Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #451
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I think you need to do some troubleshooting with a voltmeter. 1st I'd check the voltage at the main starter relay, down on the right side just inside the engine protector. Get a reading both before trying to start and during.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #452
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Hil:

The point I was trying to make, sort of, is that it's just a battery. Meaning, to me, all it is required to do is to start the motor when I turn the key and push the start button. I don't care if it's made of unobtanium, marshmallow peeps, or lead from recycled space shuttles. To me, it's just an energy source that starts my bike. Once my bike is started then the fun begins and I move on. I am not in love with my battery and don't care what it is made of. It just needs to start my bike.

Summary:

- The battery is the tool that makes my bike come to life. It's not the part of the bike that makes me have fun.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I just came upon this topic AFTER ordering a Shorai. Did I get it because it was light? Not really. Did I get it because it was Li and not lead acid? Well no, but being totally sealed and no liquid did factor in. The part that I would like to comment on is, "it's just a battery." I've missed rides because I had to jump through the rim of my butt to get the bike to fire up. My 2007 Tiger comes stock with a battery that barely does its job. I am getting a 14ah, 220 CCA Shorai which actually fits compared to 10ah and 180 CCA. Unlike my original battery it will fire the Tiger up if I haven't run it all week in hot or cold weather. So it isn't "just a battery;" its a dependable battery. You don't just start the bike once and leave the bike running until you return however long that may take. I'd kinda like to know it's gonna fire each and every time I need it to. IMO, reliability starts with a good battery but the stator and RR factor in too (mosfet RR on the way). IMO, some of us are into overkill. That 18ah Shorai, just might fit into that category, but maybe a Shindengen RR is too.

TuefelHunden screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 08:51 AM
TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #453
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
IMO, some of us are into overkill. That 18ah Shorai, just might fit into that category, but maybe a Shindengen RR is too.[/QUOTE]

I like over kill, gives a little extra piece of mind out in the boonies.

Which Shindengen RR are you planning on using?

Max
Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #454
Lil' Irv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I just ordered the 18ah Shorai from BatteryStuff.com on Friday and it showed up Monday - that's service!

It'll replace the original battery in my '04 before the weekend. The original still does the job but I'm really pushing my luck with a battery that old. It's always goes on the battery tender over winter but never during riding season. I'm sure it's part care and part luck that's made it last this long.

My .02 on "just a battery" - the Shorai is just another battery to me until it proves itself otherwise. I typically take care of batteries and run them 4 - 5 years before replacing and thus far have never been let down. I bought the Shorai partly hoping for better cranking at temps in the 30's but mostly because I'm a sucker for new tech. The light weight is nice but I'm 250lbs so I doubt that a few pounds down in the bottom will be noticed. I have high expectations for the Shorai but at the moment it is "just a battery".
Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #455
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
IMO, some of us are into overkill. That 18ah Shorai, just might fit into that category, but maybe a Shindengen RR is too.

I like over kill, gives a little extra piece of mind out in the boonies.

Which Shindengen RR are you planning on using?

Max[/QUOTE]
I'm getting the FH012AA. I checked into the Rick's RR and that other mentioned earlier (I don't believe they are Shindengen and are probably Chinese knock offs). They are probably OK but I have yet to hear a complaint on the Shindengen.

I'm into overkill too but the 14ah is overkill on my bike. If I was one of those guys who have 20 aircraft landing lights, a killer stereo and a George Foreman grill on my scoot, I'd go with the 18 too.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #456
Lil' Irv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
+1 - Overkill is a good thing
Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #457
kitjv
"Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer: 261
Has anyone tried the PowerSonic PTZ14S AGM battery (12AH, CCA: 190-230 depending on which website)? Price is about $70 - $90).

Thanks.
'93 Ducati 900 Superlight
'89 Honda Hawk 650 GT
'73 CZ 250 MX
kitjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #458
heffa
Canyon Hillbilly

Oddometer: 1,008
Bought one for my 9fifty Adventure from batteries plus, $110.00 with shipping. Before I installed it, I used silicon to hold the nuts in place. Once the silicon set up, the nuts were front and center... Good to go!

Well, Strip my gears and call me Shiftless...

She said, " Your a Flippin' Moron!"
heffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #459
GreenPat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
The BS model is about 1.5" taller than the S model. It won't fit in the ADV battery box.
When I told the girl on the phone that I was looking for the 14S, and she said she only had the 14BS, I told her that I understood that to be a different size. Turns out it's not. cpmodem wrong? Surely not. Perhaps it's a regional difference?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #460
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Bluhduh 2 and 1/2 years. REALLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPat View Post
When I told the girl on the phone that I was looking for the 14S, and she said she only had the 14BS, I told her that I understood that to be a different size. Turns out it's not. cpmodem wrong? Surely not. Perhaps it's a regional difference?
PFHUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT
Must be a slow day in Mum's basement eh?
Sears:

Yuasa:

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 11:21 PM Reason: Add Images
Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #461
GreenPat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Well, I would take a photo of them side by side, but I left the 14S at the shop to get recycled, and the 14BS is now sitting in between my fuel tanks and bash plate.

It didn't have the nice big red 'Yuasa' logo on it though, it is branded 'Poweroad'. It did have 14BS printed on the front.

The bloke at the shop said that the difference was that 14S is sealed at the factory, and 14BS (Before Sealed) came empty. He filled it with acid as soon as I rang and put it on a charger, by the time I got there it was ready to go, though I put it on the charger at home for a few hours before using it anyway.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #462
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

apples and oranges

Well as you can see from the images, and the conversation back in 2008 that you quoted, the 14BS under discussion was the Sears battery. As you can see it is ~1 1/2" taller than the 14S Sears battery or the OEM YTZ14S Yuasa battery. Don't know what the person you talked to was referring to, but it had nothing to do with Yuasa or Sears batteries. There is a YTX14-BS Yuasa battery, but again, it is 1.5" taller and won't fit in the LC8 battery box.

Here's the original question I was answering:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
I'm in need of a new battery, and the OP lists the 14-BS from Sears. However, my battery is a 14-S. What is the difference, and will the 14-BS fit? The 14-S is listed as being available at my local Sears, but the 14-S is a special order.

Thanks.
And my reply
The BS model is about 1.5" taller than the S model. It won't fit in the ADV battery box.

-cp

Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #463
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Well, I have become a subscriber to overkill Been waiting for a 14a1 since May 13 and nobody has them including Shorai. Soooooo, they do have the 18 and it will arrive tomorrow or Sat. I'll take side by side pics when I install it.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #464
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Thumb

Good choice.

-cp

Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #465
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,476
Picked up my Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 yesterday, maybe get it installed this weekend.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote