User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #1
dmorris29 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Bikes with lower C of G

I'm in the hunt for a new (to me) ride and am particularly interested in something lighter and less top-heavy. Current ride is a BMW R1200R - a great motorcycle, but kind of a handful for me at times. I'm getting older and not as strong as I used to be.

I've been focusing on the ADV-like bikes such as BMW's F700GS and Honda's NC700X. One feature that attracts me to those two bikes is the gas tank under the seat that contributes to a less top-heavy feel. I'm haven't found any other candidates with this feature. Are there other bikes with under-the-seat fuel tanks?

Any recommendations for other bikes with a lower center of gravity? I'm looking for an all-rounder that is ok on the highway, around town, or on gravel and dirt back roads. Not an off-roader.
dmorris29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #2
ctromley
n00b

Oddometer: 2
The choice few (or none except me?) will guide you to is the Suzuki DL-650. If you're riding mostly on-road and like the ADV look, it's probably one of the best all-around bikes out there.

It's certainly not a high-performance bike, but also not as bland and appliance-like as many Hondas are. If it's a little too tame for you, the 2015 Triumph Tiger 800s just got a nice freshening-up and are worth a look.

As for cg, I've never heard complaints about the DL. Maybe the occasional mention about the Tiger.

If you're not a hot-dog, either of these could easily be your one-and-only-bike-forever. If you are a hot-dog, you can use either one to embarrass those with bigger, badder bikes.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #3
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Goldwing.

Seriously, flat six engine, under seat fuel tank and a reverse gear.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #4
StuBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
How committed are you to the Adventure look?

I hate to say so in public, but the quest for low cg and low seat height eventually led me to H-D after Honda, Triumph, and BMW. I look stupid on it, what with the Roadcrafter and everything, but it's unbelievably easy to manipulate in the parking lot and comfy on the road.
StuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #5
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,324
In the class you mention the NC700X has the lowest CG and is very easy to ride. Compared to the Wee, Versys, F700 you will know this as soon as you push it off the side stand. If the low redline and lower output doesn't put you off the NC's motor has a smooth torquey character I found more pleasant than the other twins in the group.

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #6
407Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorris29 View Post
Are there other bikes with under-the-seat fuel tanks?

Aprilia Mana GT has an under seat fuel cell.

http://www.apriliausa.com/motorcycle...50-gt-abs.html

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #7
EddyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Reviews say that CB500x feels way lighter than NC.
EddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #8
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 695
the mana isn't actually a very balanced bike -- despite the underseat gas tank, the engine is fairly high and forward, and it's almost 550 lbs. wet.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #9
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Yamaha FJ-09 is due out in November which is ending soon of course. I recommend getting a test ride in, right after riding the NC700X. For some of us, the NC700X will be enough, and good for the budget. Others will ante up for the more exciting FJ-09.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #10
kickstandsup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler. Both low cg, low seats and 500lbs wet. Look good too...
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #11
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
I'm in the hunt for a new (to me) ride and am particularly interested in something lighter and less top-heavy. Current ride is a BMW R1200R - a great motorcycle, but kind of a handful for me at times. I'm getting older and not as strong as I used to be.
The BMW R1200R with flat-twin engine, road bike not ADV ride height & lack of fairings has one of the lowest CofG around. Its also not particularly heavy either. If you are struggling with the R1200R then what you need is a much smaller bike.

Quote:
I've been focusing on the ADV-like bikes such as BMW's F700GS and Honda's NC700X. One feature that attracts me to those two bikes is the gas tank under the seat that contributes to a less top-heavy feel. I'm haven't found any other candidates with this feature. Are there other bikes with under-the-seat fuel tanks?
If your issue is as you describe then ADV style bikes with longer travel suspension & raised the CofG is not the way to go. Replace the BMW F700 GS with the F800R ( which can come with an accessory lower seat) & the Honda NC700X with the stock NC700 or even that lo-rider NC700 you mob get in the states.

Quote:
Any recommendations for other bikes with a lower center of gravity? I'm looking for an all-rounder that is ok on the highway, around town, or on gravel and dirt back roads. Not an off-roader.
Ditching the R1200R for a ADV bike like a WeeStrom that weighs barely less & has a higher CofG seems misguided. Can I suggest that a day on your R1200R with an advanced riding instructor who may well be able to, with fresh eyes on your problems, offer some strategies to help.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #12
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Consider taking an FZ07 out on a test ride. Great all rounder aside from the weather protection (but you can put a screen on it), and it's less than 400lbs wet, with all the weight down low.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #13
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 457
Well the Kawasaki Concours I ride has GOT to be the most top-heavy bike ever built. Even the FJR feels light and nimble in comparison.

Of course, at speed, top heavy means greater stability but in low speed turns it definitely wants to fall over.
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #14
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post

If your issue is as you describe then ADV style bikes with longer travel suspension & raised the CofG is not the way to go. Replace the BMW F700 GS with the F800R ( which can come with an accessory lower seat) & the Honda NC700X with the stock NC700 or even that lo-rider NC700 you mob get in the states.

The US doesn't get the NC700S unfortunately.

I traded in my F800ST that had nearly identical ergos to the R model for an NC700X, and the difference in feel between the F800 and the NCX, even with the NC's taller suspension, was like night and day. The F800 did not feel at all like it had a low COG, whereas the Honda "feels" markedly lighter.

The full of fuel curb weights between the two are exactly the same (230 kg/507 lbs each) as I had them configured, with saddle bags, engine guards, farkles etc., etc., coincidently enough!

Myself, I could never give up the massive storage that the trunk offers on the NCX, for whatever the name is (CTX?) of the weird low slung cruiser-like variant.

Raising the NCX's forks 1" in the triples, and adding a set of lowering links is apparently quite popular amongst many NC owners. Simple and very cheap to do.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #15
kickstandsup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
If you go with a Scrambler, you get a low cg AND your own team of Raptors

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/chr...70134/+pgeorge

Beat that!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote