ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
bootshd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
NJ Pine Barrens - Stokes State Forest

Hey All,

I am new to this Forum but not new to Motorcycles at all. I am also an avid Jeeper and wanted to know if anyone here rides in the Jersey Pine Barrens or up in Stokes State Forest. Both areas are great in what they have to offer but are like night and day in their terrains.
bootshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
msamsen
Goat Rider

Oddometer: 55
The Pine Barrens is a pretty popular place to ride. If you search on the forum you'll find a whole thread about the Pine Barrens 500 and related activities. I'm not personally familiar with Stokes State Forest. Are there roads/trails that are motorcycle friendly?

Mike
'14 F800GS "The Goat"
'13 R1200RT "The Mule"

The Goat - '14 F800GS
The Mule - '13 R1200RT
msamsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,054
stokes Is my backyard
Most all the roads in stokes and high point state parks are paved.
Im not sure what type of riding your looking for or if your looking to do some camping,

Walpac is the best place to fine nice easy dirt roads

Look here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786320

If your planning to ride in stokes or up north let me know or stop by for a beer
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
bootshd OP
Adventurer

The pine Barrens are nice, lots of sand and water. A bitch to clean up and that sand gets into everything. I been back in the Pines a lot with my Jeep and know it well.

For Stokes if you get back by Buttermilk falls their are some dirt trails to ride. Even some of the paved roads back in stokes are now no more than trails, they are grown over and there is a lot of washouts to traverse.
I mostly come in on Brook rd. just off Dingmans Ferry rd. and run Brook rd. to it's end by the cemetery then turn up the hill and run down to Struble rd. and take it out to Woods rd. That will bring you past a beaver dam and back to the cemetery.

I hope to have found a 1200gs before spring, as I want to get some seat time on it before my Alaska trip in 2016. So if you don't mind Yellow Iron I may just send you a PM for some spring riding.....

bootshd screwed with this post 01-29-2015 at 07:54 PM
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #5
msamsen
Goat Rider

Oddometer: 55
Hi. I did a 22,000 mile solo R/T to Deadhorse last summer. If you have any questions as you plan your trip, hit me up and we can chat.

It's a blast!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootshd View Post

I hope to have found a 1200gs before spring, as I want to get some seat time on it before my Alaska trip in 2016. So if you don't mind Yellow Iron I may just send you a PM for some spring riding.....

The Goat - '14 F800GS
The Mule - '13 R1200RT
msamsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #6
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Invite me too! I live right there and frequent the northern areas also.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM   #7
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The pine Barrens are nice, lots of sand and water. A bitch to clean up and that sand gets into everything. I been back in the Pines a lot with my Jeep and know it well.

For Stokes if you get back by Buttermilk falls their are some dirt trails to ride. Even some of the paved roads back in stokes are now no more than trails, they are grown over and there is a lot of washouts to traverse.
I mostly come in on Brook rd. just off Dingmans Ferry rd. and run Brook rd. to it's end by the cemetery then turn up the hill and run down to Struble rd. and take it out to Woods rd. That will bring you past a beaver dam and back to the cemetery.

I don't think your directions are 100% accurate.

If you come in on Brook, just off Dingmans you are nowhere near the "end" when you get to the cemetery. Up the hill from the cemetery is Tillman's Ravine. Nice, twisty, PAVED trail. The gate onto Woods is closed often I've found.

ac
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #8
bootshd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I don't think your directions are 100% accurate.

If you come in on Brook, just off Dingmans you are nowhere near the "end" when you get to the cemetery. Up the hill from the cemetery is Tillman's Ravine. Nice, twisty, PAVED trail. The gate onto Woods is closed often I've found.

ac
Right, you are not near the end of Brook rd. when you enter off of Dingmans Ferry rd. But if you run Brook to the cemetery that's were Brook rd. ends, it then becomes Mountain rd. heading down to the Falls.

If you go up the hill Tillmans rd. there is a sharp turn to the left, if you don't turn and look straight ahead there is a dirt rd that will go up pass the beaver dam and up to Woods rd and over to Struble.......
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #9
bootshd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Invite me too! I live right there and frequent the northern areas also.

ac
Made a note of it, Damn, now I just need to find my R1200gs. Seems every one I find that is a good deal is 2500 miles away......

By the way I am looking for a 2009-2011 with low to average miles, any color other than Red....
Sorry Yellow Iron, just not a fan of Red Bikes....... please send a PM if you come across something......

bootshd screwed with this post Yesterday at 03:16 PM
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #10
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Right, you are not near the end of Brook rd. when you enter off of Dingmans Ferry rd. But if you run Brook to the cemetery that's were Brook rd. ends, it then becomes Mountain rd. heading down to the Falls.

If you go up the hill Tillmans rd. there is a sharp turn to the left, if you don't turn and look straight ahead there is a dirt rd that will go up pass the beaver dam and up to Woods rd and over to Struble.......
Yeah, I guess that is true the road changes name.

I like to run Mountain to the end and then loop around and ride the dirt by Van Campen. The run along the river is nice.

I know exactly where you are talking about the sharp left turn, but I've never seen the road you are referring to with the gate open :-(

ac
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #11
bootshd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that is true the road changes name.

I like to run Mountain to the end and then loop around and ride the dirt by Van Campen. The run along the river is nice.

I know exactly where you are talking about the sharp left turn, but I've never seen the road you are referring to with the gate open :-(

ac
We were just up there about two weeks ago with our Jeeps and the road was open with no gate across it........ This time of year open trails are really hit-or-miss, they close a lot of the roads in Stokes for the winter months.....

I agree, the ride down along the river is very nice, we run it all the way down to the Delaware water gap........
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #12
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,054
Im am planning on doing some rides this year

Like another cycle de mileo
And maybe a day ride and then a after party BBQ and movie night

Here is some video footage of the arera

003 from Andrew McCurry on Vimeo.

002 from Andrew McCurry on Vimeo.

001 from Andrew McCurry on Vimeo.