Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #166
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 793
A bit of this and a bit of that

Funny how AdventurePoser appears to have an insight on Jackie and Valentino

In terms of planning, I tend to over-plan and double-triple check, and test everything and anything related to logistics. So the gear, the bike's mechanical prep, the equipment, documents, each piece of clothing, and on, and on. I just feel that although you can't prepare for everything, if you control everything (you think of) that you have power over before you leave, then you do not have to worry about the silly things that could very easily have been avoided. You just have to worry about whatever happens when it does, and that's all part of it.

That's the extent of the planning, other than reading and looking at the map. There are certain places that we absolutely want to see, but we will mostly be connecting dots on the map, seeking fun and interesting places to ride to, meet people, camp here, villa there...

One thing I have planned for is a SCFA or Self Contained Fishing Apparatus . I will be carrying a nice Baja 13 feet surf rod, and cast it whenever I can. It breaks down in 6 sections, and does not weight very much.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #167
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF
... Will you be on a tight and strict schedule, or keeping things open to be able to explore opportunities as they arise on the road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
He's on a tight schedule.... :) October to April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
... I'm just wondering which way they will lean on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I guess only time will tell....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Funny how AdventurePoser appears to have an insight on Jackie and Valentino

Yes, that shocking display of exceptional insight really bowled me over!

On a serious note, I appreciate your approach. If you're like me, it's no fun kicking myself for not realizing or anticipating something that I should have. So, I'll work to avoid that by investigating, often in excess, since I'm not the type to chalk up doing dumb stuff to 'it could happen to anyone'. It's refreshing to see you pointing out how you take a similar approach.

Connecting the dots and smelling the fish. It doesn't get any better that that!

What are you planning to do for map(s) / navigation?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #168
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
...Yes, that shocking display of exceptional insight really bowled me over!... :)

It is funny how we all have different styles and approaches to planning trips. I am just the opposite. Do a little internet exploration, grab some cash, a credit card, a camera, point the wheels, twist the throttle and go...

People say, "Why don't you plan more? Aren't you afraid of missing something?"

My response is that since I've never been to the destination before, everything I see will be new and wonderful. I've probably missed seeing some things, but I've had awesome adventures!

My cavalier approach to moto touring pays rich rewards because I am not tied to a schedule. ac_elite is a master at planning trips, and he's been on some awesome ones! And, I agree with him that a lassez faire attitude should not extend to personal safety, motorcycle maintenance, ferry and/or flight schedules. Some things you cannot leave twisting in the wind, especially when you are ten thousand miles from home.

AdventurePoser screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 09:49 AM
AdventurePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #169
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 460
hey

Nice ride report!!! Sitting in Chaiten today because we arrived on a summer holidays Saturday night and the ferry was booked until monday afternoon north on the 7. Nice to get a rest after the last 5 days. Cheers. SP & DP

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote