Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #91
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
So, does the '09 KLR look that much different from the new and improved '08?

And did they fix the oil consumption?
Bought my son an 08 back in May, drove it home from the dealer and the 1st thing we did was drain the oil and change the filter with Rotella 10W-40 diesel mineral oil. Bike will run all day at 75 mph with no oil consumption. Bike now has 9K on it and it takes 4 oz to top it off between oil changes....what oil consumption problem? The oil is the problem not the engine, its too slick and blows by the rings.
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #92
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
BMW, in partnership with Kymco, have a factory in Taiwan. At present they are building the new G450 dirt bike there. Also, a new F650 Dakar single is said to be coming this year. Small details are missing, like, is the motor built in Taiwan too? Or just the bike? Is it a Rotax? Or BMW built?

Another persistent rumor indicate Rotax too have also looked to Asia to produce some engines. True? I have no verification.

BMW also imply that the current F800GS/F650GS now built in Berlin at the Spandau plant, using a Rotax built motor, will, in future be built in Taiwan as well.

You hear all kinds of rumors and BS but if you follow interviews with the head honchos like David Robb among a few others, you can sometimes get a clue as to what plans might be.
New F 650 motor is made in China, that comes from my local BMW dealer, that killed the sale for the wife. She won't buy anything from China, she's looking at a DR and KLR now. Probably have one or the other by the 1st of the year.
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #93
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306
New F 650 motor is made in China, that comes from my local BMW dealer, that killed the sale for the wife. She won't buy anything from China, she's looking at a DR and KLR now. Probably have one or the other by the 1st of the year.
Geez, how many times do we have to stomp on these "rumors?" The F650 and the F800 motors (both 798ccs, BTW) are built in Austria by Rotax. Your dealer is misinformed. Tell your wife that unless she also has something against the Austrians as well, she can safely buy that F650.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #94
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Geez, how many times do we have to stomp on these "rumors?" The F650 and the F800 motors (both 798ccs, BTW) are built in Austria by Rotax. Your dealer is misinformed. Tell your wife that unless she also has something against the Austrians as well, she can safely buy that F650.

David
True for now. But perhaps the dealer was referring to the new F650 single coming down the line? An all new F650 Dakar single is rumored, I'm sure you've heard about it.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #95
Django Loco
Banned

Quote:
While I certainly support your wife "boycotting" Chinese goods, I would suggest she check her closets, underwear draw, shoes, kitchen pots and pans, coffee maker, toaster, and on an on .... or anything bought at Wal-Mart (who I boycott! for their strident anti-union stance)
I'd bet most are Chinese sourced items, despite the Euro or American name on the label. Check the
"Made IN ..... " part. Are we fed up yet? Ready to actually take action against this? Don't bet on it. Americans are very short sighted, selfish and most of all
stupid. (proven by the fact that middle class American elected Bush .... twice. and now look where we are! )

Also, the DR650 is still made in Japan but keep in mind, Suzuki has long had facilities in Korea and China. All Suzuki cars are made in Korea and lots of other Suzuki stuff is made in China. I love my DR650 and had two Vstroms (Chinese made plastics!) but fact remains, ALL the big four have been in China quite a while, and not just China, but elsewhere in Asia and other regions. They are all world companies now. Only way to survive. GM have been in China over ten years too BTW.

Fact is, BMW are very late to this migration ... to their loss.

BTW, Kawasaki has had a plant in Thailand for over ten years now. ALL KLR's are built there .... motors, frames ... the works.

Honda has also had a Thai plant for over ten years (lots of smaller, Asia market bikes built there, none come to USA) .... and Triumph have been there now since 2000.
Beautiful stuff coming off the Triumph line .... I saw it all being unpacked when visiting the Triumph UK factory in Britain in 2003.

Changing world now.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #96
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I believe that the G650GS is in fact built in China. It is the single cylinder model. I recentlly read a review on this bike and it was noted there. You can read it here:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/73/196...ticle/2009-BMW

Happy Holidays

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #97
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
True for now. But perhaps the dealer was referring to the new F650 single coming down the line? An all new F650 Dakar single is rumored, I'm sure you've heard about it.
Why do you keep referring to a new F650 single "coming down the line"?
Assuming you mean the G650GS, it's been in showrooms for nearly two months now.

And I'm with WoodWorks, can everybody please get it right from now on? The G450X motor is built in Taiwan, the G650GS motor is ASSEMBLED in China.

"F" motors are all Rotax, all Austrian.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #98
Django Loco
Banned

Thumpercrazze's link was dead but perhaps the one below will work?

Well I was wrong ... or perhaps someone at BMW was fibbing a bit.
This bike is nearly identical to the "old" F650GS single. And get this: the claimed dry weight is an astounding 387 lbs. My guess is the true dry weight will be over 400 lb.s with the wet weight going up to perhaps 440 lbs. or thereabouts. Too heavy for a single IMO.

The initial reports I'd heard from BMW said ALL NEW G650. Oh well.

The bike is built at Kymco, Rotax copy motor, frame built in Berlin.
Lets hope they didn't source the electrics to India

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/73/196...irst-Ride.aspx
Old 12-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #99
Django Loco
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Why do you keep referring to a new F650 single "coming down the line"?
Assuming you mean the G650GS, it's been in showrooms for nearly two months now.
And I'm with WoodWorks, can everybody please get it right from now on? The G450X motor is built in Taiwan, the G650GS motor is ASSEMBLED in China.
"F" motors are all Rotax, all Austrian.
I haven't seen these "new" G650GS singles in California yet. And it's hard to get it right ... even BMW dealers screw this up. So give me a break on this shit, it's all in flux and you're gonna see a lot of changes in coming years.

According to the review the "new" G650 single is totally built in China, at the Kymco factory, using "Rotax blueprints". So, NOT just
assembled, but built ... according the review linked above.

As far as ALL "F" designated bikes having Rotax motors? Well bubba, any bets that all changes in the next few years?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #100
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
I haven't seen these "new" G650GS singles in California yet. And it's hard to get it right ... even BMW dealers screw this up. So give me a break on this shit, it's all in flux and you're gonna see a lot of changes in coming years.

According to the review the "new" G650 single is totally built in China, at the Kymco factory, using "Rotax blueprints". So, NOT just
assembled, but built ... according the review linked above.

As far as ALL "F" designated bikes having Rotax motors? Well bubba, any bets that all changes in the next few years?
New G650GS at my dealers today (San Diego).

You can't even see the present, how can you see the future?
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #101
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Buy the GS.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #102
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Bought my son an 08 back in May, drove it home from the dealer and the 1st thing we did was drain the oil and change the filter with Rotella 10W-40 diesel mineral oil. Bike will run all day at 75 mph with no oil consumption. Bike now has 9K on it and it takes 4 oz to top it off between oil changes....what oil consumption problem? The oil is the problem not the engine, its too slick and blows by the rings.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #103
oldhondarider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
LOL.... the whole bmw superiority thing over the KLR is exactly why I read these threads less and less..... its this forum called Adventure Rider? where did it note which make? LOL... you guys are funny..

I always thought that if there were ever sides to be drawn ( not that I am suggesting).... it would be regarding wheels.. 2 vs 4....

oldhondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #104
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhondarider
LOL.... the whole bmw superiority thing over the KLR is exactly why I read these threads less and less...
Even less would be better.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #105
Django Loco
Banned

Your a real class act Woody! Nice way to welcome a newb!
ADV is such a nice friendly, welcoming site! Thanks for setting such a good example for other BMW riders.

Hey Woody, if you want to go after newbs why don't YOU GO back to Jo Momma .... and stay there! You'll fit right in.