Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #1261
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponies ate my Bagel View Post
They're all out of stock. I'm waffling pretty hard on a corbin seat. It would be a good sensible upgrade, but my budget is very tight. Is it seriously worth it to shell out $500(used) for the Corbin?
Don't buy the Corbin right before the trip.

I HATED mine.

I would have been PISSED to spend $500+ on one to HATE it 50 miles from the house on a long trip.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #1262
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I'd also be leery of putting a backrest on the stock rack. It's such a flimsy piece. I know the rack rails are plastic as well so maybe it's stronger than it looks.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #1263
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I'd also be leery of putting a backrest on the stock rack. It's such a flimsy piece. I know the rack rails are plastic as well so maybe it's stronger than it looks.
The seat will be the only thing on it, I'll advise my wife not to lean back to hard. She asked about grab rails, can she hold the pannier handles while we're moving to stretch her arms/shoulders or is that a bad idea?
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #1264
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Nope...the bag handles are folded down flush to lock the bag on the bike. She can hold onto the grab rails easily though.
IBA #33260
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #1265
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oh, if you hit rain she should think about not holding onto the grab rails since it seams the water shoots up onto them from the rear tire.
IBA #33260
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #1266
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,240
Quote:
They're all out of stock. I'm waffling pretty hard on a corbin seat. It would be a good sensible upgrade, but my budget is very tight. Is it seriously worth it to shell out $500(used) for the Corbin? My wifes comfort is a top priority, but I'm close enough I run the risk of not being able to afford the trip itself with that expense. Nothing about this trip is within my comfort zone, the bike is actually a lesser concern than a lot of other issues.
Ride it with the stock seat first. I put 15k on the stock seat, including a couple iron butt rides, it wasn't the end if the world. A buddy of mine, with an 09, prefers his stock seat to my sergeant. I rode a Corbin seated one and hated it. I have had several and have a Corbin in my drz but the one they made for the Connie is just too hard, imho. But, every butt is different, as you know.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #1267
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
The side rails are medal, my back rest mounts to them and I'm pretty sure i could pick the bike up by the back rest. It's very sturdy. My wife said with the bags on she stayed dryer than with them off, for whatever that opinion is worth to you.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #1268
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Nope, they are painted plastic. At least every C14 I've been around have been.
IBA #33260
Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #1269
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,577
Quote:
The seat will be the only thing on it, I'll advise my wife not to lean back to hard. She asked about grab rails, can she hold the pannier handles while we're moving to stretch her arms/shoulders or is that a bad idea?

The grab rails are pretty stout just inboard of the saddle bags, look at a few photos and you can see them better.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #1270
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Ponies, you got this ride down pat. Missus Sweetwater is high-azz-maintenance but she rides pillion on the C14 no problems, stock seat, grab rails, and this coming from two GS used for many tours.

Now, I totally agree the passenger pegs leave a bit to be desired and the bazooka pipe is hot. Still, no big complaints.

Deep breath, plan your ride, ride your plan, bump all the bull. Most of my short rides are solo, but most long rides are two-up. We get a lot of solitude together on the bike (strange, right?) and we get a chance to work thru lots of issues: weather, routing, camping, rest, et cetera. The Connie is a good bike to experience this type of ride...have fun, be safe, enjoy
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #1271
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
ponies, you got this ride down pat. Missus sweetwater is high-azz-maintenance but she rides pillion on the c14 no problems, stock seat, grab rails, and this coming from two gs used for many tours.

Now, i totally agree the passenger pegs leave a bit to be desired and the bazooka pipe is hot. Still, no big complaints.

Deep breath, plan your ride, ride your plan, bump all the bull. Most of my short rides are solo, but most long rides are two-up. We get a lot of solitude together on the bike (strange, right?) and we get a chance to work thru lots of issues: Weather, routing, camping, rest, et cetera. The connie is a good bike to experience this type of ride...have fun, be safe, enjoy
+1
Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #1272
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
If you guys want some more info about this trip, check out the wheelnerds podcast episode 81. I wrote them a letter about my upcoming trip and they read it on the air. It's in the last 10 minutes of the show (I'm Nick) and the comedic value is through the roof. It's really worth checking out, if you're into motorcycles at all it's a great podcast.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #1273
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139

Love those guys.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #1274
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 226
Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the tire pressure monitoring system without removing the sender units from the rims?

I have low batteries in them and want to see my other instrumentation screens instead of a flashing picture and low battery screen. I plan on modifying them for replaceable batteries in the future, but just want to disable it for now.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #1275
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Nope....other than canceling the message there is nothing you can do. Oh, never cancel the message at night because the orange warning lamp will blind you.

I have new batteries on order right now as a matter of fact. They should be here Friday.
IBA #33260