ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #151
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
You guys that have ordered the Batteries Plus version, did you order the 14-BS? I thought we needed a 14-S, but I don't see that option available.

This is the battery?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #152
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2wind
Received the X2-9 batteries, started doing the comparisons to the B106 Braille. Based upon what I can tell, externally these are identical batteries. Cases, markings, posts and everything external except the labels are very similar.

Both the X2-9 batteries came in one day, one had 12.63v and one was at 12.79.

I put both on my OptiMate 4 smart charger until it went into "maintain" mode, let them sit over night and rechecked Vdc. both have settled to ~ 12.7-12.8Vdc range.

I slid one of them into a 950 that I am working on that needed a battery, real world use/testing will commence with that battery. the second one will be used for load testing as soon as I get my hands on a carbon pile......

Short of cutting them open and comparing the internals I will do load/charge testing as soon as I acquire some equipment.

any updates on the comparo between X2-9 and the B106 ??

I will be ordering a new battery soon and would like to see some comparison before doing it.

cheers
hey, any results / updates ?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #153
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,540
so far comparisons and performance from the X2-9 batteries is the same as the B106 that is in my motorcycle. I have not done any carbon pile load tests, however have had one in my 950 now since purchasing it and recently did a bunch of stop/starting at the KTM rally while riding trails. battery performed perfectly.
Head2Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #154
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,057
guys, there is a VARTA battery of specifications that closely match the stock Yuasa.

Product data
VARTA FUNSTART AGM 511 902 023 A514
Article number511 902 023 A514
Product lineFUNSTART AGM
Voltage [V]12
Battery Capacity [Ah]11
Cold-test Current, EN [A]230
Length [mm]150
Width [mm]87
Height [mm]110
Hold-down TypeB00
Pole Positions1
Terminal TypeY11
SC

and it sells for approx 110$ here

does anybody have experiece with VARTA batteries ? especially in hot/humid climates ?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #155
SeanW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Has anyone tried the new Lithium Ion Polymer batteries for bikes?

Half the weight, half the size, so theoretically twice as good ?
SeanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #156
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Guys, I walked into a Batteries Plus last week after reading this thread and inquired about the X2-9. The guy showed me one, said $80 and its yours. Done deal, it's working just fine. What's not to love?
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #157
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW
Has anyone tried the new Lithium Ion Polymer batteries for bikes?

Half the weight, half the size, so theoretically twice as good ?
Li-po (lithium polymer) is a deadly combination for what we do with bikes. The batteries are highly unstable to shock, puncture, and heat. They also require advanced charging ciruits. DO NOT USE.

xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #158
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Well, since I bit on the Braille fiasco, I have a perfectly good 950 ADV Yuasa and a BMW R12GS battery(s) sitting on the bench if anyone needs one...e-me and we can cut a dealio.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #159
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

From what I have found, Lithium Iron Polymer (LiFePo4) are stable and could be used in this application. LiPo batteries need to be charged correctly and therefore may not be well suited for most motorcycles as the charging systems are typically not designed for anything other than LA batteries. IF you run a LiPo battery, adding a charge controller will significantly reduce the chances of flaming a battery/bike.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #160
SeanW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Hi Guys

These batteries manufacturers seem to think that their Lithium Ion batteries are just the thing we need for our bikes.

E-batt www.ebattonline.com
Super-B www.super-b.com
Turntech www.turntechbattery.com

Can anyone foresee any problems ??? They do seem quite confident.
SeanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #161
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks
does anybody have experiece with VARTA batteries ? especially in hot/humid climates ?
Yes, Varta came stock in Husqvarnas (might still) and are notoriously unpredictable.....some just fine after several seasons, some shot within a few months.

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #162
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
I sent an email off to TurnTech about making me a battery suitable for the 950. I'll post back what I find out. I do know from reading lots of feedback from the battery owners of the ones he makes for single cylinder e start four strokes that they are a viable alternative. About half the weight too.

Edit: I am going to try out a 5Ah battery from TurnTech. It's less than two pounds! Joe, the owner of the company, said the 950 MAY need more capacity but the 5AH might get it done. I sent him a short email with a few questions and he sent me back a VERY detailed reply. Looks promising.

Johnf3 screwed with this post 10-15-2009 at 02:15 PM
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #163
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3
I sent an email off to TurnTech about making me a battery suitable for the 950. I'll post back what I find out. I do know from reading lots of feedback from the battery owners of the ones he makes for single cylinder e start four strokes that they are a viable alternative. About half the weight too.

Edit: I am going to try out a 5Ah battery from TurnTech. It's less than two pounds! Joe, the owner of the company, said the 950 MAY need more capacity but the 5AH might get it done. I sent him a short email with a few questions and he sent me back a VERY detailed reply. Looks promising.
Please keep us posted. I'm very interested in these.
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #164
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,134
fwiw after installing a Braille this past spring I have had zero problems with it to date.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #165
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
fwiw after installing a Braille this past spring I have had zero problems with it to date.
for the most part this should be true. the rub is that EastPenn (the OEM of the Braille) OEMs for a couple other brands and is the EXACT battery for half or 1/3 the asking price of a Braille. As far as I can tell Braille performance numbers = creative testing+marketing. Technically these batteries WILL perform as advertised by Braille, the gotcha is they wont last very long if you abuse them, just like every other VRLA battery out there. None the less, the EastPenn battery seems to be holding up well, both branded as Braille and X2-9. One in my bike and one in a buddies. The other X2-9 is on the bench getting abused to see what it will put up with.