ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #10606
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
HA! Not unless I want to cache gas ahead of time. lol

Who in Eugene carries Benchmarks guys? Save me some shopping all around?
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #10607
Ed
Which way did he go?

Oddometer: 201
Rei

Where in the world is Ed? My Spot page.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #10608
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,886
Went back to 'Pig Feathers' for BBQ again. Ribs with the spicy/sweet sauce was great. Over 65 deg on the front deck, no wind, sea gulls, blazing ball of gas in the sky.

Weird where the frost was located. It would be 55 deg, but there would be frost in the shade. Almost didn't see it rolling into the Philomath gas statioin.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #10609
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post

Bi Mart
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #10610
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post

WTF are you riding? a lawn mower!?

gas up in Elvira,,ride to Bloo-jean and gas up again.
Ride to Lowell, gas up,, ride to,,Oh, never mind,,you won't make it that far,,
I can give you a small gasoline container that will strap to your bike,,it's a plastic whiskey bottle painted red for the "official look",it's good for about 8 to 10 miles with a big bike,,more on a small engined ride,
,seriously,, even if you have a one gallon tank, your loop ain't that long,,and with that thought,,you could start out later and still be home in time for the sunset!,,unless you ride REAlly slow!,
I would like to suggest the network of roads above the 18 road (Fall creek),,there are many that can easily constitute an almost all day loop, and several short loop roads for exploring!,,one of my favorites is to ride up one, down the next one back to asphalt, up the next one, make a loop above, and so on,,lots of miles of roads, some of which will connect you to the 19 road,,The Aufderheide Drive, and another plethora of gravel lostness on that side!
A note to your map reading, and sign spotting,,(generally speaking) roads with 4 digits in the NFS network are through roads, meaning, they hook up with another main road, or roads that lead to a main road.
The roads that end in a 3 digit designation are spurs, an out and back, and some of them offer some pretty good views, and so, are worthy of riding.(but most of them NOT,,because the danged trees have grown up to block views of the valley),,anyhow,,

All the way to the end of the 18 system,,,you will have had choices to cross to the 19 road side, or back down the hill a bit, make a left and come down onto the McKenzie river on the 26 roads area, just below Finn Rock at Crystal creek.

Next session,,when the snow is kaput,,connecting the 19 roads with the 58 roads to the south,,are you seeing how this works?
I have the OLD version of the FS maps for much of this area,,stop by my shop anytime, or let me know if you can make a meet-up, and I'll bring them for all to see and share. (One will cover a whole table)
Oh,, and as Apple Jam mentioned,,trust your maps,,
I use a GPS to tell me where I am,, I use my maps to tell me where I need to go.
Have fun is the #1 rule,,,safety third!

Oh!,,and the Oregon Benchmark Maps are at Cabela's, Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer's,,and so on,,just ask a clerk, make them earn the pay,,the bastids!,,AND!,,(he slurs this part),,if they don't know where the benchmarps smacks are,,then call the Manger and have them fried!

peterman screwed with this post 01-24-2014 at 10:06 PM
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #10611
peterman
cop magnet

Oh,, and another thing,,

When you wanna meet up with other riders for an outing,,we normally meet somewhere that folks can get gas at the last minute, or grab a quick snack, or a coffee while waiting for other riders to arrive.
In front of the skool,,, there is space,,but nothing else!,,meetup at the store,,grabs some corndogs for yer tankbag,,go from there
Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #10612
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

lol With the range I have I'm fine on the loops around here I'm doing but going to the umqua may bring more thought ahead of time. Riding a TW200, I've gone to reserve at 79 miles already once but I don't remember if that was mostly chugging slow trails or diddling on nice 2 tracks. Filled up before tonights ride and used 1.08 gallons on 77 miles, 72mpg looks much better. 100+/- range at that without reserve.
I've been running all over the hills hunting around this side of the cascades and never caught on the 4 digit vs. 3 digit fact, thanks on that.
And thanks to all three of you for the maps source list. That's on the agenda for the way to Lowell.
I've been above fall crk and the awfulhideout road quite a bit, just by going tho. I've never really looked at a map so plan where I was heading except to get to a specific place. That'll prob be the next area to explore.

Where or what is your shop? Maybe I'll be a nuisance sometime.
Loren
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #10613
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
When you wanna meet up with other riders for an outing,,we normally meet somewhere that folks can get gas at the last minute, or grab a quick snack, or a coffee while waiting for other riders to arrive.
In front of the skool,,, there is space,,but nothing else!,,meetup at the store,,grabs some corndogs for yer tankbag,,go from there
Part of my start was to see if there was a station there.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #10614
peterman
cop magnet

Got some chores done, then ran some errands on the KLR,,then went for a sunshine day ride!,,turned the little numbers in the gizmo over to say 50,000 mi. today!
Love the new rear shock!
More riding tomorrow?
Oh,, and doggitter,,on the corner of 23rd and A in Spfld, there is a 70+ yr. old Quonset hut, with a 65 yr. old machinist inside,,that'd be my shop and me,,stop in anytime,,bring Icehouse!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #10615
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
Got some chores done, then ran some errands on the KLR,,then went for a sunshine day ride!
Yep we saw ya! You...Sun at your back cruising along past Fern Ditch. Us Sun in our faces heading home from running errands and having lunch at Quackers. What a beautiful day!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #10616
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

I just got home a bit ago, went right down Main past you I guess, probably right behind monkeybut going past the lake.
Funny how things that are true tend to stay true. My daddy told me 45 years ago fat tires don't cut it in snow, he's still right. Soon as it was 4-6" deep forward progress halted, and I finally got it thru my head several years ago that if you can't be sure the end of the road obstacle is within sight, give up. I did, 37 miles into the loop, right past the halfway point.
One blowdown a few miles back was already chainsaw'd thru, only to turn back anyway. Was a great area to ride up there, roads are nice, scenery was nice(especially at the store in lowell). I was going to haul to Lowell and ride from there but rode from here instead cause I was late getting moving and didn't have the rack rigged.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #10617
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,992
Found Peter a lottery Duc (4300 miles):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948792

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #10618
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Found Peter a lottery Duc (4300 miles):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948792

Looks stupid.
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #10619
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
Looks stupid.
Wha......

No stitches?

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #10620
Ed
Which way did he go?

Oddometer: 201
Only got to go out for a short put on the Enfield this afternoon. I'd be up for a real ride tomorrow.

Where in the world is Ed? My Spot page.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote