Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #466
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Picked up my Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 yesterday, maybe get it installed this weekend.
I spent all day Tuesday trying to find an LFX14"A1"-BS12 and no one had them. Shorai sent out a few on May 19 but were already allocated. I thought I had one of those allocated ones, wrong. New ones are not "expected" until June 4. bross I'm happy for your good luck on getting one so quick. Only thing I really can't figure out is how the the A1 and A2 have the exact same electrical specs and the A2 is a significantly smaller case.

Update: it came in today, ordered Tuesday - OR to SC in two days -WOW!
Talked Shorai, case size makes no difference, the two cases are just made to fit then most battery compartments. Oh, yes, my bike has been sitting for couple days and voltage was 12.5v, the Shorai, right out of the box was 13.6v. I'll be watching the voltmeter for a while: new battery and new mosfet RR.

TuefelHunden screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 06:20 PM
TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #467
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,301
After 3 years and surviving my alternator meltdown my OEM battery was starting to fade. My BatteryBug was showing 30% and recommended replacement and if the bike sat for more than 2-3 days the voltage was down to ~ 12V.

Knowing that my stock battery is undersized I have been keeping my eye out for a replacement. I bought a Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 for $148 US. Not the cheapest but regular batteries cost me over $100 so the price wasn't a stretch.
http://www.shoraipower.com/

These new batteries are super light, this one weighs 680g, I couldn't weigh the old battery on my scale as it only reads to 3kg. Dual sport guys love these cause it's an easy way to trim weight. I don't care about the weight but just passing it along.

Volts out of the box

old battery after sitting for 3 days

quite a bit smaller than the OEM battery

shimmed with the included foam
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #468
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Where'd you get that "OEM" battery. The factory installs YTZ14S's in all the LC8's

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #469
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Where'd you get that "OEM" battery. The factory installs YTZ14S's in all the LC8's
Oops, sorry guys, didn't even realize this was in Orange crush. I had just been searching for battery alternatives for my Honda CBF. Backing slowly away now...
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #470
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Thumb Shorai

Excellent choice in batteries.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #471
KTMmiker
Moto Junkie

Oddometer: 143
Cheap Yuasa

Bought a semi cheap, "manufactured by Yuasa", "Motocross Platinum YTZ14S" at Batteries Plus for $119.00 (full retail no less). Same spec as the OEM battery.

Of course I carried in the "Xtreme YTZ14S (P.O.S.)" that Batteries Plus sell most of. That battery lasted close to a "WHOLE YEAR". But there was no sympathy. They put it on the load tester and replied: "Yeah, it's time for a new one."

Nuff said.
Past Flings: 08 990 Adventure, 05 Tiger, 03 Caponord ,02 Aprilia Futura , O8 Guzzi 1200 Sport , 08 Speed Triple, 02 Falco, 07 Tiger, 04 Sprint RS, 2000 VFR (Pretec), 00 KTM 640e, Bonnevilles and Tbird's (Triples)
KTMmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #472
Antigravity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMmiker View Post
Bought a semi cheap, "manufactured by Yuasa", "Motocross Platinum YTZ14S" at Batteries Plus for $119.00 (full retail no less). Same spec as the OEM battery.

Of course I carried in the "Xtreme YTZ14S (P.O.S.)" that Batteries Plus sell most of. That battery lasted close to a "WHOLE YEAR". But there was no sympathy. They put it on the load tester and replied: "Yeah, it's time for a new one."

Nuff said.
Oh darn, you mean you didn't want to opt for one of these super cool new hard-cased Antigravity units... 240 massive CCA 2 inches by 4 inches and can start the space shuttle (j/k)

The smallest, lightest and most POWERFUL batteries
Antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #473
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 237
Space Shuttle starter

I want(ed) to buy one !

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #474
lddave
been there

Oddometer: 478
[QUOTE=Antigravity;16372811]Oh darn, you mean you didn't want to opt for one of these super cool new hard-cased Antigravity units... 240 massive CCA 2 inches by 4 inches and can start the space shuttle (j/k)

wow only $179 .
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #475
Antigravity
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddave View Post
wow only $179 .
I see your eyes all buggin' out...But honestly it all relative to what we offer... We offer a 3 year warranty compared to Shorai's 2 year warranty which is much better than any warranty on a lead acid battery or Shorai... We don't have questionable (cheap) warranty voiding items like Shorai's (if you get salt on Shorai's terminals it voids the warranty, if you drain the battery below 12v it voids the warranty...those are some wacky warranty voiding items from Shorai, go read their warranty. Our stuff can be abused, our terminals aren't thin and we'll allow you to pour as much salt or pepper as you want on them all day long...

Sure we are a little more than some others... but we build our batteries here in USA, not in bulk in China. We are using ultra high quality parts like solid brass unbreakable terminals thicker guage connections and a more expensive battery cell from an American manufacture which has MUCH more cranking amps than Lead or Shorai.

Just wanted to make sure you eyes are bugging for the correct reasons..... But if you don't like the tiny little 8-Cell you can always choose from our other models which fit all the bike in KTMs line up.

Like the cute little YTZ7-S "direct replacement" case format (available starting Monday). An exact drop in fit for any bike using the Yuasa YTZ7-S which is every Enduro and Electric start dirtbike KTM makes up to 530cc... But this little guys has our 8-cell in it which has OVER TWICE THE POWER of the lead acid version of the YTZ7-S. And will spin up the KTM 530 with major authority and high ignition voltage save a good amount of weight and has a longer life than the lead acid it replaces...

Or check out our superduperdipity Antigravity 12-Cell (360 CCA) which is almost a direct fit for the YTZ10 and YTZ14....THE YTZ10 and YTZ14 covers the complete line-up of all the other KTMs... Yet our battery is about has 120 more cranking amps than those stock batteries or the Shorai, and weighs about 6 pounds less than the Lead...

Old 12-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #476
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,326
Your batteries look great, but I think you would be better served describing the benefits of your battery without the negative comments on your competitors offerings.

Better yet, offer up a ADVrider group buy or discount
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #477
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigravity View Post

Sure we are a little more than some others... but we build our batteries here in USA, not in bulk in China. We are using ultra high quality parts like solid brass unbreakable terminals thicker guage connections and a more expensive battery cell from an American manufacture which has MUCH more cranking amps than Lead or Shorai.

Or check out our superduperdipity Antigravity 12-Cell (360 CCA) which is almost a direct fit for the YTZ10 and YTZ14....THE YTZ10 and YTZ14 covers the complete line-up of all the other KTMs...

How well do your batteries work below freezing? Lithiums seem to require "warm up", usually by pulling some current from them, before developing full power down below 30F. Do your A123 cells work better than the prismatic flat-packs at sub-freezing temps?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #478
Antigravity
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Your batteries look great, but I think you would be better served describing the benefits of your battery without the negative comments on your competitors offerings.

Better yet, offer up a ADVrider group buy or discount
Duly noted.

We do have a standing 12% discount for all adventure members in the vendors section that has been up for a long while... ("adventure" is the coupon code) but I'm sure its been buried for a while and we try only to promote when new products are released so we are not spamming the site too much....We have 3 new batteries coming out which I will be posting on in the Vendors section by Monday so the discount will be the same as always....

We will be offering our new "direct replacement" series with the discount. It will be our power packs inside the most popular standardized battery cases used in bikes... Like the YTZ7-S , the YT12-BS and the YT12X...

As for negative comments... These are facts that a customer will not find by a cursory look at pricing or warranty info... and they are important issues. If I'm bashing and saying a company sucks that would be negative. But pointing out warranty issues is a not being negative.... their warranty specifically states "Over-discharge (i.e. resting voltage allowed to fall below 12.8V/ Lfx 12V).... Sorry, but that is questionable warranty voider.... They are stating if your voltage drops just .6v you will void the warranty on their battery? I can promise that at some point a parasitic drain will drop the voltage into that area, 10v is the area where damage may start to occur in a lithium battery... and yes you should keep your battery above that level... but a .6v drop from the 13.2 nominal voltage voiding a warranty is as I said wacky and is a built in catch all for them to deny a warranty... Sorry but that is fact.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #479
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,326
You might be 100% accurate on the 'facts', but IMHO, it still looks bad when Vendor A spends too much time calling out a specific competitor's flaws.

I think saying something like 'we have the best warranty in the battery business! Compare us to the competition' is just more professional than (paraphrasing) 'Vendor B has a sucky warranty, and here's why'

But at any rate, definitely interested in a new lithium ion battery for my 450 XCW and SuperEnduro.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #480
Antigravity
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
How well do your batteries work below freezing? Lithiums seem to require "warm up", usually by pulling some current from them, before developing full power down below 30F. Do your A123 cells work better than the prismatic flat-packs at sub-freezing temps?
Below Freezing they work great, we are pretty big in the snow mobile community...The reason is this, you can have a battery that is pumping out 480 cold cranking amps and at 480 cranking amps in a 1200cc sled in below zero temps it is not being fazed by the cold because it has so much overhead power...

So is the A123 Better in the Cold? In theory the A123 should be a bit better even if the CCA were EQUAL because it has the ability to produce a faster more powerful Pulse... But honestly I don't think it would be much different give exactly equal CCAs..... Not different enough to matter.... But the reason why the A123 would accel is because it allows for a smaller more compact unit to produce much higher cranking amps than Prismatic... So the Shorai LFX 27 with 405 CCA still doesn't come close to the power of our 16cell 480CCA yet is much bigger and more expensive....That is why the snow mobile guys dig us is because they can flip the motor no matter how cold it is with a 480 CCa battery that is only 4.5" long and weigh 3.4 pounds...