Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Sorry I'm not into new BMW's( been there done that) nice bikes but not for me. I like my KLR and Uly though.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #17
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56
Sorry I'm not into new BMW's( been there done that) nice bikes but not for me. I like my KLR and Uly though.
BMW is not the same as it was even a few years ago. Get a ride on an F8, and you will see what I mean. I cannot imagine anyone not liking the bike. I can certainly imagine someone not liking the price.

BTW, I like KLR's a lot. Best value in motorcycling today IMO.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56
Did you do just the 685 kit or did you have the heads done also? I'm tempted to put in the 685 kit in my 01 KLR, the price isn't bad and from what I have read its a good bang for the buck.
my local guy cleaned up the heads but I didn't send them to Schnitz.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Your KLR will still be unsuited for the slab after you install this kit. It will still be fugly, however. You should really grab a ride on the F8 to see how big the gulf between it and the KLR really is.

Every one of my adventure riding bros who has a KLR or a KTM single ends up trailering their bikes to the starting point, and subsequently renting a van to return to the trailer. Sure you can pound a KLR down the slab for 400 miles, but who wants to do that?
Unsuited for the slab? Hmmm... I rode it to Radisson Quebec, over to James Bay and back - total 3,600 miles. Not sure I agree with that statement.

And fugly? of course! It is a KLR! what else needs be said.

As far as trailering, that statement is a red herring. What does that have to do with KLR vs 800GS?

btw, I demo'd a 800GS. Sweet bike. Ergos suck for a tall guy. I'd need to totally rebuild the seat, raise the bars, lower the pegs, etc. However... as soon as they hit the used market, I'm grabbing one!

Kyler screwed with this post 12-03-2008 at 09:46 AM
Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #20
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
BMW is not the same as it was even a few years ago. Get a ride on an F8, and you will see what I mean. I cannot imagine anyone not liking the bike. I can certainly imagine someone not liking the price.

BTW, I like KLR's a lot. Best value in motorcycling today IMO.

I'm sure it is a fine bike and it does appeal to me but it is priced a lot more then I can spend, I paid less for my Buell and KLR used, then the cost of a GS800. And its not just the cost of the bike it's also the cost of owning it. I have owned three BMW's R60/5, K75S, R1100RS s so I kind of know what owning them can cost.
I just want to put a 680 kit on it because I can,just for fun, I don't need it, I know it will not make it into something its not.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #21
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIW
Unsuited for the slab? Hmmm... I rode it to Radisson Quebec, over to James Bay and back - total 3,600 miles. Not sure I agree with that statement.

And fugly? of course! It is a KLR! what else needs be said.

As far as trailering, that statement is a red herring. What does that have to do with KLR vs 800GS?

btw, I demo'd a 800GS. Sweet bike. Ergos suck for a tall guy. I'd need to totally rebuild the seat, raise the bars, lower the pegs, etc. However... as soon as they hit the used market, I'm grabbing one!
Riding a KLR 3600 miles is a feat of ironman proportions.

On the trailering comment, the guys with the KLR's and DRZ's just could not bring themselves to pound long stretches of asphalt. On the 12GS or 8GS that would not be a problem at all.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #22
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Laugh Come ride with us!

Quote:
wasn't too bad spread over 11 days

Quote:
On the trailering comment, the guys with the KLR's and DRZ's just could not bring themselves to pound long stretches of asphalt. On the 12GS or 8GS that would not be a problem at all.
Wimps - come ride our here with the DAMN Riders!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
spoof
on backwards

Oddometer: 299
Quote:

On the trailering comment, the guys with the KLR's and DRZ's just could not bring themselves to pound long stretches of asphalt.
I found my KLR pretty easy for long trips. I took my DRZ on a 7,000 mile trip last year. It was perfectly fine. Neither is the best bike for high speed sweepers and going 100 mph with luggage ain't going to happen, but if you're not in a hurry, I don't see what distance has to do with it.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #24
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

I used to tour on a Suzuki GT380, hey I was young, it was what I had.
I have a friend in is younger days rode as a passenger from Ct to Ohio on the back of a CB350, when he saw the CB350 I acquired all the memory of the pain of that trip came back. Need less to say he hates Honda CB350's.
Its all in how much you can tolerate, thats why you can buy a Goldwing.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #25
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Your KLR will still be unsuited for the slab after you install this kit.
My stock '08 KLR is not unsuited for the slab. I don't mind riding it on most paved roads. The one area I would like to improve, though, is at speeds of 70 mph and above (i.e. freeway travel). My KLR will run freeway speeds, but clearly could be improved.

Quote:
It will still be fugly, however.
Completely inconsequential to me.

Quote:
You should really grab a ride on the F8 to see how big the gulf between it and the KLR really is.
I will at the first opportunity that presents itself. My other bike is a Wee so I already have a pretty good comparison of the freeway capability difference of the KLR vs a more freeway worthy bike.

Quote:
Every one of my adventure riding bros who has a KLR or a KTM single ends up trailering their bikes to the starting point, and subsequently renting a van to return to the trailer. Sure you can pound a KLR down the slab for 400 miles, but who wants to do that?
To be fair, I don't really enjoy riding anything for 400 miles of freeway. I don't even like driving my car 400 miles on the freeway. When it has to be done, it is just something that has to be endured. So, for me it wouldn't matter if I had a 800GS, 1200GS, Gold Wing, etc - long stretches of freeway travel are not fun for me.

What I would like to do, though, is make my KLR more capable at freeway speeds - not because it will make me enjoy 400 miles of freeway travel - because it will make 400 miles of freeway travel on the KLR more tolerable.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure

Trail Boss screwed with this post 12-03-2008 at 01:37 PM
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #26
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Your KLR will still be unsuited for the slab after you install this kit. It will still be fugly, however. You should really grab a ride on the F8 to see how big the gulf between it and the KLR really is.
Depends on your travel style. Not everyone wants to do 600 mile days at 90 mph. It's obvious the F800 is a better highway
cruiser but a well set up KLR can do OK and will get you there, won't burn through tires/chains as fast either.

Quote:
Conversely, the BMW F800 will have to be Heliopcopter'ed out of places a KLR could go. So the Dual Sport bikes may show up on a trailer but will be able to ride in much tougher, more technical conditions than the F800. Taking the F800 into such conditions could result in show stopper damage or getting to places where you can't go forward and can't go back. (been there, done that!) Not to mention what a shame it would be to beat up such a beauty .... and of course the cost of this!
Who wants to do that?

So, as usual, a trade off. A closer, better comparo would be a DL650 vs. F800GS.

IMO, where the KLR shines is as a round the world travel bike. Does anyone really want to take their new $15,000 F800GS to Tierra del Fuego? Sure, the bike would be fantastic .... but you could also lose it at several places along the way or destroy it.

The KLR is a very cheap investment and is more than up to the moderate pace you would likely keep when riding in 3rd world countries. Sometimes having a low key, inexpensive, funky bike is a bonus.

Django Loco screwed with this post 12-04-2008 at 01:00 PM
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #27
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
The KLR is a very cheap investment and is more than up to the moderate pace you would likely keep when riding in 3rd world countries. Sometimes having a low key, inexpensive, funky bike is a bonus.
I get it. Kinda like having an ugly girlfriend when you go to a bar.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Does anyone really want to take their new $15,000 F800GS to Tierra del Fuego? Sure, the bike would be fantastic .... but you could also lose it at several places along the way or destroy it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...96&postcount=1

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=90

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #29
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
I get it. Kinda like having an ugly girlfriend when you go to a bar.

This is one of those posts where it should have " just sayin' " at the end.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Quote:
Conversely, the BMW F800 will have to be Heliopcopter'ed out of places a KLR could go. So the Dual Sport bikes may show up on a trailer but will be able to ride in much tougher, more technical conditions than the F800. Taking the F800 into such conditions could result in show stopper damage or getting to places where you can't go forward and can't go back. (been there, done that!)
Who wants to do that?
well, I watched a guy pilot a brand new F8 around the PB300 and he did damn well - deep sand, single track, etc. I've read (here on ADV) that some of the experienced ADV riders think it will become the new gold standard for ADV riding. My short demo ride made me think that might be true. I'd easily ride it everywhere I'd ride my KLR. The KLR is a pig off road - that's why I have the KTM. But, I've also ridden the KLR everywhere I've taken the KTM (so far).

So, back to the KLR vs F800GS topic - if it wasn't for the $$$, I'd have one right now!