Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #151
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
And yeah, you could put WP or Cogent Dynamics or Ohlins shocks on any bike and it would make it ride top notch. Those kinds of shocks would make ANY bike better. But in my opinion, my stock 800GS rides light years better than my stock KLR's ever did. On and off road.
I guess my point was that (In my opinion) BOTH of these bikes require the same upgrades to get it where I feel it works right for what I'm doing. Both bikes in stock form bottom the rear suspension on all but the easiest of landings, an both have front ends that seem like the dampning is way off for sharp edged rocks/step ups so they both effectively limited me to the same riding in stock form in the dirt. I call that a tie in my book. And no, I didn't buy either to achieve "big air" but I feel a bike like this needs to be able to hit small waterbreaks at speed an catch a little air with a smooth landing, or ride washboard an ruts at speed without feeling like a strut is on the front end, an these upgrades are what is required. Of course the beefier forks on the GS ARE a better starting point.

As for MPG I'm running the exact same bags (Motosport panniers) which put a dent in the mileage on the highway, on the GS 3-5 mpg, more on the KLR (which also had a 685 kit, filter pipe etc). KLR averaged 40 mpg and the GS is getting about 45 for me. So on the GS I realisticly like to fuel up around 160 miles. Riding at a spirited pace the gs has gone as low as 41 mpg. I definately have to keep an eye on the GSs range more than the KLR. On the KLR I just filled up a little over every 200 miles without thinking about it, unless I was really somewhere remote, while the GS has me doing math in my head more often. I don't trust the fuel gauge on the GS (or any bike for that matter) but I have found the GSs OBC to be really accurate for MPG figures, so if I push the limit I can quickly calculate what my range will really be for that tank depending on how I was riding.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #152
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Griz, (or anyone else) how far are you getting on a (stock) tank with the 800?
Well, last Saturday, when I ran out of gas with the OBC telling me I had 22 miles left, and one bar showing on the gas gauge, I had ridden 211 miles. But I've gone 216 before and still had a few thimblefuls sloshing around in there.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #153
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Yeah, my wife was never at peace with my motorcycle collection either. She is now my ex-wife, and I am happy to pay the alimony and live in peace.

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #154
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
The 800GS spec not that all specs are to be believed was at ~56mph (if my math was right). Griz, (or anyone else) how far are you getting on a (stock) tank with the 800?
I had gotten 220-230 miles out of a 6 gallon tank on my KLR's.

I get 220-230 miles out of a 4.2 gallon tank on my F800GS.

The F800GS is more fuel efficient due to the fuel injection system. It's also German engineering though. They didn't sacrifice power for fuel economy. 85hp out of a 798cc engine while making 4.2 gallons last 220-230 miles. Well done BMW Motorrad!!

The KLR650 throws only 38-40hp from a smaller (651cc) engine while making 6 gallons of fuel only last 220-230 miles.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #155
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,473
I am happy with the fuel mileage on my 800. The bike seems to get 56 mpg no matter what I do. Thats real mileage, gas in the tank vs mileage. No wait the speedometer is optimistic.......never mind
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #156
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_
I think it's possible to make a 2008 KLR 650 a better all-arounder (at a reasonable cost), resulting in a bike whose performance is more similar to the 800 GS.

Highway: A 705cc kit + a Stage II head kit increases horsepower of the KLR to about 50. That and bumping up a tooth to a 16 tooth countersprocket should result in much, much improved highway capability (the area where the 800GS seems to outperform the KLR).

Non-Paved roads: Some suspension work on the KLR (springs + cartridge emulators up front and a new rear shock) should make it even better on class 3 non-paved roads.

My stock '08 is good for everything between class 3 and backroad travel. For me, it is underpowered for interstate/main highway travel and suspension limits its abilities on class 3 non-paved roads. I suspect that the above changes would transform my KLR into a serious adventure bike with improved capabilities on both ends of the spectrum - easily handling interstate travel plus improved class 3 capabilities.
As a previous owner of both 07 and 08 heavily farkled KLR650's, I'd have to disagree a bit. By the time you put all the farkle money into an 08 KLR (that OTD is around $6000), you'd might as well buy an F800GS. After, the 705 kit, Stage II kit, rear shock, front suspension, better bars, doohickey, better seat, front and rear sprocket changes, etc etc, you're going to be sitting around $8-10K to get it on par with an F800GS. And on top of it, you're still never going to get BMW build quality and warranty (3 yr/ 36,000mi) from a Kawasaki. Also, I learned something the hard way: You're not going to get any money out of your farkles. When I traded my farkled 08 KLR on my F800GS, I lost out on a ton of money. This is because dealers do not give you money for your after-market add-ons and accessories. The dealer is only going to give you stock price no matter what. This is due to the fact that how you farkled it is for you and you alone. There are only a few people that will like the bike the way you do. The dealer would prefer to have the bike in stock order, so more people will be interested in it, and it has a better chance of selling. So, investment-wise, you're better off keeping your bike as stock as possible. That way you won't lose out on any dough.

The Griz screwed with this post 02-11-2009 at 04:36 PM
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #157
LDHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
you're better off keeping your bike as stock as possible. That way you won't lose out on any dough.
Or be like me and wait until some farkle happy guy get's done gussying up his KLR or whatever his latest fancy is and get's tired of it and then buy it and you have a farkled up bike for almost the same price as a stock bike.

Works for me but don't tell anyone or all those farkle happy guys will quit spending a small fortune on their bikes and selling them to sneaky guys like me...

Some like to farkle 'em... Some like to ride 'em... I'm of the latter persuasion...

$bob$

2006 BMW R1200GS
2009 BMW G650GS (GSjr)
2006 Kawi KLX250S
1951 Body by Gold's Gym

I was an Adventure Rider when Adventure Riding wasn't cool...
LDHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #158
Altaboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Last summer I rode my 05 KLR from Edmonton Alberta to Inuvik and then took a short jaunt into Alaska. The KLR did a fine job but I didn't waste any time ordering a F800 GS once I got home. This summer I will be riding the BMW to Dead horse. When I get back I 'll let you guys know whether or not the BMW is worth twice the price.
Altaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #159
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
So, investment-wise, you're better off keeping your bike as stock as possible. That way you won't lose out on any dough.
Or keep the OEM parts and sell the farkles separately....much better option.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #160
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
Or keep the OEM parts and sell the farkles separately....much better option.
Yeah, if anyone will buy used, bike-specific, worn out parts. Haven't had much luck doing that in my neck of the woods.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #161
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,882
This is a never ending argument.
Firstly, compare the KLR with the 650GS. Better comparison.

Here's my story.
I paid $5200 OTD for a brand new KLR in 2005. I have easily spent $3K on it between suspension, seat, bars, etc, etc. I have put 17K on it and must sat I enjoyed riding it except for the freeway.
I bought a KTM950 in 06 for $13.5 OTD with all the farkles I needed on the bike. I put 28K on the bike and it did everything I asked of it without spending another penny on it save for the $45 fuel pump
The KLR today is worth $3k max, the KTM maybe $7 so they have depreciated the same amount over the years but to be fair the KTM was way more fun to ride long distance.
I personally like the BMW. They came out with a great machine but given the choice, I would go the KTM route again. The price is the same and the KTM is a sturdier bike on and off road.
On the KLR side. If you can afford the twin, go for it, if not, the KLR is a great bike as well. The end cost of both 10 years down the road will not be much different. new KLR now I guess is 6K, plus 2 for farkles. In 10 years you get 3 back, loss 5K, or 500/yr.
KTM/BMW now 14K. 10 years, 5K, loss 9k or $900/yr. If you like motorcycling, is $400/yr going to make a difference to your lifestyle?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #162
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,665
Some of you guys worry about the numbers to much. Don't get me wrong, I like to get the most for my money also, but money "lost" on a bike is just what you pay to play. I lost a ton of money on my KLR at sale, don't care, I think of all the crazy places that bike took me and it was worth every penny. I'm certain I'll lose big bucks on the BMW as well, purchased new and am easily on my way to putting thousands into it.

Bikes aren't investments...they are consumables

The next guy might say it's a waste of money, but then he must not value his fun time as much as I do

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #163
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
Yeah, if anyone will buy used, bike-specific, worn out parts. Haven't had much luck doing that in my neck of the woods.
.....well you never said they were worn-out

Seriously though, when I sold my R1200GS, my farkles sold quickly here...Plus KLR's are common and their owners are just the type to look for bargains.......
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #164
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
The next guy might say it's a waste of money, but then he must not value his fun time as much as I do
You nailed it there, Dave!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #165
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:

Your neck of the woods doesn't have the internet?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote