Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,001
Good Morning!

The sun rises, so we follow suit...

We walk around the campground to warm up...

Teddy Bear Cholla, a.k.a. Jumpin' Cactus

Another Type of Cholla

Heart Shaped Prickly Pear Cactus
Isn't this a great metaphor for love... Green with envy and painful...

We spy these guys looking down at us.

Matt goes bouldering while I prepare breakfast.

Maybe we'll ride out to Fish Creek Hill Overlook after breakfast. It's only a couple miles of dirt.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake
great!

my (almost) 12 year old son wants lights and blinkers on his xr80 to follow me around.

maybe mom will let him ride on the back instead.

Thank you for the inspiration!
Matt would love his own dirt bike (As would I). I've been telling him he needs to ride his bicycle more first.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #18
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Sigh! I feel sick to my stomach seeing these photos...absolutely loved AZ and didn't realize how much till I moved to Oregon! Lived in Chandler for 9 years. Camped at the same place, drove Apache Trail many a time...my son and I hiked to the top of that butte when he was three. Superstition Mts...fabulous area.
Happy for you, but I'm...
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #19
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
Sigh! I feel sick to my stomach seeing these photos...absolutely loved AZ and didn't realize how much till I moved to Oregon! Lived in Chandler for 9 years. Camped at the same place, drove Apache Trail many a time...my son and I hiked to the top of that butte when he was three. Superstition Mts...fabulous area.
Happy for you, but I'm...
Glad I could bring you home for a few minutes. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Matt can't wait to get back on the bike. We'd better break camp.

We continue east from Tortilla Flat. There were a couple water hazards that keep the shiny bikes off this section.

Uh oh! Pavement Ends! What shall we do? It's only 22 miles of dirt to Lake Roosevelt...

dave6253 screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 02:29 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #21
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Fish Creek Hill Overlook

A couple miles of dirt isn't gonna keep us from the overlook. I'm not riding all 22 miles of bone-jarring washboards on this bike with Matt on the back.

There is a paved parking lot at the Fish Creek Hill Overlook. Also there is a short trail out to several different viewing areas.

The most challenging piece of the entire road can be seen here. The road is only wide enough for one vehicle at a time in places. The last time I was on it the surface was rutted and bumpy with some scary dropoffs. If that's not enough the road is heavily traveled by tourists out for the day in rented cars and RVs.

The ridge in the middle of the next photo is missing a tooth. The tooth (massive boulder) is on the ledge below the snaggle-toothed section. It's probably been sitting there for a million years or so.

The Apache Trail can be seen heading east from the overlook. We'll have to come back when I get a real dualsport bike.

The source of the bright green seen on the rocks in this area can be seen growing here.

I zoom in an catch a GS800 rider trying to hide behind a bush. Was this anyone here?

Baby Tarantula? It wasn't very big.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #22
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Backtracking to the West

We turn around and head westbound from the overlook.

This road looks pretty bad, but was in much better shape than the Burr Trail and Valley of the Gods Road that I did last month.

We make it safely back to the Aprilia's natural habitat, Asphalt.

One of two water hazards keeping the pretty bikes out.

Watch for fallen rocks...

Those buildings ahead is the entire town of Tortilla Flat. I expected to see more water running across the road here. We had heavy rains here last week (heavy for Arizona). This trickle of water made Tortilla Flat the turnaround point for Phoenix day riders on their chromed cruisers and pretty sport bikes.

One of these things is not like the other. Actually I was glad to see I wasn't the only one with my son on the back.

The restaurant/giftshop has only decent food. Burgers, Chili, etc. You can sit at the rustic bar on real leather saddles or wooden stools carved to look like a horses ass. People actually staple perfectly good dollars to the wall. That must've been an expensive fire when this place burnt 21 years ago. You could have a pretty good time in a strip club with the wallpaper here. We decided to wait for lunch until back in town.

dave6253 screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 09:25 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #23
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Talking Canyon Lake - Home

From Tortilla Flat we race down to Canyon Lake.

There are a couple one lane bridges that are fun.

This bridge has a see-through metal grate road surface.

We stop to check out the cool bridge. There's something neat about a lake in the middle of the desert.

Matt was curious about the metal grate.

We stopped in Apache Junction for lunch. We called mom to check in for the first time since we left (no cell signal). She was a little relieved to hear from us. We then blasted home on the freeway.

A proud rider completes his first two day motorcycle trip.

The day 2 totals.

That's all folks. Thanks for following along. I realize this wasn't the most adventurous RR... For us adults anyway.

See you next time. Until then check out my other RR's if you haven't done so already.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
...my son and I hiked to the top of that butte when he was three. Superstition Mts...fabulous area.
pdedse,

Now you have me curious. Is there a trail to the top of that butte, or did you find your own path? Was it a tough climb? Did your 3 year old hike it himself or did you carry him? My wife is an avid hiker, so the rest of the family often gets dragged along...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #25
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Dave - Great RR. Thanks. I lived in in North Scottsdale during the 80's. I kept a boat at Canyon Lake. The Apache Trail is one of my all time favorite roads. We've been back a few times even.

In 2003 I went with my son to check out UofA in Tucson because that's where he planned to attend. Since we were there, we stopped off at ASU for a tour before heading to Tucson. Tempe impressed him. A Starbucks on every corner ...On the other hand, Tucson seemed a little lacking so next day we went back to ASU for another look. On the way, I took him up the Trail to the lake and rented a tin boat to putt up the river to the dam. It was the most spectacular scenery he's ever seen. You should try it sometime.

Anyways, we went back to ASU and that was it. Mill Street and Tortilla Flat.

He graduates next week and I'll be flying in to help him celebrate. He's got a couple motorcycles so we'll prolly take a last run up the Trail.

Thanks for the pics.

PS: You really should get a big D/S. I have an Italian roadster too, but the only thing I ride these days is my KTM twin. There are hundreds of miles of great dirt roads all through your part of he world. Some of the greatest motorcycle exploring anywhere. A KTM adv or a GS800 is perfect for it.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #26
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer: 1,016
Thumb Boys will be boys

Thanks for the RR. I'm hoping to take a mid-winter break and head down that way. It's great to tour with your kid. I took my (then) eleven year old to Yellowstone this summer on my 950 Adventure. Great way to tour. After two weeks he wasn't ready to go home. Glad to see your kid properly geared up.
Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #27
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Dave - Great RR. Thanks. I lived in in North Scottsdale during the 80's. I kept a boat at Canyon Lake. The Apache Trail is one of my all time favorite roads. We've been back a few times even.

In 2003 I went with my son to check out UofA in Tucson because that's where he planned to attend. Since we were there, we stopped off at ASU for a tour before heading to Tucson. Tempe impressed him. A Starbucks on every corner ...On the other hand, Tucson seemed a little lacking so next day we went back to ASU for another look. On the way, I took him up the Trail to the lake and rented a tin boat to putt up the river to the dam. It was the most spectacular scenery he's ever seen. You should try it sometime.

Anyways, we went back to ASU and that was it. Mill Street and Tortilla Flat.

He graduates next week and I'll be flying in to help him celebrate. He's got a couple motorcycles so we'll prolly take a last run up the Trail.

Thanks for the pics.

PS: You really should get a big D/S. I have an Italian roadster too, but the only thing I ride these days is my KTM twin. There are hundreds of miles of great dirt roads all through your part of he world. Some of the greatest motorcycle exploring anywhere. A KTM adv or a GS800 is perfect for it.
Pantah,

We saw a kayak out on the lake enjoying the light winter traffic on the lake. Matt seemed pretty interested in that. I've been thinking of getting a kayak for about 20 years to get out on the lakes around here.

I'm definitely planning to get a big DS soon. Probably this spring or summer.

Congratulations on your son's graduation.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #28
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf11
Thanks for the RR. I'm hoping to take a mid-winter break and head down that way. It's great to tour with your kid. I took my (then) eleven year old to Yellowstone this summer on my 950 Adventure. Great way to tour. After two weeks he wasn't ready to go home. Glad to see your kid properly geared up.
Graywolf11,

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping my son or daughter will also want to do a long tour with me someday.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #29
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
Thumb

Great ride report and pictures. Good Karma to you for being a great dad. I make that ride from home(about 20 miles west of Tucson) to Apache Lake and back about twice a year. Great day ride. As you know the ride from Fishkill Hill to Apache is outstanding. I do it during the week and miss most of the tourista traffic. Thanks again. Racer 07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Wow great report, I enjoyed it!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote