Old 09-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #796
danbrew
GSAdv.com

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
16th September

What a good day
It gets better and better Mike, I'm sure you're having a blast. Your visit to the Strategic Air & Space Museum brought back some memories of when I visted the Russian Air Force Museum in Monino, Russia (about 80k outside of Moscow) back in January. It was fascinating to see the history of Soviet aviation, but a bit of a bummer that most of the exhibits were run down. Turns out there's no money... big surprise.

If any of you are interested, I've got some neat photos of my Russia trip, with 8 or 10 Russian aviation photos in the middle of the deck.

http://twentyninewest.com/trips/moscow/

Mike - you're getting much closer to my neck of the woods. You'd probably make it this weekend if you were inclined - I'd be glad to welcome you and put 'ya up for a few days and talk motorcycles and travel with 'ya! I'll send a PM with details.

:)
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #797
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Nice blurb about Carl. Admire his perseverance and fortitude.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:52 PM   #798
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Air and Space

Hi Mike O.

Really have liked the read. Since you are such a aviation buff, I think it a crime not to visit the Air and Space Museum in DC, the new Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/ in Chantilly, VA, and the best of all, the Paul E. Garber Facility http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/garber/ in Suitland, MD. Its absolutely unbeleveable what you can see there.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:17 AM   #799
GS Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Bridges of Madison County Surveillance

The reason for the electronic surveillance of the covered bridges is that they have had a spate of vandalism aand arson attacks on some of these relics of the past. The arsonist(s) even burned the farm house where the movie (Bridges of Madison County) was filmed. Even amidst the tranquil farmland there are sickos. Enjoy your stay in the "Tall Corn" State.
GS Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:34 AM   #800
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,305
I like Carl's hack set-up and his up-right chair, way cool

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:42 AM   #801
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
I can't believe I would ever send anyone to Dayton Ohio, but I have to make sure you are going to the USAF Museum. It is awesome. I've spent 60 days total TDY to Dayton and can truly say you will be remiss is you skip it.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/

thanks for sharing your trip.

DC

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:25 PM   #802
IndyTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I'm glad your leg seems to be doing better, Mike.

I second the nomination for the Air Force Museum in Dayton. (And there's nothing wrong with Dayton, really.)

The AF museum is fabulous. If you really want to see everything you'll need 3 or 4 days, but you could see the highlights in a day. And the best thing is, or was at least the last time I was there, is that it's free!

If and when you visit the AF museum, you should probably head through Yellow Springs, OH, when you leave. It's only a few miles from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Yellow Springs is the home of Antioch College, Clifton Gorge, Clifton Mill (a working water-powered flour mill) and John Bryan State Park. It's also one of the last hold-outs of the hippies, and if you ride down the country roads around Yellow Springs, you'll probably end up at one of the communes.

There are some wonderful restaurants there. Ha Ha Pizza is really good, especially if you like falafel and sprouts on your whole wheat pizza. And if your camera is hungry, I'd recommend Young's Dairy, just up Rt 68 north of Yellow Springs. You'll probably find a few opportunities for pictures there.

Best,

Tim

"I didn't know where I was going but I knew it was somewhere..." -- Mr. Steward
-----------
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2000 KTM 380 EXC
2006 Kawasaki KLR300R

IndyTim screwed with this post 09-17-2004 at 11:30 PM
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 PM   #803
IndyTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
... and just a suggestion for routing...

If you happen to hit Wisconsin, you could head north and then east from there, along the upper peninsula of Michigan, and then head south across the Mackinac Bridge. I know you don't like bridges much, but it will be worth it for the view. And you could bypass Chicago, that way.

The UP has some spectacluar scenery along the Lake Superior shore, but it's getting late in the year so, if you go, keep the long johns handy. The locks at Sault-Saint Marie are worth a stop there, especially if freighters are coming through. Soo locks webcam

On the south end of the Mackinac bridge, if you want to get off your bike for a few hours, taking the ferry over to Mackinac Island will be both a real treat and a trip back in time (no motor-powered vehicles on the island, just horses and bicycles.) You can have the valet at Shepler's Ferry in Mackinaw City keep an eye on your bike, but it will probably cost you a whopping $8 or so..

Sorry to get carried away here - it's your journal, after all - but scenery in the midwest isn't as spectacular as that out west, and there are some real gems if you know where to look.

Just some ideas... have fun!

"I didn't know where I was going but I knew it was somewhere..." -- Mr. Steward
-----------
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2000 KTM 380 EXC
2006 Kawasaki KLR300R

IndyTim screwed with this post 09-17-2004 at 11:11 PM
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:49 AM   #804
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTim
... and just a suggestion for routing...

If you happen to hit Wisconsin, you could head north and then east from there, along the upper peninsula of Michigan, and then head south across the Mackinac Bridge. I know you don't like bridges much, but it will be worth it for the view. And you could bypass Chicago, that way.

The UP has some spectacluar scenery along the Lake Superior shore, but it's getting late in the year so, if you go, keep the long johns handy. The locks at Sault-Saint Marie are worth a stop there, especially if freighters are coming through. Soo locks webcam
If you go that way Mike, wave hello to my g/f as you pass down the 'thumb' of Michigan

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:02 AM   #805
Earache
Hola!

Oddometer: 196
Mike -

Should you come through Indianapolis, let me offer you accomodations (wife works for a hotel firm here).

Great car museum at the Indy 500 track.

I'll PM my phone numbers to you.

Eric
Old 09-19-2004, 04:10 AM   #806
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgroper
Is that normal in the States? Hope it doesn't catch on in OZ.
Best not move to QLD where it is the norm for every tyre/bike shop I have been to. There is the odd one that doesn't charge but it's built into the price i.e they charge more for the tyres. Can't speak for other states.
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #807
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,632
17th September

I’m packed and on the road at 0945, heading towards Madison, in Wisconsin. I’ll not arrive there until tomorrow, so I just asked Bettie to find a route via minor roads – I’ll stop when it feels right…

The problem with giving Bettie instructions like this on one side of a city is that she’ll route you through minor roads across the city – which is how I ended up in downtown Des Moines, an area dominated by the hideously over-gilded Capitol building…

…after some time, and crossing to the ‘wrong side of the tracks’, I’m approached by a scantily-clad black girl whilst waiting at a red light. She asks me for a date – I’m a little non-plussed, then suggest the 4th July, just as the lights change to green – there was just time for her to tell me to :GS:GS:GS:GS off before I left…

I’m soon out in the rolling countryside which typifies eastern Iowa…

…turning left at Toledo, where they have a very picturesque bronze cow & calf sculpture, celebrating the role of dairy farming in the area. Along with the cornfields which line the ruler straight roads…

…dairy farming is the main industry. Many of the fields have a series of markers planted at the end of various rows of corn…

…presumably trying out various strains to find the most successful. I come into Postville…

…famous for being the childhood home (not even the birthplace) of someone I’ve never heard of…

Soon I’m crossing the mighty Mississippi – which looks great…

…and entering Wisconsin at Prairie du Chien – Field of the Dog. Never mind – I get a room at a little mom & pop, the Prairie Inn, which has the advantage of backing onto a cinema. After unpacking and abluting, I go and watch ‘Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow’ – a sort of Biggles meets Indiana Jones in an Art Deco alternative 1940s fantasy robot thing. It has the advantage of Angelina Jolie playing a Navy pilot in a vaguely dominatrix manner – enough to recommend the film to anyone, really…

MikeO screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:57 PM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:20 PM   #808
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

18th September

I wake early, but have a slow start – tonight I’m going to visit Chris – an ADVRider who rejoices in the forum name of Phloodpants (never did find out why ) – he lives in Madison, about a hundred miles east of Prairie du Chien, but he’s had lodgers moving out this week and won’t be available until after 4pm.

I start off by crossing back into Iowa, to visit Pikes Peak State Park…

…the name is very familiar to me – I can’t work out why. It’s a pleasant little park, overlooking the confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers. I meet a Harley rider there, who tells me I’m probably thinking of Pike’s Peak in Colorado, where there’s an observatory. I think he’s probably right.

I ride back towards the bridge over the Mississippi, stopping to watch a parade – this commemorates the Class of 56 – it’s a high school reunion…

…although, judging by the vehicles in the parade, 56 wasn’t that financially successful a year…

I re-enter Wisconsin and start heading east along the minor roads Bettie has chosen…

I actually recognized this as a Chevy Impala – I think I used to have a matchbox toy like this when I was a kid – or maybe I’ve been travelling too long over here…

I notice, in this part of Wisconsin, that the farmers plant corn in some areas of the field, and some other crop in the rest – in this case in terraces – I’ve no idea why…

The owner of the Don Q Inn has somehow transported a Stratocruiser to the field outside his hotel, which serves as a handy landmark if you’re looking for it. I wasn’t.

I get into Madison a little early and arrive at Chris’s place. It’s utter chaos. His tenants have moved out leaving the place in a mess and he’s just finished transporting his own gear out of storage and putting it in the house. The house is full of boxes and it’s clear to me that the house will not be able to cater for visitors tonight (perhaps not this month…). I let him off the hook and check into a motel just down the road.

He and a couple of mates pick me up after an hour or so and we go into Madison to a German restaurant (the Essen House? I think…) where we drink far too much German beer (in 1 litre steins) and eat enormous meals. I’m very relieved to report that the pictures I took that evening seem to have been mysteriously erased…

EDIT - except this one I just found - Chris on the right!

Chris learned to ride a bike a couple of years ago – a Royal Enfield – in India. His survival alone signifies a certain ability on 2 wheels, I feel...

MikeO screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:58 PM
Old 09-19-2004, 04:40 PM   #809
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
18th September
I re-enter Wisconsin and start heading east along the minor roads Bettie has chosen…

I actually recognized this as a Chevy Impala – I think
Hey, Mike, I HAD one of those cares. 1965. Mine had a 409 engine in it, the namesake of the song. Incredibly fast. Wish I still had it!

later, docgonzo
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #810
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

19th September

I wake, after a fitful night’s sleep, feeling like crap. I suspect it’s not entirely unconnected with the 2 litres of German lager which accompanied dinner last night. Never mind. I pack the bike and, at 1000, Chris turns up – he’s going to ride north with me today, accompanied by a couple of friends. Chris rides a GS and his friends both ride Harleys. While I’m starting the bike, a couple of local chaps ask me what type of bike it is, and look mystified when I tell them – they had no idea BMW made bikes (do they make something else? : ) .

Chris and I go to a local caf and have an excellent breakfast. We’re soon joined by Mark and Al…

…who wear Harley jackets and boots, but leave head protection to Harley hair gel

We set off, first heading through some pretty countryside to the north west of Madison…

…it must be nice to open the curtains to that view from the house on the hill…

After a while we arrive at Merrimac – allegedly the only free ferry in the USA – except I know better – Buddy & I travelled on a free ferry in Virginia, back in February…

In the queue is one of those special cars built to satisfy that small demographic blip which includes those both short in stature and having poor colour perception…

At Fox Lake, after a snack and a drink, Mark and Al say their goodbyes and head off south towards Madison. Chris and I continue, through Oshkosh, home of an annual home-built aircraft fly-in, and then north towards Appleton.

The beer last night, combined with a poor night’s sleep, is beginning to take its toll, so I stop for the day at the Hampton Inn at Appleton, say cheerio to Chris, and catch up on my journal writing…

Good advice

MikeO screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:59 PM