User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
mustardfj40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Scotts steering damper for F6500GS

Has anyone installed the Scotts steering damper on their F6500GS? How do you like it? Last week, on a dirt road at Death Valley NP, my F650GS went to serious steering wobble, thanked god I didn't crash.

Also notice that Scotts damper for F650GS costs $30 more than the one for F800GS.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I have one on the 800GS, great piece of equipment... not sure why it is more for a 650, thought it would be interchangeable but I am not sure
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Scott's damper is the BEST thing you can add to that bike.
Steering Damper is like having the gentle hand of GOD, invisibly guiding you through the worst rutted,hacked, scarred earth, where you THOUGHT the trail should be.
Damn the torpedoes, BUY it at any price.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Steering Damper is like having the gentle hand of GOD, invisibly guiding you through the worst rutted,hacked, scarred earth, where you THOUGHT the trail should be.
Well now. If I was on the fence about one, how can I be after that?? Ha

I've been thinking that's the next mod, just trying to wait until I do my hugger fender delete so I can make appropriate brake lines once.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
My first wobble/near tank slapper on my then stock F800 was in Death Valley. Caused me to look at the suspension and the first mod was to respring it. (That was before all the other suspension offerings were available).

Just doing that, improved the handling of the bike tremendously, both on and off road.

I finally got a Scotts damper and it is all they say. It has saved my butt a few times and given the bike a completely different feel even on pavement.

If your weight is anywhere above 185lb then I look at the damper as a band aid fix, without addressing the core issue. If it saves you butt, that's good too.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 03:54 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
mustardfj40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I weighted 135 lbs and didn't carry much on the bike except for a small back back and a Rotopax...I'm an avid mountain biker and have been to much more technical trails (on a mountain bike) than this dirt road but this motorcycle steering wobble was a first for me. I read about it and denied that it could happened to me...OMG!!!

How does it feel differently on the pavements?

Thanks guys!
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

It some how gives the bike a heavier steering feel to it. The bike feels heavier and more planted.

That's with the mid range setting that mine was set at on delivery. For off road I usually crank a 1/2 turn more.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

If your weight is anywhere above 185lb then I look at the damper as a band aid fix, without addressing the core issue.

How so?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
indio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Has anyone installed the Scotts steering damper on their F6500GS? How do you like it? Last week, on a dirt road at Death Valley NP, my F650GS went to serious steering wobble, thanked god I didn't crash.

Also notice that Scotts damper for F650GS costs $30 more than the one for F800GS.
I have it on my 09 F650GS. After installing it immediately felt a difference in steering response. Did DV Noob rally earlier this year & who knows probably saved my skin while riding in DV .

indio screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 08:31 PM
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
How so?
At 200lbs at the time, the suspension was soft, the bike would weave in the wind with knobbys. It tended to run wide in corners and the front would not bite in dirt.

Maybe a damper would solve all those issues, I never had an opportunity to test it.

A couple years before I got the Scott damper, I resprung the bike and between less sag in the rear and lowering the front a bit, all those problems went away.

I was going back to Death Valley and added the Damper for the occasion. It saved my butt in some sand and silt. I probably could manage without it, but I just like the feel of it.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
At 200lbs at the time, the suspension was soft, the bike would weave in the wind with knobbys. It tended to run wide in corners and the front would not bite in dirt.

Maybe a damper would solve all those issues, I never had an opportunity to test it.

A couple years before I got the Scott damper, I resprung the bike and between less sag in the rear and lowering the front a bit, all those problems went away.

I was going back to Death Valley and added the Damper for the occasion. It saved my butt in some sand and silt. I probably could manage without it, but I just like the feel of it.
Interesting. I'm trying to learn more about them. As an aside, I'm enjoying the HyperPro spring swap on mine, but still think I'd like to try the dampener. I ask because in full gear, I'm about 200#
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

My first springs were Hyperpro.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 AM   #13
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
I have one on my F8,

I believe it is well worth it. Many people consider it to be a safety device.

BUT, the way I have mine set up, you don't notice it for most riding.

What it does is damp the fast movements of the handle bars, if you feel it in slow maneuvers its set too tight.

When I was completely convinced about it I was on a back road in New Mexico and hit some deep sand at about 45mph. When I handled it completely wrong and tried to slow down, the damper kept me straight. Then I remembered what I had read about sand and speed up.

I will agree with ITSATDM and state I would improve the suspension first, forks first and then the shock.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 AM   #14
trail90man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Very eloquently stated, and completely true!
trail90man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
Beairmo
Keeping it real

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
I have one on my F8,

I believe it is well worth it. Many people consider it to be a safety device.

BUT, the way I have mine set up, you don't notice it for most riding.

What it does is damp the fast movements of the handle bars, if you feel it in slow maneuvers its set too tight.

When I was completely convinced about it I was on a back road in New Mexico and hit some deep sand at about 45mph. When I handled it completely wrong and tried to slow down, the damper kept me straight. Then I remembered what I had read about sand and speed up.

I will agree with ITSATDM and state I would improve the suspension first, forks first and then the shock.

Looking at the Scotts website at the Steering Stabilizer for 2013 F800GS, they offer it in two versions: "Off-Road without Rebound" and "Road Type with Rebound"....

Since I am interested mostly in off-road riding, should I get the off road version? What exactly is the rebound damping feature?

I have a WR450F and consider myself an experienced of road rider. I felt from the first time I road my F8 it needed steering damping. But didn't have any experience in this and have been reading up on suspension mods. And by the way, unlike numerous people on this forum, don't really feel like the suspension is too soft. Since mine is newer and has the WP front forks perhaps its not as soft as the earlier versions. I weigh 200lbs.

Should I spend the $600 on the steering damper BEFORE upgrading the suspension?

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote