Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #496
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickford
I assume that you keep a log of daily mileage?
Steve,

you are reading the only record I keep...

Mike
Old 07-19-2004, 02:27 PM   #497
Blackpaw
Peter

Oddometer: 338
Thanks as always Mike....

I have been up through that part of BC, though more south of you through Crow's Nest pass and it is a beautiful drive. There is a great restaraunt in Calgary called the Keg, if you are still going to Baniff and they have the best steaks in Calgary or so I am told. I was impressed with the steak I had when I ate there two years ago. I went to Calgary for the Canadian national specialty for flatcoated retrievers. My older dog got Reserve Winner so we went there to celebrate. Also, the staff was easy on the eyes.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:29 PM   #498
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpaw
IThere is a great restaraunt in Calgary called the Keg, if you are still going to Baniff and they have the best steaks in Calgary or so I am told. I was impressed with the steak I had when I ate there two years ago. I went to Calgary for the Canadian national specialty for flatcoated retrievers. My older dog got Reserve Winner so we went there to celebrate.
It must be great if they let your dog in. What, you mean you didn't celebrate *with* Fido?

YooperbikeMike -- Yellow Labrador
yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #499
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

19th July

I wake up at some stupid time in the morning, and doze whilst everyone else in the motel apparently has a shower and leaves – slamming their car doors as they do. I eventually drag myself out of bed at 0715 and go across the road to the Internet café – only to find it doesn’t open until 0900 – Bugger.

I pack the bike & I’m on the road for 0800, heading south west towards Rooville. Just past Cowley, I notice something interesting …

…these are vertical axis generators – a spindle shaped windmill – alongside one of the old fashioned ones. None of them were turning…

I head down through the Crows Nest Pass – scene of another landslide (the Frank Slide)…

…I stop at an A&W and have an unmemorable breakfast. The scenery, as I continue south west, is beautiful, though the weather is looking pretty threatening…

At Sparwood, a mining town, I stop and look at the World’s Largest Truck (apparently)…

…for those that need to know , 1,220,400lb Maximum Gross Weight, 169 litres, 330 bhp.

I continue south west and, at about 1100, I reach the US border. After 10 minutes, I’m granted a renewed visitor’s visa, good for a further 12 months. The cost of re-entering the Land of the Free? $6

I re-set the GPS to Statute units and continue south towards Libby, where I intend to stop for the night. It’s not far, but I’ve had an early start and there are loads of thunderstorms roaming the countryside – and they’d just love to soak me.

I cross over my old friend the Kootenay Lake…

…and ride down the western side…

The road is poorly surfaced (a sign warns it’s not maintained in winter), but the views are great…

I ride past Libby Dam…

…and eventually I get to the 37 and follow it west into Libby. As I arrive, the heavens open – I spot a small Mom & Pop with a ‘Free Internet’ sign and check in for the night.

MikeO screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 03:45 PM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:51 PM   #500
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oh, and that was about 275 miles Steve...

Mike
Old 07-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #501
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Great Report

Thanks for taking us with you.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:55 PM   #502
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastick
Mike, I may be confused but did you not already pass through Banff National Park on July 4th?"
Yes, but it was pissing with rain...

Mike
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #503
Fang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question So, talk to me in dollars; US dollars....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO

Mike
OK Mike, here's an oh-so-poignant question for ya: How much has your bike cost to repair things that broke, and replace things that wore out?
Not scheduled maintenance:
Not accessory items like gloves and helmets:
Repairs like your drive shaft, and replacements like tires and shock absorbers - and at what mileage?
In your opinion, would it have been cheaper to have a Japanese bike - say, a GoldWing? What do you honestly think? All input appreciated, when time permits.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #504
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang
OK Mike, here's an oh-so-poignant question for ya: How much has your bike cost to repair things that broke, and replace things that wore out?
Not scheduled maintenance:
Not accessory items like gloves and helmets:
Repairs like your drive shaft, and replacements like tires and shock absorbers - and at what mileage?
In your opinion, would it have been cheaper to have a Japanese bike - say, a GoldWing? What do you honestly think? All input appreciated, when time permits.
Let me make this quite plain. What you are reading is the entire record of my journey. I keep no details of expenditure (other than to check the against my various statements), make only a cursory check of mpg (to ensure the bike's running OK), accept what repairs cost me and get back on the bike and ride. If you are looking for a statistical breakdown of a journey, good luck finding it - it won't be here. My planning is minimal - I'm just riding where and when I feel like.

One day the money will run out and I'll have to stop.

In the meantime, life is far too interesting to get bogged down in the minutae of what it costs or whether I'd do it differently...

I hope that answers a number of recent points...

Mike
Old 07-19-2004, 08:45 PM   #505
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 475
Mike O, that is a great theme for a journey, " When the money runs out, I guess I'll stop". Why over analyze..the cost..the dangers.. the breakdowns..the destination..what I should've done...or what I should've gone to see...just ride the damm bike. And enjoy being free.
PUI Monday
Old 07-20-2004, 12:20 AM   #506
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:

Mike
My day is complete, I can sleep easy with that knowledge
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:23 AM   #507
Converted Soul
On the search dude

Oddometer: 288
Mike, just ride and tell/show us what you see. It's enough for me.
Due to time difference I see your reports first thing in the morning when I come into the office. It cheers me up to see that at least one person is having a great ride.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #508
TwoWheelExplorer
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 287
Roads near Libby

Hi Mike -

I grew up just south of where you now are, in Trout Creek. A few roads you might want to try:

- Libby to Noxon, MT via Bull lake Road SR-56 (fantastic scenery)
At Noxon, MT go east on Hwy-200
- An interesting side diversion from Trout Creek to Thompson Falls via Blue Slide Road partially unpaved, but used as regular transportation for the locals. Just west of Trout Creek, before the bridge, turn left, then stay right. That will deposit you onto Blue Slide Road.
- If you're particularly daring and want to do some dirt road exploration, about 6 miles in, just before you get to the next bridge at Vermilion Point, turn left and follow the forest service road signs. Absolutely stunning views up there. I've been told you can ride to Libby on those roads, but that was in the pre-GPS days :-)
- From Thompson Falls, ride Thompson Pass to Mullan, ID. Then turn around and ride back to Thompson Falls because you don't want to end up on I-90 anyway; it's boring

Hope these help!

'08 FJR1300A, '93 Ducati 900SL | iShootYouLive(My Photos) | $5 Smugmug Coupon
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St Augustine
TwoWheelExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM   #509
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:

Mike
I suppose you could occasionally (maybe once every week or two) post the total mileage on your bike...

I've been tempted to start back at the beginning, and plug *ALL* your routes into my copy of MS Mapblast, and generate month-by-month maps or something just for kicks.

mostly, I'm sitting here stuck with my bike broken waiting on new brake rotors. missed 2 weeks of the hottest weather of the year.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06 AM   #510
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I suppose you could occasionally (maybe once every week or two) post the total mileage on your bike...
For the sake of Pierce, who clearly needs things made completely clear.

I am not going to start collecting or posting statistics, mileages, costs or the cubic capacity of my luggage. If you 'need' this information, your are COMPLETELY missing the point of this thread.

Can we please stop this discussion now?

Mike