Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
LukeKTM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Scandinavia and Nordkapp in July 2009

Hello everybody,

Together with some friends I am planning an ambicious adventure plan for the next summer - Bulgaria to North Cap in Norway. Countries to visit: Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, France, Switzerland, Italy , Slovenia, Croatia. However we'll spend most of the time for sight seing in Scandinavia. I would appreciate sugestions for ineresting nature, historical sites, gps tracks , places to stay , etc. It would be great if we could meet some adventure riders on our way.

LukeKTM screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 04:42 AM
LukeKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
wigge
Time traveler

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeKTM
Hello everybody,

Together with some friends I am planning an ambicious adventure plan for the next summer - Bulgaria to North Cap in Norway. Countries to visit: Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, France, Switzerland, Italy , Slovenia, Croatia. However we'll spend most of the time for sight seing in Scandinavia. I would appreciate sugestions for ineresting nature, historical sites, gps tracks , places to stay , etc. It would be great if we could meet some adventure riders on our way.
I hope you've planned for quite a few weeks.. I know from experience that Sweden-Finland-Norway-(Sweden)-Denmark (approx 7500km) in three weeks is at least one week to little. It's doable, but there won't be much sightseeing. Norway is especially time consuming to drive in (but oh soooo beautiful). Also pack a set of spare tires unless you know yours will last (it's not allways that easy to find spare tires on short notice, but should be fairly easy to find a shop that could change them for you if you don't want to do it yourself).

If you plan to go Poland-(ferry)-Sweden-(ferry)-Finland (or the reverse) I'd recommend to skip the big ferries from Stockholm to Turku/Helsinki. Take the smaller ones (goes north of the big beasts), the fare is about the same but the added time to the trip and scenery is well worth it (map). Also, there was no problem for two bikes to go that way without booking, but make sure you have enough cash (euro) for the ferry (Åland-Finland), because that was what worked for us, not plastic.

In Finland, find a camping site on the east side of a lake with cabins (preferrably with sauna in them). Fire up the sauna, have a good meal. /: Get into the sauna, cool off in the lake. :/ (repeat until you're fully relaxed or the beer is out ) Enjoy the sunset...

Inari (map, lower right corner), the resturant close to the tourist shops have some really, really good fish dish. This is also the start of 100km gravel...

Inari-Norway/Finnish border - 50km straight west (to the river), turn right 90 degrees, 50km straight north. Cross border. (100km gravel)

Cape North (map); Skarsvåg is a very nice place to stay in, climb up on the cliff (north-east) and you'll see Cape North. The weather is incredible unreliable so if you have good weather when you get there, get out to Cape North asap. Your sleep-rythm is wrecked anyway up here. The ticket is valid for two days (at least if the fog is thick as pea soup ).

Almost forgot Alta-Kautokeino, the old postal road... (map, GPS). Take it easy at the end points and where the postal road crosses 93, many people out walking. Friendly though if you take it easy when passing. Check out Norrlands first video, part of this road is included there.

Lofoten (map); It's special..

RV17 (Bodö-Steinkjer); Famous..

Oh, and Bodö is a really, really good place to find tires.. They have the central distributor there as well as extremly helpfull people at Helala (as well as the other shops). The store is just after the exit of the ferry from Lofoten (some 500m or so) on the right side. If you stop there (for any reason), be sure to say hi and 'thank you' from a fellow AdvRider.

Trollväggen and Trollstigen (map); Follow E163 south-east from Åndalsnes and you'll get to the first, back up and go south on 63 and you'll find the second one.

Geiranger (map); 'Use low gear'

Dalsnibba (map); Gravel road to the top (cost a few NKK), starts north-west of Djupvatnet. You share the road with other cars, busses, and everything else that occupy the roads in Norway.

In fact the whole way from Åndalsnes to Styn is really nice (63south-15west)

615 (Sandane-[5], map); I can only say one thing about this road.. DAMN! You're really pushing your bike if you go over the speed limit here (average). Newly paved, twisty as a rollercoaster on the side. I swear, I almost rear-ended myself here a few times.

Preikestolen (map); 2-3 hour hike on foot (one-way), I recommend to do this after 18:00 and not in the morning. Still lots of daylight left, it's not so friggin hot, and sunset photos have so much more life. Parking is free at that time and you can leave most of your stuff on the camping, and no rush in the morning after. Go to satelite-mode on the map and the camping is the grassy fields in the top-left corner. The trek to preikestolen start at Höllesli.

Bolten (Lysebotn); Missed this one.. Also a few hours trek on foot.

If you're not taking Kristiansand(Norway)-(ferry)-Hirtshals(Denmark) I recommend going inland from Stavanger to Skien (roads: 45-42-41-<minor>). Also the ferry between Horten and Moss gives you a needed break if you're not aiming for Oslo.

Do you want to cross the border between Norway and Sweden on gravel? Go on this road.

'Allemansrätten' is almost the same in Sweden, Finland, and Norway. Swedish rules here. Camp sites and cabins are plentifull and shouldn't be too hard to find if you have a decent map with you and watch the road signs.

I hope that gives you some pointers on where to go, what to see, and do. Good luck on the trip (and planning).

Cheers - Magnus

One final tip; Don't stop to pet the sheep on E6 in Norway, you'll block the whole road.
wigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
http://www.mc-addict.com/budgettravelinnorway.htm

Good reading for visiting Norway.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Croatia and Bosna&Herzegovina

If you are planing to drive through Croatia and Bosna&Herzegovina here is my RR, maybe it can help you. I recommend Dubrovnik, Split, Plitvice Lake and Istira region in Croatia, and Mostar, Sarajevo and Medjugorje in Bosna&Herzegovina.

My RR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291616

All best to you!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
LukeKTM OP
Adventurer

thanks!

Thank you all for writing! Magnus, your input is exactly what I needed. Great job! It will take me some time to analyse all the routes you suggested. We'll stay it touch.

I've been to Croatia's Adriatic coast. Perfect place to be on a bike. I hope I would find time 2-3 days next season to ride there. It is our back yard so to say . It could be a warm up excersize for the big trip .
Old 12-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
Sacha & BJ
where's my to do list?

Oddometer: 106
I am planning to go to Denmark, Norway, Sweden and possible Finland (take the ferry crossing from Stockholm to Finland) myself next summer. The Nordcape is a must do for me as is Lofoten. May be we can have a beer somewhere.

I'll keep a hook on this topic.

Bartjan

1200 Harley sportster (died...)
Various choppers (died also)
Yamaha R6 (crashed...)
04 KTM 950 Adventure
Sacha & BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
LukeKTM OP
Adventurer

Sure we can think of something. Our plan is to be in Denmark in late June 2009 and continue north. If you happen to come to Bulgaria prior to that , we can drink a bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha & BJ
I am planning to go to Denmark, Norway, Sweden and possible Finland (take the ferry crossing from Stockholm to Finland) myself next summer. The Nordcape is a must do for me as is Lofoten. May be we can have a beer somewhere.

I'll keep a hook on this topic.

Bartjan
Old 12-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,828
I plan to be in Denmark on 26 July, Latvia on 09 August and Estonia on 23 August. Nothing yet planned in between but hope to get to ride in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Lithuania, Belarus and Russia during the trip. Maybe we could .... you know...
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Sacha & BJ
where's my to do list?

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Bartjan

Yamaha R6 (crashed...)
04 KTM 950 Adventure
Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
MotoErik
like a kid in a candyshop

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
I am planning an ambicious adventure plan for the next summer - Bulgaria to North Cap in Norway.
I'm planning a similar trip myself... Northeast Italy to the Arctic Circle (not enough time to do Nordkapp ) I've been south, west, and northwest a bit, so I'm probably going to head northeast, then up. I'm thinking Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech, Poland, Germany, <ferry>, Finland, Sweden, Norway, --Gotta remember to take a break to see the family ancestral farm near Meraker-- , then straight down through Denmark, Germany, Nederlands, Belgium, Lux, France, Switz, Licht, and back into Italia.

Liesurely non-autobahn pace, I think I can do it in 3 weeks riding, about 4500 miles. Camping the whole way. Any advice on things to see?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
LukeKTM OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoErik
I'm planning a similar trip myself...

Liesurely non-autobahn pace, I think I can do it in 3 weeks riding, about 4500 miles. Camping the whole way. Any advice on things to see?

3 weeks is a bit too short I think. We plan to spend 3 weeks in Scandinavia only. The rest we'll make in almost 'AUTOBAHN' pace which shoul take another 1-2 weeks. Wigge from Sweden gave very good recomendation on things to see in Norway (see his post) . When do you plan your trip?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
MotoErik

Quote:
3 weeks is a bit too short I think.
Yes, I agree. Tell that to my boss

Quote:
Wigge from Sweden gave very good recomendation on things to see in Norway
Yes, I saw them (and appreciate much!, thx Wigge!), but was also looking for sights between Italia & Scandinavia

Quote:
When do you plan your trip?
I hope this year, anytime from mid June to mid August, all depending when i can get time off from work.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #13
Sacha & BJ
where's my to do list?

3 weeks is too short I think. I am planning for 4 weeks to do the trip from Holland via Denmark, Sweden and Finland to the cape. Return via Norway and Sweden. It will probably be in June/July

Yamaha R6 (crashed...)
04 KTM 950 Adventure
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #14
MotoErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha & BJ
3 weeks is too short I think.

Rough outline of my proposed route

I just spent 30 seconds playing with Google maps to show you what my plan is- that route is not complete or accurate (not that I'll stick to my plan 100% anyways).

I'm not really hijacking this thread, I'm just filling in some detail in the middle.. honest!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
puukko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoErik

Rough outline of my proposed route

I just spent 30 seconds playing with Google maps to show you what my plan is- that route is not complete or accurate (not that I'll stick to my plan 100% anyways).

I'm not really hijacking this thread, I'm just filling in some detail in the middle.. honest!
Hello MotoErik!

If I can suggest something and you have time I have alternative road tip from Lahti to Jyväskylä. Take road between Lake Päijänne and road E75, it is very beautiful road between lakes, made for motorcycles!. Smooth tarmac with beautiful scenes. From Lahti to Asikkala, Sysmä, Luhanka, Muurame - Jyväskylä.
puukko is offline   Reply With Quote