Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #181
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
oh, re; the narrow wet coast and primarily desert aspects of california... don't forget the Sierras, and the whole northern half of the state, the central valley is hardly a desert, rather, its one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world.

I found these awhile back... color coded average annual rainfall for northern and southern california...

here's a similar map for the whole US...

note how the climate is quite constant over broad swaths of the eastern US, while the west has very complex geographical climates... Where my folks are from, New England, there is an old saying "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute". here on the left coast, its more like, "if you don't like the weather, move".
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #182
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
the central valley is hardly a desert, rather, its one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world.
The natural state of most of the central valley is desert. With a little more sloppy irrigation and the blooming of salts, it's slowly becoming one again.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #183
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
...I give them a couple of cards and tell them about ADVrider – neither of them had heard of the site
Liars! Look closely...
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #184
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Liars! Look closely...

cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:47 PM   #185
username
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 242
im also digging that bill the cat doll he's got on there.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:44 PM   #186
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,683
FFS Pierce - Will you stop dissecting every syllable of my journal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
oh, re; the narrow wet coast and primarily desert aspects of california... don't forget the Sierras, and the whole northern half of the state, the central valley is hardly a desert, rather, its one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world.

I found these awhile back... color coded average annual rainfall for northern and southern california...

here's a similar map for the whole US...

note how the climate is quite constant over broad swaths of the eastern US, while the west has very complex geographical climates... Where my folks are from, New England, there is an old saying "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute". here on the left coast, its more like, "if you don't like the weather, move".
Old 05-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #187
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
FFS Pierce - Will you stop dissecting every syllable of my journal!
back to posting! pierce has grabbed at least a whole page with his rants
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #188
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

27th May

It’s a beautiful day, with little cloud, but the promise of some real heat soon. I’m on the road at 1015 and it’s already hot – not 103 F, as the local bank’s thermometer says, but certainly in the high eighties already. As I leave Pahrump, I note that, given time and state sponsorship, anything can be made socially acceptable…

I head off down I93, a flat and uninspiring highway which leads to Las Vegas. I skirt around the outskirts of Las Vegas – it’s a not a place I’m intending to visit – but, whilst stuck in traffic, I manage to take a couple of snaps…

Sounds delicious :…

A chap could get quite disorientated – if he didn’t know he was in Vegas – where they’ll copy anything…

I leave Las Vegas (not a moment too soon for me) and head towards the Hoover Dam – an outstanding Art Deco piece of engineering…

…which I wanted to get a decent picture of the ‘dry’ side of. Unfortunately, the lay bys are paid car parks, patrolled by retired Hitler Youth who demand $5 if you want to stop, step off your bike, click, get back on and ride off. Bollocks to that.

I ride off in a huff towards Kingman

…which is a small city in the middle of nowhere – they had an impressive looking railway engine in their park though (Fanum – exactly which number is it you want me to write down when I see these things? : ).

What I love about riding in the desert is this kind of thing…

…did someone go to the town council of Wikeup and convince them to put it up? Or was it just some local…

Opposite Snoopy and friends are these retired gentlemen…

Any of our colonial readers like to try and identify them?

It has been a long, hot day. I check into the Hampton Inn on the Black Canyon Highway in Phoenix, have a shower and conduct full power trials on the air conditioner. The hotel's not in a good area, judging by my short amble around the block looking for a prospective dinner venue – I shall be pleased if the Adv is unmolested overnight – for the first time I can remember, I set the bike’s alarm…

MikeO screwed with this post 07-31-2011 at 08:05 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #189
Bill on bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thumb

[QUOTE=MikeO]27th May

Any of our colonial readers like to try and identify them?

It has been a long, hot day. I check into the Hampton Inn on the Black Canyon Highway in Phoenix.

I believe the car in the middle is a '56 Cadillac, all of them are Caddies I think.
Mike too bad you didn't continue east from Kingman on Route 66, The Mother Road, into Seligman and the Snow-Cap Drive-In. Then continue south on 89A through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona, then to Phoenix. Beautiful country.
You are doing a GREAT job of writing about your travels. Many of us are living our dreams through you.

Beemer Bill.
that's Huntington Beach, CA

Bill on bike screwed with this post 06-30-2004 at 08:56 PM
Bill on bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:34 AM   #190
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill on bike
I believe the car in the middle is a '56 Cadillac, all of them are Caddies I think.
Looks like a '51 or '52 Cadillac flanked by either '47 or 48 Cadillacs.

You may want to get the fuck out of Phoenix soon..it's supposed to start heating up again on Tuesday. 105F or so for the rest of the week.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:27 AM   #191
XRHasse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
Looks like a '51 or '52 Cadillac flanked by either '47 or 48 Cadillacs.
I'd say the middle one is definitely a '51 (the small auxiliary grilles under the headlamps are typical). The one to the right could be a '47 but the one to the left looks even older. Perhaps a '42.
XRHasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #192
Asphalt
Plan Well...Leave Late :(

Oddometer: 951
Agreed on the Rt.66 thing. From Kingman to Flagstaff it would have been one of the best stretches of it. Real Americana...and that would be a good part of your inspection. As you drive by all the Mom 'n Pop places you can just hear the song "Didn't we almost have it all..."

Interesting stories on the Mother Road. I've spent time talking with Angel Delgadillo in Seligman, the Godfather of 66. His brother runs the Sno-Cap. Insultingly funny. Never order the "small" coke! It's sad your map does not show 66...I guess fewer and fewer maps do these days. But if you ever see a turnoff for it...take it for a while.

Everything since the I-40 super slab was put in is whithering away...except for the Big Texan in Amarillo. If you get there, do the 72! Then hole up fer a few days digesting 4.5 lbs of beef!

Wherever you go, keep on enjoying it. You're making quite a memorable trip.
Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #193
AZDrifterus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Phoenix Area

Mike,

Are you planning on staying on in the Phoenix area or moving on.
Lot's of great places for meals, etc.
I'm in Scottsdale, at work - let's hook up.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:24 PM   #194
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

28th May

A very quiet day. It’s Friday and an American holiday weekend looms (Memorial Day). I’m fully aware that just about everywhere is going to be crowded and, therefore, I’ve decided to find somewhere to ‘hole up’ for a few days. Another factor influencing this choice is the weather forecast – today will be mid 90s F, tomorrow will be warmer…

I’m on the road for 1030 and ride the uninspiring Interstate 10 from Phoenix down to Tucson. I stop briefly at Marana…

…to get some information from the (very helpful) Tourist Office (in the local Chamber of Commerce). Whilst I’m there I notice that the local growth industry – airliner storage – has spread here too. The Adv bakes in the noonday sun – take a look at the shadow – the sun is directly overhead…

It’s getting seriously hot – I’m doing an actual 75mph on the freeway and the RID oil temperature gauge is showing 7 bars. You can tell when it’s hot – my face is actually cooler with the visor closed – I don’t know what the underlying physics behind that are, but it’s true today.

I get into Tucson and Hampton Inns at the airport make me an offer I can’t refuse - $59 a night bed & breakfast with high speed internet & HBO. It’s a holiday weekend – the hell with it – I book in for 2 nights with an option of another two…

I go food shopping (I have a fridge & a microwave in the room – I don’t need to eat restaurant food for a change – hurrah!), cram everything I own into the washing machine (pausing only to remove my mobile phone – really ) and switch it on. The air conditioning in my room is like a religious experience…

I later hear that it was 93 F in Tucson today…

MikeO screwed with this post 07-31-2011 at 08:06 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:01 PM   #195
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltForNow
And those roadside bays are "turnouts", Mike...repeat after me: "turnouts".
When you learn how to spell 'colour', then I'll take English lessons from you - deal?

Mike