the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #17
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,675
Bed time

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach

I think its past your bed time. Nice new ride!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 2 November 8th 2008

Day 2 November 8th 2008

Boulevard CA to San Felipe Baja CA 255.2 Miles (It’s Taco Time!)

We woke up around 0615, but slept like a rock although not long. We felt pretty good knowing the adventure was about to begin. We packed up and dropped off the room key and fired up the motors.

Hotel & packing

I ate a granola bar while riding for breakfast and started drinking water from the Camel Back. We were only about 30 miles from the Tecate boarder and we were there in no time. We stopped to top off the gas tanks and review the rules and the game plan. What to say when asked if stopped and riding rules I.E. no riding at night etc.

Gas stop and rules refresher

(side note)
We could not get full coverage insurance on the Ural from any Mexican insurance company. Liability was the only thing they would offer for a sidecar rig. I couldn’t get a answer as to why either. Maybe I was just dealing with the wrong companies but I was using the one’s that where recommended and one I have used before. Any way so I had Mexican insurance for the GS but not the Ural. If your bike has a lien holder you need a letter of permission from the bank stating you are allowed to take the bike out of the US and into Mexico for a predetermined amount of time or days. Well you cant get a letter from the bank without insurance. I figured if the immigrants can move to my country and drive with no insurance and unlicensed, I could do the same in their country while on vacation. Don’t get me wrong I have no problem with immigrants we all came from some other land at one time or another and I will leave it at that. I figured that the bank who legally owned the Ural didn’t need to know I was taking a vacation and what they didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them. As you can tell we went into Mexico with out the right paper work and I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT! We had passports and CA DL’s. I made triplicate copies of every thing and gave Marcia a copy of my insurance and told her to show it if asked for proof insurance and hope they couldn’t read it. We didn’t get tourist cards either. We are such rebels.

So with some uncertainty we rode toward the Tecate boarder while snapping pictures like tourists on vacation. Just like our last Tecate crossing in 2006 we where waived on through the boarder without even a look. Who needs insurance? We don’t need no stinking insurance and the bank can kiss my dirty tire! Viva Mexico! Lets Ride!

Hey honey smile you just rode your bike to Mexico!

Misc. Pics of Tecate and such

Toll booth

We had rode a dirt road off Mexico 2 in 2006 that heads south out of El Hongo to Ojos Negros. Marcia now fully into the dirt riding and feeling like she can go any where on three wheels wanted to ride that same stretch on her own. Well this is adventure riding and you have to get some dirt in now and again so we went for it. Its about 60 miles of mixed dirt, sand and rocks on this dirt road to Ojos Negros. After getting some directions from the locals we where on the right track.

Directions from the locals

The turn off

We meet up with some guys on dirt bikes who where about to ride the same road. Both where surprised to see us. Neither liked my “Street Tires” as they put it and said I was going to “have some problems in the DEEP sand” but I had been on this road before and I’m not to shabby on the bike. Both of them like the Ural and gave Marcia two thumbs up. One warned us of a shooting the week prior and told us not to wander off the road. Well we parted ways and they roared off in true Baja fashion.

The road seemed easier and shorter than I remembered it being.

There was a military check point along the way our first of the trip. We had seen a Humvee full of soldiers about an hour before we reached the check point. We didn’t worry just smiled and waved and stayed cool. Marcia rolled to a stop and I pulled up next to her and we started smiling. The soldiers were smiling too and laughing all pretty interested in the Ural. In fact no body really paid me much attention. I was the one talking to them in my broken Spanish. Marcia speaks less than I do but they didn’t even look at me. I think once they figured out that Marcia was a Woman they just kind off stopped the check point thing and started looking at the Ural. Marcia asked to take a picture with one of the soldiers who was pretty young looking and short standing next to her. It made every body laugh even his buddies started laughing and made a comment in Spanish about him looking small compared to her. We fumbled through in broken Spanish, where we came from and where we were going after showing our route on a map. They all smiled and told us to head on. Marcia jumped back on her bike and rode off. I was asked to pull a wheelie for the guys so I gave it my best shot. My tire not being real knobby and being in sand, all I did was throw a big rooster tail. They just laughed and I just kept on going.

As I remembered the road had several stretches of sand. The sand was fun but challenging. There was soft fluffy sand like “Fresh Fresh” and deep heavy sand. The road would have been a blast to rip through with some proper knobby tires. I dropped the big GS once and only once on this trip during one of these sandy sections. Marcia was in front of me and we changed from some powdery sand which the bikes go through pretty easy to some deep heavy sand. The Ural just sunk in the sand pit and she didn’t keep the throttle open to keep the momentum going so she slowed to a stop. Well I was too close and couldnt gas it around her so I tried to stop my Super Tanker in the deep sand. Ohh Ohh ohh ohh I couldn’t keep the bike up. I put my foot down in the sand which just sunk and slipped away under the weight and I just eased her over gently. I had Marcia take a picture as one should document every thing in this type of adventure.

We started seeing more and more bikes coming the opposite direction we where headed. The bikes where just screaming by us. Then we started seeing buggies and quads. I thought to my self what the heck is going on. Then the old brain clicked its got to be a race or pre-run of the Tecate Baja 1000. Sure enough the bikes and buggies just kept coming roaring by just barley missing us. We stopped for a break and I took a few pictures of some bikes going by.

We finally made it off the race course section of the road. The last section of road to Ojos Negros is very very sandy and as I was warned by the guys we met up with it could be deep. The road is wider in this section near the town so I just kept the RPMS up and stood up and rode off to the left or right of Marcia, who had no problems piloting the Ural through the sand.

We made it into town and stopped at a Taco stand. Out first Mexican Meal! Now it feels, smells and tastes like an adventure! The tacos rocked! We took a picture of a popsicle stand we had stopped at in 2006 just for documentation and left town with a host of Baja 1000 pre riders. Bikes Bikes and more Bikes!

We turned east toward San Felipe on Mexico 3. We had to stop for the spare gas on the Ural and a potty break. I had estimated the distance from the boarder and San Felipe. I figured with the Ural filled up at the crossing and the spare 5 gallons we had enough range to get us to San Felipe with out needing a gas station. The Pemex stations are few and far between and not guaranteed to have gas. Well according to the signs we had plenty of fuel once we put in the spare fuel. But the road just kept going and going. We passed the ONLY Pemx station between Ojos Negros and San Felipe shortly after filling up with the spare gas. Thinking we didn’t need we rode right on by. Well by the time me made it to the Military check point just north of San Felipe both of us were worried about fuel for the Ural. We could always as a last resort get fuel from the GS which carries 8 gallons but it’s a pain in the foot. I was wanting to stop at one of the many Baja Race encampments along the way and get some fuel but Marcia didn’t want to. Well we got searched at the San Felipe check point not real good but searched.

Then we rolled into San Felipe looking for gas. We made it to the Pemex stations and filled up then headed to the hotel/resort.

At the resort, The San Felipe Marina Resort, we took some pictures and
then got checked in. We had made it! No runs, hits, and only one error (me dropping the GS). The room was very nice and settled in and ordered room service. We had made it safely to our ultimate destination that we would use as a jumping off point. Let the vacation begin!

Wife’s Journal
Day 2
We woke, loaded our bikes and headed back to the Tecate turn off. It was about a 20 minutes ride. We stopped at the gas station at the border and filled up with the last bit of US regulated gasoline.
With our bikes aimed towards San Felipe we were off. We took a few pictures of the border crossing. Again, it was a breeze crossing over. We were waived right through. No questions asked, not even a blink of an eye. I was immediately smiling, even though my butt was quite sore from yesterday’s adventure; I was riding my bike in Mexico! It is a totally different feeling than being a passenger, I was driving. I love my URAL DIVA and so does just about everyone else who sees it. I had some gringo yelling approvals at me from a Taco stand on the side of the road. I have to say the food smelt so good. We didn’t eat dinner last night; in fact all we ate on Friday was the Iron Skillet. So I was quite hungry, but didn’t want to stop right over the border and eat, although my stomach was telling me something else.
We came to our first fork in the road, do we take this road or that road, as an obedient wife I followed my husband. Although I did question him and telling him I think we took the other road last time. He was sure we took this road and things looked familiar. They didn’t to me, but I could have been napping last time too. I followed and continued to smile and take pictures from the saddle. Our camera set up was brilliant, thanks Honey.
We crossed over through the toll booth and as we entered a small town we pulled off the road to assess where we were on the map and where the dirt road was we were going to take to Ojos Negros. We both agreed it was about in this location according to where we were and our surroundings. We took this dirt road to almost a dead end about a mile later, nope. Turn around and head back. We stopped at a local store front where one of the patrons came out to see our bikes (really just mine) . He gave us very specific directions, just up the road and turn left on the dirt road at the OXXO store. We thanked him and were on our way. At the OXXO we turned, but instead of trusting our new found friend, Cory decided to ask the Senorita in her yard at the turn off of the OXXO dirt road. She told us no, the turn off was about 2 miles further down the road. So we turned around and headed 2 miles down the road. About a mile down the road we passed through a road construction area. Cory breezed right on through, but as I was driving up, I thought, who would know better about the roads in this area then these guys who work on the road. So they gave me very specific instructions, up the road about 1 mile and you will see the sign for Ojos Negros. Sure enough we did. As we turned off the road we saw a guy on his Suzuki dirt bike. He was waiting for his friend. Cory chatted with him for a bit while I took pictures of them and the signs right at the turn off for a marker. Our friend on the Suzuki was worried about Cory riding on this road in the sand in street tires and told us one of his friends was shot earlier that week. Cory didn’t share the shot part with me until much later, smart man.
We left him waiting and we were off. I was real excited to hit some dirt. I was also excited to see how the URAL DIVA would handle the sand. The dirt part was a blast, the sand part was a very different experience, and the rocks were very rocky and bumpy. All in all it was great. I never thought I would enjoy riding in the dirt, but I can’t wait until we hit it.

We road on, me in front. My wonderful husband is so considerate of me; he didn’t want my bike to have to eat any more dirt than it had to. This also meant I didn’t have to eat any more dirt than I had to. I tried to remember the road and landmarks from 2006. I was unsuccessful. In 2006 we had to cross through a large puddle, well there was no puddle, just dirt, sand, and rocks. So I was a little disoriented. I love left hand turns on the URAL DIVA. I get the back end to slide out to the right as much as possible, who cares that I just put new tires on the URAL DIVA, I’m here to have fun! Well our friend on the Suzuki and his friend passed us up leaving a huge sand cloud to drive through, yuck.

As I mentioned above the sand was different. I had expectations that the sand was going to be like dirt, just more fun. I still has that snake feeling; however I knew the Ural was much more stable than a two wheeled bike. At about the deepest sand parts of this road we started to run into more and more riders and sand buggy cars and Baja cars. Which meant I had to share the road and move over. At one of these meeting I moved over to the right of the road and my sidecar wheel was buried into the sand, I was unable to move. Cory was behind me and he either had to swerve around me or basically run into me, he chose to swerve and cut in between me and the sand buggy. He never ceases to amaze me he just blasted right through the sand pit. Once around us, he stopped to wait for me, I could have put the bike into two wheel drive and call it a day, but I decided to try and work my way out of this hole, yeah I did it. Off we go again. All the bumps in the road didn’t help my already sore butt. My sit down bones were really taking a beating. We were riding through an area of trees and passed through them when all of the sudden I was buried in sand again. Cory was right behind me and his front tire buried in the sand. Over his bike went. Of course this was my fault, if I wasn’t in the way this would not have happened. As you can see in the picture he is thrilled about this.
I decided I needed a break and was ready to eat something.

We had packed granola bars, fruit snacks, and an apple in our back packs. I didn’t eat any of my snacks yesterday, so I was fully stocked. We pulled over in the shade and were soon passed up by some dirt bike riders and were left with their passing dust. Then the sand buggies were passing by. Everyone couldn’t help but check out my bike as they passed by. I think it is starting to make Cory jealous. People are like “cool rig“, then when they realize it is a chick on a bike they really dig it and the smiles get bigger. With an apple and a granola bar in my belly we head out back onto the road. The dirt road was really fun. I didn’t realize how long it was. It was warm, dusty, and quite bumpy – would I do it again – YES! We passed through a really rocky area. All I could think about was Cory instructions to me when I was on a two wheel bike; you need speed when you are in the rocky area. You need speed to go over the rocks and the shocks will absorb the impact – “momentum is your friend“. Well that is how I rode my URAL DIVA. I guess I was a little rough on her – you will see the results of that latter on.

Video of a hill

We came upon our first military stop. It was in the middle of nowhere. As I was riding in front I came upon them first. I saw one of the guys get up and walk across the road to where I would stop. With all the news about the trouble in Mexico the thought came to my mind that if anything was going to happen it would be here – no one around to witness it. Well I pulled up and immediately was greeted with a smile. When they saw me drive up and then heard my voice more guys came out to see the bike and I don’t think they could believe I was riding it. This was an easy check point. I think we prepared ourselves better last time and tried to touch up on our Spanish, but we didn’t this time and it showed. I couldn’t understand them and they really wanted to talk. Cory pulled up and he was able to communicate better, but not to the extent that they wanted the conversation. I asked one of the guys if we could take a picture, he agreed, and then I asked if we could take a picture together, he agreed. I got off the bike and walked over to him. I am a tall gal, 5’10”. Well I made him look pretty small. The other guys started saying “Chiquito” (small). I really towered over him, so in the picture I am trying to stand a little shorter. They were all smiles so when I pulled out I tried to kick up some dirt for them. I didn’t know it at the time but they were asking Cory to pop a wheelie. He tried, but he just buried his tire in the sand.

We were in the latter stretch of the dirt area when I could just smell Ojos Negros. Last time we were there we stopped at an ice cream stand – I was looking forward to repeating the same this time. We rode through the last stretch of sand and arrived in town in no time. We were looking for our ice cream stand when we came upon a taco corner stand. I just couldn’t pass it up – no dinner, an apple and a granola bar was long burned up. So I decided we needed to stop. It was a great stop. Two adobada tacos and a coke for me, three adobada tacos and a fanta for Cory. It was a dream come true. Our bill was $6.00.

We hit the pavement and headed towards San Felipe. My URAL DIVA ran out of gas again so we pulled over on the side of the road. And by the way, the roads in Mexico don’t have shoulders, the roads are built up and you have to drive down the embankment to the ‘shoulder’. We did just that and I decided this was the perfect time for a bathroom break. We had recently purchased a Freshette for me when we go on trips like this. Ladies, the Freshette is a life saver. No more squatting, no more exposed parts, no more hassle. You now can relieve yourselves like a man – stand up and keep your back to the wind. I did just that. Well I didn’t realize we had visitors when I was using my Freshette. There were about 5 burros (donkey) hiding out with me. I was a little startled, but they didn’t seem to notice me at all. They were standing out in the shade and trying to catch a snack. This was Mexico 3 a major highway and they didn’t seem to notice.

Back on the bikes we headed out. We were coming down a hill and saw a PeMex gas station. I reasoned in my head that I have a full tank and San Felipe isn’t far away, so I decided to drive on. Oh oh oh, never ever on the URAL DIVA pass up a gas station without your spare fuel completely full. Well as we were driving east on Mexico 3 we saw a bunch of trucks parked on the side of the road with dirt bikes loaded in the beds of the trucks, Cory was thinking about stopping and asking them if they had any spare fuel. I said no, let’s keep moving on. Well my fuel was running very low as we approached the military crossing before you get into San Felipe. The military crossing was a little busy, so while we waited I turned off the bike to conserve fuel. When it was our turn of course they wanted to search through our stuff, so we let them. I had to explain that the big bag on the back of my sidecar was a Kayak and the paddles were in the sidecar. We got the green light and a bunch of smiles and we were on our way. We had to stop again at the military stop just 20 feet away on Mexico 5. They search you coming into San Felipe either from Mexico 5 or Mexico 3. Again they wanted to search through my stuff again, so I let them. Then someone yelled from the other military stop that we had just come from their check point, so they gave us the wave through.
Once on Mexico 5 I was driving very slow to conserve fuel. Cory thought I was driving slowly to annoy him, silly boy. I was starting to think about what would happen if we ran out of gas on the side of the road. Who would stay with my bike and who would get the fuel? If I drove on, what if I dropped Cory’s bike? I would never be able to pick it up again. If I stayed behind, what if someone tried to give me a bad time? These crazy thoughts can drive you insane. Before I went insane I saw a PeMex sign and thought – just what the Dr. ordered.
All the pumps were marked in a way as to indicate they were out of order. So I went inside to ask about the pumps, they didn’t have gas and wouldn’t have gas for another 2 hours. Agggghhhh. I don’t know what I was more annoyed at more. The fact that they said they didn’t have gas, or the fact that they said it would be 2 hours. ‘2 hours’ is the most common phrase you hear in Mexico. The last time we were in Mexico and heard 2 hours it was a nightmare. As Cory says, ‘So what are you going to do?’ We decided that Mexico’s 2 hours was not something we wanted to wait around for, so we mounted back up and headed out. We were in San Felipe in a blink of an eye and found gas. The gas station was so busy. We pulled up to a pump and waited for an attendant. We waited for about 5 minutes before one of the attendants asked us if we needed gas. Of course we did, why else would we be here, but that is not what we told him, but it was what went through my mind. He said if we need gas we need to get into another line. So we changed lines and filled up my URAL DIVA and the spare gas can. Never ever again will I pass up a gas station if my spare fuel is not completely full.
We asked for directions to the San Felipe Marina Resort and were pointed in the right direction. As we pulled up to the resort you can tell by the pictures that darkness was soon approaching. We checked into the resort and into our room. The room was nice and the view was breath taking. After unloading our bikes we were talking about dinner. The resort had a restaurant on sight, so we ordered room service - Taquitos and Chicken Fajitas. I have to say that one of the things Cory wanted to do when we crossed over the boarder was to exchange some American money for Mexican Pesos. I persuaded him against it. Everyone accepts American dollars. So we didn’t do that. Yes, everyone accepts American dollars. But everyone is a person – when you want a beverage from a Coke machine you need Mexican Pesos, not American dollars. I tried to call the front desk to ask them about a market or a store close by, but soon learned that most of the front desk attendants knew enough English to Check you In and Check you Out. There was one Senorita who knew more, but she had already gone home. So I decided to walk to the front desk and see if talking face to face would help – it didn’t. I wanted to exchange a few dollars for Mexican Pescos so I could purchase some Cokes from the vending machine in the lobby. What the front desk clerk told me was something I have never heard of – we don’t have money here. This is totally ridiculous because she had just told me about 30 minutes ago that I can leave a Cash deposit or place the deposit on a VISA card.
Walking back to my room I called room service to see if they had Cokes available, yes they did so I placed an order for some. Dinner was $46.00 usd. The Taquitos were covered in sour crème (yuck) but the Chicken Fajitas looked promising. The Taquitos were small and a little overcooked and the Chicken Fajitas were o.k. The room was really nice. It was completely white inside. The floor was white tile, the walls were painted white. There were two couches in the shape of an L with a coffee table where the two sides meet and a coffee table in the middle of the room. The couches also double as two twin beds. The kitchen was equipped with a two burner stove, a refrigerator, and a breakfast bar. The decorations were of course a Mexican flair. It was a perfect size and was very comfortable with us and all of our gear. This was going to be a good trip. Actually this was a trip for me. A trip where we don’t have to move everyday; pick up the camp site and drive all day to only set up camp site again and again and again. We are in a building with 4 walls, running water, hot showers, all the comforts of home. Ahhh, this is a true vacation.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 11:14 AM
Old 11-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #19
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I am in and as a Ural Retro rider all I can say is that first day was crazy long. I am good for 300-400 in a day. Now get it done sooner then the Copper Canyon epic I enjoyed.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Some folks are never happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpres
I am in and as a Ural Retro rider all I can say is that first day was crazy long. I am good for 300-400 in a day. Now get it done sooner then the Copper Canyon epic I enjoyed.
Common Man we have to work and stuff. This one will be a little faster.

Update on Day three in just a second.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #21
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Ok I will cut you a little slack as I have that work problem too. I am just very intersted in how the Ural and your very special wife did.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 3 November 9th 2008

Day 3 November 9th 2008

San Felipe and the Shrimp Festival

We woke up in the late morning to a beautiful view of the beach right out of our back door. We got dressed and grabbed the cameras and took a walk around taking in the view from our room.

The back door patio of our room

One of the benefits of the Ural is once we get to where we are going it’s the perfect two person transportation. The wife gets to sit in the side car and relax and I get to ride it! So the Ural was our mode of transportation for the next week.

Into town for some Tacos!

We got into town and found that the down town area was being set up for what looked like a county fair here in the states. We started walking and looking around and found out it was the annual San Felipe Shrimp Harvest Festival! Score! We had also noticed more Baja 1000 vehicles. I love VW's!

More Hondas than you can shake a stick at.

Ural parking

This one is for Dad! (HiHoSilver)

Hotel and bank from the last trip in 2006

We had lunch at the Taco Factory where we had ate dinner on our last ride through in 2006. Tacos where good one shrimp and three steak!

This guy showed up while we ate. He had a bag of shrimp for sale. It dosnt get any fresher than accross the street to the Taco shop!

The damage!

After lunch we found a Churro stand in the booths being set up for the festival Double Score!

Main strip of San Felipe along the water where the boats come in with their catch.

The Police had nice new Dodge Chargers and Trucks!

We found out last time in traveled in Mexico Churros are seasonal mainly the Christmas season. We only found one stand selling Churros on our last ride. The Churros we found in San Felipe where awesome good made fresh to order.

We did some side walk shopping Marcia bought a Silver ring and I got a Silver money clip with some jade inlays.

The store owner and family. I like his security system!

Super Turbo Baja 1000 race bike I found on the corner!

We went to a grocery store and bought some snacks and drinks for the Hotel room. After lunch and shopping in town we rode back to the Hotel and took a nap. Yes we took a Nap! Its vacation silly.

After out nap we strolled the beach hand in hand like young lovers………then we rode back into town for more Tacos! You will notice a theme after a couple of days.

Sand Dollars

We had the best tacos so far that night while watching the marching band!

Bacon wrapped shrimp!

I ate six Tacos they were so good. Sadly it was the only time we would find that taco stand open.

The menu

We walked around a bit, the night streets full of activity from the festival. I asked one of the Policia if I could take his picture. He wasn’t very thrilled with the idea and barley shook his head yes with a “Oh not this picture stuff again with the tourists” look on his face. Well I took the picture and thanked him then hurried off.

We hit the Churro stand again!

That was pretty much it for the day. Its just relaxing for a few days! AAHH.

Wife’s Log:
Day 3

Let me give you a little background of our Trip. Cory has been having allergy problems for quite some time. Instead of going to the Dr. he is taking over the counter medications to alleviate his symptoms. The over the counter medications are not helping. To make matters more difficult we didn’t pack any drugs because we knew we could purchase some in the Pharmacia in Mexico. With this in mind, Cory woke up every day before me and quite early. I am a good sleeper and took advantage of our vacation and slept in as much as Cory would allow.

We woke up and found ourselves with a wonderful view of the ocean. Our room was nestled right on the beach. It was a wonderful view. We decided to explore our resort. The grounds were beautiful and wonderfully kept. We walked to the pool area and Beach Bar, decided to check out the beach and get our feet a little wet.

Cory dosnt really care for the Beach because it gets sand every where This is him washing the sand off his feet.

After taking a few photos of our resort we decided to head into town on the URAL DIVA for some eats. When we were in San Felipe in 2006 we ate at a place called the Taco Factory. I remembered the Tacos were very good. We decided to head back there and repeat our first experience. As we drove into town we noticed some of the streets were blocked off and people were setting up booths along the main street bordering the Ocean. We were a little bit confused, but soon realized we arrived in time for the Shrimp Festival. We headed over to the Taco Factory and found the Tacos are good; however this time around the service was very slow. We ate, paid our bill and headed out to see what this Shrimp Festival had to offer.

What do you want on your taco?

Shrimp Tacos anyone?

We were walking along the street and were greeted by many restaurant workers inviting us to eat at their restaurant. Along the main street there were a ton of stands set up for the Shrimp Festival selling miscellaneous items from art to Churros. We walked from one end of the street to another and turned up the side street where they children carnival rides were set up. We purchased a few items at one particular Senoritas booth.

We had almost walked to the end of the street when we saw another Churro stand. Now there were two Churro stands along the main street, but we didn’t stop to purchase them. When we came upon this stand the Churros looked fresh and yummy. We ordered a serving which turned out to be a small size bag with Churros busting the seams for $2.00 usd. I have to say, these were the best Churros I had ever had. They were light and fluffy and crispy at the same time. The cinnamon and sugar mix was perfect. I was in heaven.

After we had our Churros we shopped the other streets that had items bordering the side walk then went to the market to pick up some snacks and drinks. We mounted up on the URAL DIVA and headed back for the Hacienda.

We tried to lay out on the Beach right along the water but Cory needed some shade. So we walked up to the Tables and I tried to lie out in the sun, but the wind was making it rather cold. We decided we had enough sun, wind, and sand for one day and headed back to the room.

About dark time we decided to head back into town to grab dinner. Parking was difficult to find unless you are on an URAL DIVA. Cory parked in a spot that wasn’t really a spot, but it worked. There were lots of people in town. It was fun. A live singing group was on the stage singing, the street was full of patrons and children running around playing. Our biggest problem was deciding on where to eat. I didn’t want to go to the Taco Factory, we had done that already. What I really wanted was Carnitas, but the stand where the Carnitas were was about 4 blocks away from the main area and it was pretty dark. We walked up and down the street trying to decide where we were going to eat. I wasn’t in the mood for shrimp, I wanted Chicken or Pork. There was one shrimp stand that had huge shrimps wrapped in bacon being grilled on a bbq. Cory was checking them out and I tried to get him to buy one, but he didn’t want to eat it if I wasn’t. Silly boy.
We finally decided to stop at a place that looked like an open restaurant. The name I could never say. I refer to it was Kirkwood, but that is nowhere near the name. The name had a lot of ‘k’ and ‘r’.
We sat down and I ordered two tacos, one chicken and one Pastor (pork), Cory ordered three tacos, two steaks and one Pastor. They were good; they were one of the best tacos in San Felipe. We ordered another round and had maxed out on our limit we set for ourselves. They were good.

Round Two!

Stuffed like a Mexican Turkey

While we were eating the marching band had approached the restaurant so we ran out and took a few pictures and one of the horn guys turned around to pose for the picture.

It was so fun to watch them celebrate. There were a lot of Police and Military men on site to ensure nothing goes wrong. They were not mingling or harassing, but merely watching. As we were walking we saw a Police man on a Quad. We asked to take a photo, and he allowed one. As you will see in the picture, he didn’t seem very happy about it though. He didn’t even look at the camera.

Cory Loves Cats and had to pet every one he found!

We walked up and down the main street then decided to head back over to my friends at the Churro stand. They smiled when they saw us. We ordered another serving and the guy frying up the Churro decided to put on a performance for us.

The Churros were as good the second time as they were the first time. After our Churros were gone we decided to head back to the resort to call it a day.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 09:42 PM
Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,992
more, more more!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #24
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
More pictures coming I have to go to work. I will finish it up in the morning. Yes I work 12 hour shifts 6pm to 6am. See you tomorrow.
Day 3 November 9th 2008

San Felipe and the Shrimp Festival

We woke up in the late morning to a beautiful view of the beach right out of our back door. We got dressed and grabbed the cameras and took a walk around taking in the view from our room.

uh - Cory?
I think you need to buy something...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #25
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,506

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
uh - Cory?
I think you need to buy something...

I dont get it? What do I need to buy?

Stand by to stand by. I have run into technical difficulties. I have exceeded my bandwith on my Photo Bucket account. Time to pony up for the full blown account. The Free one has run its course.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 12:27 PM
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #27
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Howdy Cory,

Its time to join SMUGMUG, its the BEST darn photo deal on the planet.

Shameless plug, use the coupon in my signature we both win.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #28
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

I paid up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Cory,

Its time to join SMUGMUG, its the BEST darn photo deal on the planet.

Shameless plug, use the coupon in my signature we both win.

Mr.Cob the Coke picture is for you!

Fellas its updated. Thanks for waiting!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #29
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
I dont get it? What do I need to buy?

Stand by to stand by. I have run into technical difficulties. I have exceeded my bandwith on my Photo Bucket account. Time to pony up for the full blown account. The Free one has run its course.
heh... or you could run multiple "free" accounts... but Cob is right.

Jeez there's so meany frikkin' photos this thing does load like ... nice shots though!
TT
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #30
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Great ride & report.

Nice to see a GS & Ural playing together & behaving themselves...

Been interested in Baja ever since watching the great movie "Dust to Glory"...
It must have been awesome brushing shoulders with the pre-runners.

Just a thought re your pix, which are great & show the fun you guys are having.
Please resize them - 9cm x 6cm is normally adequate.
Also maybe a little judicious editing of choices,
3-5 of the same are not always necessary.
Even with ADSL, this is taking an awfully long time to load.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote