Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #106
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
ADV is such a nice friendly, welcoming site! Thanks for setting such a good example for other BMW riders.
You don't need to thank Wood. BMW riders do a pretty good job of setting their own example.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #107
oldhondarider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Even less would be better.

David

LOL....exactly the response I figured I get from the elitists..... carefull that you don't let your head get too big or you won't be able to get your helmet on.... ha!

I still think your bikes are cool....even though you can't see my KLR for the height of your soapbox...

oldhondarider screwed with this post 01-09-2009 at 02:37 PM
oldhondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #108
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Thumb Beemer VS Killer

I'll weigh in here, as I have both bikes. The KLR is a great bike, built like a tank, handles kind of like one too . I have around 45k on mine, highway/forest/dirt trails and never had any serious mechanical problems. Broke a clutch cable once, blew fuses, And I'm not big on maintenance. I bought the 800 because I wanted something different in my next bike, 2 cylinders mainly, the big reason was not that it was a BMW. If Kawasaki had elected to twin the KLR, probably would have went that rout. Only other option was a Wee, but come on.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #109
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhondarider
LOL.... the whole bmw superiority thing over the KLR is exactly why I read these threads less and less.....
Says the troll making unprovoked attacks on BMW riders.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #110
OBJMS33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I agree. Nothing in this thread discussed brand vs. brand until he entered in. All comments stuck to the design benefits of each bike. Probably should of READ the thread FIRST.
OBJMS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #111
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
I'll weigh in here, as I have both bikes. The KLR is a great bike, built like a tank, handles kind of like one too . I have around 45k on mine, highway/forest/dirt trails and never had any serious mechanical problems. Broke a clutch cable once, blew fuses, And I'm not big on maintenance. I bought the 800 because I wanted something different in my next bike, 2 cylinders mainly, the big reason was not that it was a BMW. If Kawasaki had elected to twin the KLR, probably would have went that rout. Only other option was a Wee, but come on.
+1

I rode KLRs for yeeeeears, wanted something more (passing power, brakes, handling), would have been more than happy with a KL-something using their 650 twin, built they haven't built it. I've ridden the Versys and it's cool, but not a dualsport. The GS8 does what I want, better than I thought it would. 70 miles of dirt roads last weekend carrying a bunch of camping gear, it worked better than my dear departed KLR. Or the one before that.

I'm getting deja vu...sorry if I've repeated myself.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #112
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
KLR is a classic. Time will tell if the F8 reaches that status. I've never owned a KLR, but have spent seat time on several. Great value, and you don't have to be afraid of dropping it. I am still a bit timid on my F8 relative to my style on KLR's. Probably has something to do with the cost of fixing cosmetic damage.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #113
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
The only thing worse than a person that thinks he or his bike is superior because of the name on the tank is the jerk that assumes another rider is an "elitist" (or anything else) because of the brand of motorcycle he rides. It's the very same mindset actually, just reversed.

This does not apply to Harley riders. They are tools.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #114
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
+1
I rode KLRs for yeeeeears, wanted something more (passing power, brakes, handling), would have been more than happy with a KL-something using their 650 twin, built they haven't built it. I've ridden the Versys and it's cool, but not a dualsport. The GS8 does what I want, better than I thought it would. 70 miles of dirt roads last weekend carrying a bunch of camping gear, it worked better than my dear departed KLR. Or the one before that.
I'm getting deja vu...sorry if I've repeated myself.
Do you find the fuel capacity of the F800GS sufficient? I road one and liked it but lean toward a Wee. Wish Kawasaki would put the 650 Versys engine in the KLR.

One question. Are the rear view mirrors of the KLR usable on the highway to 65 to 70 mph.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #115
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Do you find the fuel capacity of the F800GS sufficient? I road one and liked it but lean toward a Wee. Wish Kawasaki would put the 650 Versys engine in the KLR.

One question. Are the rear view mirrors of the KLR usable on the highway to 65 to 70 mph.
I wish the GS8 held another gallon, but I'm not stressing over it. I can squeeze 200 miles out of a tank, which is enough to explore most of the lower 48. I don't think the Wee and GS8 are in the same class once you leave the pavement. I rode the first year Wee and loved it on the street, but the suspension didn't seem up to the kind of rough stuff I did with my GS last weekend. The dirt roads yes, the rocky creek crossings, no. I'm sure I'll get arguments about the Wee's abilities, but Suzuki's concept was not the same as BMW's when they built their respective bikes, and the bikes reflect that. Great motor in the Wee, if only the bottom cylinder wasn't so low.

KLR mirrors are generally fuzzy at freeway speeds--you can see cars behind you but can't necessarily identify John Law until you see the red lights. Some folks use rubber vibe dampeners from the XR650L (IIRC) or other sources.

You can't go wrong with any of these bikes if you're honest about the kind of riding you do, the kind of rider you are, and the kind of experience you want.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #116
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I wish the GS8 held another gallon, but I'm not stressing over it. I can squeeze 200 miles out of a tank, which is enough to explore most of the lower 48. I don't think the Wee and GS8 are in the same class once you leave the pavement. I rode the first year Wee and loved it on the street, but the suspension didn't seem up to the kind of rough stuff I did with my GS last weekend. The dirt roads yes, the rocky creek crossings, no. I'm sure I'll get arguments about the Wee's abilities, but Suzuki's concept was not the same as BMW's when they built their respective bikes, and the bikes reflect that. Great motor in the Wee, if only the bottom cylinder wasn't so low.

KLR mirrors are generally fuzzy at freeway speeds--you can see cars behind you but can't necessarily identify John Law until you see the red lights. Some folks use rubber vibe dampeners from the XR650L (IIRC) or other sources.

You can't go wrong with any of these bikes if you're honest about the kind of riding you do, the kind of rider you are, and the kind of experience you want.
Thanks for the response. I have until next fall/winter. Maybe BMW will make an Adventure version of the F8GS with a larger tank. I could get by with the smaller tank but 90% of my riding is commuting and I hate to stop and buy gas more than one a week. Just my pet peeve. Until next fall I will be lurking.

biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #117
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
KLR is what it is

TMex let me ride his GS8 pavement and jeep trails and as the owner of an '08 KLR I would not hesitate to take the G8 anywhere I have been on my KLR. On the pavement no comparison. The G8 is a total blast to ride. Thanks alot Tmex, now I need to buy one of those damn things.
bk
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #118
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Whew! I could only read the first page of posts. Hey, they are just motorcycles, guys. Geeze!

So did someone create a spread sheet yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #119
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy Drifter
I'll weigh in here, as I have both bikes. The KLR is a great bike, built like a tank, handles kind of like one too . .................................................. ...........
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #120
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
Whew! I could only read the first page of posts. Hey, they are just motorcycles, guys. Geeze!

So did someone create a spread sheet yet?

I knew when I read the title of this thread where it was going and yet I keep reading it. As if there is a wrong answer.

Take your motorcycle on a trip, whatever it is, take pictures and post a trip report.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote