ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Steelejeep OP
Long time lurker

Oddometer: 21
Pissed KTM 525 carb questions

Hopefully someone can help me. Last month I went to Baja and had the dealer set up my carb for sea level. Now I am setting it back up for altitude. I live in Summit County Colorado. 2006 ktm 525 EXC Keihin FCR-MX 3900F. I have the main jet done and now am stuck on how to adjust the accelerator pump. I need to adjust the stop from 1.8mm to 1mm and am lost on where you actually make this adjustment. The manual is vague and I have failed searching KTM talk, Thumper talk, Adv rider. I do not have the carb off the bike. I just have it loose and turned to the side. I am also wondering if there is an easy way to get to the clip. I need to adjust it as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Jeff
Steelejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,257
I'd like to help here, maybe repost in thumper's?

but I'll post my experience.

Coming from tha factory, tha accelerator pump is really lean, cuz of emmisions to be legal.

On my YZF's,Wr's, Crf,s, (mikuni carbs) there is a shaft that runs down to tha accelerator pump, and instead of adjusting tha pump itself, I took tha carb apart and opened tha jet .002" to get my bikes to run right.(this really helped out my CRF's)

Tha result was I was able to "bang tha throttle like a two stroke" without tha cough and stall.

I got this info somewhere online, and I can't remember where. Sorry for tha vague response.

Me.

BTW, try not to overfill tha oil on your 525, cuz there is a crankcase vent on it which goes to tha carb, unless you've done some crankcase vent mod's.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Genghis Swan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
We raced a 525 in this years B1K that had previously been set for altitude. We had a JD Jet Kit and it worked great. The directions are very straight forward as to which jet to use for which altitude.
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,571
Absolutely +1. I was on that bike with Rob.

The adjustment you're talking about, I think, pertains to the little screw on the right side of the carb on the accelerator pump. You need to turn that screw in or out to achieve the desired adjustment. JD Jetting has a small O-ring that affixes to the accelerator pump to help increase the performance of the accelerator pump. Makes a big difference imho.

But, just order the JD kit and you will never have problems with the carb again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan
We raced a 525 in this years B1K that had previously been set for altitude. We had a JD Jet Kit and it worked great. The directions are very straight forward as to which jet to use for which altitude.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelejeep
... I have the main jet done and now am stuck on how to adjust the accelerator pump. I need to adjust the stop from 1.8mm to 1mm and am lost on where you actually make this adjustment... ... I am also wondering if there is an easy way to get to the clip. I need to adjust it as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Jeff
As stated before, the accelerator pump adjustment is on the right side of the carb. You will see a black, plastic cover that the throttle cables go behind. It is held in place by a single, phillips head screw. Remove this cover and you will see the disk where the two throttle cables are connected. Directly below this disk will be a screw inside a spring. The screw goes through a silver metal tab and pushes on a black plastic cam. It is the clearance between the metal tab and plastic tab you want to adjust. Back the screw out until you have the proper clearance. Don't measure from the end of the threads, rather from flat portion of the metal tab.

When you say the "clip", I assume you mean the needle clip. This is fairly easy to change. With the carb rotated to the right, remove the two black, allen head bolts holding on the top cover. Remove the cover to expose the slide linkage. If you open and close the throttle, you will see the slide move up and down. Right in the middle of the slide is a silver, allen head bolt. Remove this bolt (with the spring on the bottom) and you will see the top of the needle. Pull the needle out and you will see the clip installed in one of several grooves. You can gently remove the clip and reinstall it in another groove. The spec's normally refer to the grooves as counting from the top of the needle; first groove will be the top one.

Hope this helps. I just did these adjustments on my 450EXC this weekend so they're fresh in my mind.

Dave
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Steelejeep OP
Long time lurker

Oddometer: 21
I got it! Thank you ! Jeff

I got it. Your description was spot on. I was making it more complicated then it needed to be (bad habit of mine).

Thank You! Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave
As stated before, the accelerator pump adjustment is on the right side of the carb. You will see a black, plastic cover that the throttle cables go behind. It is held in place by a single, phillips head screw. Remove this cover and you will see the disk where the two throttle cables are connected. Directly below this disk will be a screw inside a spring. The screw goes through a silver metal tab and pushes on a black plastic cam. It is the clearance between the metal tab and plastic tab you want to adjust. Back the screw out until you have the proper clearance. Don't measure from the end of the threads, rather from flat portion of the metal tab.

When you say the "clip", I assume you mean the needle clip. This is fairly easy to change. With the carb rotated to the right, remove the two black, allen head bolts holding on the top cover. Remove the cover to expose the slide linkage. If you open and close the throttle, you will see the slide move up and down. Right in the middle of the slide is a silver, allen head bolt. Remove this bolt (with the spring on the bottom) and you will see the top of the needle. Pull the needle out and you will see the clip installed in one of several grooves. You can gently remove the clip and reinstall it in another groove. The spec's normally refer to the grooves as counting from the top of the needle; first groove will be the top one.

Hope this helps. I just did these adjustments on my 450EXC this weekend so they're fresh in my mind.

Dave
Steelejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,017
Steelejeep ,
WAy to go you long time lurker finally came out of the closet and posted!

2006 pair of mismatched socks
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote