Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #31
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
This a great RR and I love the pics. I would also recommend the SmugMug account and maybe ask (in the nicest way possible) for less duplicates - this thread takes a very long time to load.

My local KTM / Kawa / Suzi dealer also sells Urals. After reading this, I had to run by there and at least sit on one! I don't see one in my future but it's very cool to see yours being used the way it was meant.

Can't wait for more.....
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #32
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Well if you sat on it...chances are you'll own one in less than 4 months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones
This a great RR and I love the pics. I would also recommend the SmugMug account and maybe ask (in the nicest way possible) for less duplicates - this thread takes a very long time to load.

My local KTM / Kawa / Suzi dealer also sells Urals. After reading this, I had to run by there and at least sit on one! I don't see one in my future but it's very cool to see yours being used the way it was meant.

Can't wait for more.....
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #33
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Unbelievable

I just have to say I have not been working on this report because im frankly fed up with some folks. I am going to say this tacktfully and to the point. My personality and profession tends to make me blunt and to the point.

Some people are never happy. Some guys ask for a lot of pics, some want less. Some just want to complain about the size of pictures and the apparent repeats of some pictures; that are taken in the same spot with TWO different cameras.

This is a report with TWO different points of view and TWO cameras. Some pictures will look very close but one is my shot and one is my wifes shot.

If you dont want to read the report move on and go about your business. Im not going to taylor OUR report to what you think it should be. Im not a computer geek and im not going to take the extra time to resize pictures. My wife and I both work FULL TIME and over time most weeks. This report takes long enough to get posted and some folks get frustrated with that.

So with that said, I am going to finish this report. It will be probably my last as it takes my time to get it posted; when i could be doing some thing constructive around my house that I have to take care of. Im a Deputy Sheriff and I deal with drunk and or unhappy people 12-15 hours a day while im at work. I dont take LIP from them and i wont take it from... well you get the point.

If you dont want to read it or take the time to download the pictures dont read it. Write your own report but that means you will have to get away from your computer and go for a ride.

I dont want this to turn into a Jo Momma session, I just want to clear the air. Think what you will and call me what you want but move it to the basement.

If you want to follow a Ural report, which is the whole point, follow along.

Cory Johnson

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

San Felipe Day 4

San Felipe Day 4

November 10th

More tacos! and more of doing nothing.

I got up early and found this fat cat on the back patio.

We hit the beach and got some sun

We ate breakfast at the hotel. It looked good but it just didnt taste right. I guess when in Mexico stick with Mexican food.

Sea shells down by the sea shore

We took another nap

Dinner was good and we had our first chips and salsa. Live guitar serenade too.

Fish soup

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 03:37 PM
Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #35
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I am enjoying your report and hope this isn't the last of it, you still have the ride home to tell, and I would still like to hear how the Ural did on the whole trip.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #36
Red08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wink

I have looked at the Ural for a few years now, thought it would be a good ride to take to ALASKA. After my trip up to the Arctic Circle this past June/July on the KLR650, I doubt that it would make it between GAS stops, so I can see why you have the Xtra cans along. What kind of milage did you get ?

Plan to do a trip to the east coast and PEI plus Newfoundland this coming year. Nice RR.

Thanks, RED08

Btw- Looks like you know how to Eat ! What are 'Churros' ?

2010 FLSTFB Black Denim
2008 KLR650 = RED08
1982 FT500 = Old Thumper
2005 Mustang Convertible RED

Michigan Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Life AMA
Life Member Hog.
Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #37
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Alaska 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08
I have looked at the Ural for a few years now, thought it would be a good ride to take to ALASKA. After my trip up to the Arctic Circle this past June/July on the KLR650, I doubt that it would make it between GAS stops, so I can see why you have the Xtra cans along. What kind of milage did you get ?

Plan to do a trip to the east coast and PEI plus Newfoundland this coming year. Nice RR.

Thanks, RED08

Btw- Looks like you know how to Eat ! What are 'Churros' ?
I think it would be a perfect Alaska rig too. We are planning Alaska in 2010. With the five gallon can the bike will go 250 miles no problem. We averaged 27mpg and got from 25-30mpg.

I had a 3.5 gallon fuel cell made since this trip and im mounting it behind the drivers seat over the tail light. It will be all plumbed in and will make a huge difference. The stock tank goes roughly 115+ miles then start looking for fuel or just use the can. Its kind of a pain on longer days when your stoping every 115miles or so. With the fuel cell and a spare gas can as well your good to go for longer stints and range.

"What are Churros?" Are you serious?
Churros are fried dough with sugar and cinnamon. Its crispy out side with a soft middle and should be warm and or fresh.

We live in Northern California its influenced by Mexican food and I love to eat good Mexican food.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the Churros.

Churro

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Churros)
Jump to: navigation, search
Churros
Churros served with thick hot chocolate
Origin information
Alternate name(s) :Porras
Calentitos
Papitas
Country of origin :Spain
Dish information
Course served :Breakfast
Serving temperature :Hot
Main ingredient(s) :Flour

Computer generated image depicting the traditional shape of a churro.

Churros

Churros, sometimes referred to as a Spanish doughnut, are fried-dough pastry-based snacks, sometimes made from potato dough, that originated in Spain. They are popular in Latin America, France, Portugal, the United States, and Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands. The snack gets its name from its shape, which resembles the horns of the Churro breed of sheep reared in the Spanish grasslands of Castilla.[citation needed] There are two types of churros in Spain. One is thin (and usually knotted) and the other, especially popular in Madrid, is long and thick (porra). They both are normally eaten for breakfast dipped in hot chocolate.

[edit] Preparation

Churros are typically fried until they acquire a crunchy consistency and then sprinkled with sugar. The surface of a churro is ridged due to being piped from a churrera, a syringe with a star-shaped nozzle. Churros are generally prisms in shape, and may be straight, curled or spirally twisted.
Like pretzels, churros are often sold by street vendors, who in many cases will fry them freshly on the street stand and sell them hot. In Spain, Mexico and Argentina, they are available in cafes for breakfast, although they may be consumed the whole day as a snack. Specialized churrerías can be found as street shops or as towable wagons during the vacations. In Colombia they can be found in the streets but they are thin and shaped like a ring.

[edit] Variations

In Andalusia, Spain, churros are made with deep-fried wheat flour and sold in spirals or wheels, which can be broken into manageable portions after frying. These are generally called porras and calentitos or calientes, as opposed to the potato dough version made in the rest of Spain, also sold in the region but under the name Papitas or Calentitos de Patatas.
In parts of South East Spain, a much thinner dough is used which does not allow for the typical ridges to be formed on the surface of the churro. The final result has therefore a smooth surface and is more pliable and of a slightly thinner diameter than standard Spanish churros. Another difference is that sugar is never sprinkled on them as the flavour is not considered suitable.
Filled, straight churros are found in Cuba (with fruit, such as guava), Brazil (with chocolate, doce de leite, among others), and in Argentina, Peru, Chile and Mexico (usually filled with dulce de leche, but also with chocolate and vanilla). In Spain they have a considerably wider diameter to allow for the filling. Tulumba Tatlısı is a sweet Turkish 'fluted fritter' that greatly resembles churros.
Until recently, churros could be difficult to find in the United States and other non-Latin countries outside of Latin American street stands and eating establishments. However, with the increased popularity of Latin American food, today there are a growing number of franchise restaurants that sell fresh churros, both traditional and filled.
In October 2008, San Diego-based chain Jack in the Box added bite-size "Mini Churros" to its menu, sold in bags of five or 10.
Churros are similar to Youtiao, a type of bread in Chinese cuisine. It is also a common breakfast dish, but it differs in that it is savoury rather than sweet

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 03:15 PM
Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #38
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day #5 Ural repairs and Kayaking

Day 5 November 11th 2008

San Felipe Baja CA

Ural repairs and Kayaking the Sea of Cortez

Oh yeah you know what time it is!? (It’s Taco Time!)

We had decided it was time to break out the Kayak and get the paddles wet. SO I was up early and started inflating the Kayak. (We got it at REI on sale for like $350)

Ready!

That cat was back on the patio.

The Marines hit the beach.

Test Testing the Panoramic mode

Water was like glass

We did some beach front condo shopping

After a good time out on the water we headed back into shore. I wanted to give the Ural a once over and do some bolt patrol.

I had noticed the past day heading in and out of town a rattle coming from the back of the Ural. I was not sure if it was some thing bouncing in the trunk or some thing had worked its way loose. So out i go to the parking lot and start tire kicking and giving it the work up. I found that the exhaust pipe was loose. No problem break out the tool kit and I get it fixed in no time.

I had thought I could just tighten the clamp that hold the exhaust can on the actuall pipe. The can just slips on and is clamped tight in two spots. Well not so fast. The problem was more than things coming loose.

The sleeve that slips over the exhaust pipe that comes out of the can was actually loose and was moving inside of the can.

Its the sleeve that is sticking right out of the top of the can. It had broke loose inside of the can. It will make more sense in a minute when you see how i got it fixed.

So the choices are:

A. Run no can (started it up and it was way way too loud)

B. Put the can back on tighten it as good as possible and deal with the rattle till we got home. (Marcia hadnt noticed anyway)

C. Get the can welded and solve the problem. It would have to be welded any way when we got home.

It should be noted that this was not a problem that would have stopped the Ural. It could have kept traveling but I wanted to fix it. Being in San Felipe that is set up fixing Baja 1000 rigs I knew I could get it fixed cheap and right now. We had passed several repair shops while in town running around. So we opted to go into town and get the can welded up Plan C. So we got in the rig and ran it with no pipe into town.

First stop was a winner! The shop.

The boss who did the work. He was fixing this boat when we arrived. This is a typical work boat for fishing or shrimping.

His assistants with the can cleaning and preping it for welding.

"Yeah man we should take this guy for every penny he's got! And take his bike!"

The Boss at work with the stick and torch.

Finished product. Just like new!

The cost of a motorcycle ride to Baja $1000. The cost of the repair $30.00. I love Mexico. Its priceless!

This old guy showed up while they were working on my pipe. He is from BC Canada and comes down to San Felipe every winter. His clean 69 bug with OEM gas heater. He shouldnt have been driving, he was there for backing into some thing and needed his bumper fixed. It was a sight watching him back the bug into the spot you see it in. Me and the boss just looked at each other and laughed.

His 150 LB Lab in the back seat was just as tired.

The shop welding tow truck way cool.

What was Marcia doing? Taking a nap silly!

So the Ural was ready to Rock and Roll again! I love the challenge of an on the road repair. This one was easy cause all i did was take the pipe off and when it was welded I had help putting it back on. (we are still running this weld repair with no issues)

We took the Ural into town had some lunch. We walked around the town a little and stopped by the Churro stand but it was closed.

We did some more grocery shopping and then back to the hotel for a bit.

We took the Ural back into town for dinner.

This was the only picture Marcia took that day?

Tomorrow we ride down to Puertocitos and get in the natural HOT SPRINGS!

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 05:31 PM
Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #39
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I am glad to see you are still working on this report. As for the Ural in alaska bring it on, but it has been done.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #40
Dratharr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Great report keep it coming!
Dratharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #41
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day #6 Puertecitos for the Hot Springs!

Day 6 November 12th 2008

San Felipe Baja CA to Puertecitos

Hot Springs

I got up and guess who was on the back patio? Yep that kitty cat just suning on the chair.

We had wanted to go check out the natural Hot Springs in the little town of Puertecitos. So we packed up the Ural with some water and snacks. We rode into San Felipe and got gasolina and brunch. We wanted to eat and gas up before riding down to Puertecitos knowing that there is nothing between San Felipe and Puertecitos.

We had the best El Pastor tacos at this little stand. They are in the running for the best Taco's of the trip. They could not get any fresher than this.

The lady litterally was making the corn tortillas right next to the guy cooking the meat. She would roll out a tortilla he would throw it on the grill to cook it and then put the hot fresh Pastor on the fresh taco shell.

Hot fresh and it dosnt get any better.

On the road to Puertecitos!

The sand was almost like fresh fresh. The narrow tires on Ural kind of just sunk in while I took the above picture. Here is a video of the Two Wheel Drive on Ural in action.

Kilometer marker

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-25-2008 at 11:14 AM
Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #42
mjlang
Man Caves Rule!

Oddometer: 165
HotMamma and Cory,
I was the guy you met just out side Tecate on the Husaberg. I'm glad you made it to all the best places to eat and home again. The scenery is great and unspoiled but the chow is the best! Send me a PM next time you come down, I'll pull out my KTM 950 and ride with you for a day or two. There are some really great rides further south.
Morgan

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC
mjlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #43
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day #6 Puertecitos for the Hot Springs! Continued

Day 6 November 12th 2008

San Felipe Baja CA to Puertecitos

Hot Springs

The paved road ends when you reach town

There are two Pemex gas stations in town. Neither have gas or have been open in a long time. The old one looks like it has been closed a long time and the new one looks like it has never opened or been finsihed.

Vacation Homes

This is a gated community.

This is a remote, rugged, stunningly beautiful, town.

We had to follow this Security/Care taker to the hot springs. We had to pay $5 to use the hot springs. Worth every penny.

The towns people have made a walk way down to the springs and cemented in some areas to sit in the pools. You can only get into the pools at low tide. We had to wait about 30 minutes for the water to be just right.

After relaxing in the Hot Springs for about 3 hours with a picnic lunch we headed back to San Felipe and the Hotel.

If you have never been down to Baja you will never know how BIG and OLD these Cacti are.

We stopped for some pics with the GIANTS

Later that night we did go into town for, yep more tacos. We also walked around for a bit and stopped into this pastry shop.

This ant no Costco its all hand made.

Full moon and reflection

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 12-27-2008 at 11:56 AM
Old 12-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #44
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 289
Thanks!!

First of all, thanks for the report. Looks like a ball.

I notice that you folks didn't go the "camp in the desert" route. While that's OK (camping) for some people, I think my wife would prefer it the way you are doing it.

Could you answer a couple of questions for me? First, were you able to make hotel/motel reservations over the internet? Second, if you wouldn't mind sharing it with me, what kind of $$ are we talking to do it the way you did -- like how much (aprox.) were the motels per night and how much did you spend per day on food? I won't ask about beer cuz' I think that could vary ----- widely!!

thanks much

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #45
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Hey Morgan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlang
HotMamma and Cory,
I was the guy you met just out side Tecate on the Husaberg. I'm glad you made it to all the best places to eat and home again. The scenery is great and unspoiled but the chow is the best! Send me a PM next time you come down, I'll pull out my KTM 950 and ride with you for a day or two. There are some really great rides further south.
Morgan
Nice meeting up with you. Small world. I shot you a PM. We will get together soon.

Cory