ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #7831
Shaun09
Riding the Asphalt Ribbon
 
Shaun09's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Oddometer: 40
Yep, that was me. Indeed, I wasn't sure if that was a wave or a turn signal.

I don't like commuting on the bike (but I do sometimes). Too much hassle with ATGATT for such a short trip - often stuck in traffic both ways. I prefer rides that are in the hundreds of miles instead.

Cheers!
__________________
Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)
Shaun09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #7832
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant
 
oldmonkeybut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Western Rain county, Oregon
Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun09 View Post

I don't like commuting on the bike (but I do sometimes). Too much hassle with ATGATT for such a short trip - often stuck in traffic both ways. I prefer rides that are in the hundreds of miles instead.

Cheers!
Get up earlier and take the long way to work. I used to work in Harrisburg and I can tell you from experience that Sisters, Newport, Waldport, Oakridge, Cottage Grove, Reedsport, etc...are all "on the way to and from work" from my house.
__________________
In a pool of Children s Tears
oldmonkeybut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #7833
pHelix
Eternal n00b
 
pHelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Socialist Nirvana, Orygun
Oddometer: 1,173
Good meetup tonight. Good ta seeya, Big Bob, it's been a while. And good ta meetcha, czechplease. Hope ya get that nail polish off soon! . We'll have to work on getting that bike dirty, eh?

I'm off to tour the Four Corners area with the missus. Monument Valley beckons... See y'all in a week or three.
__________________
Kevin
just beneath the surface of the mud, there's more mud here... Surprise.

'07 R1200GS, '03 DR-Z400
pHelix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #7834
orbiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Springfield, OR.
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Duck View Post
Good meetup tonight. Good ta seeya, Big Bob, it's been a while. And good ta meetcha, czechplease. Hope ya get that nail polish off soon! . We'll have to work on getting that bike dirty, eh?

I'm off to tour the Four Corners area with the missus. Monument Valley beckons... See y'all in a week or three.
I'll be in the 4 Corners area soon too. My wife and I are headed to Yellowstone to see the Cannonball 2012 Riders at Old Faithful on the 17th. After that we are headed to CO. Rockies, The Million Dollar Hwy and then 4 Corners. I figure some where around the 22 or so.
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #7835
pHelix
Eternal n00b
 
pHelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Socialist Nirvana, Orygun
Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
I'll be in the 4 Corners area soon too. My wife and I are headed to Yellowstone to see the Cannonball 2012 Riders at Old Faithful on the 17th. After that we are headed to CO. Rockies, The Million Dollar Hwy and then 4 Corners. I figure some where around the 22 or so.
Huh. We'll be there the 18th and 19th, then heading to Mesa Verde. Maybe we'll pass each other.
__________________
Kevin
just beneath the surface of the mud, there's more mud here... Surprise.

'07 R1200GS, '03 DR-Z400
pHelix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #7836
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Brownsville, OR
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Duck View Post
Good meetup tonight. Good ta seeya, Big Bob, it's been a while. And good ta meetcha, czechplease. Hope ya get that nail polish off soon! . We'll have to work on getting that bike dirty, eh?

I'm off to tour the Four Corners area with the missus. Monument Valley beckons... See y'all in a week or three.
Good to meet you too V-Duck.....and for the record:

#1- That WAS paint you spotted around the edges of my fingernails...it was...it was...it WAS!
#1a- To substantiate above claim...You'll notice I did not get anywhere NEAR lightheaded when you took hold of my hand for said fingernail inspection, indicating a complete absence of 'male contact swooning' that, were it to have been fingernail polish, would have been present.

(how quickly everyone passed judgement when it appeared I had possibly 'dabbled' with my feminine side...I mean, this IS Eugene is it not? Where was the tolerance? Can't a girl....er, I mean...can't a guy just be hisself without the blatant condemnation? Now...I'm NOT a Nancy, but if I were....)

#2- NO....I did NOT put anything on my tire sidewalls...I may have 'cleaned' them during the last wash job, but again, I did NOT apply any shine-inducing product on them. (ok OK...I really cleaned them, sheesh)

The whole point of my using the invite I got from one in this group a month or so ago...is so I can learn how to ride this scooter offroad from guys who aren't 19 and don't think it's fun unless they're 'getting air'. I've got the goin' fast on the pavement thing down, I need some mentoring on the unpaved stuff. In other words....you let me know when/where and I'll be happy to get dirt on this bike. (and I'll wash it off as soon as I get home) I also want to hear stories and pick some brains for gear suggestions etc., basically so I can save myself the time and $'s of trying stuff out to see if it works and ending up with a pile of stuff I shouldn't have ever bought in the first place.

I just sent an e-mail to another in this group who's offered to lead me around for awhile. I'm not afraid to ride off the pavement...I'm just reeeaaaallly slow at it.

Someone showed up after everyone left except me and one other guy...this 'someone' has previously "hinted" that he may or may not be slightly interested in trading his black Klr side panels for my silver ones. He pretty much came across as he could 'take it or leave it' on the whole idea. Well, I'd been giving it some thought and I had decided I'd at least put a black one on and then decide....provided his were CLEAN enough! We left the Pad and rode over to his garage and got the first one on....AFTER I wiped some dust off of it. DONE DEAL! We switched 'em both out. I'm happy and, after he gets the orange decals off, he'll be happy.

The black panels, on the other hand, were a little concerned but...after the 7th layer of hand-rubbed carnuba wax, they calmed right down.
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #7837
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Brownsville, OR
Oddometer: 242
just to clarify....I'm KIDDING about the "carnuba wax" thing....I used a buffer.
__________________
tried normal...didn't take
--------------------------------------------------
heh heh....yeah, I know buddy....it's just a Klr....I also know it's 28 degrees and foggy as hell....but I'm ridin'
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #7838
pHelix
Eternal n00b
 
pHelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Socialist Nirvana, Orygun
Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechplease View Post
Good to meet you too V-Duck.....and for the record:

#1- That WAS paint you spotted around the edges of my fingernails...it was...it was...it WAS!
#1a- To substantiate above claim...You'll notice I did not get anywhere NEAR lightheaded when you took hold of my hand for said fingernail inspection, indicating a complete absence of 'male contact swooning' that, were it to have been fingernail polish, would have been present.

(how quickly everyone passed judgement when it appeared I had possibly 'dabbled' with my feminine side...I mean, this IS Eugene is it not? Where was the tolerance? Can't a girl....er, I mean...can't a guy just be hisself without the blatant condemnation? Now...I'm NOT a Nancy, but if I were....)

#2- NO....I did NOT put anything on my tire sidewalls...I may have 'cleaned' them during the last wash job, but again, I did NOT apply any shine-inducing product on them. (ok OK...I really cleaned them, sheesh)

The whole point of my using the invite I got from one in this group a month or so ago...is so I can learn how to ride this scooter offroad from guys who aren't 19 and don't think it's fun unless they're 'getting air'. I've got the goin' fast on the pavement thing down, I need some mentoring on the unpaved stuff. In other words....you let me know when/where and I'll be happy to get dirt on this bike. (and I'll wash it off as soon as I get home) I also want to hear stories and pick some brains for gear suggestions etc., basically so I can save myself the time and $'s of trying stuff out to see if it works and ending up with a pile of stuff I shouldn't have ever bought in the first place.

I just sent an e-mail to another in this group who's offered to lead me around for awhile. I'm not afraid to ride off the pavement...I'm just reeeaaaallly slow at it.

Someone showed up after everyone left except me and one other guy...this 'someone' has previously "hinted" that he may or may not be slightly interested in trading his black Klr side panels for my silver ones. He pretty much came across as he could 'take it or leave it' on the whole idea. Well, I'd been giving it some thought and I had decided I'd at least put a black one on and then decide....provided his were CLEAN enough! We left the Pad and rode over to his garage and got the first one on....AFTER I wiped some dust off of it. DONE DEAL! We switched 'em both out. I'm happy and, after he gets the orange decals off, he'll be happy.

The black panels, on the other hand, were a little concerned but...after the 7th layer of hand-rubbed carnuba wax, they calmed right down.
Yer a good sport. You'll fit right in.

Some unsolicited advice:
Don't take any "follow me" offers from OldMonkeyBut. Ask around... I've come close to serious injury by stupidly trying to keep him in sight. That said, his back roads tours are not to be missed!

Welcome aboard!
__________________
Kevin
just beneath the surface of the mud, there's more mud here... Surprise.

'07 R1200GS, '03 DR-Z400
pHelix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #7839
tblume
deus ex machina
 
tblume's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: 541
Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Duck View Post
Yer a good sport. You'll fit right in.

Some unsolicited advice:
Don't take any "follow me" offers from OldMonkeyBut. Ask around... I've come close to serious injury by stupidly trying to keep him in sight. That said, his back roads tours are not to be missed!

Welcome aboard!
need me one of those tours- will there be a fall invitational "see the pretty leaves change color" tour soon?
__________________
Stoichiometric
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #7840
peterman
cop magnet
 
peterman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
Oddometer: 12,886
on the gear thing,,

If you plan to ALWAYS have a bike,then invest in the best there is and be done with it!
I have been thru several brands, and the sum total would surpass the initial investment of the top quality stuff. Also check what is guaranteed.
BMW gear is made to fit you, and great quality. you may feel out of place wearing it on a KLR.
Rukka gear is hard to beat.
You'll want more than one hat too. One for commuting and one you don't mind if it gets really dusty inside, or dropped, or scratched up going thru brush, try them all before you buy one. I like my HJC for just over a hunnert bucks for a bash around hat.
Gloves are the same story,,you'll back away from paying several hundred dollars for them, but the best brands such as Held, have saved many hands from crash conditions far worse than we are likely to endure.
Glad you got 2KLRAndy his cover swap,,I saw him on his way there and wondered if he was in time to catch you.
__________________
peterman
___________________________
"Your God, your rules,,YOU go burn in hell!" LLV
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #7841
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Brownsville, OR
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
If you plan to ALWAYS have a bike,then invest in the best there is and be done with it!
I have been thru several brands, and the sum total would surpass the initial investment of the top quality stuff. Also check what is guaranteed.
BMW gear is made to fit you, and great quality. you may feel out of place wearing it on a KLR.
Rukka gear is hard to beat.
You'll want more than one hat too. One for commuting and one you don't mind if it gets really dusty inside, or dropped, or scratched up going thru brush, try them all before you buy one. I like my HJC for just over a hunnert bucks for a bash around hat.
Gloves are the same story,,you'll back away from paying several hundred dollars for them, but the best brands such as Held, have saved many hands from crash conditions far worse than we are likely to endure.
Glad you got 2KLRAndy his cover swap,,I saw him on his way there and wondered if he was in time to catch you.
Thx for the suggestions. After a 12yr "void" since the last motorcycle (ST1100), I can say that from this point forward, as long as I can ride...I'm gonna have a bike. I'm right there with the "buy right, buy once" deal. That's where talking to you fellas comes in. Good advice too on the "beater helmet" concept. It's going on the gear list for the end of Spring. As far as BMW gear goes...I kept a pair of warm weather BMW rain gloves stuffed away in a box since the last bike and as soon as I got the Klr I dug 'em out. Best piece of riding gear I've owned. It looks like I'll make it through this session of warm-ish weather without having to buy gear, but what I currently have is marginal at best so before next spring I'm gonna try to figure out which jacket and gloves to get for whenever it is we see the sun again.

I'm excited for the upcoming rain...(I know, I know "FU"). Thing is, in Kalifornia most bikes got put up when the water fell and I didn't do enough wet-weather riding in Georgia to remember it so...riding in the stuff is a relatively new challenge and gives me a reason to leave the scooter dirty.

To his credit, Andy didn't say nothin' about the panels when he got there but I could tell that all he was hearing when I was speaking was "blah blah blah panels...blah blah silver...blah blah".
__________________
tried normal...didn't take
--------------------------------------------------
heh heh....yeah, I know buddy....it's just a Klr....I also know it's 28 degrees and foggy as hell....but I'm ridin'
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7842
oremike
Motorcyclest
 
oremike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Creswell, Oregon
Oddometer: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
need me one of those tours- will there be a fall invitational "see the pretty leaves change color" tour soon?
I dun-o falling and changing colors has hurt every time I've done it
__________________
Mike M.
Creswell, Oregon
'14 KLR 650

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #7843
pHelix
Eternal n00b
 
pHelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Socialist Nirvana, Orygun
Oddometer: 1,173
Look at the pretty lights... er colors

I'm getting better at staying upright. Count me if for such a tour if it's after sep. 28...
__________________
Kevin
just beneath the surface of the mud, there's more mud here... Surprise.

'07 R1200GS, '03 DR-Z400
pHelix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #7844
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant
 
oldmonkeybut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Western Rain county, Oregon
Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Duck View Post
I'm getting better at staying upright. Count me if for such a tour if it's after sep. 28...
I'm up for some leafy goodness. V-Duck what do you think of a redue of the Cascade Twisties Tour we did last year. Oddly the guy that brought the Harley along hasn't been bugging me to do it again. I don't have anymore Psychodelic Gummy Bears left.

Whatever we do will have to be after the Hood River Valley Rally. That puts it in midish October. Preferably before the frost is on the punkin. Cause we all know......When the frost is on the punkin, then's the time for peter dunkin.
__________________
In a pool of Children s Tears
oldmonkeybut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #7845
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...
 
Miguel Sanchez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Bend(over), OR
Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
I'm up for some leafy goodness. V-Duck what do you think of a redue of the Cascade Twisties Tour we did last year. Oddly the guy that brought the Harley along hasn't been bugging me to do it again. I don't have anymore Psychodelic Gummy Bears left.

Whatever we do will have to be after the Hood River Valley Rally. That puts it in midish October. Preferably before the frost is on the punkin. Cause we all know......When the frost is on the punkin, then's the time for peter dunkin.

Make it Oct 14 and I'll join up on the start of my apparently-solo 555 run that nobody else wants to join. Just like in grade school, when I was the last dude to be picked for a ball game. Guess that's why I just went off behind the gym and got stoned rather than play with that stupid fuckin' ball anyway...

I'll be the guy on the 40 yr old motorcycle with a Giant Loop on the back
__________________
- Miguel

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014