User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #91
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,602
Ft. Smith, AR to Savannah, Ga...

It sure felt like 1000 miles. Good times.

[IMG]
From HNBAS tour 2008 Oregon
[/IMG]

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #92
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
rumor or fact?

I've heard the shop rate to change the plugs and adjust the valves is something like eight hours labor......??? Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #93
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
The C-14 and The Bandit S. The Bandit S is the wifes bike. I had a zx 10 before the concours, but the ZX10 gave up the gost at about 113,000 miles.

The shore of Lake Superiour

Nothing like a brisk ride, only a couple hundred miles to go. Temp...19 degrees. Wipe the frost off and ride. Just remember the roads are slick until the sun comes out.

I understand the feeling of a thousand mile ride. I did an Iron butt back in May. We circled Lake Michigan. 1033 miles in about 17 hours of riding. Geoff my number one clown on a Vulcan 900 went with me. Here is Geoff crossing the Big Mac on our way back down state.

How about some shopping riding in early Dec. No snow yet, but we put on 300 plus miles that day and I don't think it got above freezing.

wibornz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #94
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Looks good in black! The only negative I hear is they are a bit hot in the summer and Kawa still has more warranty issues than other Jap makers.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #95
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Looks good in black! The only negative I hear is they are a bit hot in the summer and Kawa still has more warranty issues than other Jap makers.

I'm ATGATT which insulates me from any heat. The once or twice I rode without my 'stich pants, the heat was just a tick more than I used to get from my Bandit 1200s.

As far as warranty issues..I don't see much popping up over on concours.org...it comes standard with 3yr/UNLIMITED mileage which is pretty unbelievable.

My MPG to date (11 months, 22,000 miles) is 44.9.

[IMG]
From Concours photos
[/IMG]

And since this is ADVRider...a "bacon" photo..

[IMG]
From Concours photos
[/IMG]

YMMV.

Things I've ate/cooked.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #96
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,161
I'd love to see a good comparo vs. an RT.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #97
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
I can do that!

Rode a R1200RT a few times for about 100 miles total.

Vs. a Concours14...

The RT: Great fit/finish, lots of high tech stuff, smooth ride (with the ESP), engine was surprisingly powerful. For me (6'1", 200lbs), the ergos were great as delivered. Comfortable seat (in highest position). Nicely designed stock windscreen. But, the price..OUCH!

The C14: Also nicely finished, fantastic engine (stock)...unbelievably powerful when liberated (flies out, remapped FI), ergos...I added 1.5" bar risers and a beaded seat (WalMart) for the LD rides (>300 miles). FI was flawless. Stock windscreen is suited for someone shorter than 6'1". OTD with ABS was 13,799 from Hilton Head Motorsports.

To the C14, I've added: Cee Bailey (CB) Euro Cut windscreen, Kevins Bar Risers, CB headlight protectors, Murphs Fenda Extenda, Symtec Heated Grip Elements with Galindo Superbike Grips, Garmin 2610 Streetpilot (getfeetwet.com), WalMart beaded seat cover, Givi 460L, Premier Cycle Accessories rear rack with Givi mount kit, removed restrictive butterfly valves, remapped FI with Dynojet PCIII with a custom map from FuelMoto, AreaP carbon fiber slipon, and a hookup for my 10yr old Unobtanium Aerostich electric vest.

For me, my C14 is a perfect bike.

YMMV.

Things I've ate/cooked.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #98
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
I rode my R1200RT on our Kootenay ride this summer and traded for a day with a friend on her C14. First impression is the C14 is hot, especially compared to the RT which gives off zero heat. It was a 100+ day and I was keeping my right leg away from the fairing due to the heat. Now to be fair, I forgot my chaps at home which I normally wear all the time and heat isn't usually an issue, but I was just wearing my draggin jeans and it was uncomfortably hot.

I was taking it easy, mainly because I didn't want to bin the C14. I found the C14 sort of heavy steering, hard to describe and the feeling was going away near the end of the day so it may have just been getting used to the new bike. We were riding in a group so I wasn't as free to put the bike through it's paces like I normally would on a "demo" ride. Power is immediate and everywhere, obviously and what kind of surprised me was how easy it was to ride, it wasn't scary fast. I only took it up over 6000rpm a few times before I had to back off, we were on some fairly tight twistie unfamiliar roads, so again not the best place for me to see what the bike could do. I wasn't sold on it and definitely came away with the feeling that I don't really see owning one in my future.

I did sell my RT this summer right after we got back from that trip and bought a Honda CBF1000 to replace it. The CBF has similar power characteristics as the C14, it has power everywhere and shifting is optional, but just obviously not in as big of doses as the C14. I'm a naked bike guy at heart, the RT was actually my wife's bike that we ended up with sitting in the garage after she bought her Ninja and I rode for 33,000kms. I was just telling a friend who rides a ZX14, it's his wife who owns the C14, that Kawi needs to come out with a naked 14 like Suzuki did with the B-King, but just make it a basic naked bike and not some space age looking weird bike. After all, that's what the ZX14 and C14 are all about is the motor, show that baby off!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #99
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
...snipped... that's what the ZX14 and C14 are all about is the motor, show that baby off!
Ride a C14 with the flies out and remapped FI. Whoa, Nellie. Dyno's at 150rwhp and 99ft-lb torque.

The flies out/FI mod adds 35 hp on the bottom end and accentuates the top end rush (gotta give it WOT at 8k rpm). Keep in mind it has variable valve timing cued for a soft bottom end and a hard hitting top end with ram air.

Too bad no mag has reviewed the C14 "uncorked".

YMMV.

Things I've ate/cooked.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #100
johnnyc14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205

Bookworm I never brought up race until you spouted off you were king of C14 land. Numbers mean nothing and I will race you on anything I have, I like racing fools that live by numbers & glossy magazines over the commode.

B1250
GSX-R1000
GSX-R600
or
BKing

or should I just bring my dirtbike

How about Barber Motorsports March '09 with NESBA but of course you will have to get in "A" group (that might take you a year or two but I'm willing to wait) 1st since they will not let me ride down in beginner.

your turn I'm all

Last edited by RoyQ : Yesterday at 11:49 AM.

RoyQ

Geeez Roy, how does that swollen head of yours fit through the gate a Barber?

johnnyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #101
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,171
I went to the IMS show in Seattle today.

I found myself hanging around the Kawasaki displays more than any other. I actualy was talking up the C14 to folks that came by and sat on the two they had there.

One guy said "You should be getting paid."

Funny.

I was also looking at the Buells, and some sales guy came up, and was talking to me about one I happened to be looking at. "Oh, it's got this and this, and that and that.. What kind of bike are you riding now?"

"Connie."

He walked off without saying another word. Obviously he knew the Connie was a superior bike, and there wasn't much point in bragging about an inferior one.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #102
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Here's one from today.... gotta say she's rock steady with 50mph gusting winds, had to find a sheltered area to enjoy a cig... still shining after 15 months!!!

HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #103
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Geeez Roy, how does that swollen head of yours fit through the gate a Barber?
it fits through the gate with ease

and you enjoy your view from the hill sides I suppose

BTW that is me on the bike in 2nd its a slow 600

you guys crack me up

my apology to the guy who started the thread.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #104
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibornz
You missed the joke. Apparently so did the real racer RoyQ.
keep your day job comedy is not what you do best
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #105
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Second Request........

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
I've heard the shop rate to change the plugs and adjust the valves is something like eight hours labor......??? Bruce
Come on, one of you'z guy'z has to have put enough mile on one of these 14's to require plugs and a valve adjustment........what's the dealer price of these services! Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote