ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,356
2015 SWNH Annual Charity Ride

Never too early to start the thread.

So, for those unfamiliar with my little event, this will be our 4th (or 5th) annual charity ride in the woods of Southwestern New Hampshire. This event started with good intentions, and after the first year changed from big bikes to the smaller knobby bikes, and from unpaved roads and some trails to mostly trails and a few unpaved roads.

Pics from 2014: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...charity&page=8

Pics from 2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...892397&page=10

For 2015, it's going to be back to the roots, that is, bring some canned food or nonperishable boxed food to donate to Helping Hands in Troy, NH.
In 2014 we collected cash for a downed rider, which worked out well as I did not have to carry bunch of food around, but I'd like this to be the exception rather than the rule.

The food donations work well, and we can all feel good about doing something for the less fortunate amongst us, and the community also tends to perceive muddy dirtbike riders with a less critical eye (particularly the local PD).

Schedule - date not decided yet, but I'm open to suggestions. As in years past, this will be a casual event/ride that is NOT organized. You come on your own accord, ride at your will, and neither I nor anyone else assumes any responsibility for you. You break it, you fix it. Simple.

I would hate to have to have people sign waivers and stuff.

We will meet on an agreed-upon date at 09:00, collect our donations, and ride promptly. There will be a lunch stop along the way, and a gas stop if needed.

In years past, I had gotten positive feedback about my routes, and most riders enjoyed the 50+ miles of trails thrown into the mix. Well, I scouted today some new terrain, and rode about 45 miles on new-to-me trails and dirt roads in the area (I'll just have to make sure all of the connectors are legal). Between now and then, I'll make a new route which will incorporate some of the old favorites (the Swanzey/Troy loop) with the stuff I found today, aiming at 80-100 miles of mostly dirt. New this year will be a couple optional hero sections for the brave at heart.

So, if you are returning, thank you, and please let me know:

What would you like to keep in the route or what you'd like to skip?

Camping or no camping? - Some of you camped at Liza's and Bob's last year. The campground is about 45 min ride from Troy, the central point in the ride. Since most of the new stuff I found is from Troy to points south/west, I'll leave that up to the majority vote. The ride from the campground to Troy last year was about 80% dirt.

Would you like to limit the number of riders to ____?
We seem to grow in numbers every year, but it hasn't been a problem yet. Chime in with how you feel about it.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

When _______

Where_______

The IN list:

henrymartin
DeOpressoLiber
Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Since you like riding in the damned heat so much and Bob and Liza were gracious enough to host an event, would there be enough riding in the area for two days worth? That would make camping a better option, especially for those who haven't made the trek for just one days' worth of riding....

"As in years past, this will be a casual event/ride that is NOT organized. You come on your own accord, ride at your will, and neither I nor anyone else assumes any responsibility for you. You break it, you fix it. Simple."

What is this bullshit? You're such a douche.... it IS organized- it's on a WORLD wide web, has a ring leader, has a specific meet up time, a planned lunch stop and requires non-perishable items...... sound pretty f'ing organized to me!

No, the real point in this nonsensical paragraph I quoted you on is the part about not assuming responsibility and, I dare laugh, the part about you break it, you fix it - what a bunch of hooey! You would NEVER leave a busted bike or a rider stranded... you just don't have it in you. You may have some euro trash qualities about ya, but you ALWAYS are willing to lend a hand and are good at fixing stuff. . . don't ask me how I know! You're a good egg, Charlie Brown.

I don't think you need to limit numbers of riders. Just do like you're supposed to - wait for the rider behind you and stop at turns. Yeah, you get the accordion effect sometimes, but hey, it gives me a chance to catch a breather!

'05 TTR 250
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,434
"Euro Trash"...

OMG, I almost shot my coffee out my nose.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Oppresso Liber View Post
What is this bullshit? You're such a douche.... it IS organized- it's on a WORLD wide web, has a ring leader, has a specific meet up time, a planned lunch stop and requires non-perishable items...... sound pretty f'ing organized to me!

No, the real point in this nonsensical paragraph I quoted you on is the part about not assuming responsibility and, I dare laugh, the part about you break it, you fix it - what a bunch of hooey! You would NEVER leave a busted bike or a rider stranded... you just don't have it in you. You may have some euro trash qualities about ya, but you ALWAYS are willing to lend a hand and are good at fixing stuff. . . don't ask me how I know! You're a good egg, Charlie Brown.

I don't think you need to limit numbers of riders. Just do like you're supposed to - wait for the rider behind you and stop at turns. Yeah, you get the accordion effect sometimes, but hey, it gives me a chance to catch a breather!

Heat - you are the only one ever to come close to a heatstroke out there, so maybe the fault is your own fat ass, and not the NH weather

You know all too well what I mean by organized. No, no one will be left stranded and we (as in all of us) will do our best to help. But as far as ambulance chasers are concerned, you are on your own. Fine, I'll have CJ sign a waiver, since he is the only one crashing anyway

Euro trash? Funny, the other day you called me a NH redneck. Make up your mind.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Henry is a breed all unto himself..... misunderstood in many ways that some may perceive in a skewed fashion (admittedly, brought on by himself). But, make no mistake about it, he's a good guy who has helped me out (and others here on ADV) tremendously in innumerable ways. . . . from lending a hand with fixing broken things, lending tools and knowledge along with spare parts when needed in a pinch, and helping to upright fallen bikes and hog wrestling them out of some ridiculous bike-eating mud holes!

Sure, he's a pain in the ass..... but then again, so am I! In fact, aren't we all at one point or another? Hell, if he asked me to snap his neck if he were laying on the trail speared with a log or some other horrific life-ending/altering traumatic injury, I'd be a good friend and oblige!

Ok, enough of the love fest......

Hiya, Henry!

Now, who the hell is in for this ride???
NHBill, I'm counting you in... bring a small bike with knobbies, you're gonna need 'em
'05 TTR 250
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Heat - you are the only one ever to come close to a heatstroke out there, so maybe the fault is your own fat ass, and not the NH weather

You know all too well what I mean by organized. No, no one will be left stranded and we (as in all of us) will do our best to help. But as far as ambulance chasers are concerned, you are on your own. Fine, I'll have CJ sign a waiver, since he is the only one crashing anyway

Euro trash? Funny, the other day you called me a NH redneck. Make up your mind.
Phucker, you hit submit before I did....
'05 TTR 250
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Phucker, you hit submit before I did....

Bill is not IN, unless he gets a small bike. The 650GS would not make it out from where I was yesterday
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
De Oppresso Liber
Gnarly Adventurer

Bill has mystical powers, don't underestimate the power of the force!
'05 TTR 250
Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Bill has mystical powers, don't underestimate the power of the force!

"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote