Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #46
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,650
4r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny
First of all, thanks for the report. Looks like a ball.

I notice that you folks didn't go the "camp in the desert" route. While that's OK (camping) for some people, I think my wife would prefer it the way you are doing it.

Could you answer a couple of questions for me? First, were you able to make hotel/motel reservations over the internet? Second, if you wouldn't mind sharing it with me, what kind of $$ are we talking to do it the way you did -- like how much (aprox.) were the motels per night and how much did you spend per day on food? I won't ask about beer cuz' I think that could vary ----- widely!!

thanks much

4r
Ill send you a PM on this one. I will also post a statistics run down at the end of the report.
Cory

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #47
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Thumb

I have enjoyed and am looking for the next update.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #48
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #49
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 7

November 13th 2008

San Felipe Baja CA

Oh yeah you know what time it is!? (It’s Taco Time!)

I got up just before sunrise for some pictures. I bought this camera for this trip; I was still playing with it. Marcia was still asleep.

Once Marcia got all her sleep in, we rode into town. We had seen this guy riding around all week. He would hit different construction sites and corners and sell his drinks I think. Cool rig.

Marcia had been looking for Carnitas tacos the whole week. We final found a stand that was open. Flip the Ural around in a stunt like U-turn and park it.

The Senorita who owned and operated her one woman taco shop. Nice camo pants!

What do you like on your taco? Every taco shop has a little different selection.

The finished product ready for eating.

Smile we found some Carnitas!

We only had a sampler taco or two or three at the Carnita stand. We had seen another stand through out the week that looked good too. We had yet to try it. So we just had a couple or three carnita tacos and went down the block to the other stand that we had been wanting to try. Score! Asada rocks!

Marcia had a fish taco

I know how these dogs felt. We had been lazy dazy all week!

Peliconos (Pelicans)

San Felipe bay

After brunch and a walk around town we headed back to the hotel for another paddle in the Kayak.

Nap time after the paddle. Then into town later that night for dinner.

Moon light walk on the beach

I got the kitty to come inside for some jerky

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 01-08-2009 at 09:56 PM
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #50
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Where is your town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres A

Andeas where is Reynosa Mexico?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #51
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Reynosa is on the border with Texas, U.S.A., to 60 miles from golfo de Mexico, the citys on the U.S.A. border are Hidalgo and Mcallen Texas.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #52
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 8

November 14th 2008

San Felipe Baja CA to Indio Ca 225 miles

Well to be honest I had enough of doing nothing. Dont get me wrong it was fun but I was ready to do something else. Marcia would have been happy to relax for two weeks but I was going nuts and the trip to the hot springs and exhaust repair were the only things that kept my sanity. We did do some Kayaking and stuff but the weather was so nice Marcia just wanted to hang out on the beach. So I talked Marcia into going home early. I told her we would ride home in two days taking a different route. I had to promise a nice hotel every night. (I had house work and stuff at home I could be doing instead of hanging out in a small town and i missed my "Ginger" my own pussy cat). Hey some guys like dogs, I like cats.

So we packed up and headed out of San Felipe. We had to stop at the military check point just north of town at the intersection of Mex3 and Mex5. Again they didnt care about me and my bike they liked Marcia and the Ural.

This guy was joking around with Marcia, he wanted to get in the chair and go for a ride but his Sgt. was standing right there.

We decided to go north straight out Mex5 to Mexicali and try a different boarder crossing. There is a large desert slash dried sea bottom on that stretch of road. There are sand dunes and large flat plains. The wind was really blowing and we bucked a cross wind the whole stretch.

(The stock Ural air filter has its limits when it comes to dusty conditions. It clogs pretty easy in my opinion so i carry a spare filter ready to swap in the tool box tank. Its a quick 10 minute stop to switch it out and get going again.)

So Marcia flagged me down and we pulled over and she told me that the Ural seemed to be loosing power. She thought it was the filter. It was NOT sputtering like a filter issue would but I didnt have any other ideas and she could NOT give me any more info other than it was not as powerfull as normal. I asked her if it could be the strong cross wind and she wasnt sure. I was thinking its probably the Ural just having to buck the wind. But since we had stopped and I hadnt checked the filter at all on this ride I decided to swap it. It wasnt the filter, it was dirty/sandy but not clogged. It was the wind. The ural is like a sail in the wind. Marcia and I felt better knowing we at least ruled out the filter. As soon as we got off the windy plain it picked up power.

Filter switch pics.

I changed all the nuts to wing nuts or thumb screws so no tools are needed just put the gloves on and swap the filter. It works pretty slick.

Dirty filter above pic and on the seat below. Clean filter in my hand below.

In with the clean one after a wipe of a clean rag. Reverse steps to install.

We put some gas in the Ural too while we were stopped.

Marcia was fooling with her camera.

My better side

We rolled into Mexicali around 11am. A large city. Had a huge colledge campus, starbucks, pizza delivery bikes, and people!

The boarder fence.

Life and two countries are separated by a fence and the width of a street. Cross the boarder and people speak another language and live different cultures.

We rode to the crossing and missed the sign below that says "motorcycles" it was a faster line but once we were in the line we couldnt change.

You see the line of cars!

It was getting hot. "No im fine the line is moving we will be through soon"

We had to shut the bikes down and walk them. It was too hot and sitting still on an air cooled motor is not good.

"Ok ill just open my jacket and take my helmet off"

"Ok your right honey its hot ill take the jacket off like you did, your right" We were walking the bikes it got hot quick!

Getting closer

This guy took the right lane

Well we got to the customs toll booth and we were asked where are you coming from and what are you bringing back. "San Felipe and just Mexican gas" I said! Welcome to the USA and California!

Back in the States we opened up the throttle and headed for Indio CA. A desert Oasis with sun, golf courses, palm trees, and swimming pools. We rode to one of our time share reosrts and checked in late that afternoon.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 01-08-2009 at 09:57 PM
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #53
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Looked like a fun trip, where were the tourists? It looked pretty empty. I haven't been to San F for at least 15 years, after your report I want to go again, thanks.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #54
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg
Looked like a fun trip, where were the tourists? It looked pretty empty. I haven't been to San F for at least 15 years, after your report I want to go again, thanks.
It was our second time in San Felipe. First time there we told each other we have to come back. Not alot of tourists while we where in San Felipe but there were a few.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #55
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 9

November 15th 2008

Indio Ca to Santa Nella CA
402 miles

After our four star hotel and dinner we loaded up our dirty bikes and put our dirty, dusty, stinky, riding gear on and hit the road. XM radio pumping out the classic jams. Infact the XM radio worked the whole time even in Baja.

Name that tune?

I was trying to get a good shot of the Joshua trees but it didnt work out.

Marcia splitting lanes on the Ural!

Pretty uneventfull day other than we got to ride and not work. We rode a little over 400 miles to Santa Nella Ca. We got there at night in the dark and cold. We stayed at the Andersens Split Pea Soup place.

Marcia with a hot cup of Hot Chocolate to warm up after the days ride.

Hows the hot CoCo dear? (she was being funny with cross eye) LOL

An American dinner for two

After dinner and warmed up nice N toasty, we turned in for the last night on the road. Tomorrow we make it home.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 01-08-2009 at 10:10 PM
Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #56
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
I just have to say I have not been working on this report because im frankly fed up with some folks. I am going to say this tacktfully and to the point. My personality and profession tends to make me blunt and to the point.

Some people are never happy. Some guys ask for a lot of pics, some want less. Some just want to complain about the size of pictures and the apparent repeats of some pictures; that are taken in the same spot with TWO different cameras.

This is a report with TWO different points of view and TWO cameras. Some pictures will look very close but one is my shot and one is my wifes shot.

If you dont want to read the report move on and go about your business. Im not going to taylor OUR report to what you think it should be. Im not a computer geek and im not going to take the extra time to resize pictures. My wife and I both work FULL TIME and over time most weeks. This report takes long enough to get posted and some folks get frustrated with that.

So with that said, I am going to finish this report. It will be probably my last as it takes my time to get it posted; when i could be doing some thing constructive around my house that I have to take care of. Im a Deputy Sheriff and I deal with drunk and or unhappy people 12-15 hours a day while im at work. I dont take LIP from them and i wont take it from... well you get the point.

If you dont want to read it or take the time to download the pictures dont read it. Write your own report but that means you will have to get away from your computer and go for a ride.

I dont want this to turn into a Jo Momma session, I just want to clear the air. Think what you will and call me what you want but move it to the basement.

If you want to follow a Ural report, which is the whole point, follow along.

Cory Johnson
VERY WELL SAID Please do not let a few idiots ruin your taste for sharing RReports in the future........there are many that have read this without comment that are truly enjoying the journey and your style of writing/sharing

Please continue, as some of us do truly enjoy following along, even if it takes days to load, I would still be waiting for the next update..............

I appreciate, and my wife, also appreciates both of your efforts

This thread has sealed the deal with my wife..........I have permission to add a Ural Gear-up to the stable

Thanks!!!!!

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #57
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 10

November 16th 2008

Santa Nella CA to Napa CA 131
miles

We didnt have far to ride to get home today. So we took our time and got ready. Then we had the free breakfast at the hotel.

Smile honey we are almost home. Marcia dosnt like mornings too much. Me either really.

Hot Fresh make your own waffles.

Cup of joe and two oranges juice's

So with free breakfast we didnt have to stop tell we got home. (Well we did have to stop for fuel for the Ural once.) We topped off the tanks and headed home. We just took Hwy 5 then over to Livermore then 680, 580 to 80 to 29 to Napa.

Marcia had a run in with a bee. Oh poor baby. This is actually the second time she has been stung while riding. I told her to keep her jacket closed/sipped up and that wont happen. She didnt appreciate my insensitivity.

The stinger

Back on the road we could smell the finish. With one stop for gas for the Ural we were home.

To Baja and back! We made it!

The Ural and GSA actually complemented each other nicely. Yeah they do really. The GSA has the lower 1st and 6th gears and I changed the final drive to the lower 1100 GS gears. So at 55-65 its just right for both bikes. The GSA also carries more fuel incase you might need it in an emergency for the Ural.

Marcia proud pilot of the Ural is totally in love with her bike. She is so happy with it and has rode more miles on it than any other two wheeler she had in the past.

My old GSA has 77,xxx miles on it and runs like a top.

So some final thoughts. Yes your wife just might love a sidecar! She can ride it too with confidence off road.

We had no issues on this trip that would have stopped us. The exhaust fix like previously stated was not a trip stopper. The Ural could have gone on with out an immediate repair. The stock air cleaner can be worked with if you keep a spare air filter on hand (most guys do). Our filter was not clogged it was the wind. The Ural dosnt have a lot of highway power but it will get you there. Dont buy one if you want a freeway flyer and performance machine. If you are willing to work with its parameters its a great machine.

Trip stats:

The Ural rolled 2,656 Km or 1,650 miles

MPG average 22-27 (yeah i know but each tank was different and some was Mexican gas)

Top speed 72mph (down the grape vine)

It didnt use a drop of oil. It did use a lot of gas. It did every thing we asked. In short it was the perfect ride for my wife and I. We are happy with it. She is all jazzed about Alaska in 2010!

If you have questions just ask. Ride safe and all the time!

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 01-09-2009 at 09:56 AM
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #58
BoatRide
n00b?????

Oddometer: 20
A Big Thank you!!

thanks for the effort. My wife and i head down next week. Driving/trailering bikes from Steamboat to Tucson, she flies in and we ride. She on a 650 gs and me on a 1200. i will submit a rr and hopefully will be a great ride like yours! thanks again, Ren
BoatRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #59
El-Dracho
Africa Twin RD07a

Oddometer: 48
Wooohooo, What a trip . Great pics . Thanks for the great report .

One day I will come over and do Baja . Greetings from a cross the pond!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #60
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,948
Cory and Marcia, thanks for sharing your trip, been following this one for a while. Mexico looks like a fantastic place to explore.

Loved the Ural, I'm trying to get my wife to take over our Wing outfit and I get a new bike. Ha! wish me luck.

Tdave
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote