ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
RES OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Local Beta in Central/Northern OR?

Hey folks, long time lurker/N00B here.
Looking for local knowledge on getting from Bend to Stevenson,WA.
I know about the OBRDR, but don't have the time to head east and then north. Read a Ride Report (from 2012) where a route went from Bend up to Detroit Lake and then onto Hood River. Looked like good bit of dirt, but that could just be for the report? Looking for knowledge if a legal route exists, the map on the ride report looks as if they rode on the PCT or thru Wilderness areas.
Timing would be early August, Delivering a truck in Bend, then I'll ride north on my WR250R, so don't want to spend much time on the slab as it pushes the bike and me to it's limits.
Big picture is I'll hook up with the WABRDR to Cashmere/Wenatchee then slab and dirt home to the Methow.
Thanks for any wisdom and insight.
Cheers
Rob
RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,966
Maybe PM Applejam about his route. My experience in that area is there's an Indian Reservation on the East side of the mts, so need to stay on the West side until near Mt. Hood. I've tried to do similar routes and found that the gravel roads are basically side trips - the paved mileage ends up being the same either way and the total mileage doubles...

If you want to try it, just get Deschutes, Willamette, and Mt. Hood National Forest maps.
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
RES OP
n00b

Thanks Dhally,
Defiantly want to get and stay west of crest. Was thinking you could go over Santiam pass, just wanted to hear if-someone local had left Bend and rode dirt up and over the Pass and the north on the west side of Jefferson. Next step is to get maps and make phone calls to see if roads are really open.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by RES View Post
Thanks Dhally,
Defiantly want to get and stay west of crest. Was thinking you could go over Santiam pass, just wanted to hear if-someone local had left Bend and rode dirt up and over the Pass and the north on the west side of Jefferson. Next step is to get maps and make phone calls to see if roads are really open.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers
I just went over at Summit lake weekends ago(south of Hwy58) and it was completely dry. If this was some other time I'd jump on the bike and help you find a route.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
dhally
Hammerhead

Santiam Pass is Boring. I recommend McKenzie Pass if you've never done it, even though it is a detour. The WRR will do fine since the fun part is all downhill...

There is also Santiam Wagon Road which I think is a gravel road that parallels Santiam on the south side.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
RES OP
n00b

Thanks for the beta, downloaded some free topos of the area, looks doable just need to get more details as chasing roads on Topos around here can be a challenging affair, and my goal is to get back to work with a fun ride/adventure.
Not looking for the epic ride, at least not solo and a sort window of time...
If I put it all together, and get to ride it I'll post it up
Cheers
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
dhally
Hammerhead

I suggest the actual Forest Service maps available at sporting goods stores. They are about $10 bucks each but they only show open roads. The topos will get you in trouble fast, since many of the roads shown on them are gone or closed, and new ones have been built.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
RES OP
n00b

FS maps are definantly better, but free downloads are what I gave access to. Checked out the Pacific Crest Trail thread, and see tha there is a " route" older but known as the Pacific Crest Quest, seems like it would work, will continue with my "research" and see if I can down load the old tracks.
Any other local wisdom is always welcome!
Cheers
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
You could turn at Camp Sherman and follow the Metolius river down to Lake Billy Chinook, through Madras to Warm Springs on gravel roads, then follow the Deschutes river down to Maupin, then cut over to Hood River.

This is a digital FS map that is nice for planning as it shows where the public land is- http://www.oregonhuntingmap.com/
Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
RES OP
n00b

Very cool map, looks like I can link a bit of pavement with NF roads and go the distance.
Thank you!
Cheers
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Go to GPS exchange and down near the bottom in Jerry Counts section look up the OBCDR route 3. It runs up from Sisters through Detroit and on up to the Washington border very close to where the WBCDR starts. That is the track I used to get from southern Oregon to the WBCDR when I ran it a few years ago.

You don't need to be a member to download Jerrys tracks.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
RES OP
n00b

Thanks for the info, when I see the OBCDR, I always assume it's the route that heads eat out of the Bend area before heading North. I will check out Jerry's tracks,
Cheers
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #13
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
FYI, I just found a giant tree down across R3S1 of OBDR, just a short way south of 242. There's an asphalt road just east of the Route there(NF1018 maybe??) that you can access the south side of the blockage real easy.
N44 15.896' W121 41.967'

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE

doggitter screwed with this post Today at 06:08 AM
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote