Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #61
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Customer service will in many cases depend on your dealer, the good ones will take your problems and fight to solve them for you, the others (apparently like your WP dealer) will let you die a slow death.

I have not even heard of one single shock failure on the 690, but then again it doesn't have a hydraulic preload adjuster and there are plenty of other things that do go wrong.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #62
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Customer service will in many cases depend on your dealer, the good ones will take your problems and fight to solve them for you, the others (apparently like your WP dealer) will let you die a slow death.

I have not even heard of one single shock failure on the 690, but then again it doesn't have a hydraulic preload adjuster and there are plenty of other things that do go wrong.
Exactly. It is just sad from customers point of view, than when the dealers don't do their job like they should (or go down), factory should stand up, but they don't... And in WP's case moving HQ from Holland to Austria seemed to effect dealer network also..

Reason why I bought the WP was actually the service of it - believe it or not! Propably half of the dirt bikes in here (and there is lot of them) are KTM's and that means that every shock service also services WP stuff. Problem is that warranty related things must be done were WP wants them to be done (if they happen to answer the emails).

And yes - there is lot of other things in 690 than the shock which can go wrong! That new motor and light weight is just very tempting combination (SE with 30L fuel tank is way too heavy and it really needs that tank)..

-W- screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 01:10 PM
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #63
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I think I emailed in the middle of their move, they made some comment about that being part of the delay.

The Australian distributor is, I think, just a small suspension shop somewhere. Like most of the dealers here. If they don't smell easy money they just don't reply.

I recently enquired from one of our premier wheel builders about having some wheels built and I got an email back saying no one makes hubs for the F800GS.

So again, back to buying stuff from the US.

Every one here is whining that no one shops locally. Yet I get online and order from the US and they bend over backwards to get the gear here, it's cheaper even with postage, and they back up the product.

There's something to be said for bad economic times.

What model KTM is the rear hub on -W-'s bike from?

I ended up deciding to go with a Showa front end with some extra work one on it. That way I can have commonality of parts between the 3 off road bikes I have. I have started collecting the parts, and when I have it all will do a straight swap.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #64
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
What model KTM is the rear hub on -W-'s bike from?
Ööö..? My rear & front hubs are standard BMW hubs with custom made spokes by Symotic and DID/Excel rims.
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #65
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -W- View Post
Ööö..? My rear & front hubs are standard BMW hubs with custom made spokes by Symotic and DID/Excel rims.
Oh, ok. I thought I saw somewhere that it had the KTM hubs. Might be in the link Lukas put up.

Cheers.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #66
dmaxr1
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I just got an F800GS yesterday! Already it is more comfortable 2-up than my R1. I wear a belt (Oxford) with grab handles so she doesn't need to sit so close but still has something good and sturdy to hold onto.

The only complaint is that the seat does not have a big enough step, she can't see over me. I'm on the hunt for a seat that will get her up/me down so she can see and enjoy the ride.

I'm also trying to find side cases that won't get in her way (legs on pegs without issues), she's only 5'.
dmaxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #67
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Low seat option may work if the difference between you height and hers isn't more that a couple of inches.

My wife comes up to my chin and can't see over my head. She has to sit looking over either shoulder. I have the BMW low seat.

I use soft panniers and try to pack them so she can get on and off, but she doesn't do that gracefully. She's getting old.

Maybe it's time for me to trade?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #68
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxr1 View Post

The only complaint is that the seat does not have a big enough step, she can't see over me. I'm on the hunt for a seat that will get her up/me down so she can see and enjoy the ride.
Get a top box and put a cushion on it.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #69
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Low seat option may work if the difference between you height and hers isn't more that a couple of inches.

My wife comes up to my chin and can't see over my head. She has to sit looking over either shoulder. I have the BMW low seat.

I use soft panniers and try to pack them so she can get on and off, but she doesn't do that gracefully. She's getting old.

Maybe it's time for me to trade?
The bike or the wife?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #70
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I have done many off road miles with my wife on the back.... Bike is awesome, if u got the skills it will go anyplace two up!
xxxshiftxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #71
MD Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I totally agree that it all depends on one's on-road and off-road riding capabilities. If you have it, the F8GS will take you anywhere. Personally I feel that this bike is very good for both single and 2 up riding. Mine's fitted with Zega pro panniers and vario top box with the padded back rest, rear suspension set in the middle, stock low seat. I'm 5'11" and my wife's 5'4". She says it's comfortable for her, not like my KTM 950 ADV with it's narrow seat and it's short pillion footpegs which according to her makes her legs feel cramped. With regards to torque and speed it's more than adequate. We've reached speeds of up to 170km/h on straight highways and I could feel there's more juice left but didn't want to push it, kept thinking of our 2 kids back home. Same thing on the twisties, I felt confident because it'll always keep it's line. And yes, I too wear the Oxford belt with the pillion grab handles on the sides. She says that her arms are in a more relaxed position when she's holding on to them.
IMHO, it's unfair to your pillion rider, your wife especially, if you plan to ride a lot of technical off-road stuff. Otherwise ride it single. My background has been off-road riding since I was a kid but it feels awful when I'm riding at the back of a friend's XR650L going off-road because you have that constant feeling that you're not in control.

Live To Ride, But Ride Safe...Always
MD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote