ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #8086
RideAbout
Mentally Retired
 
RideAbout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechplease View Post
... and I'm turning to you guys for suggestions...

My $0.02

No matter how much you spend on your jackets and pants, they "will" leak at some point... maybe not the first week, month or year.... but they will. Too many pockets, vents, flaps, seams and zippers are built in to our PowerRanger suits to prevent the seepage of water.

The "only" way to stay dry is with good rain gear over the top of your choice of riding gear. TourMaster rain jacket and pants for less than $60 or similar is a good place to start. IMHO.

I have a pair of REI goretex rain pants that zip all the way up the leg. To my surprise, they have stayed waterproof for many years now.
__________________
West - "Oeste Sanchez"
RideAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #8087
pHelix
Eternal n00b
 
pHelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Socialist Nirvana, Orygun
Oddometer: 1,112
I've been using a pair of FirstGear pants ($100 @ Discount MC Parts off W. 11th) for the last couple years. They're "waterproof" which is true if the rain is light or just a shower or two.

I second West's suggestion of a relatively cheap Tourmaster rain suit. I got the $60 set and like it quite a bit. It has a hood that fits under your helmet to prevent the trickle down the back of your neck. Not perfect, but not bad at all...

__________________
Kevin
just beneath the surface of the mud, there's more mud here... Surprise.

'07 R1200GS, '03 DR-Z400
pHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #8088
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant
 
oldmonkeybut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Western Rain county, Oregon
Oddometer: 2,182
Water proof is a relative term. Nothing will keep you completely dry. If it seals up tight enough to keep the outside water out you are going to sweat enough to get wet inside. As has been stated above the best set up is real raingear over the outside of real riding gear. I prefer a two piece set of raingear myself. I have one piece sets also but they suck to get in and out of. The best deal I have found came from MotorCycle Super Store. They were selling closeout Field Sheep two piece sets for $37.00 a couple years ago so I bought a few. Remember to buy at least a size bigger than you normally would so it will fit over your gear. A lot of the Waterproof Riding gear (like my BMW suit) relies on a Goretex Membrane that lives in the inner liner of the suit. That being said your suit will get saturated and become quite heavy. Anything you have in your pockets will also become saturated. If you stop anywhere you will leave a puddle on the floor and once saturated it takes a long time to dry. A real Rain Suit can be taken off or at least shaken off before you soak the nice chair at your local Starbucks. The other thing to think about is Conspicuety. You are a lot harder to see in the rain so get the brightest most god awful flourescent colored raingear you can find. Not only will the cars see you better it will help find your ass in the bushes if you happen to ride off the road while you can't see where your going.
__________________
In a pool of Children s Tears
oldmonkeybut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #8089
QUINCYKID
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 5
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
Water proof is a relative term. Nothing will keep you completely dry. If it seals up tight enough to keep the outside water out you are going to sweat enough to get wet inside. As has been stated above the best set up is real raingear over the outside of real riding gear. I prefer a two piece set of raingear myself. I have one piece sets also but they suck to get in and out of. The best deal I have found came from MotorCycle Super Store. They were selling closeout Field Sheep two piece sets for $37.00 a couple years ago so I bought a few. Remember to buy at least a size bigger than you normally would so it will fit over your gear. A lot of the Waterproof Riding gear (like my BMW suit) relies on a Goretex Membrane that lives in the inner liner of the suit. That being said your suit will get saturated and become quite heavy. Anything you have in your pockets will also become saturated. If you stop anywhere you will leave a puddle on the floor and once saturated it takes a long time to dry. A real Rain Suit can be taken off or at least shaken off before you soak the nice chair at your local Starbucks. The other thing to think about is Conspicuety. You are a lot harder to see in the rain so get the brightest most god awful flourescent colored raingear you can find. Not only will the cars see you better it will help find your ass in the bushes if you happen to ride off the road while you can't see where your going.
You pretty much said it all MonkB, Years ago i was a 'LINEMAN' for the RAILROAD and several times the ladies in driving by would comment later on about how ROMANTIC guys look up on a pole working the HOT-STUFF IN THEY'RE "SHIRTSLEEVES" (T-SHIRT & LEVIS) . . ESPECIALLY IN NASTY RAIN, SLEET, SNOW, ETC. Little did they know that first of all, you are usually exerting yourself enough that you are not really that cold and secondly the RAIN gear would not only get in your way BUT is down-right DANGEROUS because of it's bulk. Also the moisture coming out of your body in such circumstances would turn any rain-gear, even Gore-Tex, into a portable SAUNA . . HAH HA !
QUINCYKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #8090
peterman
cop magnet
 
peterman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
Oddometer: 12,423
Tourmaster pants,,2006,pretty good armor, easy to get into,waterproof pretty much the first season.
tourmaster pants,,2010,much improved armor, a pain to get into, crotch zipper fails soon,waterproof pretty much the first season, and 1 more ride,, good for sprinlkes, not for constant rain or downpours.
Rode to B.C. in the early spring,,constant rain the whole trip almost, with a $60 pair of snowboarder pants over my carrhart bibs,board pants now frayed from wind flappage,but,still waterproof. too long for your legs, but you can borrow them for a test ride. Made to slip on over big boots, these are a quick change, no space taking item.
BMW one piece rainsuit,,a major struggle to get into, forget any access to any inside pockets, and as OMB stated, what seals water out,,also seals water in. For a leisure ride, even with heated jacket liner and light gear, it is a barrier against anything out there, snow or rain, or wind.REally a nice secure and safe feeling, I love mine,,but,,,,
Ride 5 minutes with it on while standing on the pegs and working a little bit,,instant sauna!,,and you have never wanted to get out of a garment so fast in yer life!
Before I had a clue about all the gear, I was an intrepid rider with whatever I had.
To this day,, if I want comfort, ease of movement, and waterproofyness, I wear my standard riding jacket and stuff, and a waterproof windbreaker type jacket with a hood over that.
Hood goes on your head, jacket zips up tight as normal,cinch the drawstring on the hood, put on yer helmet, and your are covered. Depending on which helmet I wear, I may have to push the cowl of the hood back from my peripheral, but this works to keeps the drips off the helmet from going down your neck, and cost is insignificant when compared to "real" motorcycle rain gear.
If you have already invested money into crash worthy jackets and such, then all you need is a raincover.

it's not like teaching snails to jump,,,
Why buy a new garage when a blue tarp will work?
__________________
peterman
___________________________


"She had legs just like a rainy day,,you'd like to see them clear up!",,EPV

peterman screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 05:09 PM
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #8091
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
Water proof is a relative term. Nothing will keep you completely dry. If it seals up tight enough to keep the outside water out you are going to sweat enough to get wet inside. As has been stated above the best set up is real raingear over the outside of real riding gear. I prefer a two piece set of raingear myself. I have one piece sets also but they suck to get in and out of. The best deal I have found came from MotorCycle Super Store. They were selling closeout Field Sheep two piece sets for $37.00 a couple years ago so I bought a few. Remember to buy at least a size bigger than you normally would so it will fit over your gear. A lot of the Waterproof Riding gear (like my BMW suit) relies on a Goretex Membrane that lives in the inner liner of the suit. That being said your suit will get saturated and become quite heavy. Anything you have in your pockets will also become saturated. If you stop anywhere you will leave a puddle on the floor and once saturated it takes a long time to dry. A real Rain Suit can be taken off or at least shaken off before you soak the nice chair at your local Starbucks. The other thing to think about is Conspicuety. You are a lot harder to see in the rain so get the brightest most god awful flourescent colored raingear you can find. Not only will the cars see you better it will help find your ass in the bushes if you happen to ride off the road while you can't see where your going.
I know you're right....it just means I gotta pretty much start all over. My Tourmaster rain pants probably won't fit over some real riding pants and I doubt anyone makes a rain jacket big enough to fit over the POS Tourmaster riding jacket I bought. So...I'm gonna 'make do' with what I've got until next fall when I will hopefully have saved up enough to buy a proper riding suit and the rain gear that'll fit over it. In the meantime, I'm gonna save up for a warm weather riding jacket so I'm not doing the sauna-thing this next spring/summer.

Thanks for the input and I'll bother everyone again when spring gets near for suggestions on that jacket, and...."go soak yer head" is NOT helpful.

OAN- I decided to 'postpone' the rifle build and...since I decided to let someone keep his 990 for a little while longer, I thought I'd throw the $'s at the Klr for some SW-Motech crash bars, the tblume-sponsored light deal and mebbe a taller windscreen. I have no garage, tools of any significance, and my mechanical skill says I coulda taken down the twin towers with a Dremel tool...so anyone willing to offer a workspace etc......I'll bring the beer of choice in quantity and promise not to drink but one.

I'm sounding kinda helpless and new here I realize, but I've been riding in a cage for the last 12yrs so cut me some SLACK!

(snails can JUMP?)
__________________
tried normal...didn't take
--------------------------------------------------
heh heh....yeah, I know buddy....it's just a Klr....I also know it's 28 degrees and foggy as hell....but I'm ridin'
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #8092
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 11,318
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #8093
Dansrc51
I need a cape....
 
Dansrc51's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,216
Timely topic on this thread. I got a pair o Jose Rocket pants that broke a zipper on one side. My old standby Doris says $55 to put on a new zipper.

That's over half way to a new pair. anybody know where I can get them fixed cheaper? If not, I'll be replacing them... and it won't be JR next time.
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #8094
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant
 
oldmonkeybut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Western Rain county, Oregon
Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
Timely topic on this thread. I got a pair o Jose Rocket pants that broke a zipper on one side. My old standby Doris says $55 to put on a new zipper.

That's over half way to a new pair. anybody know where I can get them fixed cheaper? If not, I'll be replacing them... and it won't be JR next time.
How bad is the zipper? is it really broke? Does it just blow back open after you zip it? One of my jackets started blowing open while I was riding along, which would leave me stuck in it with the toggle at the top and the zipper wide open. I was whining about it as I was trying to get it off in a fabric store in Corvallis. The lady running the place took my coat and went to a drawer to retrieve a new toggle thingy. She tore the old part off my coat and installed the new one, didn't charge me a dime and the coat has been working perfectly for nearly a year now. Monkeywife says $55 isn't out of line for a total replacement. As you know Women aren't cheap...
__________________
In a pool of Children s Tears
oldmonkeybut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #8095
peterman
cop magnet
 
peterman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
Oddometer: 12,423
put them on the next fire,,drink a good beer, and have a religious sacrifice,,pretty much like most of the people that post on inner-net webshites,,
__________________
peterman
___________________________


"She had legs just like a rainy day,,you'd like to see them clear up!",,EPV
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #8096
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Superpacman13's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Springfield ORYGUN
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechplease View Post
I know you're right....it just means I gotta pretty much start all over. My Tourmaster rain pants probably won't fit over some real riding pants and I doubt anyone makes a rain jacket big enough to fit over the POS Tourmaster riding jacket I bought. So...I'm gonna 'make do' with what I've got until next fall when I will hopefully have saved up enough to buy a proper riding suit and the rain gear that'll fit over it. In the meantime, I'm gonna save up for a warm weather riding jacket so I'm not doing the sauna-thing this next spring/summer.

Thanks for the input and I'll bother everyone again when spring gets near for suggestions on that jacket, and...."go soak yer head" is NOT helpful.

OAN- I decided to 'postpone' the rifle build and...since I decided to let someone keep his 990 for a little while longer, I thought I'd throw the $'s at the Klr for some SW-Motech crash bars, the tblume-sponsored light deal and mebbe a taller windscreen. I have no garage, tools of any significance, and my mechanical skill says I coulda taken down the twin towers with a Dremel tool...so anyone willing to offer a workspace etc......I'll bring the beer of choice in quantity and promise not to drink but one.

I'm sounding kinda helpless and new here I realize, but I've been riding in a cage for the last 12yrs so cut me some SLACK!

(snails can JUMP?)
I can see what prices I can get you tomorrow, I was busy today and couldn't get to it. I also have a capable garage and stealership tools if need be.
__________________
Current lineup
KTM 560 SMR
KTM 200 XC
KTM 640 ADV
Superpacman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #8097
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpacman13 View Post
I can see what prices I can get you tomorrow, I was busy today and couldn't get to it. I also have a capable garage and stealership tools if need be.
Cash on hand says the Motech crash bars are a for-sure go, along with the lights through tblume's connection.
....and as for the garage/tools and, most importantly...mechanical assistance....the need definitely 'be's'. If wrenching payment won't be in beer...you'll have to let me know what's fair.
__________________
tried normal...didn't take
--------------------------------------------------
heh heh....yeah, I know buddy....it's just a Klr....I also know it's 28 degrees and foggy as hell....but I'm ridin'
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #8098
Dansrc51
I need a cape....
 
Dansrc51's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
How bad is the zipper? is it really broke? Does it just blow back open after you zip it? One of my jackets started blowing open while I was riding along, which would leave me stuck in it with the toggle at the top and the zipper wide open. I was whining about it as I was trying to get it off in a fabric store in Corvallis. The lady running the place took my coat and went to a drawer to retrieve a new toggle thingy. She tore the old part off my coat and installed the new one, didn't charge me a dime and the coat has been working perfectly for nearly a year now. Monkeywife says $55 isn't out of line for a total replacement. As you know Women aren't cheap...
Full on melted teeth. In my frustration whilst riding the WABDR, I was trying to work the zipper back in line and probably did more damage than help. $55 is probably a good price, and Doris does good work, but it's more then half the cost of replacement. She fixed my leathers and countless track days later they are still in good shape. I think I'll go with Pete's suggestion, as I'm not a fan of Jose Rocket and only have them because they are a gift.
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #8099
RideAbout
Mentally Retired
 
RideAbout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechplease View Post
I doubt anyone makes a rain jacket big enough to fit over the POS Tourmaster riding jacket I bought. So...I'm gonna 'make do' with what I've got until next fall

They make them big enough. My Large TourMaster rain jacket fits "over" my XL TourMaster riding jacket.

Another option. Unzip the liner from the outer shell, put the liner on, put a regular rain jacket (the lighter the better) on over that, put your riding jacket (shell) over the whole mess. If water creeps in, it won't get past the rain jacket liner.

Not perfect, but I do this frequently myself. I have a very lightweight rain jacket that packs very small but will get shredded if worn on the outside. If it's not raining, but may, I'll stow it away and use it if needed.
__________________
West - "Oeste Sanchez"
RideAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #8100
Road Rash
Infamous
 
Road Rash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Original OC, in Oregon
Oddometer: 18,172
I use frogg toggs, for my outter rain gear, they are light weight, roll up small and have always kept me dry. I always throw them in my truck for winter road trips JIC.
__________________
"A man can never have too many motorcycles, like any good craftsman you need the proper tool for the job at hand. A man needs more tools than a hammer, the same goes for bikes." ~Mr. Cob~

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014