ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #9751
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
.....tolerance... for runout is iffy...
Yeah, I just use mine for balancing, and put the wheel back on the bike to measure for trueness.

The cones and shaft on mine seem to be fine.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #9752
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
You wanted a winter project, yes?

Tear down the front end, rebuild the fork with new seals and stuff- can they be tuned to you?
Rebuild the calipers- no need to replace them.
New rim and re-used spokes/hub etc- fab a fixture for truing and balancing (I have some ideas there)

Throw some rain tires on the Honda for the commute though...
I hadn't thought of the possibility of the caliper having a stuck piston, but nothing surprises me on the bike anymore. I've rebuilt calipers before and it's not difficult.

I was thinking the same thing about the forks. Just go ahead and pull them both and add new seals, and probably heavier oil. I might look at a Bitubo kit, but my funds aren't what they used to be. No concern about the discolored spot?

From all of your suggestions, trying to fix the rim is not such a good idea. I'll get to pricing a replacement, sans hub and spokes. I was really hoping I could press or hammer it back to shape, but the general consensus of weakened metal makes sense.

Thanks fellas.

The Honda is for sunny days and track craft. She's my soon to be classic that I put through years of abuse riding year round. She only comes out now to play. I'll just have to jones for a ride and drive the truck.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #9753
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,332
that rim can likely be saved,,but I would not attempt it!
Get it to a professional, no fooling, you'll only make things worse by beating onnit. Oh, and then do you want to trust a front wheel at high speed after you've whacked on it with a club? I have lead hammers if you want to smack at it.
Check the cost of repairing that one versus a new "upgraded" rim.
I'll betcha fixing that one is a fourth the cost of a new one. Woody's wheel works, maybe?
I had a snowflake Beemer wheel that was bent nearly like yours,,it was repaired fairly cheaply, but that was 30 yrs ago.
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #9754
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,424
I had Woody's fix a Vstrom wheel that wasn't quite that bad. With the cost of shipping it was 1/3 - 1/2 of buying new.

That said, it was an entire wheel. Not just the rim like that one. I'd say check with them. I'd definitely recommend them if you decide to go that route. Good luck!

Easy-Z screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 08:35 PM Reason: Derp. Proofread.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #9755
AlwaysBroke
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey all! New to the area and wondering if there are regular meetups? Not sure since there are 650+ pages. Need to make some new bike friends.
AlwaysBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #9756
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,980
Quackers last stop out by harbor freight, @5 on Wednesdays.

You owe me a

Usually the meatups turn into vulgarity and lies.

If we're lucky.....
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #9757
*REGO*
Commited Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
rim repair

[QUOTE=Dansrc51;22282339]discolored spot?

From all of your suggestions, trying to fix the rim is not such a good idea. I'll get to pricing a replacement, sans hub and spokes. I was really hoping I could press or hammer it back to shape, but the general consensus of weakened metal makes sense.

Thanks fellas.

I still say bring the wheel over here and we can take the major part of the dent out. Most people are concerned about cast wheels, yours is not. What do you have to lose? After it is done then decide if you feel uncomfortable about using the rim. Have you priced a new one? I have some wheel weights and a nice way to balance too. PM me if you would like to try.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #9758
AlwaysBroke
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Quackers last stop out by harbor freight, @5 on Wednesdays.

You owe me a

Usually the meatups turn into vulgarity and lies.

If we're lucky.....
Wow, I owe you a drink just for letting me know where I can buy you a beer? Jeez...haha!

Sounds good though! I'm great at telling lies and swearing like sailor. I hope I don't "forget my wallet" though.
AlwaysBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #9759
tblume
deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBroke View Post
Wow, I hope I don't "forget my wallet" though.
Dammit! You already know that one!?

I'm screwed...
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #9760
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Almost to food in Silverton, a little low on blood sugar, 30mph corner with a little gravel on it and my concentration lapsed just enough for me to end up sliding into the ditch. I went blank for the split-second I needed to correct. Cracked rib, hip banged up, some arm road rash etc. Was a good ride up to that point though.
Very sorry to hear this news, Linky...
Glad you are basically OK !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
Also, now that I have the tire off, how best to fix the dented rim? I wacked on a it a few times with a rubber mallet, but I think I'll need to remove the tire and place it on a work bench. Taking suggestions here.

My suggestion is just ride it.
I've been riding much worse bent rims F&R, in multiple spots, for years.
Tubes still hold the air fine.
No biggie usually, unless it bobbles.

The one-sided worn brake pad issue might be as easy as cleaning/greasing the caliper sliders. Happens regulary to my dirty rear if I don't watch it. Piston pushes from one side and the other side sits frozen. Easy to get a bit of rust on that spindle slider.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #9761
tblume
deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
I've been riding much worse bent rims F&R, in multiple spots, for years.

you're my hero AJ!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #9762
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post

Thanks fellas.
A true Northwestern Manly Man would take the wheel off, demount the tire and then take a BFH and whack an equal sized noogy on the opposite side of the wheel exactly 180 degrees from the existing one. That way they cancel each other out.

You can try and straighten it out. I've seen it work really well and I've seen it turn to total shit. If it works....there you go. If you fuck it up...you were going to replace it anyway. I prefer the press method to the BFH method as it a lot more controllable. Cold no heat. As for the possibility of it breaking afterward..so what, where is it going to go. The tire is wrapped all the way around it. The hub is not affected. The spokes are not hooked into that part of the rim. Your running a tube in there so the air isn't going to fall out. That isn't a big enough area to allow the tire to crawl over the bead if the whole piece fell off.

Let a few days beard stubble accumulate. Put on a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans. Crack open a PBR. Tear into that bitch and show her how it's done. If that doesn't work use one of your remaining non-bloody appendages to dial up Woodys or Buchannon for a replacement hoop.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #9763
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
A true Northwestern Manly Man would take the wheel off, demount the tire and then take a BFH and whack an equal sized noogy on the opposite side of the wheel exactly 180 degrees from the existing one. That way they cancel each other out.

You can try and straighten it out. I've seen it work really well and I've seen it turn to total shit. If it works....there you go. If you fuck it up...you were going to replace it anyway. I prefer the press method to the BFH method as it a lot more controllable. Cold no heat. As for the possibility of it breaking afterward..so what, where is it going to go. The tire is wrapped all the way around it. The hub is not affected. The spokes are not hooked into that part of the rim. Your running a tube in there so the air isn't going to fall out. That isn't a big enough area to allow the tire to crawl over the bead if the whole piece fell off.

Let a few days beard stubble accumulate. Put on a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans. Crack open a PBR. Tear into that bitch and show her how it's done. If that doesn't work use one of your remaining non-bloody appendages to dial up Woodys or Buchannon for a replacement hoop.

I'll go with Icehouse before PBR, thankyouverymuch. you can thank Peterman for that...if I'm going to drink cheap coporate beer that is. I got in touch with Rego, we are going to give it a try. I might even put on my finest dirty flanel.I haven't riddne in a month, this is getting out of hand. I need some shop time.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #9764
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,968
$7000.60 worth of damage to the Blue Pig. The tank alone would be $1200.00 to replace. Including all farkles I had @ $4700.00 into that thing.

Nice time of the year for a fly and ride...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909933
linkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #9765
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
$7000.60 worth of damage to the Blue Pig. The tank alone would be $1200.00 to replace. Including all farkles I had @ $4700.00 into that thing.

Nice time of the year for a fly and ride...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909933

If you liked the DL, why not get another? You seemed to really like it...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote