn't ride any twisty stuff. Now I don't know if I'm a wimp but I would haul ass in the more open stuff and ride like it was daylight. Once I got into the tighter stuff I felt like I was lacking a flood light. I had helmet lights but they were just 10 watt mtn bike lights and really didn't do anything. After the race I said next time I night race I'll have the brightest mother F$$$ing light made. We borrowed the one we used, again thanks Neduro and it was the same light he ran baja with so I may just be a wimp.

Bibs worked okay but I've heard good things about tire balls as well.