Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #61
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,936
So, does the '09 KLR look that much different from the new and improved '08?

And did they fix the oil consumption?

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #62
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
So, does the '09 KLR look that much different from the new and improved '08?
No. Kawasaki only changed the colors of the bike.

Quote:
And did they fix the oil consumption?
It's not clear yet. Maybe, maybe not.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #63
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Well said. A KLR is no doubt a great bike relative to capabilities and cost of ownership. The F8 is an amazing machine and will do everything the KLR does, but better. If I dropped a KLR and got scrathes on the side panels or dinged an exhaust I would not give it a second thought. The F8 on the other hand is such a beautiful motorcycle that I want to keep it as pristine as possible. The latter attitude does limit your off road envelope a bit, but it is not at all related to the bike's capabilities. I pretty much got over that attitude with respect to my HP2 (it is actually a pretty ugly bike by any measure), and maybe I will with the F8 in time.

I have a lot of bikes and love them all , but I can honestly say that I have never felt quite as strongly about any of them or previous bikes I have owned than I do about the F8. BMW really got it right with this motorcycle IMO. There is no doubt that I will be scanning ebay and all the other usual places in a year or so looking for a second one to use as a parts bike, and I have never done that before.
how does the GS compare to the HP2?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #64
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_
I received the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News today and it has a full test of the F800GS.

Quoting from the article:

"As this was also our first occasion to weigh the new machine, we were eager to see its actual difference versus the larger R1200GS...While BMW quotes 455 lbs. wet for the base machine, our scales noted 490.5 lbs wet, wearing the options of ABS (said to be on the order of 5 lbs), saddlebag mounts and a centerstand. For comparison, the R1200GS tested in Sep 2008 was similarly optioned and weighed 536 lbs."

So, here's the updated wet weight:

2008 KLR650 = 428 lbs
2009 F800GS = 490.5 lbs

A real world difference of 62.5 lbs. Adding a centerstand and saddlebag mounts to a KLR would probably shrink the difference about 10lbs.
I got my copy a couple days ago. I was surprised how critical 'ol Dave was of the bike. He pointed out a few things I was unaware of based on my dirt only test ride.

Weak brakes for one. Sketchy street handling for another, with TKC80's. (no surprise) I was also surprised by the low dyno HP numbers. 73 HP?

I'd be interested in how the F800 handles a tight bumpy road compared to a well set up KLR or DR650 ridden quickly. On the roads here in NorCal HP means little. A good rider on a KLR can keep up with just about any bike in the tight, bumpy stuff. Would the F800GS really have much advantage over an KLR? Let alone a Wee Strom or DR650? One certainly gets a lot of bling for $14 grand (my buddies cost that with Remus pipe) .... but what does that really buy you in the real world?

IMO, this bike is carrying too much weight for it's design brief. At 490
lbs. Wet, it's too heavy. Period. Add bags and misc. crap and it's just another overweight BMW. Been there, done that.

Wet weight of the DL650 Vstrom is just 476 lbs. And of course the KLR's and DR are 100 lbs. less than that. What was that someone said about the F800 "running circles" around the Wee Strom In rougher dirt sections, perhaps, but in the dirt conditions I witnessed, the Wee strom easily held it's own. On the road it was the F800's equal just about anywhere.

Here is a revealing quote from Dave Searle (MCN Editor) on the F800, comparing it to his DR650. This is relevant given the KLR is a similar bike. (of course the DR is better )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Searle, MCN
".... I finally tired of waiting (for the F800GS) and finally bought the DR650 we tested in 2007 from Suzuki. I'm glad I did. It's fun to ride, easy to work on, and sounds good too. With 40 hp in less than 400 lbs. (actually 368 wet), it has over 10" of suspension travel and with some modifications, handles every kind of riding the GS can do. The only thing it lacks is $Flash$. (yes, he put in $ sign).
That pretty much says it all for me. Two Thumbs down for the F800. . (me and Dave! )

In another part of the article he condemns the bike as not being up to the Sport touring quality of the R1200, not even close by his description. So what are you getting here any way? He explains:

He says: " If off road exploring is something you will actually do ---
not just a social facade --- the F800GS is a very desirable ride."

Sounds to me like he's got the Beemer crowd's number
Social facade about covers it around here anyway!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #65
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco

Iat was that someone said about the F800 "running circles" around the Wee Strom In rougher dirt sections, perhaps, but in the dirt conditions I witnessed, the Wee strom easily held it's own. On the road it was the F800's equal just about anywhere.
I believe that was me........................

I was referring to rougher sections for certain that would have a strom high centered due to lack of clearance for one. If you just want to do dirt roads, well then fine the 800 is a waste money. I have a Strom and wouldn't take it nearly the places that the 800 does with ease, this isn't to say it's not possible, but it sure wouldn't be fun ,at least for me. The strom just feels like a street bike to me and the 800 feels like a big enduro. Hey, different strokes for different folks. I REALLY wish I could be happy with a strom for the dirt riding I want to do, I've tried an it didn't come even close to cutting it.

And as for wieght, that really did suprise me to as it feels lighter. Check the wieght on the big Katooms, I think they'd be considered the most dirt worthy of all of the above and they sure aren't light.

But really, we can disagree on this an that's fine, but the 800 has allowed me to have a riding experience that none of the others have. If it's all in my head, fine, I guess I shouldn't be able to do the things I'm doing.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #66
irishdec
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Power V bulletproof

I,ve driven about 90% slab,on my 2000 klr,2002 Klr,2008 klr,2004 vstrom dl1000 ,,and after getting speeding tickets,soley on the Vstrom........power??? dont need it,the KLR will cruise at 75 mph all day no problems ,wel, except for buffering.Ive driven from Toronto Canada to Guatemala on the KLR,and if its set up right,its as good as a cruiser,even better as when ya drop it....you dont pop a disc trying to lift it up!!!!
I cannot comment on the '800 but for sheer reliabilty KLR all the way from what Ive read
irishdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #67
Django Loco
Banned

Right on Dave. If your F800GS feels "right" that IS what matters.
The best news about the 800 is that it looks to be reliable. If you don't feel the weight ... even better.

And I have to agree ... I didn't feel it either in my short dirt ride but the front brake was grabby but the bike steered well. I could see getting comfy on it in a few rides and some practice. Just use caution about where you think you can go. Bring help and keep your tires soft!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #68
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Well it depends on what you want to compare. I dont think the two arve very comparable; a single 650 v/s a twin 800? I think a KLR/DR/XL/SE are comparable but not a single against a twin.

The 800 seems like a better bike all the way around but the cost is double.
My 08 KLR with rear rack and crash bars is over 400lbs. However I have not nor will I ever take it to the dealer. The KLR is like a giant lawn mower engine and I can do everything to it including a complete engine rebuild if required. I'm not confident enough to do that to my bmw.

On the highway with a Corbin seat, highway pegs the KLR is just as comfortable on a all day ride. I have spent 12 hours riding it but never all interstate riding. I would expect the 800 twin to have quicker passing times but again never felt in danger on the KLR.

If I had the money I would consider a 800gs but not before I spend some time on one.

Have fun in your dilemma; winter is a great time to dream and plan for a new bike..
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #69
Lunatik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
KLR 705 Vs. F800GS

I did EVERYTHING you can do to a KLR650 to make it more acceptable on the street (highway travels).
The bike has just been re-built now after blowing up the 705 on a trans-Canadian ride. I wanted to do a three oceans tour, ended up doing a two oceans tour (Atlantic to Pacific).

In short, the 60 HP at motor on the KLr 705 with a 16 tooth counter-sprocket & Touring gear, aux fuel tank etc ... KILLED the TRANNY of the KLR in short order. Want to KILL a KLR ??
Load it to 650 pounds, install a 705 KIT with stage two head and hit the freeways for 3000 miles in three days = ONE DEAD KLR motor :)

A GS800 would have taken that in stride I'm sure, as would a DL 1000 (which I've purchased to replace the KLR705 for THOSE situations).

The F8GS seems in my perspective to be the bike I need, I'm just doing it with two bikes now (the 705 & the DL 1000).

My 2 cents worth
IBA #39165
Ride like a Knob, and you'll die
2013 BMW HP4 COMPETITION #2757
2014 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE
2014 BMW S1000R
Lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #70
Django Loco
Banned

For those super long runs like you describe (3000 miles across Canada) I think you'll find your DL1000 will be the perfect bike. Better, IMO than the F800GS.

Smoother, faster, overdrive 6th gear and easy to pack up with all your gear ..... and of course much much less expensive than the F800GS.
The DL1000 is just 15 lbs or so heavier than the F800GS, the DL650 is substantially lighter weight.

I did many cross country, high speed runs on my DL1000 including three major Baja/Mexico rides. Never even a whisper of a problem.

The blown up Hot Rod KLR does not surprise me at all, but how you got 60 hp out of a 703cc KLR is beyond me. Stock the KLR puts out about 36 HP .... so you're saying you managed to double its output?
Did you do a dyno run? (must have been a DynoJet unit!)

Django Loco screwed with this post 12-21-2008 at 06:16 PM
Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #71
Lunatik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
50HP at wheel ... verified by many 705's on dyno ... bike is 47 hp @ motor STOCK
IBA #39165
Ride like a Knob, and you'll die
2013 BMW HP4 COMPETITION #2757
2014 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE
2014 BMW S1000R
Lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #72
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 719
I don't think you really can compare the two. Its apples and oranges. Yeah there both dualsports but it ends there. One is single, the other twin with twice the horses, the KLR is plain jane and the 800 is a computerized prom queen. The KLR is Mary Ann and the 800 is Ginger. I'd ride both of 'em but probably only take Mary Ann home to meet momma!

Also, IMHO my '09 KLR is fucking beautiful!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #73
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

A lot of posts here keep saying that you can't compare the two. Why not?

Though there are many mechanical differences, including a different motor configuration, these are the aspects that are being compared. Who wants to compare two identical bikes? Yes they have quite a few differences. If we should just compare twins to twins, would it be more appropriate to compare the 800 to a Harley, after all they're both twins right?

I think the comparison comes in that they were both designed to do a very similar job, and they both go about that same job from a different angle, each having pros an cons. That's why there are many riders on the fence right now as to what to do. Same way an Aprillia RXV twin could be compared to many thumpers that have half the motor and technology, but if you're looking for a supermoto type bike they would have a common purpose, which makes them very compareable.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #74
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR650Tinkerer
The F8GS seems in my perspective to be the bike I need, I'm just doing it with two bikes now (the 705 & the DL 1000).
That's the exact conclusion I came to. Problem was I could only ride one bike at a time.

I'm keeping my strom just because it is a fun bike and I still want a street bike without knobbies an some more power, but I could be really happy without it and just keep the GS.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #75
motoman250f OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
can you give a little more information about the failure? What speed were you maintaining? What oil were you using? What went bad in the tranny?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR650Tinkerer
I did EVERYTHING you can do to a KLR650 to make it more acceptable on the street (highway travels).
The bike has just been re-built now after blowing up the 705 on a trans-Canadian ride. I wanted to do a three oceans tour, ended up doing a two oceans tour (Atlantic to Pacific).

In short, the 60 HP at motor on the KLr 705 with a 16 tooth counter-sprocket & Touring gear, aux fuel tank etc ... KILLED the TRANNY of the KLR in short order. Want to KILL a KLR ??
Load it to 650 pounds, install a 705 KIT with stage two head and hit the freeways for 3000 miles in three days = ONE DEAD KLR motor :)

A GS800 would have taken that in stride I'm sure, as would a DL 1000 (which I've purchased to replace the KLR705 for THOSE situations).

My 2 cents worth
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote