User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #1231
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,768
Hi Madarthereal,

Thanks for that - I'm glad you were able to recognise it...

I have to say, though, that it was nothing like any ratatouille I've ever seen - this had eggs and sausage in it, whereas I'm pretty sure ratatouille is 100% vegetable.

Mike
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #1232
madarthereal
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Lecsó can be vegetarian if you cant find eggs or dead animals in the fridge . Some families prepare without them depends of family traditions....and I agree with you probably lecso borned when sy put everything into a wok she found near...

This is the 3rd day am reading your thread and it really impressed me. Only today i realized how an enormous project you had then. Reading it is a perfect pastime in the year end office hours... I can say that my dream tour is something like this summer months in the southern states winter months in northern states and Canada. If a year is not enough then it can lasts 2 or 3 years. then I should relocate the touring territory to Australia and NZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
Hi Madarthereal,

Thanks for that - I'm glad you were able to recognise it...

I have to say, though, that it was nothing like any ratatouille I've ever seen - this had eggs and sausage in it, whereas I'm pretty sure ratatouille is 100% vegetable.

Mike
madarthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #1233
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madarthereal View Post
Lecsó can be vegetarian if you cant find eggs or dead animals in the fridge . Some families prepare without them depends of family traditions....and I agree with you probably lecso borned when sy put everything into a wok she found near...

This is the 3rd day am reading your thread and it really impressed me. Only today i realized how an enormous project you had then. Reading it is a perfect pastime in the year end office hours... I can say that my dream tour is something like this summer months in the southern states winter months in northern states and Canada. If a year is not enough then it can lasts 2 or 3 years. then I should relocate the touring territory to Australia and NZ.
You might want to think about swapping your summer & winter venues...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #1234
madarthereal
n00b

Oddometer: 8
he-he yes, you're right. that's what I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
You might want to think about swapping your summer & winter venues...
madarthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #1235
euromedic
Peter...n00b

Oddometer: 145
MikeO,

I've spent a good part of this week catching up on your report, with many more hours left to read. Your prose is spot-on, the images amazing, and your general perspective on the journey terrific. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #1236
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromedic View Post
MikeO,

I've spent a good part of this week catching up on your report, with many more hours left to read. Your prose is spot-on, the images amazing, and your general perspective on the journey terrific. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Oh, I've got loads of them...

Glad you're enjoying it - seems like a long time ago now...
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #1237
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Laugh

3rd July 2004

/snip/
He tells me that there's another film crew based in Canmore, my 'target for tonight' - apparently Ang Lee is making a film about 2 cowboys falling in love - with one another...
/snip/

reading this from p.1 and stumbled upon this.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #1238
GregInBoulder
Jerry rules. Get over it.

Oddometer: 2,411
As the world turns....

Was a wonderful time, great report and I even got a cameo. Best of the best of ADRider.

"Stupid should be painfull" - FatChance
GregInBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #1239
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInBoulder View Post
Was a wonderful time, great report and I even got a cameo. Best of the best of ADRider.
Hi Greg

Happy New Year to you and yours...

Mike
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #1240
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

My standards as a lurker here are pretty high Has to be a pretty good report for me to wade through 80+ pages over the course of a few days. Have to say I never lost interest in this one. Great job! I particularly enjoyed all of the old car pics...as I am also old Only missed one...the Hudson. Thought it was a Mercury.

Any thoughts of coming back?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #1241
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
My standards as a lurker here are pretty high Has to be a pretty good report for me to wade through 80+ pages over the course of a few days. Have to say I never lost interest in this one. Great job! I particularly enjoyed all of the old car pics...as I am also old Only missed one...the Hudson. Thought it was a Mercury.

Any thoughts of coming back?
Glad you enjoyed the trip WWS - I came back for a while in 2006...

Mike
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #1242
Yorkybar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hallo MikeO. I am an ex pat living in Germany and I have been reading the stories of your epic ride through the States with awe. Thare arent enough superlatives to explain how good it was. On the 1st of May I also fly over for only 2 months and try to do a little of what you did back in 04. I have bought a bike in the US and will be riding it east - west. Could you give me any tips. I have been thinking about doing the 4 corners thats, Madawaska ME, Key West FL, San Ysidro CA and Blaine WA. I am perhaps a little to old but never mind I will be 67 next.

Once again thank you for so much reading pleasure. Oh did you get work in the end that makes you happy?

Should you be in Germany near Hamburg at any time PM me and I will have a room for you.

Cheérs

Eddie
Yorkybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #1243
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,544
MikeO

Yep, still scribed to your thread

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #1244
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkybar View Post
Hallo MikeO. I am an ex pat living in Germany and I have been reading the stories of your epic ride through the States with awe. Thare arent enough superlatives to explain how good it was. On the 1st of May I also fly over for only 2 months and try to do a little of what you did back in 04. I have bought a bike in the US and will be riding it east - west. Could you give me any tips. I have been thinking about doing the 4 corners thats, Madawaska ME, Key West FL, San Ysidro CA and Blaine WA. I am perhaps a little to old but never mind I will be 67 next.

Once again thank you for so much reading pleasure. Oh did you get work in the end that makes you happy?

Should you be in Germany near Hamburg at any time PM me and I will have a room for you.

Cheérs

Eddie
Hi Eddie,

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip.

To answer your question - the only tip I can give you is to put fuel in the bike and follow the front wheel. I set myself no targets (if you are going to do the four corners, you're going to spend a lot of time on freeways/divided highways, which certainly wouldn't be my choice) and when I set off in the morning very often didn't know where I was going to be that evening.

My trip had little to do with motorcycling and much more to do with removing myself from 'normal' society for a few months. Where you go isn't really that important - remember that you'll never be able to see everything. Accept that and relax. The thing that will make your journey - which be utterly different to mine or anyone else's - will be the people you meet.

Have fun,

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #1245
Yorkybar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks MikeO for taking the time to answer, I had almost come to the same conclusion but I was so impressed with your ride I thoight I would ask. I have talked to several people about this and they say do Shenandoah Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway and the go south through
Texsas and thats what I think I will do. Once again Mike have a good day.

Eddie
Yorkybar is offline   Reply With Quote