User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Question F800GS Adventure rack question

Looking at the pictures of the F800GS Adventure, the rear rack does not appear to have a crossbar. The TT rack for the F800GS has a crossbar. Given the amount of weight the bike is capable of carrying, I would have thought a crossbar would be a good idea to stabilize the panniers and help prevent the rack from cracking due to long distances on bumpy dirt roads or for the occasional fall. Has anyone had any issues with the OEM rack? Is a crossbar not really needed? I know the panniers themselves are made by TT, I assume they are good quality.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
Looking at the pictures of the F800GS Adventure, the rear rack does not appear to have a crossbar. The TT rack for the F800GS has a crossbar. Given the amount of weight the bike is capable of carrying, I would have thought a crossbar would be a good idea to stabilize the panniers and help prevent the rack from cracking due to long distances on bumpy dirt roads or for the occasional fall. Has anyone had any issues with the OEM rack? Is a crossbar not really needed? I know the panniers themselves are made by TT, I assume they are good quality.
Someone can feel free to correct me here, but the 800GSA rack has a connector under the seat. So there is basically a top brace as opposed to a bottom brace. The rack is intended to serve double duty as a gas tank protector, so I'd assume it is engineered to withstand the weight of the bike being dropped on it. As such, I can't imagine it isn't strong enough to hold up a couple of panniers worth of weight.

In practice, I have dropped mine, including on concrete. The bars didn't budge, and actually lefts divet in the concrete without a scratch on the bars, so they seem tough.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan13x View Post
Someone can feel free to correct me here, but the 800GSA rack has a connector under the seat. So there is basically a top brace as opposed to a bottom brace. The rack is intended to serve double duty as a gas tank protector, so I'd assume it is engineered to withstand the weight of the bike being dropped on it. As such, I can't imagine it isn't strong enough to hold up a couple of panniers worth of weight.

In practice, I have dropped mine, including on concrete. The bars didn't budge, and actually lefts divet in the concrete without a scratch on the bars, so they seem tough.
Thanks, that makes sense
Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the OEM rack? Is a crossbar not really needed? I know the panniers themselves are made by TT, I assume they are good quality.
Yes they are good quality and the only problem I've encountered with the stock rear rack is it's not nearly big enough. I removed the stock rack and replaced it with a unit from Black Dog.

The unit comes pre-drilled with holes for RotoPax and a Warn X-17 winch. I've used it for a number of extended runs and just works great, as all products from Black Dog do.

Compare the stock rack with this one. Much bigger platform.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,864
FWIW, the factory GSA rack is the same pn as the non GSA rack. It's well tested.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Yes they are good quality and the only problem I've encountered with the stock rear rack is it's not nearly big enough. I removed the stock rack and replaced it with a unit from Black Dog.

The unit comes pre-drilled with holes for RotoPax and a Warn X-17 winch. I've used it for a number of extended runs and just works great, as all products from Black Dog do.

Compare the stock rack with this one. Much bigger platform.
Yea, the stock tail rack is kind of a joke. I guess it would mount the BMW top cases? Otherwise, I wouldn't trust anything bungeed on it over 20 liters to keep from drooping and flopping around.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote