Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #211
roshan2044
RosTourer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAmsterdam View Post
thats what he already said "NS"

NS is a bit expensive I feel, spending abt 50 euros for a round trip seems too much. But then again , if nothing turns out eventually , that is the best option and I do know abt those long yellow things that run in Netherlands :P

Car pooling is a option , but any trusted website ?

NOT ANY MORE
Ninja300 / Bajaj Pulsar220 / HeroHonda Karizma (CRF230)/ Bajaj Pulsar 150

roshan2044 screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 02:55 PM
roshan2044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #212
mlaser59
n00b

Oddometer: 1
BMW Rental In Holland

Marrying a Dutch woman in Holland on September 1st, 2012. Looking for a place to rent an older bmw with a sidecar for the pre/post wedding transportation for the bride and groom. I know it is a long shot but thought I would post. Stranger things have happened.

Mark
Ft Collins Colorado
USA
mlaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #213
Rose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Perhaps you can ask here: http://www.bmwgsclub.nl/forum/
It's quite a large club and I know there's a few sidecars as well.
You could post your request under "Algemeen" (general) or "Vraag&Aanbod" (marketpace)
Posting up in English is no problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #214
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaser59 View Post
Marrying a Dutch woman in Holland on September 1st, 2012. Looking for a place to rent an older bmw with a sidecar for the pre/post wedding transportation for the bride and groom. I know it is a long shot but thought I would post. Stranger things have happened.

Mark
Ft Collins Colorado
USA
Congratulations, mate! How's your Dutch?

Enjoy September 1st, and in Dutch... Alvast van harte gefeliciteerd met het voorgenomen huwelijk!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #215
Super Sherpa
'n00b, yup I'm keeping it

Oddometer: 304
Immigration

My young life has taken a very different and incredible course. In February I will be moving to the Netherlands to purse happiness with my Dutch love, whom I met over here while she was attending an exchange program. A truly incredible course of events indeed

It is time for me to begin the process of gathering information to immigrate, as well as learning your language as best as I can. I figured I would consult the community who calls Holland their home

Currently, my plan is to fly over in December for the holiday, meet friends and family, learn my way around Roermond where I will be residing, and most importantly speak to immigration officials to find what documentation is required as well as what immigration permits will be required.

I will return to the US in the first part of January to take care of all processes required here as well as some home business. In the last part of February, I will make use of a one way ticket to the Netherlands to begin this adventure called life .

So now the questions, if you please. I'm wondering of any immigration knowledge that will prove helpful to me. Further, any advise on finding employment as an immigrant, as well as what permits will apply to me. I am natively a Canadian citizen, and I do believe 'using' that citizenship will prove moreso beneficial to me. My intentions are to work until the fall, then to begin attending college. However my plans are flexible, and working for a year or more before pursuing higher education is always an option.

I also intent to become a Dutch citizen, which is where learning the language becomes very important. Plus useful, because I will indeed be living in a Dutch speaking country . I'm wondering of any suggestions of methods I can use to learn Dutch before I make the move. Best learning material?

So yes, big plans. Any advise is appreciated

"You can never have too much fuel, unless you're on fire."
2000 Super Sherpa
2007 DR 650SE
Super Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #216
Snarfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
What I couldn't figure out in your writing above is if you do have already been in the immigration part of if you do need to start it ?

If you need to start the process of immigration then, as far as I know, you need to wait in your country till the immigration process is done and you have a permit to stay here. You are not allowed to wait here while the process is still going on.
This was the way a couple years ago, so you might write immigration service to ask before buying that one way ticket.
A one way ticket in February might be a little premature.
Snarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #217
Super Sherpa
'n00b, yup I'm keeping it

Oddometer: 304
No, I have not yet began. But from what I can interpret one is allowed to stay in the country for a period no longer that three months (as the common tourist is allowed). Any longer and one requires either a visa or residency permit.

It is recommended, once again from what I can interpret, that if one intends to immigrate they approach and register with immigration services within 8 days of their arrival. I will be sure to look much deeper into this issue.

Thank you very much for your input.

"You can never have too much fuel, unless you're on fire."
2000 Super Sherpa
2007 DR 650SE
Super Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #218
silly torque
kiwi in NL

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sherpa View Post
My young life has taken a very different and incredible course. In February I will be moving to the Netherlands to purse happiness with my Dutch love, whom I met over here while she was attending an exchange program. A truly incredible course of events indeed ............................................. .................................................. ...
Hi Super Sherpa,

I made the same move as you 5 years ago, send me your email and/or skype name and i can answer anything you need to know.

