Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
dlmarquez OP
dlm

Oddometer: 79
SR400 vs Moto Guzzi V7? old guys/gals only

OK, I have posted a number of times on the V7 threads and on the SR 400 threads
now its getting close to time to make a decision...
I'd appreciate any thoughts from the other "seasoned riders" (read that as over 60) on the pros/cons of one vs the other.
obviously both are beautifully done semi-retro bikes. one has shaft/v twin, the other is a kicker, very light and a couple grand cheaper.
this is a bike for me to ride into the sunset, almost entirely solo riding, I'll be doing most of my own service and I anticipate around 8-10k miles a year.
I'll be riding in the rain (I live in the PNW) and I will mostly be avoiding the slab in favor of secondary roads and hopefully lots of jeep trails and unpaved mixed surface riding.
let me hear your thoughts brother and sisters!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 5,696
Damn, i'm too young to leave my opinion here.

Foiled again!
Naturally, the common people don't want war; ... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country - Hermann Goring
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,021
Edited because I didn't read the entire post and missed the off-road portion.

Jimmy the Heater screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 02:38 PM Reason: reading comprehenshun are good...
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
I love the look of that Guzzi, (& the Yammie as well) but I wonder if a shaftie is the right tool for "off road" excursions, especially if you plan to get far from civilization. I've never owned either bike, but in very general terms, just think what the terms " Japanese reliability" & "Italian reliability" bring to mind. As often mentioned, Guzzi dealerships are few & far between & even if you should have one right next door, their parts inventory for your model probably stops at the oil filter. Both bikes appeal to me, (I'm a geezer too) but I can't help but have some reservations about that sweet Italian. I want to spend my golden years riding rather than wrenching.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,021
Oh my...My bad. I completely missed the jeep trail and unpaved mixed surface riding.

In that case I would pick the SR400 because it can be turned into a heck of a Scrambler. No way would I take a Guzzi like the V7 off road. Way too pretty for that.

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I love the look of that Guzzi, (& the Yammie as well) but I wonder if a shaftie is the right tool for "off road" excursions, especially if you plan to get far from civilization. I've never owned either bike, but in very general terms, just think what the terms " Japanese reliability" & "Italian reliability" bring to mind. As often mentioned, Guzzi dealerships are few & far between & even if you should have one right next door, their parts inventory for your model probably stops at the oil filter. Both bikes appeal to me, (I'm a geezer too) but I can't help but have some reservations about that sweet Italian. I want to spend my golden years riding rather than wrenching.
I concur.

JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Rear drum brake.... Ya gotta be kindling, not for me. This is the 21st century, yeh, I know it's retro, but it's also a dangerous design. It may play well in the third world but not here.

Paul
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 319
I am a young and spritely 50, so I will just watch and learn
Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Oh my...My bad. I completely missed the jeep trail and unpaved mixed surface riding.

In that case I would pick the SR400 because it can be turned into a heck of a Scrambler. No way would I take a Guzzi like the V7 off road. Way too pretty for that.

Blah, Blah....

And a resourceful Guzzisti can make a V7 Stone into this:

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,450
I think the weights are close.
I think the V7 is a smaller size bike, so if you are a larger person, the sr400 might fit better.

Working on both will be easy, the sr400 a bit easier to pull the motor and other serious work (no driveshaft and so on).
Both should be trouble free.

I would love to own both bikes, but think I would like the sr400 better, lower price, slightly larger size bike, easy to change sprockets (final drive ratio's).

The V7 will be better at speed on the interstate.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think the V7 is a smaller size bike, so if you are a larger person, the sr400 might fit better.
From Cycleworld:

SR400
WEIGHT 384 lb.
SEAT HEIGHT 30.9 in.
WHEELBASE 55.5 in.
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 3.2 gal.

V7 Stone
weight 409 lbs
seat height 31.4"
wheelbase 56.6"
Fuel tank capacity 5.8 gal.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Rear drum brake.... Ya gotta be kindling, not for me. This is the 21st century, yeh, I know it's retro, but it's also a dangerous design. It may play well in the third world but not here.

Paul
Really?? My r100gs. With a drum brake stops just fine, and it's got close to 100pounds more and twice the power of the SR.

Or there's the millions and millions of cars that still use drum brakes.

Assuming its well maintained there is nothing wrong with a drum rear brake. And nowhere near dangerous.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #13
Bar None
IBM Retired

Oddometer: 4,677
I'm a old guy but have never ridden either one so I can't say but it would be a tough decision to pick one over the other. I always say you have to live with a bike a while to decide if it is a keeper.
Which ever one that floats your boat? Or buy both.
Oh, rear drum brake is fine, the front does almost all the stopping anyway.
2013 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #14
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,806
I lack just a few years to 60, (I'm 52) but my knees give trouble sometimes when I kick my XR200 or Doug's KLR250. Are your knees up to a full time kicker? Those are sure some nice bikes you've picked, please keep us posted.

Sarah
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #15
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Paul
Dangerous design? You must be a total beginner without a clue how to use brakes. All 6 of my bikes have rear drums, they work perfectly. I've ridden lots of bikes with front drums as well, only one, a 1966 British bike, was marginal in the braking department, but I certainly wouldn't call it unsafe. It was one of the original cafe racers.

As for the SR400 or the Guzzi V7, I don't see any comparison. The Guzzi costs a LOT more than the SR, and has WAY more displacement. I love the SR, but if I could easily afford the Guzzi, I wouldn't even have to think about it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote