Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #1096
PARTY BOSS
FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer: 5,421
04'xt225 yamahammer
00' R0050RS Kinder Beemer SOLD

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."

T.E. Lawrence
PARTY BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #1097
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider
Hay Mike O did you know you got a mention in the letters to the editor section of MCN (motorcycle consumer news) this month. Looks like you can't just slip into the colonies and go unnoticed.
Can someone scan & post it?

Mike
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #1098
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
Can someone scan & post it?

Mike
Don't have a scanner, but I type quickly. What follows is from the Nov 2004 Motorcycle Consumer News, from the Letters Section. Any typos are from my transcription.

Brit Slang

I very much enjoyed your Brit-biker slang piece. I had an interesting experience with British slang a few months ago.

Since I ride a BMW GS/PD, I often read the forums at UKGSER.COM, a British site dedicated to the GS series and the blokes that ride them. Last winter, while logging on, a startup picture appeared with a woman holding a sign referring to someone as a “tosser.” Not knowing what that means, I vowed to ask the first Brit I’d encounter as to the meaning of “tosser.”

Fast forward to last June. I’m riding through the Oregon Cascades on my way to the state BMW rally when come across an oilhead GS along the road. It turns out to be a British man downed with a gear-case weaping oil. Help was already called, and there was nothing I could do unless I had a spare rear drive on me.

So, now I had my opportunity to ask my new friend about that word. I asked if he had ever seen the website UKGSer. He admitted to being familiar with it. Then I asked him about the picture and the reference to someone being a “tosser.” He laughed and informed me it meant the fellow was a masturbator.

The shocker came, though, when he told me he was the guy that took the picture and posted it on UKGSer! His name is Mike O., and he’s a moderator for the website. Small world, indeed. Mike O’s “Inspection of the Colonies” is a decent read, and it’s posted on the website.

Thomas P. Krise
Salem, OR

Plays in traffic.

Codewheeney screwed with this post 10-29-2004 at 12:57 PM
Codewheeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:41 PM   #1099
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,169
Way to go MikeO
and thanks for posting that Codewheeney

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:59 AM   #1100
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
There ya go

Thanks Codeman......Saves me trying to figure out how to cut and paste.

MikeO in national publication. We are in the presence of greatness.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #1101
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,050
Howdy Mike,

I am curious about something, but not how much your trip cost Since you have been on the road now for nine months, have the days started getting a bit the same? I mean, has the newness and sense of adventure worn off yet? I would expect that after a while, much of the scenery and the roads would start to look like the last bit of scenery and the last road? Any hint of this for you?

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #1102
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Howdy Mike,

I am curious about something, but not how much your trip cost Since you have been on the road now for nine months, have the days started getting a bit the same? I mean, has the newness and sense of adventure worn off yet? I would expect that after a while, much of the scenery and the roads would start to look like the last bit of scenery and the last road? Any hint of this for you?

Adios,
No.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #1103
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
No.
Man of few words... The offer is still open if you want to teach motorcycle classes here Mike.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #1104
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,050
Sweet! That's good to know Here's to more twisty roads, old cars, interesting people and cool scenery for you

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:19 PM   #1105
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautbikeman
Man of few words... The offer is still open if you want to teach motorcycle classes here Mike.
Visa issues force me to reluctantly decline, Jeff...

Mike:(
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #1106
JamesJWeg
"Speedy"

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:

The US Visa situation just plain sucks.

James.
JamesJWeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #1107
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:

No problem Mike. I knew it was unrealistic, bbut figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

If you will PM me your address in the UK, I will send you that MCN that someone here referred to. In addition to the letter about you, the magazine has a feature story about the differences in rider training between the US and UK, and paints the UK's system in a very positive light. I thought you might be interested.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #1108
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

28th October

I wake early and, as I get dressed, notice that I’ve gone laundry critical – I’m wearing my last clean T shirt – luckily I’m planning to stay with Todd & Keri (Phaedrus 42 from ADVRider) tonight…

It’s a beautiful, but very cold, morning – there’s a leaf pattern of frost on the Adv’s saddle as I pack the bike up. I’m on the road, with all my heated clothing switched on, by 1000, heading south towards Punxsutawney…

I’ve planned a route on the small back roads which have proved so pleasant over the last couple of days – today is no exception, but I’m careful when I enter sheltered or shaded areas – it’s still cold enough to find some ice about…

Some of the village names in Pennsylvania are great…

…although I’m destined to see the best one tomorrow. As I keep heading towards Punxsutawney, the sun starts heating the heavy dew on the fields, leaving them steaming…

…and it’s not long before I can turn the electric heat off and relax about the potential state of the road.

I come into the town, which is home, each February, to Groundhog Day. ‘Punxsutawney Phil’, a groundhog (large rodent, looking a little like a guinea pig), emerges from his cage each February and, if he can see his shadow, it is predicted that there will be a further 6 weeks of winter – if not then Spring will be early. The town advertises itself as ‘Weather Capital of the World’ and they have their own Groundhog website.

I decided to visit, thinking it would be a good photo opportunity – the town was the setting for the 1993 Bill Murray movie, a favourite of mine, and I look forward to taking pictures of the bike next to ‘Gobbler’s Knob’. Except…

…except I don’t recognise a thing – it all looks completely different. It’s a pleasant enough Pennsylvanian town…

…it even has a Punxsutawney Phil Gift Shop…

…but nothing rings a bell :…

I ask a local, who tells me that the film was made in Woodstock, Illinois…

Ah, well…

I start off again, heading towards the town of Centralia and thence to Lancaster, where I’m due to visit Todd & Keri at 1700ish. Sticking to the fun little back roads…

…I make good time, and manage to ride right past Centralia without seeing it…

Centralia is the site of a fire. It’s unusual in that it’s an underground coal seam that is ablaze.

It’s been burning for 30 years so far.

When I realise I’ve overshot, I turn the bike around and have a closer look. The main dual carriageway is abruptly detoured off to the right, with the old road sealed off with a bank of earth…

…and some scarily worded signs…

…so I ride the Adv over the earth and track up the old road. I soon find why this section is closed…

…as steam gently wafts from substantial rents in the road surface. I try to find the rest of the town – apparently there’s a network of streets, with some (now abandoned) houses still standing, but the only sign that this was once a town are the three well maintained cemeteries…

Everywhere I ride up the gravel and cinder tracks, smoke and steam issues from beneath the earth – it’s a pretty depressing place…

I’m now running a little late, so set Bettie the task of getting me to Todd & Keri’s house by the most direct route. All is well until I arrive in Lebanon, a few miles north of Lancaster, where I’m caught in terrible traffic, not helped in the least by a series of traffic lights, seemingly at every block, which are entirely uncoordinated…

I arrive at Todd & Keri’s place 45 minutes late. We spend a very pleasant evening chatting and (thankfully ) getting my laundry done. Keri cooks a spectacularly good meal – chicken pot pie – with Todd turning his hand to the culinary delight of roast potatoes, in honour of having a Brit under his roof – top stuff!

After a couple of beers, I retire to the spare room – tomorrow Todd’s going to show me the local area. A good day…

1947 Plymouth - $5500 – any takers?

MikeO screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 02:55 PM
Old 10-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #1109
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Sad to see this thread trickle down Mike...

I am sure that you will hook something up quickly back home. If not, you could always marry my sister and stay! She'd hook you up in Salem Oregon...

(I never typed this....someone has hacked into my account!)

hint hint
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #1110
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

29th October

I wake after a pretty good night’s sleep – probably better than Todd & Keri ever get while trying to keep their son Jasper occupied – I’m sure they’re going to have fun with him tonight when he’s stuffed full of ‘trick or treat’ candy :yelrotflm…

After a good breakfast, Keri has to depart to do that work thing, leaving Todd and I to go for a short rideout…

Todd’s steed is a fine old 1978 airhead R100RS, which has some interesting modifications, including strengthening to the frame, forks and swing arm. We get kitted up and set off. I lost track of exactly where we went, but ended up paying a short visit to Todd’s mum & step-dad, who farm a 10 acre lot and grow the potatoes that Todd roasted to such good effect last night. They live in a really nice spot.

We set off again, heading for one of the oddly named villages in the area (there are several to choose from - Blue Ball; Bird in Hand; Gap). As we stop at some traffic lights, Todd points out an auto-parts store at the junction and asks if I want to go and replace my horn. I’ve had twin tone horns fitted since just after I’d bought the bike – one of them has eventually given up, leaving a slightly less than piercing single horn – Todd & I had discussed replacing them last night.

We pull over into the parking lot and, sure enough, Advance Auto Parts have exactly the same horns for sale…

Did I say exactly the same? Well, almost. The only difference seems to be that the mounting stud (in the centre of the horn) is now also the earth connection. So no problem then…

Or is it?

After blowing 3 fuses and eventually managing to wire the horns so they are on permanently with the ignition (a bit like fire engines and their sirens : ), we work out that the switch works by interrupting the earth lead, not the live. This means we’ll either have to isolate the bolt from the frame – or get different horns. We opt for the latter and I find a pair which fit in the same place and will use my existing wiring. Todd gets a new pair of horns to fit to his RS and everyone’s happy…

Unfortunately, this unexpected delay means that Todd has to depart (he’s a property developer and is closing a deal on a house this afternoon). We say or farewells and it’s left up to me to visit the town of …

…Intercourse. Named, disappointingly enough, after the ‘intercourse’ of two roads. Still, it wouldn’t do nearly such a good trade in postcards if it was called ‘Intersection’, I bet…:P

I turn off the main road after getting out of town, and start exploring the Amish country. Quite unexpectedly, I come across a team of horses being driven up the road…

…the young lad driving them looking at me with a mystified expression on his face…

I see several other teams of horses being used to plough and muck-spread in the surrounding fields, but none close enough to photograph on this slightly misty afternoon.

I’m feeling quite tired, and the light is fading already, so Bettie finds me a room at the Holiday Inn Express at Exton. Another pleasant day – depressingly few left now, though…:(

MikeO screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 02:01 AM