As mentioned above, I think you find you'll be needing to sort a few ducks into a row before winging it out here. HOWEVER.......
I didn't. I was 27 at the time so I was able to get a working Holiday Visa for a year. It's a visa very easy to get as long as you are young enough. You will want to arragne this through the Dutch Embassy in Canada first.
I came over on the working Holiday visa as a way of coming over and "giving it a go" with both the Netherlands and my nederlandse meisje.....
After things went well ( we are now married with a young un' - so yeah it went ok ) My GF sponsored me under a relationship status - your girl will need to meet finacial requirements to support you; She will be legally and finacailly responsible for you. That was a one year visa
We then applied for a 5 year visa under the same conditions as the above. After 3 years of living with her you will be able to apply for citizenship. Keep in mind that they are currently trying to push a bill through the parliment that wil mean you must give up your canuk book to get a dutch one.
The immigration department - Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst (IND) will be one to look at http://english.ind.nl/ They will intorducee you to the insanely huge world of dutch paperwork and bureaucracy.
One thing that triped me up - You will be told that you need to do a inburgeringscursus to become a cloggie..... a dutch culture course in dutch. What i wasn't told is that if you meet a minimum level of Dutch language ( B1 i think - not difficult). This is much more usefull than pulling your teeth for a year doing the inburgerings course. ( course content is 90 % duh - your lass will fill you in on the culture stuff)
You say you want to study here.... most univercities do plenty of courses in english and provide dutch courses....... otherwise you can go to a ROC ( type of community collage) - subsidised by the Gemeente ( town hall), but this will be for people of quite low education levels ( people on my course were SLOW) so the univercity would be the way to go if you can

Good luck

Silly torque
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #219
Snarfy
Adventurer

Register with immigration services is something you need to do anyway !
They give you a paper that you need to give at the bordercheck when leaving the country.
So register when you are here for vacation !

Starting the immigration process is, from what i can remember from years ago, something you both need to do from your own country. You can't wait here for the outcome.
I guess it is to not have people here staying and "disappearing" when the outcome is negative.

Have your girlfriend call the IND for information and/or write them an email yourself.

Again, my knowledge is a couple of years old so I it could be changed in the meantime but I think it might only be more difficult instead of easier.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #220
CopperLioness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hi Super Sherpa -

Welcome! I'm also Canadian and I did this 5 years ago as well for my Dutch love (and have become Dutch as well), and silly torque has outlined the process correctly. You actually have to apply at the gemeente within a few days of arriving (on a tourist visa), you can't do it from your home country. There is a great deal if paperwork for your girlfriend and she will need to have a relatively good job, if you can get the working holiday visa I would suggest that. The disadvantage of the working holiday visa is you don't get started on the inburgering process and you're not a resident when it comes to going to school if you're planning on enrolling at university. Two other things to think about - you need to get certain documents like your birth certificate legalized by sending it of to a government authority, so get that done before you come - and you'll need to redo both car and motorcycle licenses to drive/ride after 6 months (unless your drivers license is from Quebec and then you can exchange it but only for the car license). Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Snarfy, I don't know where you're from originally, but if it's somewhere you need to apply for a tourist visa to visit the Netherlands from (ie, not the US, Canada, Australia, NZ etc), there's a different procedure and a part of the process that needs to be done in your home country before you can come.

2002 BMW F650CS
CopperLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #221
Snarfy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperLioness View Post
Snarfy, I don't know where you're from originally, but if it's somewhere you need to apply for a tourist visa to visit the Netherlands from (ie, not the US, Canada, Australia, NZ etc), there's a different procedure and a part of the process that needs to be done in your home country before you can come.
This said it all. Our immigration process was done some 12-13 years ago and there was a tourist visa involved.

Forget all I said in the previous posts. My knowledge of the whole immigration process is more of visiting and staying from countries that do need visa's to come here.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #222
Wernerbros
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Check-in

Signing in from The Hague.
Enjoying international rally-raid riding on a BMW, and hoping to do some motorcycle traveling in the future.
Wernerbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #223
Wolsly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hi,

Wolsly signing in from Amsterdam.
I have been on ADV for a while and yet never found/ came across this thread before....
Beter late then never.

Here is thread about my upcoming trip:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786427

Cheers
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #224
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolsly View Post
Hi,

Wolsly signing in from Amsterdam.
I have been on ADV for a while and yet never found/ came across this thread before....
Beter late then never.

Here is thread about my upcoming trip:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786427

Cheers
Hi there,

Welcome here. Just subscribed to your travel topic above!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #225
Wolsly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
THX for the support Two Plugs

As time is the quickest of all travelers the last few mounts have flown by like crazy and as my departure is getting closer the nerve’s are starting to set in……
Then again reading some of the RR's here calms me down and only make me wish it was September.
Wolsly