Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #121
maynard58
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
I live in a rural area, all two lane roads, lots of dirt side roads, KLR suits me just fine, but if I lived near the interstate, or big city, I would look at something else, I can ride from my home to my moms house,30 miles and only cross the blacktop 1 time, old railroad beds are abundit here, Im lucky, I guess. miles and miles of mine roads also, all within 30 min of home. load with camping gear and head out. but I sure like to look at these fancy bikes.
maynard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #122
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
KLR vs 800

My only advice as someone who has had a couple of KLRs it to not throw money at it. Buy a skid plate and put in some fork springs if you weigh more than 150lbs then ride it. If you start worrying about brakes and rear shocks, exhaust systems, pro tapers etc..buy something else. It will be cheaper in the long run. Great bike but it is what it is.

PS - I did throw money at them.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #123
maynard58
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
My only advice as someone who has had a couple of KLRs it to not throw money at it. Buy a skid plate and put in some fork springs if you weigh more than 150lbs then ride it. If you start worrying about brakes and rear shocks, exhaust systems, pro tapers etc..buy something else. It will be cheaper in the long run. Great bike but it is what it is.

That is the best thing about the KLR in my case, stock is just fine,
maynard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #124
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley

+1
That is the best comment I've seen on this topic. Take the KLR for what it is. It is cheap, reliable fun. Great bike. If you try to make it something else, buy something else. I too threw money at mine until it died a metal crunching death in traffic. Then I bought the F800GS.

I love both bikes. The 8GS suites my style better. But, I would and likely will own another KLR. Except next time, I'll be a bit wiser about how I mod it.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #125
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,647
I threw a ton of money into my KLR, an am glad I did.

Some mods were better than others, but the suspension mods were worth their weight in gold as I couldn't even compare the finished ride to a stocker in rough terrain. Other mods weren't as night and day, but made a machine I loved even better, which was worth it to me. When I sold my KLR, sure I didn't get all that money back, but big deal I got my moneys worth out of the bike while riding it. It was a labor of love . The day I bought mine, I knew stock wasn't going to cut it for me, as it was just a platform to create the bike I really wanted, and in the end I had a machine that worked far better for what I do. I enjoy projects an modifying, which can be an expensive habit. But you have to pay to play sometimes.

That being said, it all has to do with youir expectations. If you want a ralley bike, supermoto or sportbike you can save a lot of dough by buying a more appropriate machine. In this case if you really want an 800, then buy that as the KLR just can't be that (without a motor swap). But then, here I am again dumping money into my GS to make it mine. The GS needs some of the same upgrades as the KLR IMO, at least motor mods an exhaust isn't a priority, or even a concern for me

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #126
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Stop trying to figure out what bike does what well and buy one of each. It's the onlt way to fill that aching hole inside of you.......
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #127
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike
Stop trying to figure out what bike does what well and buy one of each. It's the onlt way to fill that aching hole inside of you.......

If you don't mind, I may quote you on that. It fits so many situations.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #128
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Dude, it's all yours. But i'm also a subscriber to my own creedo. That's why I have 14 motorcycles. And yes, my wife hates me, but she can't stop me, either. I've been eyeing this sweet 74 elsinore 250 , it needs a new home....................
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #129
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
As a previous owner of two KLR's I can say without a doubt that there is no comparison. The BMW is in a class of its own. I have ridden the KLR around Lake Superior on the highway, and ridden it extensively off-road. The KLR is a very versatile bike. But it is what it is. It's not a BMW. I have done a lot of riding on my F800GS, and it is far superior in all aspects. It's like comparing a Honda Accord to a BMW 525i. They're just in different classes all together. The BMW is built better with better parts, higher performance, more durable, longer lasting, and has a better ride. A true testament to "you get what you pay for." I love the KLR, but I grew out of it very quick.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #130
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
KLR = Honda Accord ?????
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #131
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike
Dude, it's all yours. But i'm also a subscriber to my own creedo. That's why I have 14 motorcycles. And yes, my wife hates me, but she can't stop me, either. I've been eyeing this sweet 74 elsinore 250 , it needs a new home....................
Yeah, my wife was never at peace with my motorcycle collection either. She is now my ex-wife, and I am happy to pay the alimony and live in peace.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 AM   #132
LDHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
I plan to keep my 2007 KLR650 and my 2006 KLX250S when I get my F800GS. I think I may FINALLY have all the bases covered for dual sporting.

Of course I may end up needing a 990 Adventure before this is over too...

$bob$

2006 BMW R1200GS
2009 BMW G650GS (GSjr)
2006 Kawi KLX250S
1951 Body by Gold's Gym

I was an Adventure Rider when Adventure Riding wasn't cool...
LDHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #133
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
I've had my KLR 650 since new (96) and last year bought the 1200GSA (LOVE IT) and now my wife wants a F650GS and gave me the go ahead for the F800GS. I love the KLR for what it is and after riding the GSA I am now setting up the KLR for Offroad only and maybe short runs to the store, Maybe.
Can't wait to ride the F8

I wonder when I go to the garage this spring to choose a ride for the day which one it will be? Mmmmmmm

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #134
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
KLR = Honda Accord ?????
Yeah, KLR650=Honda Accord, Toyota Corola, Hyundai Accent, etc. BMW F800GS=BMW 5-Series, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Audi A5, etc.

Build quality, durability, capabilities, power, range, comfort. This list goes on....
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #135
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
BMW F800GS=BMW 5-Series, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Audi A5, etc.

Build quality, durability, capabilities, power, range, comfort. This list goes on....
Giving all the respect to the charm that aforementioned automobiles provide for their honorable owners, I do expect that in reliability/build quality terms they loose for accords and such as 1 to 1000.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote