Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
cellarrat OP
Italia adventura

Oddometer: 18
Question Has anyone ridden 2up on the f800gs?

Just wanted to find out from those who have ridden with a passenger on the 800 what there thoughts were. Enough space? Enough power ( i know its not 1200 power but is it enough)? Thanks for your input!!!
cellarrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat
Just wanted to find out from those who have ridden with a passenger on the 800 what there thoughts were. Enough space? Enough power ( i know its not 1200 power but is it enough)? Thanks for your input!!!
Funny you should ask. I've been wondering that for the past 3 weeks since I got my GS, but I kinda wanted to get used to the bike before I put another person's life in my hands. Last weekend I went for a spirited ride with my parents, who ride 2-up on a R1150R. About halfway through the day my mom jumped on the passenger seat of mine, allowing dad to really take off on some curvy old highways in the area. Granted, mom's an excellent passenger and knows how to sport-ride as pillion, but we kept up just fine with plenty of power to spare. Surprisingly, the bike didn't even feel loaded and didn't even squat much (I never touched the preload, which is set somewhere in the middle.) She remarked at how smooth and easy the bike rode, and I had to agree. I got one good test of the brakes when dad signaled a turn too late, and we used every bit of brakes the GS had. Luckily it was enough! Originally I was thinking I wouldn't want to ride a passenger on the GS, but I've changed my mind.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
DesertRat
Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Not a real test, but my wife and I put about 50 miles 2 up. I couldn't tell she was aboard exept at a standstill. plent of room, no power issue at all, and she said the seat felt ok. I won't have any fear about setting off for a 2up camping trip as soon as the weather warms up and I decide which bags I want.

Mike

09 F800 GS
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
divingbiker
True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Two up, not as good as my old 1150GS

I reeeally like the 800GS and did not buy it to ride two up. I took my wife for a ride yesterday and found it to be a pleasent experience but I definately could tell she was there. She 5'7" ,120 pounds.

I like the 800GS for a lot of reasons but one big thing that comes to mind is how zippy the bike is. It almost turns on like a two stroke in the power band. Truly a blast to ride. For me, riding two up diminishes this.

If I was planning to do a lot of two up riding, I would concider moving up to the 1200 GS.

'09 F800GS
"09 KLR 650
'08 Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic
'04 F650GS
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
If a 650 twin is more than capable of two up travel why wouldn't the F800GS with more torque & HP be up to the task

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
divingbiker
True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
More than capable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
If a 650 twin is more than capable of two up travel why wouldn't the F800GS with more torque & HP be up to the task
Good evening Mr Wolf of the Night,
I guess to clerify my reply as posed by the question, "Does the 800GS have enough room and power to ride two up". One word answer, YES.

Would I buy a 800 (or 650 for that matter) twin to ride two up, NO.

If my primary interest were to ride two up, my opinion is that there are bikes better suited for this task. At $13K, (With ABS and heated grips) the F800 GS is not the inexpensive alternative. I was suggesting that, based on the FACT that I have owned/own both, for two up riding, I would get the big brother to the 800GS. (i.e the 1200GS)

In the end, this question/thread is based solely on opinion of the individuals. I guess that the absolute answer as posed lies with the riding style of that individual.

'09 F800GS
"09 KLR 650
'08 Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic
'04 F650GS

divingbiker screwed with this post 11-30-2008 at 10:39 PM
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
thelouv
ocd

Oddometer: 105
I have a Triumph Rocket III for my 2 up riding but being the 800 is the "new" bike, the wife & I did some riding 2 weeks ago. Obviously you can't compare it to my Triumph but, compared to the Aprilia Capo I sold to get the 800, it can do just as well except for rear seat comfort. She didn't really complain, but she did remark how the Aprilia had a more comfortable seat. Power, balance, flickability, brakes, all not an issue for us.
Triumph Rocket III (sold)
F800GS (got mine)
Next? Duc 1098 ADV? nope,
went back to a Jeep, and still lovin the GS
thelouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
No doubt it'll do it fine.

Enough power on tap for two. I wouldn't buy the 800 for lots of two up simply because there are much better bikes for it comfortwise. I bought the 800 for it's combined street and DIRT ability, and with a passenger I'd lose most of the dirt advantage, so if I'm staying on street or just dirt roads there are far better bikes.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,473
Talking

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
I'd say the F800GS is adequate for two up. It's fine for bombin' round town or even a couple day trip. A two up cross-country ride? Eh... you can do it. I think two peeps plus luggage on a multiday trip would be pushing the bike a bit. The wife reports that the pillion seat is pretty comfy.... but not near as comfy as her own saddle!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
cellarrat OP
Italia adventura

Oddometer: 18
Thanks guys this is all great feedback. I really like getting the real world perspective. My wife and I have ridden everything from a harley streetglide to my current aprilia futura, even a 250 scooter on the Almalfi coast. Im looking at the 800 to replace my futura and my xchallenge. My wife isnt really interested in riding across the country let alone rtw. But I think it would handle perfectly for trips out the the islands or anywhere else up here in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks again and keep it coming!!!
cellarrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
My Girl Digs it

But she's got a little butt. The only problem I would see is if your passengers butt doesn't quite fit in between the grab rails, that might be uncomfortable after a while.
mrleadfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleadfoot67
But she's got a little butt. The only problem I would see is if your passengers butt doesn't quite fit in between the grab rails, that might be uncomfortable after a while.
This post is worthless without pictures!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
My wife and I did about a 15-20 min. test ride on the GS650. Nice motor.. Not as comfy as my Wee, and she did not like it at all. However, she really liked riding the GS1200..
MrMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
QueLastima
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 6
Happy Wife, Happy Life

My past experience with a passenger has been riding with my wife on my sport bikes (GSX-R600, CBR600F2). Its not very comfortable for the driver having the passenger's upper body weight laying on top of you, especially when braking, but its expected on a bike like that. The upside is that she was very secure on the bike. She could sit right up close to me and hold on to me very well...

I've had my '09 F800GS for a few months now, and just took a spin with my wife recently. We both were immediately uncomfortable. I'm 5'10" and she is 5'2", and with the mildly stepped stock seat and us both sitting upright, our full face helmets end up at the same height. I either have to hold my head forward like a turtle reaching out of its shell, or the helmets are constantly banging into each other. That's with her holding on to me, which in my opinion is the only safe way to ride with a passenger unless they have a full backrest and armrests like some of the full dresser touring bikes. The alternative for us was for her to sit back a little further and hold onto the grab rails, which gives her no leverage to hold on, and wouldn't work if I had my side cases on for a little weekend camping. Riding along in a straight line this method seems fine, but if its twisty or I have to make an evasive maneuver for an animal or other obstacle I feel like she'll fall right off.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks.
QueLastima is offline   Reply With Quote