User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #61
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,062
Question 950 Adv

...does that rubber battery tray just pull out or is there a trick to it?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #62
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
For future reference:

Here is a chart of several replacement batteries compared to the OEM:
Model Type Activation Length Width Height CCA* Polarity
Yuasa (OEM)
YTZ14S

AGM-VRLA Factory 6.00" 3.44" 4.38" 230 + -
Interstate
FAYTZ14S
AGM-VRLA Factory 6.00" 3.44" 4.38" 230 + -
Powersports
WPZ14S
AGM-VRLA Factory 6.00" 3.43" 4.38" 250 + -
Odyssey
AGM-VRLA Factory 5.43" 3.39" 3.98" 100 - +
Braille
B106
AGM-VRLA Factory 5.8" 3.4" 4.2" 210 + -

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 02-11-2009 at 02:45 PM Reason: Update Links
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #63
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

chrikee, why did I pay so much more for the Braille if it has less cranking ppower tahan the stocker???

Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #64
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
chrikee, why did I pay so much more for the Braille if it has less cranking ppower tahan the stocker???

Because of the 527 Pulse Cranking Amps at 80 degrees for 5 seconds. Honestly, when was the last time you cranked your starter for 30 seconds? Pretty sure way to let the smoke out of your wires...

And if it's 32 dress below snow falling on the ground?... call me a puss, but I'm staying in and watching Long Way Round again...

Cold Cranking Amps was a measurement developed for cars. And if it's zero outside, I fully intend to use mine!

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #65
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

electronically challenged

...OK, I'm in!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #66
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

It's all about trying to mitigate ambiguity (yeah, right)

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is mearly a way to rate batteries for comparison purposes. All batteries can be rated at different temperatures and duration. CCA is one of the industry "accepted" methods of rating. All reputable battery manufacturers will give the CCA. Not all will give the Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA). There is a correction factor for converting CCA to CA. I'm pretty sure there is one for converting CCA to PCA.

I suspect that the biggest difference in cranking ability with all of the batteries (less the Odyssey) that fit our Katooms, is how long they have set on the shelf prior to being installed. Shelf time and high temperature are the biggest killers of lead acid batteries. Especially with "factory activated" batteries.
Just sayin'

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #67
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Shelf time and high temperature are the biggest killers of lead acid batteries...

Excellent job on putting this chart together CP...

I think it might be improved by having the links directed to only the manufacturers websites... just sayin'...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #68
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Thumb

Good idea. I'll get right on it.

-cp

Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #69
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
I have a Braille and it seems to turn the motor faster than the oem Yuasa!
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #70
Hiram Walker
Commuter

Oddometer: 46
i've had a braille for about a year and no problems with it. Seems to have been a good change for me.
Hiram Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #71
camel990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Instructions for odysseys in parallel

One in the normal tray and one under the seat. Fabricated a set of red and black heavy connector cables cut to length then routed down the left side between the frame just below the upper part of the fuel tank and then behind the tank to route thru the opening near the tank shut off valve and into the battery box. Also wired a pigtail connector for my charger to hang just in behind the rear shock adjustment handle. (no requirement to wrench your bike to connect a charger anymore). I think the CCA rating is for a different temp as compared to the others in the chart above.
camel990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #72
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
CCA and puss.

[quote=PowerCell]
And if it's 32 dress below snow falling on the ground?... call me a puss, but I'm staying in and watching Long Way Round again...

Cold Cranking Amps was a measurement developed for cars. And if it's zero outside, I fully intend to use mine![/quote

You may be a puss and that's all right with me, but you surely would like to know where your battery stands.
I want to know which battery is the best and a comparing factor is CCA. However if braille is working satisfactorily, that's good to know. Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #73
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
Thumb Battery CCA description

From Odyssey's website:

Cold Cranking Amps: For all the power, durability, and life of our technology, the cca ratings can seem disapointing. That's because the cca ratings are misunderstood. Odyssey batteries are SLI (starting, lighting and ignition), so if you are looking for a starting or reserve battery the cold cranking numbers can be irrelevant.

The "standard" cca test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of crank at 0 degrees with the ending voltage of the battery being 7.2v. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds and some companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results.

A vehicles starter isn't designed to withstand 30 seconds of cranking so we feel the batteries starting power is more important. The Odyssey part numbers represent the 5 second cranking power of the battery.

The PC680 is rated at 680 amps for 5 seconds, 595 amps for 10 seconds, and 525 amps for 20 seconds. Cranking power is even higher for the first four seconds. Similar sized lead acid batteries are only rated at 180 - 220 amps.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The PC310 is the only Odyssey that will "drop in" the ADV, the Braille B106 is as close to a true one for one drop in replacement for the Yuasa.

Brailles descriptions of the B106:

Performance
Voltage: [?]12 Volts
Full Charge Voltage:13.8 Volts
Short Circuit Current (Max Cranking Amps):760
Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) 5 sec @ 80F: [?]527
Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA) 10 sec @ 80F:461
Pulse Cranking Amps 20 sec @ 80F:407
Cranking Amps 30 sec @ 80F:314
Cranking Amps 30 sec @ 32F:283
Cold Cranking Amps 30 sec @ 0F: [?]210
Reserve Capacity: [?]Less than 20 minutes
Capacity (C/20 rate): [?]10
Internal Resistance:15.8 milliohms (.0158 ohms)
Life Cycle @ 10% DOD: [?]2000

and their statements regarding CCA:

What does CCA mean?
Cold Cranking Amps is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery’s ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0° Farenheit for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

So far I am drinking the Braille B106 KoolAid. And based upon "field tests" of others, they have had good performance and no reported failures or running them down beyond their reserve capacity.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #74
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Excellent info H2W. The last part about a "new fully charged battery" is most revealing. In addition to the other superior attributes of the Braille, I suspect the fact that their batteries are "activated" closer to the end user putting them to work goes a long way towards reliability and performance.

-cp

Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #75
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
For the PC310 Odyssey we need to change the polarity right? Tomorrow, I am supposed to pick up my bike from the service. Let's see if they have changed the problematic Yuasa, if not, then I will order a Braille from UK.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote