Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
My wife has trouble just getting on when it's fully loaded. I've watched pillions on other F8s struggle the same way. I can't figure exactly what it is. Old women, or an odd height/width thing...for the bike...not the women...although....[/QUOTE]

Same with my significant other. It's kind of comical........... I've learned not to comment though.

I would echo the other sentiments about two-up on this bike. I mainly ride blacktop and dirt roads. Blacktop is fine, but if you get onto a rough fire road, jeep trail the suspension starts wimping. There are a few tricky spots I have went offroad solo, that I am sure would be instant dump over two-up.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #32
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Yeah, you work it out pretty quick off road. When it comes to obstacles and tricky bits...If at first it doesn't feel like a good idea...it isn't.

But with practise, the low speed stuff gets easier 2-up.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Went with a mate into the country today, did a few byways, one with a steep and rocky incline, made it up in one piece but it wasn't what I could call a pleasure... With the stock pirellis it's really squirmy on loose rocks and muddy bits especially with a pillion, but then again I don't think Pirelli ever intended them to run on much more than hard packed dirt roads...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 04:46 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

It's the second you decide to try it on dirt 2-up that it all gets rather disappointing. While you can add enough rear preload to make it acceptable on road, off road the shock is way off it's optimum rider sag. It doesn't like trail chop - rocks, ruts, roots, etc. It bottoms very easily. You can simply slow down and take things slow and easy, and it will cope.
Funny you said that, went out for an "off road" experience with my riding buddy behind me and as you said it bottomed quiet easily. For now I'll keep the stock suspensions but I'll integrate them to my budget one day.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #35
PatoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
My ex didn't like water very much

PatoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #36
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoM View Post
My ex didn't like water very much

is that why she's your ex?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #37
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueLastima View Post
My past experience with a passenger has been riding with my wife on my sport bikes (GSX-R600, CBR600F2). Its not very comfortable for the driver having the passenger's upper body weight laying on top of you, especially when braking, but its expected on a bike like that. The upside is that she was very secure on the bike. She could sit right up close to me and hold on to me very well...

I've had my '09 F800GS for a few months now, and just took a spin with my wife recently. We both were immediately uncomfortable. I'm 5'10" and she is 5'2", and with the mildly stepped stock seat and us both sitting upright, our full face helmets end up at the same height. I either have to hold my head forward like a turtle reaching out of its shell, or the helmets are constantly banging into each other. That's with her holding on to me, which in my opinion is the only safe way to ride with a passenger unless they have a full backrest and armrests like some of the full dresser touring bikes. The alternative for us was for her to sit back a little further and hold onto the grab rails, which gives her no leverage to hold on, and wouldn't work if I had my side cases on for a little weekend camping. Riding along in a straight line this method seems fine, but if its twisty or I have to make an evasive maneuver for an animal or other obstacle I feel like she'll fall right off.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Thanks.

Having a top case helps here. I have the vario case with padding and really only use it when two up. It keeps the pillion rider from feeling they're going to flip over the back of the bike when accelerating or maneuvering.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #38
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

My wife has said that having even the tent strapped on behind her makes her feel more secure, it's just dragging her old ass onto the bike that gets difficult.

We crossed a river today that we crossed a couple of months back, in full flood. She was terrified and I just went at it without pausing for thought. Turns out, she was right. The causeway had aprons leading down to it, when we crossed it last I was in the water before the apron started. In the centre, the water was up to the bottom edge of the seat. There was a powerful current going.

I have no idea how we made it looking at it today. When I felt the bike starting to go sideways I aimed into the current and gave it more throttle. It must have been so close to disaster. It had to have been a good 20 metres with the full current at seat depth.

Oh well...maybe I do need to listen to her...or buy her a life jacket...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #39
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Funny you said that, went out for an "off road" experience with my riding buddy behind me and as you said it bottomed quiet easily. For now I'll keep the stock suspensions but I'll integrate them to my budget one day.
It's all about the spring rate. 21kg/mm is what I have now. It works. I've beaten the piss out of it and it works fine.

At 0.55kg/mm the front end is terrible. Far too soft.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #40
QueLastima
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 6
Glad to see this thread revived with lots of responses. I haven't seen many comments on general body position for rider and pillion, especially concerning the helmet-to-helmet contact. Snowy - it sounds like you do a lot of off-roading with your wife. Does she hold on around your waist, or to the grab bars? What type of helmet does she wear, and is it ever smacking up against yours? Do you use stock seat (if not - what do you use)? Thanks in advance!!!
QueLastima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
If a 650 twin is more than capable of two up travel why wouldn't the F800GS with more torque & HP be up to the task
Because it weighs more and the wee bit of additional power is at the top of the powerband?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #42
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueLastima View Post
Glad to see this thread revived with lots of responses. I haven't seen many comments on general body position for rider and pillion, especially concerning the helmet-to-helmet contact. Snowy - it sounds like you do a lot of off-roading with your wife. Does she hold on around your waist, or to the grab bars? What type of helmet does she wear, and is it ever smacking up against yours? Do you use stock seat (if not - what do you use)? Thanks in advance!!!
She tends to use the bars from the pannier racks. But her arms cramp from being over tense off road. Then she'll use the belt on my jacket, which is really annoying.

I use an Adventure style helmet with peak, but she has a Shark road helmet, to stop her smacking the back of mine all the time. Our difference in height means that seated her head is directly in line with mine ( I have the low seat so there's a bit of a step up to her) so she tends to sit looking over one shoulder. She only occasionally clashes helmets.

On road I can very easily feel every single time she changes her head from looking over my left, to the right shoulder. She dismissed this when I told her, so I did a demonstration of letting go of the bars and steering with my hips, letting her feel just how little input was needed to change direction.

She is a little more careful now.

She also has an annoying tendency to try and stand up when she sees a hole or a tree branch coming. My helmet videos were full of me swearing at her for doing it. "Sit your fucking ass down and stop shifting around before you kill us".

Unfortunately it takes a fair while to train a pillion for off road riding. She is terrified of water, and I didn't take this seriously enough at first. She'd say something about being scared...I'd say "yeah, yeah, don't worry...SPLASH" Now I have to stop and make a show of checking everything to her satisfaction.

It's all about making sure the pillion is comfortable with things. Team work.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #43
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
My wife gets upset when I try to do the Superman thing I see on the X games when two up.

She hates it if I land a little sideways, too, especially on the long downhill jumps.

And the water crossings too, she's always been afraid of sharks.

Go figure.

But the bike is fine with it.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #44
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Hahaha yeah, I've stood up to tackle rough sections and she shits bricks because there's noone to hang onto.

We've been airborne off a few cattle grids, which is always interesting. It's a good test of how well you packed the bike.

You need to train the pillion on what to do in the event of an emergency:

In the event of an emergency your rider will say something like "Oh shit, shit, crap, oh no..." at which point you will note the exits that are here and here, and make your way off the vehicle as fast as possible. Keep your arms and legs close to your body at all times during the bailout, and land tucked in a ball letting your body armour do it's job.

It is wise to exit to the uphill side, so the bike and rider do not land on you. You should render assistance to the rider as soon as practicable, and not lay down playing possum.

The first time I got into some step rocky climbs I dropped the back wheel in a hole and grounded the bashplate, stalling. The whole show started going backwards dragging the front wheel, which was locked. As the front end unloaded I couldn't touch the ground. I'm yelling "Falling, falling, falling" and she's yelling "What do I do?".

Needless to say the bike landed on top of me, in a deep ditch along the edge of the climb. So it was practically upside down, or at least half way to it, with me still astride it. She managed to land clear after riding the bike down.

Having almost half a tonne of bike, pillion, rider and gear thrown onto your toes on your locked out trick knee on a steep rocky hill is a recipe for disaster. One should prepare for the worst and then practice and hope for the best.

Body armour. Get some. Middle aged women that are short and round will find it impossible to find armour and decent gear at the local bike store. If they stock anything for women it'll be Pink Fox MX gear in 13 year old girl sizes. The same with body armour and boots.

Trust me here, your mid 40s wife will not be impressed when you try to get her to try this stuff on. You may even live long enough to regret it.

Do yourself a favour and go to the local Harley Dealer. They'll have plenty of clothing there that's armoured, durable, semi stylish, and will fit a middle aged woman who has "lived life". She'll look like an "Old Lady" on an Outlaw run, and you'll look like Ewan...or Charlie...depending on how much facial hair you have. But you will both be much happier when the whole show goes tits up in the rocks.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #45
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
But you will both be much happier when she goes tits up in the rocks.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote